Author Topic: To the Pain...  (Read 25062 times)

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
To the Pain...
« on: October 24, 2012, 10:10:53 AM »
Okay. We're obviously getting to the point where - as much as we'd like to remain polite and nice with NCSoft - it's just not going to work.

We're starting to go negative to give them a Public Relations black eye. Good. They have fully asked for this by their silence and they're going to get what's coming to them.

And the gloves will REALLY come off after Nov 30th.

To that end, here's a little bit of inspirational video to remind you that though we may be MOSTLY DEAD. We're still a little bit alive, even after November 30th. And our TRUE LOVE for the game will win through in the end.

This is also a statement of intent to NCSoft, should you be listening and watching. And should you STILL. NOT. GET IT. Even after all that's happened.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_keWS1i3RA

chasearcanum

• Boss
Re: To the Pain...
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 01:04:06 PM »
/agreed

To the pain!

Kaiser Tarantula

• Elite Boss
  • @Nerva
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 04:45:25 PM »
Indeed.  I can respect the desire to stay civil about this, but so far, being polite hasn't worked.  We're on borrowed time here, and we need to let NCsoft know that they can't continue to ignore us without consequences.

For eight years, since April 28th of 2004, we've enjoyed the victories and defeats, the comraderies and alliances-of-necessity, the friendly rivalries and bitter arch-nemeses of Paragon City and the Rogue Isles.  We have lived, loved, laughed, shouted, sang and even died in this game.  There are children of veteran players who owe their childhood to this game.  There are many of us who owe their mental, if not physical, wellbeing and improvement to it as well.  I should know, I'm one of them.

On November 6th, 2007, we celebrated NCSoft's purchase of the CoH intellectual property, as it meant that our game would survive a while longer.  NCSoft's silence was not troubling for us, because Paragon Studios opened their minds and hearts to us in NCsoft's place and spoke openly to their fans.  We adored it - creating dev-activity trackers to watch for their every word.  They spoke and we listened, but more importantly, we spoke and they listened.  We had open communication with our developers and GM staff, something few MMOs could possibly claim.  I've played enough to know.

For nearly five years thereafter (the anniversary will be next month, the month in which the game will be closed if we can't find a way to save it) we've been more-or-less content.  The deafening silence left by NCsoft was filled with communication by and with our devs and staff at Paragon Studios.  Then came the August 31st closure announcement, with November 30th being the final day of operation.  All of the devs we've cherished, kicked out of their offices.  The staff we've come to trust and rely on, reduced to a skeleton crew.  The I24 update, which would have fixed nearly everything wrong with the game and added so much more content besides, languishes incomplete upon the Beta Server, never to know the touch of a developer ever again.

For nearly a month now, we've tried to remain relatively civil.  We've tried to impress upon NCsoft the vitality of the community and the viability of the game.  We've made overtures to purchase sufficient rights and permissions to run the game ourselves.  We've offered them alternatives to simply shutting down.  We've tried explaining to them that what they're doing is a terrible, horrible idea, and that they shouldn't do it.

We have barely more than a month left, assuming NCsoft doesn't change its mind and close early.  The iron, once hot, has begun to cool.  If we are to make a difference and actually save CoH, the time for kind words is past.  We must prove to NCsoft that the maddening silence to which we've been treated will not work.  We've tried communicating directly.  They haven't listened.  We've demonstrated shows of goodwill and good faith, only for our efforts to go nearly completely without reply.  It's time we started hitting them where it hurts; in the pocketbook.

There are people out there still unaware of what's going on here.  We need to make them aware.  We need to fill them with indignity at how we've been treated.  We need to scare them, and let them know that if NCsoft can do this to us, they could be next.  And with how deadly quiet NCsoft is, it could happen at any time to any one.  Like a ganking stalker on a cold night in Warburg, NCsoft could come out of nowhere and kill your game.  If CoH dies now, how long will it be before Guild Wars goes down?  Or Aion?  Or Lineage II?  Or maybe Trickster, or PangYa?  All of the players of these games are just as at-risk as we are, even if they just don't know it yet.

We've established that NCsoft has a history as a game-killer.  Auto Assault.  Tabula Rasa.  Exteel.  Dungeon Runners.  Dragonica.  Doesn't matter what sort of game you run, NCsoft is not afraid to cut you down, without warning.  Worse?  You can be assured that when you do get cut down, NCsoft wills squat on the carcass of your intellectual property rights like a bloated vulture, too engorged to fly, squalling at anyone who dares to try and take what's left of its prize.  When Auto Assault was shut down, NCsoft patently ignored any attempt to allow the game to continue under someone else.  They even sent gift-accounts for Tabula Rasa and City of Heroes to players.  How's that for irony?

I, for one, am not about to let the vulture squat without a fight.  I have friends in a lot of other gaming communities.  I've been talking to them, telling them about the bad-faith activities of NCsoft, about their previous actions.  I'm not about to let this sit idle.  Already I've got people cancelling their subscriptions to Guild Wars 2.  I'm not anyone influential - I'm sure there's plenty of you that are a lot more capable of getting the message out than me.  But I don't care whether you're capable or not.  I don't care if you can only talk to one other person.  Do it.

