Author Topic: Advertise in Game Mags?  (Read 11657 times)

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
Re: Advertise in Game Mags?
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2012, 09:31:36 PM »
Additional thought. Given Ammon's wise note of how we want measurable metrics, perhaps some sort of Facebook game wherein you can do a "super relay," accepting a torch from your friends and passing it along, would be useful? I'm picturing some sort of avatar creator wherein you start off as a normal guy in a work-a-day business suit (or a normal girl in a work-a-day business dress or pant suit), and some stuff you can do can earn heroic costume pieces until you've fully changed into your heroic ID.

I can see either a relay of passing the torch along after you've finished your change, or a spreading of the vigil as you light others' torches and keep your own.

I have no clue how hard Facebook games are to program but if Plan Z goes fully into effect, cross-linking this to Plan Z and a few other web portal ideas might be a good plan, as well.

Ammon

• Team Wildcard
  • Boss
  • UK marketing guy and City of Heroes addict
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2012, 11:19:20 PM »
Ammon, I could use your strategizing expertise on this one.  I don't want to piss off GenCon by asking for too much....on the other hand a full page "NCSoft = Gamekiller" ad in the convention book, and a sidebar click-on on the convention site could do us a lot of good, I think.
In general, I always say there is no harm in asking.  However, I do see the complication that you do - you'd be asking them to run not a promotional message, but a negative, almost libelous one ... which could indeed present them with a problem.

I'd suggest that the safest way to approach this would be to sidestep the issue of it being a negative.  Just ad an intermediate step, there they agree to promote/advertise something you created (blog post, e-book, etc) that perhaps addresses how you have felt, and been inspired to act, by the actions of NCsoft.

Do you see how this adds a protective layer between what GenCon promote (you) and any negative implication on NCsoft?  It shouldn't be much less effective, and is far more palatable to GenCon - an easy win.  Plus by having them promote a link to content you create, you can deliver a message beyond the one page 'splash'.  You could indeed make an e-book or something motivational and thoughtful that engaged the reader, and encourages some further (measurable) action...

That any help?

Ammon

• Team Wildcard
  • Boss
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2012, 11:30:51 PM »
Additional thought. Given Ammon's wise note of how we want measurable metrics, perhaps some sort of Facebook game wherein you can do a "super relay," accepting a torch from your friends and passing it along, would be useful?
Good idea, but I'd broaden it and widen its appeal.  The 'torch bearing' is our thing and doesn't mean as much to others.  How about some app where you can 'Nominate your Heroes', awarding medals for silly and fun things, as well as some nice ones, which we would knowingly acknowledge as being inspired by COH ... and invite them to learn more about the campaign to save CoH?  Far simpler to program than a full game, yet also has a broader appeal.  I'm sure everyone can nominate a 'Super Speedster' among their friends,  certainly a Super Mom, some jokey arch-villains, etc.

However, you are absolutely right that if Plan Z goes ahead, we should be involved in Marketing it right from the start.

(For anyone not fully versed in Marketing, it is not just another word for advertising and promotions, and certainly not just about sales.  Marketing is basically the difference between old business that came up with something and then tried to find someone to sell it to against the modern marketing approach - Marketing that starts with looking for what people actually want to buy and can't find, and then developing it as a product built specifically for that existing market demand.  In terms of Plan Z, this would be about actively looking not just to emulate CoH, but to make a version that is custom built to appeal to the market to inspire subscriptions and loyalty and involvement right from the ground up.)

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2012, 04:48:16 AM »
I am not sure if anyone has brought this up yet but in this months issue of Game Informer in an article about Blade and Soul they mention CoH.  In context they are talking about Western NCSoft success games and the brief sentence about CoH is "and City of heroes had a good run"  So at least one magazine knows it, sadly they feel we are dead in the water.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2012, 06:09:23 AM »
In general, I always say there is no harm in asking.  However, I do see the complication that you do - you'd be asking them to run not a promotional message, but a negative, almost libelous one ... which could indeed present them with a problem.

I'd suggest that the safest way to approach this would be to sidestep the issue of it being a negative.  Just ad an intermediate step, there they agree to promote/advertise something you created (blog post, e-book, etc) that perhaps addresses how you have felt, and been inspired to act, by the actions of NCsoft.

Do you see how this adds a protective layer between what GenCon promote (you) and any negative implication on NCsoft?  It shouldn't be much less effective, and is far more palatable to GenCon - an easy win.  Plus by having them promote a link to content you create, you can deliver a message beyond the one page 'splash'.  You could indeed make an e-book or something motivational and thoughtful that engaged the reader, and encourages some further (measurable) action...

That any help?

BIG help.  I'm asking for an unspecified ad page in the con book and a click-ad on their website which will go straight to my website....which right now, just happens to have the Save CoH stuff on the front page.  And after Nov 30, I'll swap out the link to the Diana Tregarde Guest Author arc with my farewell vid of Belladonna Aura by Samuraiko, the full story (which I planned to write anyway) and followup with "Why I advise against buying NCSoft products, EVER" story.  And GenCon will have plausible deniability.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2012, 08:52:13 AM »
Weeeellll I just said I was in this for the long haul.....

If this stretches out to August of 2013....I've been invited to be Guest of Honor for GenCon.  Only the biggest gaming convention in the country, if not the world.

