Author Topic: To the Pain...  (Read 25149 times)

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
Re: To the Pain...
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2012, 09:20:04 PM »
I had to go there.

Kaiser Tarantula

• Elite Boss
  • @Nerva
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2012, 09:42:04 PM »
Put down Point Blank then as well... similar situation. And Lineage in the US market.

Although I do believe that in both of the above cases, NCsoft were just licensed for those regions, and no others. (Side note: Nexon (according to Wikipedia) also shuttered Dragonica in *their own* region as well (which apparently is Korea... but the wiki pages list NCsoft for Korea *confuzzled*)

Actually gPotato released the game in Europe, and not THQ Ice. So there were 2 publishers for the "Western" market (side note: Russia always seems to be different, so if you include it in the Western World... that would be 3 publishers).

And if we are going to that route, how about City Of Hero, which was shuttered so fast, it might not have even been officially released....
Eugh, you're right.  I meant to say the American release was handled by THQ Ice initially.  gPotato has handled Dragonica in Europe from its original release to this day.

I have no idea what's up with the Nexon/NCSoft confusion in the Wikipedia article.  To make sure I had the right publisher though, I looked around for independent news articles mentioning Dragonica's closure in Korea, and who was in charge at the time.  This seems to confirm it was NCSoft, and also mentions Point Blank as well.

Anyway, my goal in the original posting wasn't to give an exhaustive list of games NCsoft has closed.  Just to give a quick sampling of names people might recognize and look into.  Most MMO companies don't even have a total of 5 sunsetted MMOs to their name.  NCSoft has killed that, and then some.

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2012, 10:01:42 PM »
I had to go there.

ROTFLMAO!!!

AWESOME!! :D

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2012, 10:27:17 PM »
You haven't see "The Princess Bride"?

Inconceivable!

Ammon

• Team Wildcard
  • Boss
  • UK marketing guy and City of Heroes addict
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2012, 10:43:07 PM »
He hasn't studied his Agrippa...

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2012, 10:54:30 PM »

ROTFLMAO!!!

AWESOME!! :D

I'm glad you approve. XD

Turjan

• Elite Boss
  • You cannot kill a dream
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2012, 11:07:09 PM »
I had to go there.
Classic :D
I've added it to the Community folder at the MMOKiller Photobucket

Kaiser and Mr.G - I didn't know about the Dragonica affair...I've got used to quoting the standard 5 NCsoft western MMO casualties - so just how many are there in total across the world they've killed? Terrifying... :o

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2012, 12:17:17 AM »
It occurred to me.  I have a website.  And I know how to use it.

Not just *my* website.  I am the sole possessor of the once-thriving RPCongress SG CCCP website.  Once we had daily postings of stories and so many forum postings it took me an hour to go through them.  Now...a ghost town.

But I can turn it to good use.

Starting today there will be postings on the front page about NCSoft's idiocy, targeted to get the attention of NCSoft's stockholders.  Ammon showed us how on another thread.

The first posting:

"NCSOFT PLUMMETS...into a dubious "refocusing" strategy."  I should have it written up and posted by midnight.  I'll let percolate for a few days then post a new one "NCSoft shares....replacement for City of Heroes, a game dubbed 'Tits and Bits" by players."

Oh it is not wise to engage in a war of words with someone who buys ink by the barrel....
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2012, 12:25:34 AM »
Oh it is not wise to engage in a war of words with someone who buys ink by the barrel....
Gives a whole new spin to "give 'em both barrels".
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Kheprera

• Elite Boss
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2012, 12:37:36 AM »
Can't wait to see what VV does with "stock and trade"...  ;D

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2012, 01:36:39 AM »

Not just *my* website.  I am the sole possessor of the once-thriving RPCongress SG CCCP website.  Once we had daily postings of stories and so many forum postings it took me an hour to go through them.  Now...a ghost town.

But I can turn it to good use.

