Author Topic: Current position/Update  (Read 47819 times)

Turjan

• Elite Boss
  • You cannot kill a dream
Re: Current position/Update
« Reply #60 on: November 06, 2012, 02:16:46 PM »
He seems like the kind of guy who likes power and would love nothing more than to dig in his heels if it hurts those who have become his enemies. As evidenced by his handling of previous game closures, he's even willing to completely absorb enormous financial losses rather than give comfort to his enemies by liquidating for fractional recovery.

He's certainly willing to absorb huge financial losses, but not necessarily always to spite his enemies. Don't forget that in 2005 he gave away a 3.84% stake in NCsoft to his wife at the time, Eui-jeong Chung, as part of a divorce settlement. If there's any larger conclusion to be drawn from that though, I don't know what it is - I merely mention the fact for the record.

Divorce, wherever it happens in the world, does tend to follow at least some logical parameters in terms of settlement. But the share deal Kim made with Nexon is less logical...at least on the face of it :-

Speculation mounts over NCsoft

But the more I ponder it, the more I'm thinking Kim's personal "realignment of focus" may be leaning towards taking a backseat, more sort of executive consultant role in the NC-Nexon behemoth. I think he's trying to cash himself out as gracefully as he can while still retaining that needlessly melodramatic 'kibun' culture mask apparently so important in Korean business.

His transfer of power from NCsoft to Nexon earned him $685million from the sale of 2/3 of his personal stock directly to to Nexon...at $16 per share less than the market price, it should be pointed out. A quick calculation shows that in doing so, Kim netted himself $51million less than he would've got if he'd simply sold the same number of shares on the stock market.

So you're talking here about a man who's content to lose $51million as part of some long term scheme. Perhaps he wants to move his attentions to running the company's pro-baseball team - Korean pro-baseball teams do usually run at a loss, so maybe he needs the extra cash in pocket to indulge that particular fancy.

But if he's backing out of running NCsoft, he also wants his legacy to remain...and I think that's where retaining the IPs comes in. Those IPs are his great creative assets of the past - sure, all but one of the ones he's closed were failing financially, but each was its own creative world after all, and I believe he wants to keep them just because of that - they are his 'Trophy Intellectual Properties'.

Quinch

« Reply #61 on: November 06, 2012, 02:51:22 PM »
And as long as he has the IPs still in NCsoft's hands, he can wander down his MMO Hall of Fame, looking at the IPs frozen in their display cases, and he can live vicariously through the work of others, thinking to himself "I made these worlds!".

Frankly, the more I think about it, the less I see it as a Hall of Fame, and more as a collection of ears on a string.

But I might be feeling just a little bit hostile.

Undercat

• Minion
« Reply #62 on: November 06, 2012, 02:52:23 PM »
His transfer of power from NCsoft to Nexon earned him $685million from the sale of 2/3 of his personal stock directly to to Nexon...at $16 per share less than the market price, it should be pointed out. A quick calculation shows that in doing so, Kim netted himself $51million less than he would've got if he'd simply sold the same number of shares on the stock market.

Equity trading prices are determined at the margins, not by core investors. Dumping 15% of a company's outstanding shares at once would unquestionably have exceeded elastic demand for the stock, causing its price to tank. It's unlikely, in other words, that he would even have made $680 million if he had tried to sell the stock through the open market mechanism. However, I tend to agree with your point about Kim possibly distancing himself from the day-to-day operation of the company, and that might well be a good thing.

Mister Bison

• Elite Boss
  • *psychotic grin*
« Reply #63 on: November 06, 2012, 03:12:05 PM »
Mr. Taek-Jin Kim... hopefully it's not an anagram of Mender Silos, or people would really begin to overthink things :-)
Yeeessss....

Quinch

« Reply #64 on: November 06, 2012, 03:25:19 PM »
All I've got is Knit Maim Jerk .

jabiggers

• Minion
« Reply #65 on: November 06, 2012, 03:32:27 PM »
This is all just my speculation, but perhaps they are closing City of Heroes to lower the overall operating costs of the company, trying to recoup their loses and development costs when B&S hits stores.

I have a feeling the merger with Nexon is happening in order to re-enter the US market(since they will now have more resources to do so) and with better success. They don't have the right recipe to make a great US game, but maybe Nexon does..

just my 2 cents

Quinch

« Reply #66 on: November 06, 2012, 03:39:03 PM »
There's nothing to recoup, really. With the IP not for sale, and the game having operated at profit, the only assets they actually free up are what, some server banks?