Ammon, I could use your strategizing expertise on this one.  I don't want to piss off GenCon by asking for too much....on the other hand a full page "NCSoft = Gamekiller" ad in the convention book, and a sidebar click-on on the convention site could do us a lot of good, I think.
That'd be awesome, however, do you think they would go for something like that?
I always figured conventions, just like magazines and game review sites want to stay on the good side of the big publishers - so that they can get scoops and such of their new releases.
Then again GenCon just might be big enough that the roles are reversed there, and it's entirely possible it's publishers practically begging for a spot on it?
Also, I've loved reading your posts so far, Ammon, they make for some real eye openers!

Edit: Forgot there was a second page when posting, I see it was already covered nicely!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 09:02:04 AM by Knightslayer »

Ammon

• Team Wildcard
  • Boss
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2012, 04:56:58 PM »
I'm asking for an unspecified ad page in the con book and a click-ad on their website which will go straight to my website....which right now, just happens to have the Save CoH stuff on the front page.
That sounds absolutely ideal. 

Also, I've loved reading your posts so far, Ammon, they make for some real eye openers!
That's very kind of you, thank you.

Now, while nothing to do with games magazines, one form of advertising we really should be looking at is what is known as search engine marketing in general.  We've touched on the idea already of paying for AdWords, but one can easily gain good placement for free too.  It just takes articles, similar to the coverage the campaign has already been getting, but with just a teeny bit more thought into how, when, and where people would find the story in search engines.

Its sort of a trick taken from the newspaper industry, and in particular the tabloids, who over hundreds of years have learned a lot about attention grabbing headlines.

NCsoft Shares Misfortune
A story about how NCsoft have shared their own financial misfortunes with our community, sudenly cutting a profitable game dead.

But do you see how the first two words are 'NCsoft Shares'?   This story could have a fair shot at turning up in searches for NCsoft Shares where the user wanted to check the prices, and suddenly seeing a title like NCsoft shares misfortune immediately plants a negative association and worry in the mind of someone who is either an owner, or interested in, shares in NCsoft. ;)  Oh, its sneaky, but its completely legal and fair ... just like ending our beloved game is.

Nexon Shares Dive ... into 'adult oriented' MMO space with Blade and Soul, a game so blatently aiming at the teenage boy market that it has been renamed Boobs and Shame by many gamers around the world...

Not only can this be incredibly effective in getting the CEO sweating (because he's one of the main people worried about what such searches show in results), but its also rather fun and creative in a slightly machiavellian way.

The White Rager

• Lieutenant
    • The Wordpile
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2012, 07:34:56 PM »
Nice ones Ammon. I see what you're doing...so it's that kind of wordplay is it? I can do that. Maybe I'll put something up later. Lessee, 'shares' can't be the only one, but 'stock' could be tricky...

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2012, 04:44:02 AM »
Weeeeellll ladies and gentlemen, I have a nibble from Bitch, the feminist site.  I sent them Segev's press release on how NCSoft is trading our family friendly game for Shameless Misogyny, and they are interested.  They're sending the press release on to some of the Gamer Grrl and Geek Grrl regular bloggers--which is what I wanted.  I wanted the Nastygram to come completely out of left field and not from any of us.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Mentalshock

• Boss
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2012, 04:58:49 AM »
Weeeeellll ladies and gentlemen, I have a nibble from Bitch, the feminist site.  I sent them Segev's press release on how NCSoft is trading our family friendly game for Shameless Misogyny, and they are interested.  They're sending the press release on to some of the Gamer Grrl and Geek Grrl regular bloggers--which is what I wanted.  I wanted the Nastygram to come completely out of left field and not from any of us.

Would it be improper to indulge in maniacal laughter?  A very subtle plan!    And NCsoft wouldn't recognize a subtle plan if it painted itself purple and danced naked on top of a harpsichord, singing "Subtle plans are here again!"

((Yes, I quoted Blackadder.  Just the sort of ruthless cunning we need, eh?))

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2012, 05:01:35 AM »

...VV, you are a devious, evil, conniving, sinister, sadistic so-and-so. And I love you for it. XD
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2012, 05:13:19 AM »
...VV, you are a devious, evil, conniving, sinister, sadistic so-and-so.

And I have many other fine qualities, or so I am told.

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2012, 02:57:00 PM »

NCsoft Shares Misfortune

Might have to borrow that title for a blog post I've been planning.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2012, 04:17:05 PM »

Muahahahaha!! RELEASE THE KRAKEN!!!

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2012, 04:26:59 PM »
Muahahahaha!! RELEASE THE KRAKEN!!!
Is it wrong of me to be reminded that, in Dennis L. McKiernan's Midkemia novels, krakens were the female half of a species of which dragons were the males?

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2012, 04:29:10 PM »
Is it wrong of me to be reminded that, in Dennis L. McKiernan's Midkemia novels, krakens were the female half of a species of which dragons were the males?

That is quite apt given the circumstances.  8)

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2012, 05:03:45 PM »

Er... so Dragons in that world enjoy tentacles?

ducking and running...

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2012, 05:26:24 PM »
Er... so Dragons in that world enjoy tentacles?

ducking and running...

...hawt. I mean, uh... <.< LOOK! OVER THERE!

* DrakeGrimm points one way, then runs the other.
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2012, 05:45:38 PM »
Oh! I knew that reminded me of something else!

Be sure to have the Brain Bleach ready! :D

Love is a Many Tentacled Thing.

http://www.thecaperadio.com/files/CoHCape/DJ%20Enigmas%20Puzzle%20Factory%20-%20Love%20Is%20a%20Many%20Tentacled%20Thing.mp3

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2012, 05:48:27 PM »
And I have many other fine qualities, or so I am told.

Bows to the lady of pain. :D