Word of mouth made City of Heroes what it is.  It's what made it a success.  It's still our best weapon against CoH's closure.  We need to scrape off NCsoft's benign little facade and reveal the corporate monstrosity beneath.  We need to grab NCsoft by the wrist that it is holding behind its back and hold it up high, so that everyone can see the still-bloody knife it has clutched in its grip.  We need to point out the dying carcass of City of Heroes, and point to NCsoft's other games and scream, "THIS COULD BE YOU NEXT!"

We've shown them our hearts, and they've stomped on them.  It's high time we showed them our claws, and then used them to rip out their hearts!

Cry havoc, and let slip the dogs of war!

(I decided to record audio of this.  This is my own, spoken voice, in a completely raw recording.  I've made no editing to this whatsoever - you're hearing it just as I spoke it.  Stutters and odd timings are either the faults of my own speech, or are because my only sound recording software only records sixty seconds at a time and I had to splice it all together.

If you think it's useful for anything, feel free to download and repost it.)

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 04:47:26 PM »
Fooey, when I clicked that link, I thought it was a new Save CoH vid.

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 04:59:54 PM »
Sorry.  I was doing viewing some random stuff on Youtube. And Westley's challenge to Humperdink came up -

(I was actually looking for the soundtrack to the film by Mark Knopler come to think of it - because I am thinking of doing my own video tribute and one of the songs "Guide My Sword" seems like a poignant heroic melody)

- and I immediately thought - I know EXACTLY who I'd say that to if given the opportunity!

So yeah. I will do all I can to encourage people not to buy games from NCSoft. I'm going to watch for upcoming studios with their own games and warn them not to have you publish their games. I will do my level best to make Blade and Soul into the joke that it should be. And make it so that no gamer will admit to playing it for fear of the stigma attached to it.

I may be one grain of sand. But I'm not the only one by far.

To the pain, NCSoft. TO THE PAIN.

Colette

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 05:15:36 PM »
Okay, somebody find out how to say, "we hate NCSoft!" in Korean. Shouldn't be too hard. We'll make it into a chant.

Terwyn

• Plan Z: Business/Marketing Lead
  • Elite Boss
    • Missing Worlds
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2012, 05:30:16 PM »
Hatred is still too strong a term in my eyes.

We do not wish to destroy NCSoft, though we will go to such lengths if we must.

The moment that NCSoft starts to be open and truthful with us, and fully so, we'll have taken the field of battle.

They are already on the defensive, and we've been laying siege to their walls ever since August.

We are willing to negotiate, and we will negotiate fairly.

Because they know that if they do not surrender to us, we will never relent.

They can't afford to wage war with us forever.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction.
- Albert Einstein

http://missingworlds.wordpress.com

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2012, 05:30:36 PM »
Booooooooo. Because you had loyalty in your hands, and you gave it up. City of Heroes lives. And you dump it for another. City of Heroes supported you, and you treated it like garbage. And that's what she is, the Queen of garbage. So bow down to her if you want, bow to her. Bow to the Queen of Greed, the Queen of Betrayal, the Queen of Perversion. Boo. Rubbish. Filth. Slime. Muck. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2012, 05:40:08 PM »
Booooooooo. Because you had loyalty in your hands, and you gave it up. City of Heroes lives. And you dump it for another. City of Heroes supported you, and you treated it like garbage. And that's what she is, the Queen of garbage. So bow down to her if you want, bow to her. Bow to the Queen of Greed, the Queen of Betrayal, the Queen of Perversion. Boo. Rubbish. Filth. Slime. Muck. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Oh well played, sir. Well played indeed!

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2012, 05:46:58 PM »
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Ammon

• Team Wildcard
  • Boss
  • UK marketing guy and City of Heroes addict
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2012, 05:51:35 PM »
The next Rally should be a thousand player characters costumed as Inigo Montoya, fencing sword in hand, with the caption:
"Hello.  My name is Inigo Montoya.  You killed my game.  Prepare to die!" XD

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2012, 06:08:27 PM »
NCSoft: "We've exhausted all options..."

You keep using those words. I do not think they mean what you think they mean.

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2012, 06:16:09 PM »
The next Rally should be a thousand player characters costumed as Inigo Montoya, fencing sword in hand, with the caption:
That would actually be pretty epic! Someone would have to post screenies along with a list of costume pieces used.

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2012, 06:25:26 PM »
That would actually be pretty epic! Someone would have to post screenies along with a list of costume pieces used.

You know what we need?

Precisely THIRTY-THREE Inigo Montoyas, and no more! To gather in AP 33. :D

Kaiser Tarantula

• Elite Boss
  • @Nerva
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2012, 06:30:06 PM »
Just to point out one thing... Dragonica is *still* running. So, for a game that they have closed down, it seems to be an undead game.
Doing a bit more research, I've figured out the reason for this.

Apparently NCsoft only shut down the Korean release of the game.  It had no involvement with western releases.  The American release were published by THQ Ice, closed down, and then reopened by Gravity Interactive on Oct 28th of 2010.  Gravity Corporation then reopened the Korean servers on May 24 of this year under their own publishing house.

So yes, NCSoft is still guilty of trying to kill Dragonica (in Korea, no less!), but apparently Gravity either re-acquired the rights or was smart enough never to relinquish them to NCsoft in the first place, and was able to reopen the game under their own publishing houses.