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #67 on: November 06, 2012, 04:08:31 PM »
Not sure about anyone else, here, but I would not lose a minute of sleep if, whatever the cause, NCSoft goes down like the Hindenburg. Is it what I'm here for? Of course not.  Am I actively pursuing it? Absolutely not. But my most developed characters are red side.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

jabiggers

• Minion
« Reply #68 on: November 06, 2012, 04:26:18 PM »
There's nothing to recoup, really. With the IP not for sale, and the game having operated at profit, the only assets they actually free up are what, some server banks?

I'm talking about Tabula Rasa and Auto Assault, there's a lot of money that was lost there that they would love to make back

but it still would make sense to actually sell the CoH IP to help make up for the lost money, but maybe they don't want to be shown up by another company making CoH more profitable than they did

Turjan

• Elite Boss
  • You cannot kill a dream
« Reply #69 on: November 06, 2012, 11:04:37 PM »

Jordan_Lee

• Lieutenant
« Reply #70 on: November 07, 2012, 02:19:10 AM »

P51mus

• Boss
  • aka Pitho
« Reply #71 on: November 07, 2012, 07:02:58 AM »
This is all so very far over my head. Does this mean I also need a Boycott Nexon pic on my facebook? Anyone got one of those?

Well, according to this conspiracy theory, Taek-Jin Kim(Of NCSoft) killed CoH so Min Kim(Of Nexon) wouldn't be able to run City of Heroes, I think  Seems a bit weird to think that they'd shut down a game so a new business partner wouldn't be able to use it.  I suppose people have done more insane things, but seems unlikely.  Then again, I did think a profitable mmo was extremely unlikely to get shut down, and here we are.

Nexon tends to have pretty shitty customer service (with Tickets taking weeks to resolve at times), the free nexon points stuff is really shady(I'm pretty sure most of the surveys are scams), and they really agressively push their cash shop stuff, but they do make some interesting games that tend to have you fighting large amounts of enemies at once (as opposed to the player equals 1 mob mmo style, which I believe NCSoft games other than CoH follow).

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!
« Reply #72 on: November 07, 2012, 08:36:00 AM »
(as opposed to the player equals 1 mob mmo style, which I believe NCSoft games other than CoH follow).
Hmm, the only exception there would be GW1 I think - but then again, you have either a party of NPCs with you, or other players to help you fight the (sometimes large) groups of mobs.
You might be able to in Lineage 2 as well, since I remember fighting multiple enemies in the first game too.
Aion is generally one or two mobs at a time.

cygnata

• Minion
« Reply #73 on: November 08, 2012, 02:23:01 PM »
Just be careful that after the shutdown, all copies of the server code and anything else related to the engine might "disappear" with a reformat. "Oh, sorry, we *can't* bring it back, it all got deleted!"

Terwyn

• Plan Z: Business/Marketing Lead
  • Elite Boss
    • Missing Worlds
« Reply #74 on: November 08, 2012, 02:56:49 PM »
Just be careful that after the shutdown, all copies of the server code and anything else related to the engine might "disappear" with a reformat. "Oh, sorry, we *can't* bring it back, it all got deleted!"

They do that, there shall be no mercy. Ever.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction.
- Albert Einstein

http://missingworlds.wordpress.com

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #75 on: November 08, 2012, 03:31:49 PM »
Unlikely, it's almost always archived somewhere (until all copies eventually go extinct to media failure or corruption).
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #76 on: November 08, 2012, 11:52:39 PM »
The complete deletion of all related materials would result in a maelstrom so potent the resulting backlash would make their ancestors quake in fear.
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

Mistress Urd

• Elite Boss
« Reply #77 on: November 09, 2012, 07:21:17 AM »
Heh, I see that Valve is joining forces with Nexon.   :P Ouch!

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #78 on: November 09, 2012, 07:51:00 AM »
Currently only for Dota2.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

NecrotechMaster

• Elite Boss
  • is there a badge for that?
« Reply #79 on: November 09, 2012, 08:05:38 AM »
at least nexon is still making some smart decisions to promote some of their games

im not 100% sure if its nexons fault that the coh closure decision was made, but of course theres still quite a lot of ambiguity in whats going on that anything could be possible, nearing an episode of conspiracy theories lol