Author Topic: Advertise in Game Mags?  (Read 11570 times)

Moonfyire101

• Elite Boss
Advertise in Game Mags?
« on: October 18, 2012, 11:27:32 PM »

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
Re: Advertise in Game Mags?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 11:35:55 PM »
Well first of all, we're way behind on the production schedule.  November issues of these magazines are being shipped right now.  December is in final production.  Best we could hope for, probably, is January.

For timely results we would be MUCH better off going with a Google sidebar ad.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Dr Shadow

• Lieutenant
  • Dr Shadow Champion server/ @Leila_L twitter
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 11:50:15 PM »
What about buying ad space in the newspapers? Business papers, the kind stockholders like to read.
Dr Shadow- Champion Server @Leila_L twitter

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 12:18:22 AM »
What about buying ad space in the newspapers? Business papers, the kind stockholders like to read.

...you do not want to know how much an ad on one of those costs....

Seriously?  The same amount of money for an ad in Wall Street Journal would probably pay for Codewalker and a couple friends to devote full time to a game engine emulator.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2012, 04:07:37 AM »
I think we may be past worrying about keeping the lights on and into getting them back on.  Not saying we need to lessen our efforts, but Something would have to happen fast in order to keep the servers up, given the glacial pace the kinds of business dealings that would take.

Purely from a "bang for buck" standpoint, though, Google would probably serve us better.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Moonfyire101

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2012, 04:16:33 AM »
I think we may be past worrying about keeping the lights on and into getting them back on.  Not saying we need to lessen our efforts, but Something would have to happen fast in order to keep the servers up, given the glacial pace the kinds of business dealings that would take.

Purely from a "bang for buck" standpoint, though, Google would probably serve us better.

I wasn't meaning for keeping the lights on, i meant for getting the word out about NCSoft and getting more people involved. Trying to also pressure them to sell t another company. There is no way to keep the lights on they made their deciion but we can still hope to get enough press and help to make them sell.

The White Rager

• Lieutenant
    • The Wordpile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 02:52:15 AM »
I tried to reply here before, and my computer froze. Fingers crossed...

Okay, first off, I have mentioned the possibility of doing this myself a few times, and kept meaning to start a thread on it. Since someone else has, I'll just post what I meant to here instead, for all of you to work with. I'll start by working through the options, possible and otherwise.

1) Print medium. Not possible, and not just for the reasons the poster above pointed out. As someone whose worked in the graphics field and studied when to submit what story, I am here to inform you that magazine layouts are decided three to six MONTHS in advance. Christmas stories get submitted in late summer, no joke. But what about reports on things happening days before, you say? They plan space for them ahead of time, I reply, and then the page layout people make it fit. Any ad we arranged now wouldn't show up till late winter. I think we all want things decided before then. That's magazines: newspapers are technically possible, but realistically speaking, would an ad there reach the right audience? No way in hell, so that's a waste of money. Same for radio: what version of it would work for us, we've already reached anyway.

2) TV. Heh. Don't we all wish. I don't need to explain this one do I?

3) Posters. We've got this covered already.

4) Web ads. Here is where we want to focus. Here, we can quickly and accurately send out a message. And by accurately, I mean we can focus where the right people are going. The ads can send people straight to relevant sites, or even better, a custom made one page site, as I'll discuss further down. We'd want to look at game sites first of course, but after that I'd like to see if the mass might of our combined efforts can't break in somewhere a bit more mainstream. If we could get something into the sidebar of the Yahoo home page for one to three days, that would be great, and we just might be able to pull it off. Baring that, some suggestions on somewhat easier to reach goals would be good. Don't undersell us before we start: we are mighty, so suggest the highest goals you think we might be able to reach. What's the point otherwise?

It's not necessarily that simple though, or rather, we shouldn't leave it at that. If we're going to advertise, we should also be prepared to quickly and effectively inform anyone who clicks on an ad. I personally would like to see a nice, graphic one page landing site for the ads to link to. Someplace where they can get fed a quick but effective custom packet of information, explaining what happened, why everyone's mad, why it's important, why it deserves to live, etc. Tim the Enchanters video should be embedded. A description of the efforts thus far that emphasizes how much we've achieved that no one would have thought possible, finished off with links to the petition, this forum, and maybe a few other places? Maybe a few of those emails we've been using could be put there for anyone who finds it to add their voice to ours? The site would not be hard to make, but I'm too busy with schoolwork to volunteer, unfortunately.