I'll admit that I wasn't aware of these specifics when writing my original post.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 09:29:01 PM by Kaiser Tarantula »

Flashtoo

• Minion
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2012, 06:40:05 PM »
You know what we need?

Precisely THIRTY-THREE Inigo Montoyas, and no more! To gather in AP 33. :D

But we don't have his hair! We don't have that glorious hair!

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2012, 07:22:18 PM »
NCSoft: "We've exhausted all options..."

You keep using those words. I do not think they mean what you think they mean.

LOL!  Awesome.

Mister Bison

• Elite Boss
  • *psychotic grin*
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2012, 08:01:30 PM »
That "To the pain" description in the video (don't seem to have seen this film) makes me think of "I have no mouth, and I must scream".

I you wish to see a description of a horrific fate, watch a replay of the point & click from back then.

here is the most crusty moment of it
Yeeessss....

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2012, 08:59:44 PM »
You haven't see "The Princess Bride"? Fix that. Now. >.>
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2012, 09:13:52 PM »
You haven't see "The Princess Bride"? Fix that. Now. >.>
It would make this entire thread make more sense.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2012, 09:20:04 PM »
I had to go there.

Kaiser Tarantula

• Elite Boss
  • @Nerva
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2012, 09:42:04 PM »
Put down Point Blank then as well... similar situation. And Lineage in the US market.

Although I do believe that in both of the above cases, NCsoft were just licensed for those regions, and no others. (Side note: Nexon (according to Wikipedia) also shuttered Dragonica in *their own* region as well (which apparently is Korea... but the wiki pages list NCsoft for Korea *confuzzled*)

Actually gPotato released the game in Europe, and not THQ Ice. So there were 2 publishers for the "Western" market (side note: Russia always seems to be different, so if you include it in the Western World... that would be 3 publishers).

And if we are going to that route, how about City Of Hero, which was shuttered so fast, it might not have even been officially released....
Eugh, you're right.  I meant to say the American release was handled by THQ Ice initially.  gPotato has handled Dragonica in Europe from its original release to this day.

I have no idea what's up with the Nexon/NCSoft confusion in the Wikipedia article.  To make sure I had the right publisher though, I looked around for independent news articles mentioning Dragonica's closure in Korea, and who was in charge at the time.  This seems to confirm it was NCSoft, and also mentions Point Blank as well.

Anyway, my goal in the original posting wasn't to give an exhaustive list of games NCsoft has closed.  Just to give a quick sampling of names people might recognize and look into.  Most MMO companies don't even have a total of 5 sunsetted MMOs to their name.  NCSoft has killed that, and then some.

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2012, 10:01:42 PM »
I had to go there.

ROTFLMAO!!!

AWESOME!! :D

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2012, 10:27:17 PM »
You haven't see "The Princess Bride"?

Inconceivable!

Ammon

• Team Wildcard
  • Boss
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2012, 10:43:07 PM »
He hasn't studied his Agrippa...

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2012, 10:54:30 PM »

ROTFLMAO!!!

AWESOME!! :D

I'm glad you approve. XD

Turjan

• Elite Boss
  • You cannot kill a dream
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2012, 11:07:09 PM »
I had to go there.
Classic :D
I've added it to the Community folder at the MMOKiller Photobucket

Kaiser and Mr.G - I didn't know about the Dragonica affair...I've got used to quoting the standard 5 NCsoft western MMO casualties - so just how many are there in total across the world they've killed? Terrifying... :o

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2012, 12:17:17 AM »
It occurred to me.  I have a website.  And I know how to use it.

Not just *my* website.  I am the sole possessor of the once-thriving RPCongress SG CCCP website.  Once we had daily postings of stories and so many forum postings it took me an hour to go through them.  Now...a ghost town.

But I can turn it to good use.

Starting today there will be postings on the front page about NCSoft's idiocy, targeted to get the attention of NCSoft's stockholders.  Ammon showed us how on another thread.

The first posting:

"NCSOFT PLUMMETS...into a dubious "refocusing" strategy."  I should have it written up and posted by midnight.  I'll let percolate for a few days then post a new one "NCSoft shares....replacement for City of Heroes, a game dubbed 'Tits and Bits" by players."

Oh it is not wise to engage in a war of words with someone who buys ink by the barrel....
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2012, 12:25:34 AM »
Oh it is not wise to engage in a war of words with someone who buys ink by the barrel....
Gives a whole new spin to "give 'em both barrels".
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin

Kheprera

• Elite Boss
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2012, 12:37:36 AM »
Can't wait to see what VV does with "stock and trade"...  ;D

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2012, 01:36:39 AM »

Not just *my* website.  I am the sole possessor of the once-thriving RPCongress SG CCCP website.  Once we had daily postings of stories and so many forum postings it took me an hour to go through them.  Now...a ghost town.

But I can turn it to good use.

Starting today there will be postings on the front page about NCSoft's idiocy, targeted to get the attention of NCSoft's stockholders.  Ammon showed us how on another thread.

The first posting:

"NCSOFT PLUMMETS...into a dubious "refocusing" strategy."  I should have it written up and posted by midnight.  I'll let percolate for a few days then post a new one "NCSoft shares....replacement for City of Heroes, a game dubbed 'Tits and Bits" by players."