Starting today there will be postings on the front page about NCSoft's idiocy, targeted to get the attention of NCSoft's stockholders.  Ammon showed us how on another thread.

The first posting:

"NCSOFT PLUMMETS...into a dubious "refocusing" strategy."  I should have it written up and posted by midnight.  I'll let percolate for a few days then post a new one "NCSoft shares....replacement for City of Heroes, a game dubbed 'Tits and Bits" by players."

It is not with the clash of steel on steel, nor the roar of musket against musket, that stands as drumbeat for the war of the Wordsmith. The Word courses through those gifted in its use, empowering them, as they prepare to launch bloody salvo after bloody salvo upon their foes. It is the scratching of pen on paper, the clacking of key upon board, that announces the impending doom of the enemy of the Wordsmith. Weep and despair, for against skilled wielding of the Word, there is no defense; naught but the ruins of a once mighty titan lay smoldering in its wake.
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

Mentalshock

• Boss
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2012, 01:55:10 AM »
I think this is most fitting, a poem I wrote a number of years ago.....

Mere Words:

Mere Words cannot heal
The heart that is troubled
Nor can they restore
Lives that are broken

What can unmake the wounded?
Or balance the dark against the light?
Or bring the pieces to the whole?

The poet crafts nothing more than words
And has no rewards but his art
He is healer to the unknown,
The fulcrum of the soul.

His words work in ways unseen,
Their value never known,
But to move the heart,
And shape the soul,
In this, he is king.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2012, 01:58:01 AM »
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Ammon

• Team Wildcard
  • Boss
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2012, 04:02:17 AM »
A great start.  Would it be terribly presumptious of me to offer just a few professional SEO tips in how to write with that one extra user in mind - the search engine?  A refusal will not offend, I assure you. :)

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2012, 04:14:04 AM »
A great start.  Would it be terribly presumptious of me to offer just a few professional SEO tips in how to write with that one extra user in mind - the search engine?  A refusal will not offend, I assure you. :)
PLEASE!!!!!!!

Ammon

• Team Wildcard
  • Boss
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2012, 08:14:39 AM »
Okay, I'll post up a quick guide that anyone can refer to later.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2012, 08:55:06 AM »
So, link that, post it on your FacePlace accounts, send it to your friends, Googlebomb the sucker.  Copy it elsewhere with my blessing.  The more we can proliferate the thing the better.

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2012, 02:22:22 PM »
How about...

NCSoft trades down from family-friendly and successful City of Heroes to scurrilous and questionable sexually exploitative Blade and Soul.

BryanSnowden

• Minion
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2012, 03:31:59 PM »
Damn... To borrow a quote from 'Sleepers' (1996) -
Detective: Hey, do me a favor, would you?
Lorenzo: What's that?
Detective: If I ever make it onto your shit list, give me a call. Give me a chance to apologize.

BTW - NCsoft, We are still awaiting that (figurative) call...  We have volunteers *manning the phone-lines 24/7* - Please feel free to contact us with an Real apology for your hasty actions in this decision.
THEN, Let us come together to craft a plan - to settle this very delicate matter.  Let us do this in a way that is mutually satisfactory - to the majority of all those involved (if not all)...  Be they, Players/Customers, Management/Employees of Companies/Corporations, Stock/Share-Holders, other Potential/Interested Investors =  Or anyone else I may have neglected to include in this list.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2012, 03:43:17 PM »
NCSoft trades down from family-friendly and successful City of Heroes to scurrilous and questionable sexually exploitative Blade and Soul.

While it's certainly sensational, I wouldn't mind some from the other angle, too. Harping on B&S for its T&A (hah, I made a funny!) too much just makes us look desperate and petty.

How about "NCSoft cancels unique, casual-friendly game. Introduces yet another generic fantasy MMO with boring, grindy gameplay."

Okay, so it's a thin veneer of Asian marital arts over a generic fantasy MMO, but who's counting. Everything I've heard about it indicates a serious lack of content.