That's my input. What's yours?

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2012, 03:05:57 AM »
I tried to reply here before, and my computer froze. Fingers crossed...

Okay, first off, I have mentioned the possibility of doing this myself a few times, and kept meaning to start a thread on it. Since someone else has, I'll just post what I meant to here instead, for all of you to work with. I'll start by working through the options, possible and otherwise.

1) Print medium. Not possible, and not just for the reasons the poster above pointed out. As someone whose worked in the graphics field and studied when to submit what story, I am here to inform you that magazine layouts are decided three to six MONTHS in advance. Christmas stories get submitted in late summer, no joke. But what about reports on things happening days before, you say? They plan space for them ahead of time, I reply, and then the page layout people make it fit. Any ad we arranged now wouldn't show up till late winter. I think we all want things decided before then. That's magazines: newspapers are technically possible, but realistically speaking, would an ad there reach the right audience? No way in hell, so that's a waste of money. Same for radio: what version of it would work for us, we've already reached anyway.

2) TV. Heh. Don't we all wish. I don't need to explain this one do I?

3) Posters. We've got this covered already.

4) Web ads. Here is where we want to focus. Here, we can quickly and accurately send out a message. And by accurately, I mean we can focus where the right people are going. The ads can send people straight to relevant sites, or even better, a custom made one page site, as I'll discuss further down. We'd want to look at game sites first of course, but after that I'd like to see if the mass might of our combined efforts can't break in somewhere a bit more mainstream. If we could get something into the sidebar of the Yahoo home page for one to three days, that would be great, and we just might be able to pull it off. Baring that, some suggestions on somewhat easier to reach goals would be good. Don't undersell us before we start: we are mighty, so suggest the highest goals you think we might be able to reach. What's the point otherwise?

It's not necessarily that simple though, or rather, we shouldn't leave it at that. If we're going to advertise, we should also be prepared to quickly and effectively inform anyone who clicks on an ad. I personally would like to see a nice, graphic one page landing site for the ads to link to. Someplace where they can get fed a quick but effective custom packet of information, explaining what happened, why everyone's mad, why it's important, why it deserves to live, etc. Tim the Enchanters video should be embedded. A description of the efforts thus far that emphasizes how much we've achieved that no one would have thought possible, finished off with links to the petition, this forum, and maybe a few other places? Maybe a few of those emails we've been using could be put there for anyone who finds it to add their voice to ours? The site would not be hard to make, but I'm too busy with schoolwork to volunteer, unfortunately.

That's my input. What's yours?

I approve of your plan and would like to subscribe to your magazine ad campaign.

Lycantropus

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2012, 04:59:14 AM »
Best we could get an ad in would be December, hm?

Like, during the time everyone's looking to buy presents for friends and family?

Wouldn't informative 'something to consider' ad(s) in a few magazines be useful about that time of year? Something that may have folks think twice about buying a NCSoft product for their friends as gifts if they were made aware they were "shifting company focus" and how that affects it's players? Nothing inflammatory; just facts for them to consider?

Just sayin'

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2012, 06:02:49 AM »

Like, during the time everyone's looking to buy presents for friends and family?

Wouldn't informative 'something to consider' ad(s) in a few magazines be useful about that time of year? Something that may have folks think twice about buying a NCSoft product for their friends as gifts if they were made aware they were "shifting company focus" and how that affects it's players? Nothing inflammatory; just facts for them to consider?

Just sayin'

I still think the best bang for our buck would be online ads.  Because more and more Christmas shopping is done online, and because, when you are talking about buying games, I would guess that the VAST majority of non-console games are bought online, not in stores.

Ammon

• Team Wildcard
  • Boss
  • UK marketing guy and City of Heroes addict
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2012, 06:29:18 AM »
This discussion falls firmly into my professional area.