It is not with the clash of steel on steel, nor the roar of musket against musket, that stands as drumbeat for the war of the Wordsmith. The Word courses through those gifted in its use, empowering them, as they prepare to launch bloody salvo after bloody salvo upon their foes. It is the scratching of pen on paper, the clacking of key upon board, that announces the impending doom of the enemy of the Wordsmith. Weep and despair, for against skilled wielding of the Word, there is no defense; naught but the ruins of a once mighty titan lay smoldering in its wake.
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

Mentalshock

• Boss
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2012, 01:55:10 AM »
I think this is most fitting, a poem I wrote a number of years ago.....

Mere Words:

Mere Words cannot heal
The heart that is troubled
Nor can they restore
Lives that are broken

What can unmake the wounded?
Or balance the dark against the light?
Or bring the pieces to the whole?

The poet crafts nothing more than words
And has no rewards but his art
He is healer to the unknown,
The fulcrum of the soul.

His words work in ways unseen,
Their value never known,
But to move the heart,
And shape the soul,
In this, he is king.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2012, 01:58:01 AM »
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Ammon

• Team Wildcard
  • Boss
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2012, 04:02:17 AM »
A great start.  Would it be terribly presumptious of me to offer just a few professional SEO tips in how to write with that one extra user in mind - the search engine?  A refusal will not offend, I assure you. :)

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2012, 04:14:04 AM »
A great start.  Would it be terribly presumptious of me to offer just a few professional SEO tips in how to write with that one extra user in mind - the search engine?  A refusal will not offend, I assure you. :)
PLEASE!!!!!!!

Ammon

• Team Wildcard
  • Boss
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2012, 08:14:39 AM »
Okay, I'll post up a quick guide that anyone can refer to later.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2012, 08:55:06 AM »
So, link that, post it on your FacePlace accounts, send it to your friends, Googlebomb the sucker.  Copy it elsewhere with my blessing.  The more we can proliferate the thing the better.

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2012, 02:22:22 PM »
How about...

NCSoft trades down from family-friendly and successful City of Heroes to scurrilous and questionable sexually exploitative Blade and Soul.

BryanSnowden

• Minion
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2012, 03:31:59 PM »
Damn... To borrow a quote from 'Sleepers' (1996) -
Detective: Hey, do me a favor, would you?
Lorenzo: What's that?
Detective: If I ever make it onto your shit list, give me a call. Give me a chance to apologize.

BTW - NCsoft, We are still awaiting that (figurative) call...  We have volunteers *manning the phone-lines 24/7* - Please feel free to contact us with an Real apology for your hasty actions in this decision.
THEN, Let us come together to craft a plan - to settle this very delicate matter.  Let us do this in a way that is mutually satisfactory - to the majority of all those involved (if not all)...  Be they, Players/Customers, Management/Employees of Companies/Corporations, Stock/Share-Holders, other Potential/Interested Investors =  Or anyone else I may have neglected to include in this list.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2012, 03:43:17 PM »
NCSoft trades down from family-friendly and successful City of Heroes to scurrilous and questionable sexually exploitative Blade and Soul.

While it's certainly sensational, I wouldn't mind some from the other angle, too. Harping on B&S for its T&A (hah, I made a funny!) too much just makes us look desperate and petty.

How about "NCSoft cancels unique, casual-friendly game. Introduces yet another generic fantasy MMO with boring, grindy gameplay."

Okay, so it's a thin veneer of Asian marital arts over a generic fantasy MMO, but who's counting. Everything I've heard about it indicates a serious lack of content.

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2012, 03:47:26 PM »
I don't think "cancels" will get the "shows up on searches relating to NCSoft stocks" bit, though. You've got a good point on the harping maybe being excessive, though.

NCSoft trades down in company realignment, cancelling the "most popular comic book MMO" in existence.

(edit the above to accurately quote the glowing phraseology NCSoft still uses to talk about how great CoH is.)

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2012, 03:48:39 PM »
The movement as a whole needs to remain civil, but individuals are getting frustrated and starting to throw sucker punches.  And that's great.  NCsoft is hurting and still cannot blame us for a coordinated smear campaign.

Quinch

« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2012, 04:49:30 PM »
How about...

Heck, with the totaly-not-human-honest children in bathing suits, let's go with borderline pedophiliac for good measure.

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2012, 04:54:32 PM »
Heck, with the totaly-not-human-honest children in bathing suits, let's go with borderline pedophiliac for good measure.
That's really stretching it. You open yourself up to accusations of "protesting too much" if you see it in there. I know you're coming from the comparison, but in truth, the movements and dances and stuff I've seen, when performed by the kids and not trying to look for sexualization, are just kids dancing and moving around. The sexualization is only in the adult-only races or only due to being already overly-voluptuous.

Kaiser Tarantula

• Elite Boss
  • @Nerva
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2012, 05:34:44 PM »
That's really stretching it. You open yourself up to accusations of "protesting too much" if you see it in there. I know you're coming from the comparison, but in truth, the movements and dances and stuff I've seen, when performed by the kids and not trying to look for sexualization, are just kids dancing and moving around. The sexualization is only in the adult-only races or only due to being already overly-voluptuous.
Except that the Elin race has rendered cameltoe.  It's actually more obvious in the United States release, which covered the midriffs and removed some of the bikini-brief outfits.

Proof's in the pictures.  Left is the original Korean version of the outfit, right is the one slated for release in the United States.

C'mon, if that ain't borderline pedo, what is?

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2012, 06:05:30 PM »
*gets ready to unleash all of the dubious imagery that he has stored up from City of Heroes players *ingame*.

Not to mention as well some of the *very* strange (and down right explicit) talk that I have wandered into whilst jumping into a public arena match....

There's a big difference between manipulating the costume designer to create nudes and whatnot in a way it wasn't intended to be used (kinda like using Spore to create penis civilizations), and what B&S considers to be the gold standard.

Agent Borealis

• Minion
« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2012, 06:13:47 PM »
The whole "B&S is soft-core porn" thing reminded me of one of the things Team Ninja said about Dead or Alive's jiggle physics. It seems that both NCSoft and Team Ninja are so intent on marketing their own cultures that they don't realize (or don't care) that other cultures might find parts of it offensive.

Sure, we Americans market our culture worldwide, but we do so with the mindset of "profit over pride." American industries are more than willing to alter how others perceive them in an effort to maximize their profits. NCSoft, it seems, is so proud of Korean culture, that they'd rather stand by and watch their Korean-based games fail, then change their business model to appeal to other cultures.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2012, 06:17:20 PM »
At least jiggle physics actually makes some sense, since the human body is actually designed to move that way.

The White Rager

• Lieutenant
    • The Wordpile
« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2012, 06:46:34 PM »
I agree that we need to diversify - we can't just harp on the Blade and Soul thing eternally. We gotta hit this from more than one angle. There's stockholders, but there's also gamers, and the way to get the gamer community as a whole shunning NCSoft is not to keep yelling about CoH itself (forgive me), but to harp on all the data showing that CoH is the latest in a disturbing trend. We want to paint a picture of NCSoft as the worst possible investment. I see titles designed to catch gamers looking up NCSoft's games (curious and deciding if they like it, or just following up), and then have them reading about their record.

NCSoft to release Blade and Soul in the US....but which of their other games will pay the price in a year? Over time, NCSoft has shown a disturbing willingness to prop one game up by sacrificing another. Now that they've made that move with a successful game, whether anything they make is safe or permanent is a serious question any gamer must ask himself before he invests in a character.

Like that. See?

Ideally, we'll have plenty of hard data (help here would be appreciated). I want to be able to throw scary statistics and percentages in their face. NCSoft represents what percentage of the major gaming industry? What percentage of said industries shutdowns? What is NCSoft's shutdown percentage rate compared to other gaming companies of equal size? Throw in the links so people can verify the data, and we have a scare campaign of serious proportions. Because IT'S ALL TRUE. Truth bites. Blade and Soul is bad but the replacement thing is inference. The fact that NCSoft's shutdown rate is abnormal is, well, fact, truth. Factor in that now, for the first time, they've shut down a SUCCESSFUL GAME, and the message 'is anything NCSoft safe?' gains plenty of oomph. We have to make it personal for them.

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2012, 07:23:27 PM »
A brief video or multi-panel comic with a sequence of five gamers buying a game from a smiling NCSoft salesman. They buy, happy, and walk off. Then we follow the last purchaser - who bought CoH - past a window looking outside where the other four look confused, angry, and obviously lack their purchases. At the door is the smiling NCSoft salesman; the fifth gamer smiles back, and is shocked as the NCSoft person - still smiling - tries to rip the game out of his hands.

Cut to three more gamers, going for the three games NCSoft is putting out next (B&S, and the two other games that are in development), and have the fifth gamer show up in a superhero costume to warn them, pointing at the four despondent gamers outside. "How long until you're next!? Don't let it happen to you! Don't trust NCSoft!"

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #50 on: October 25, 2012, 07:58:54 PM »
I agree that we need to diversify - we can't just harp on the Blade and Soul thing eternally. We gotta hit this from more than one angle. There's stockholders, but there's also gamers, and the way to get the gamer community as a whole shunning NCSoft is not to keep yelling about CoH itself (forgive me), but to harp on all the data showing that CoH is the latest in a disturbing trend. We want to paint a picture of NCSoft as the worst possible investment. I see titles designed to catch gamers looking up NCSoft's games (curious and deciding if they like it, or just following up), and then have them reading about their record.

NCSoft to release Blade and Soul in the US....but which of their other games will pay the price in a year? Over time, NCSoft has shown a disturbing willingness to prop one game up by sacrificing another. Now that they've made that move with a successful game, whether anything they make is safe or permanent is a serious question any gamer must ask himself before he invests in a character.

Like that. See?

Ideally, we'll have plenty of hard data (help here would be appreciated). I want to be able to throw scary statistics and percentages in their face. NCSoft represents what percentage of the major gaming industry? What percentage of said industries shutdowns? What is NCSoft's shutdown percentage rate compared to other gaming companies of equal size? Throw in the links so people can verify the data, and we have a scare campaign of serious proportions. Because IT'S ALL TRUE. Truth bites. Blade and Soul is bad but the replacement thing is inference. The fact that NCSoft's shutdown rate is abnormal is, well, fact, truth. Factor in that now, for the first time, they've shut down a SUCCESSFUL GAME, and the message 'is anything NCSoft safe?' gains plenty of oomph. We have to make it personal for them.