Yes, Google AdWords are certainly an option, but they can be quite expensive.  You'd want to put about $1000 a month into the budget to have any effect at all, and it would still be minor.  Companies buying ads space on Google put hundreds of thousands a month into that budget, because you pay every time an ad is clicked.  However, it is superbly adjustable, as you can specify exactly what search your ad will appear for, word for word.  This means you could target searches for "Guild Wars 2 Reviews" and "Blade and Soul Reviews" to specifically appear only to people already searching for information to persuade them one way or another.

Or go for the jugular immediately with ads aimed at searches for "NCsoft shares" and aim to go direct for the share values and cause speculators to be rather less eager.

This ability to pick exact phrases or words means that you can (with thought) appeal directly to people with a particular activity or interest in mind to a very granular and specific level.

In all of these cases, you need to decide what the objective is, and what, precisely is a 'successful' result for us of each click, and also, how we measure it.  I think you'd want some kind of sign-up form, or ability to share the news, and would take people signing up for more news, or sharing the news with others as a 'successful' result from the click we paid for.

Of course, you can get the same sort of speed with viral marketing, especially through Social Media.  I know this is the angle you've already been working, but I'd say that it needs more, and to have more co-ordination, and more diverse media to it as well.  Where is the poster I can put up in my games store window about NCsoft games and concerns people may (or should) have?  Have one I can prnt out that is easily found from any of the online hubs of the Titan Network efforts so far.  Is there a newsletter I can subscribe to?  Is signing up for these forums a good thing?  How will we measure it, and more importantly, how will we leverage those sign-ups into actual actions and further media coverage?

And in the mid-to-long-term, we really need to be considering Search Engine Optimization.  This is the way companies get good coverage in search without spending a fortune per click.  Its not gaming the system, its merely understanding how it works, how it masures quality and relevance, and making sure you are aligned with the quality and relevance it seeks.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2012, 10:26:22 AM »
I like your expertise, and I would like to subscribe to your magazine postings.

Dare I ask if you are prepared to take on the daunting task of steering this herd of cats when it comes to the marketing aspect of our message?  Or are you confining yourself to merely offering advice?  Bearing in mind that when I say "steering" I mean just that--giving us directions, and saying "Fly my little monkeys, fly!" and letting us do the rest.

Ammon

• Team Wildcard
  • Boss
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2012, 06:02:46 PM »
Dare I ask if you are prepared to take on the daunting task of steering this herd of cats when it comes to the marketing aspect of our message?  Or are you confining yourself to merely offering advice?  Bearing in mind that when I say "steering" I mean just that--giving us directions, and saying "Fly my little monkeys, fly!" and letting us do the rest.
I think you just dared. :)

I'm here to help as much as I can.  We are heroes.  This is what we do.  From what I have seen so far, this is still a stage where mainly advice is needed to formulate a plan of marketing.  I think there are stages in which there is already a plan of action.  Most notably we already know that leveraging social media, and spreading the word is in the plan.  In these cases, certainly I can help with formulating more precise steps and instructions.  We need to make it easy for people to help the effort.  As simple as filling in the petition was.  But this also requires that tie-in to other aspects of marketing.  Tony V's contact details as spokesman, for one example, should any media want further information.

Has anyone thought of using Cafe Press to create quick #saveCOH merchandise?  This then does not just allow us to generate a war chest, but it also takes the message out of the virtual world.  Imagine 3 faces in a crowd shot of a sports event on TV, all wearing #savecoh caps.  And measuring the way people 'buy in' to the campaign is again proof of value.  Proof that people are willing to spend money on CoH and that its market value is far, far from dead.

Who currently is able to make marketing decisions about what to follow, and how to link all of the media together into a plan for actual results?  I'm already available to that person as an advisor and executive.  PM me for contact details.

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2012, 07:06:59 PM »
I know Virtue's Captain Bacon has an Etsy store selling AP33 shirts on a very small scale as he actually loses a little money on each one. Links to it are in the Facebook groups.

The White Rager

• Lieutenant
    • The Wordpile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2012, 07:44:03 PM »

Just sayin'

No, I don't think that's a great idea. Too much could change between now and then.