That is precisely the message I've pushed in both my response to NCSoft's "Please stop hurting us with truthful statements" message from earlier today ---

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151152466134477&notif_t=video_reply

As well as in response to Rae's "Firewall of Silence" article as posted at the EGM site.

http://www.egmnow.com/articles/news/the-save-city-of-heroes-campaign-reveals-ncsofts-firewall-of-silence/

Here's the version that I posted at the EGM site in response:

NCSoft is not only doing themselves a disservice by their continued silence. I suggest that in the long run they are poisoning the well of the ENTIRE MMO industry.

When gamers really, truly as a group begin to understand the fact that at ANY time for ANY reason - even a NONSENSICAL reason - a game can be taken away -

When it becomes crystal clear that your characters, your guild, all the work you put in - the achievements you have made, the bases (or housing, or Starbases) you have worked so hard for - that none of it is actually yours and that you don't own ANY of it -

If players of MMOs really, seriously, have the thin veil of illusion of "this is mine" ripped unceremoniously away and that it can go away at any time without so much as an apology or even get an answer to the simplest question -

"WHY?"

Well then. How many MMO players will think to themselves: "What is the point of paying into ANY MMO? For ANY reason?"

What is the backbone of real moneymaking in both subscription and free-to-play games?

Is it the casual gamer who plays the game for a couple of months and then moves on to the next shiny?

Or is it the amount of emotional investment of the long term committed customer that a game can retain?

NCSoft is poisoning the well of the latter in favor of the former. THAT is what they have to answer for. They will manage to lose not only the trust in THEIR brand, but the brand of the ENTIRE MMO industry.

Mindscythe

• Lieutenant
  • "Any world is what you make of it."
    • SoR Radio
« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2012, 10:10:36 PM »
I haven't posted much, because so many others are saying what I feel better than I would, but I felt compelled to try to put things into a form that a PR flack would understand, and hopefully communicate back to his/her higher-ups. This is my response from the thread on the NCsoft Facebook page:

NCsoft: Your latest response was obviously a message crafted by someone skilled at writing specifically for crisis-mode public relations. Unfortunately (for you), there are equally skilled people who are decrypting your messages and revealing them for the hollow shadows that they are. We are City of Heroes patriots: We are educated, we are intelligent, we are dedicated, we are resolute, and we are now perpetually on watch for these shallow attempts at defusing the situation. Because of this, these attempts will not be successful, and will likely have the opposite effect. If you TRULY want to defuse the situation, and make all of this stop, you have two choices open to you: 1) Allow another company to purchase the game (IP, servers, code, everything) and continue operating City of Heroes, or 2) Release the server code as open-source software and allow the community to take up where you refuse to. Anything else is a waste of effort. You have awakened the sleeping giant, and it is not at all pleased.
"Radio... Radio... RADIO FREE OPPORTUNITY!"

http://www.profj.org/theradiospeaks/

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #52 on: October 26, 2012, 01:23:24 AM »
By all means, folks, it is more than time to set up your own websites and start crafting your own stories.  I'm going to use the CCCP site to keep setting out bait for search engines looking for things NCSoft stockholders and potential stockholders will be looking for.  Because THAT is where the PR repair is going to start to get expensive--which is exactly what we want.

Next up:  NCSOFT STOCKS DOWN and a verbatim report from the NCSoft thread, linked implicitly to their policy of canceling a profitable game to offset the losses (and continued losses) in GW2.  I'll pop that one in after Ammon gives us the post about better-tuning-your-story to catch the search engine sharks.

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
« Reply #53 on: October 26, 2012, 01:32:50 AM »
Just a few things about search engine optimization I know from being a design student. (I know Ammon's will be more inclusive, but these are the big things I've heard that I can think of off the top of my head).

1. Having a video on your page bumps you way up in the search engine list.

2. Linking to other sites also bumps you up higher.

I'm sure there's many other things, but teachers and other people in the industry have stressed these to me, and I made sure my portfolio website had both.  ;)

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #54 on: October 26, 2012, 02:02:48 AM »
Just so you know why I am not going to open the CCCP site to all posters.

Right now as far as I know you are all a very nice bunch of people on a forum that supports something I am passionately in agreement with.  But I don't know most of you.  And I have very little way of verifying you are what I would consider to be trustworthy to post on a open, public page that is linked to and owned by me.

I could wake up to discover I am being sued by NCSoft because of something you posted, which I would be held responsible for.

I consider myself to be the custodian of this site which is the repository of a lot of hard work in the form of some good-to-excellent CoH fiction.  When this is over I intend to delete all of the anti-NCSOFT stories and let it go back to being that.  I don't know if any of you are hackers, who one day would decide to delete all of that hard work, either because you can, or because you don't happen to like something.

There are people of varying political views, from far right to far left, on here.  We've seen things get heated to the boiling point here over the mere suggestion that we might use pressure on local politicians to further our agenda.  As the person who bought and pays for the site, I don't want to wake up one morning and discover someone posted something on the public page that neither I nor any of the original CCCP members would agree with.

I hope you guys will understand this.

Kaiser Tarantula

• Elite Boss
  • @Nerva
« Reply #55 on: October 26, 2012, 02:09:48 AM »
I hope you guys will understand this.
I won't presume to speak for others, but I'm cool with it.  Honestly, I'd probably be a little more aggressive and careless with words than you'd be comfortable with.  I can totally understand the caution.

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
« Reply #56 on: October 26, 2012, 02:28:05 AM »

I think that it will be better to have all of this on multiple sites anyway.  If many different people post things on their own sites and blogs and the search engines return many different, separate sites, it will be even more effective.

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2012, 03:19:53 AM »
VV, as a conservative, I fully respect everybody's right to private property, and feel you are being generous and noble in your use of your site. There is no good reason for any of us to expect you to open its controls up to any of us; if we really want something on it, we can ask you and let you put it up (or not) at your discretion. We're all on the same side here, but that doesn't make everything each of us has the natural property of any others. :P

(I mention my political leaning mostly to emphasize that differing views can lead to agreement in a common cause, despite the normal areas of disagreement in philosophical base.)

Moonfyire101

• Elite Boss
« Reply #58 on: October 26, 2012, 04:25:06 AM »
VV baiting is one of my favorite past times. I think the website is a good idea. I also understand what your saying about opening it up to all. I wouldn't either. I like to think we're all a family here but i have seen on a few occasions where sometimes it seems we have a wolf in the group. Anyway, good idea and everyone, keep up the good work and keep the ideas flowing.

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #59 on: October 26, 2012, 07:19:16 AM »
I've got no problem with VV keeping the keys to the website. I wouldn't know what to do with them anyway! LOL :D

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
« Reply #60 on: October 26, 2012, 07:34:50 AM »
I've got no problem with VV keeping the keys to the website. I wouldn't know what to do with them anyway! LOL :D

Suggestion: twirl them around on your finger and brag.  8)

Mantic

• Boss
« Reply #61 on: October 26, 2012, 07:35:02 AM »

I would go for that, or something like it. To make it easier to participate you could distribute a costume file as a basis for the character, and a macro script for the speech. Even if the costume used custom texture resources, that, too, could be distributed, for purposes of demorecord videos and screenshots.

Roderick

• Minion
« Reply #62 on: October 26, 2012, 07:53:43 AM »
And the gloves will REALLY come off after Nov 30th.

As you wish.

The White Rager

• Lieutenant
    • The Wordpile
« Reply #63 on: October 26, 2012, 01:47:50 PM »
I honestly hadn't wanted the keys - I was going to send what I wrote as docs to you VV, and you'd keep the keys. Heck, I fully expected you to read my stuff and see if it met your standards before you did anything with it. But, yes, I do respect all your reasons. I'll have to think about my own site though: I never treated it like a blog.

On another note, we really need to create an 'ammo' thread: someplace where everyone can post links to the best sources of information for our articles. It's time to get professional: lots of passionate stuff is out there, but the more passionate you are, the more certain people are going to say 'they're biased and unreliable'. There's lots of lovely, hard data and history behind the anti-NCSoft move, and we should be utilizing it, and striving to write articles that sound informed and reliable. The ammo thread would help us mass produce these, instead of each having to find our own sources first.

Tacitala

• Boss
« Reply #64 on: October 26, 2012, 03:22:54 PM »

Oh, suuuure.  Make a site about a Communist group and then keep it as private property.  What sort of Capitalist Pig-Dog are you?!?

(Just kidding, of course.)
"And I, of course, am innocent of all but malice."
- Princess Fiona of Amber

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #65 on: October 26, 2012, 03:26:41 PM »
Oh, suuuure.  Make a site about a Communist group and then keep it as private property.  What sort of Capitalist Pig-Dog are you?!?

(Just kidding, of course.)
No, no, see, she's the Party, so she is the one wise enough to distribute the resources. ;)

...actually, given the reasons she has to be careful, that's true. She's the one who knows best what that site best stands for and how to represent it. As the expert on that, I believe under an idealized communist regime she'd be the one trusted to administer it and "hold the keys." At least, I don't think communist societies assume there are no bad actors within their ranks.

Mister Bison

• Elite Boss
  • *psychotic grin*
« Reply #66 on: October 26, 2012, 03:40:48 PM »
No, no, see, she's the Party, so she is the one wise enough to distribute the resources. ;)

...actually, given the reasons she has to be careful, that's true. She's the one who knows best what that site best stands for and how to represent it. As the expert on that, I believe under an idealized communist regime she'd be the one trusted to administer it and "hold the keys." At least, I don't think communist societies assume there are no bad actors within their ranks.
Most communist regimes are dictatorship.
Not all dictatorships are worse than democracy.
Yeeessss....

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #67 on: October 26, 2012, 04:45:36 PM »
Most communist regimes are dictatorship.
Not all dictatorships are worse than democracy.
I...have some philosophical statements about this, but they're going to veer sharply into politico-economics, and I think that's not a good place for this thread to go.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
« Reply #68 on: October 26, 2012, 04:56:25 PM »
I'm cool with this. I don't need the keys anyhow.

Just the launch codes.  8)

Mister Bison

• Elite Boss
  • *psychotic grin*
« Reply #69 on: October 26, 2012, 04:57:15 PM »
I...have some philosophical statements about this, but they're going to veer sharply into politico-economics, and I think that's not a good place for this thread to go.
Just wanted to give a look back at history :) (should have put "were"s instead of "are"s)
Yeeessss....

Luna Eclypse

• New Efforts # 9,000!
  • Boss
  • Follow my on Twitter @LunaEclypse
    • Luna Eclypse on VirtueVerse
« Reply #70 on: October 26, 2012, 05:23:36 PM »
*paces back and forth, agitated and restless* Can't... keep... being... polite... to... NCsoft. Urge to kill rising...
"The Remarkable Dazzling"
Luna Eclypse

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #71 on: October 26, 2012, 07:09:06 PM »
*paces back and forth, agitated and restless* Can't... keep... being... polite... to... NCsoft. Urge to kill rising...
Its supposed to be...

"Rage... taking over... "
"Ya, ya, ya. Ve've heard all that before. "
"No, no, no. Rage... *really* taking over.."

;)
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
« Reply #72 on: October 26, 2012, 07:11:54 PM »
Its supposed to be...

;)

Focused, or Righteous Rage?

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #73 on: October 26, 2012, 07:12:59 PM »
Its supposed to be...

;)
Actually my thought is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msRaooooyds

Profit

• Boss
« Reply #74 on: October 26, 2012, 07:26:32 PM »
I'm just waiting for the command...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JP9mmoDkSMI

Luna Eclypse

• New Efforts # 9,000!
  • Boss
« Reply #75 on: October 26, 2012, 07:39:53 PM »
And I'm chomping at the bit... and this is the background music to such a scene.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPuo2QETHC0
Luna Eclypse

Luna Eclypse

• New Efforts # 9,000!
  • Boss
Luna Eclypse

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #78 on: October 26, 2012, 09:16:40 PM »
Its supposed to be...

;)

http://youtu.be/FfdJdZ5_guM

:D

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #79 on: October 26, 2012, 09:52:21 PM »
I don't know if I can listen to Mr. Loaf after the way he brutalized "America the Beautiful" in Ohio, today. I'm not particularly conservative, but I would vote whatever way he wanted me to, just so he NEVER did that again!

That aside, while I can understand VV not wanting to open the gates to your websites, you do have a lot of talented people here who are willing to do your bidding. Perhaps if we had a designated representative of your choosing to act as editor who could accept submissions, filter them, and pass you the ones that are the best, that might take some of the burden of volume, at least, off of you. I'm not trying to push the issue, but you have a legion of willing minions at your disposal. :)

Since my only published writing credit is a letter to the editor of the local newspaper, I, of course, am out of the running for both the hypothetical editor or submissions.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
« Reply #80 on: October 26, 2012, 10:06:14 PM »
I don't know if I can listen to Mr. Loaf after the way he brutalized "America the Beautiful" in Ohio, today. I'm not particularly conservative, but I would vote whatever way he wanted me to, just so he NEVER did that again!

I just watched a clip of it... really couldn't figure out what the heck was going on. How many people were singing at this thing? Almost seemed like he intentionally went into mockery mode, out of some sense of dissent, but that's probably wishful thinking. 'course, I also can't imagine Meat being a conservative in a million years. Seriously? He brings dildo cannons to his concerts. (which also makes it equally weird that Romney would even WANT his endorsement)

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #81 on: October 26, 2012, 10:11:47 PM »
I was unaware of the... new use for what I assume were originally t-shirt cannons. I can't say I'm not a fan, but I tend to make my own political decisions. I don't want to go any further, as we've done surprisingly well at not getting into political snit fests on this forum. :)
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Ammon

• Team Wildcard
  • Boss
« Reply #82 on: October 26, 2012, 10:16:52 PM »
Okay, I'll post up a quick guide that anyone can refer to later.
Just to add that I did post a guide to writing with search engines in mind - http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,5980

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
« Reply #83 on: October 26, 2012, 10:19:59 PM »
I was unaware of the... new use for what I assume were originally t-shirt cannons. I can't say I'm not a fan, but I tend to make my own political decisions. I don't want to go any further, as we've done surprisingly well at not getting into political snit fests on this forum. :)

LOL well yeah, they are the T-shirt cannons, but I was referring to their conspicuous shape.  8)

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #84 on: October 26, 2012, 10:20:53 PM »
Just to add that I did post a guide to writing with search engines in mind - http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,5980

I read most of it (skimmed past the links for later). Well laid out. I, for one, will be doing some writing this weekend. :)

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #85 on: October 26, 2012, 11:51:57 PM »
Well, Commissar Belladonna Aura is the Commissar of External Liaison and the Information Officer.  It seemed appropriate to lead off with her.

I will quite willingly accept submissions to the CCCP site, and in the interest of making things as diverse as possible, select "who" among the comrades is "responsible" for the post.  (Heck, I can populate the Duty Roster with a crapton of sock puppets....)  However, in the interest of making things look as if they are coming from as many people as possible, and in the interest of increasing our Google presence by cross-linking, I would strongly suggest you use your own blogs, Wordpress sites, Reddit, etc for posting.  Then crosslink like crazy.  See Ammon's well-written advice:   http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,5980