The White Rager

• Lieutenant
    • The Wordpile
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2012, 07:50:21 PM »
And Ammon, I'm thrilled to see you found this thread. I've had some edefication on how to think for all this, but if I'd really been that hot for it, I'd have stayed there and gotten a Bachelors, instead of running off to art school to learn Interior Architecture (lol).

Okay...so your biggest point Ammon is, we need more than just a landing page, we need a digital infrastructure to integrate people who are interested effectively, hold their interest and simultaneously give us a gauge by which to measure results?

Ammon

• Team Wildcard
  • Boss
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2012, 08:21:12 PM »
Okay...so your biggest point Ammon is, we need more than just a landing page, we need a digital infrastructure to integrate people who are interested effectively, hold their interest and simultaneously give us a gauge by which to measure results?
Yes.

We have an agenda that goes beyond just having someone see what we are talking about, nod, and move on to other things.  We need to look at how our actions in marketing actually make results on our end-objectives - saving CoH or getting NCsoft to release the IP at a cheaper rate than they've so far considered.

Therefore effective marketing has to be like a process that leads to sales, except the 'sale' may be anything from getting the reader to pass the information on to their friends, through reconsidering their decision on investing in NCsoft games, right up to dissuading stock traders from wanting to buy into NCsoft (causing share price devaluation).

One way to do this is to assign a kind of token 'value' to various actions, anywhere from zero to whatever.  Sometimes just a rough 0-10 score system is entirely sufficient.  Someone who sees our marketing but doesn't read it or take it in is a zero value.  Meanwhile, someone managing a fund on the stock market selling their 1% stake in NCsoft would perhaps be a 10 out of 10 value.

This then gives us a system for measuring the effectiveness of our efforts.  Because one cannot manage what one cannot measure.  It means we can evaluate the actual results of our efforts in real time, and seek to improve performance.

Some actions to roughly create a scale of values for include:

- Reading and remembering our press, taking the message with them.
- Spreading the message to others by posting/sharing the link to others via whatever means.
- Signing up for the Titan Network forums and offering support for events.
- Signing the Online Petition to save CoH.
- Giving us a quote or material to use in further publicity attempts.
- Donating money or time or other resources to the campaign.

The list can be almost endless, but it very soon gives us a rough idea of what we consider most valuable in our efforts at a given time.  If just reading and taking on board what we are saying is worth 1 point, while offering assistance is worth 5 points, we know that it is (in our estimation) five times more effective to get people willing to help in the effort than to just be aware of it, but we also remember that just making awareness does have a value too.

The values only have to be rough 'rule of thumb' type things - they are merely a symbolic construct for helping us measure effectiveness.
Does that help?

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2012, 08:25:16 PM »
Weeeellll I just said I was in this for the long haul.....

If this stretches out to August of 2013....I've been invited to be Guest of Honor for GenCon.  Only the biggest gaming convention in the country, if not the world.

Ammon, I could use your strategizing expertise on this one.  I don't want to piss off GenCon by asking for too much....on the other hand a full page "NCSoft = Gamekiller" ad in the convention book, and a sidebar click-on on the convention site could do us a lot of good, I think.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2012, 08:31:01 PM »
I've been invited to be Guest of Honor for GenCon.
Congrats!
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2012, 09:26:46 PM »

If this stretches out to August of 2013....I've been invited to be Guest of Honor for GenCon.  Only the biggest gaming convention in the country, if not the world.

Ammon, I could use your strategizing expertise on this one.  I don't want to piss off GenCon by asking for too much....on the other hand a full page "NCSoft = Gamekiller" ad in the convention book, and a sidebar click-on on the convention site could do us a lot of good, I think.
I am sure, if GenCon isn't offended by the suggestion, that there are CoH players who'd love to cosplay as their characters (or as recognizable NPCs) and hold torches for a salute to introduce you, too.

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2012, 09:31:36 PM »
Additional thought. Given Ammon's wise note of how we want measurable metrics, perhaps some sort of Facebook game wherein you can do a "super relay," accepting a torch from your friends and passing it along, would be useful? I'm picturing some sort of avatar creator wherein you start off as a normal guy in a work-a-day business suit (or a normal girl in a work-a-day business dress or pant suit), and some stuff you can do can earn heroic costume pieces until you've fully changed into your heroic ID.

I can see either a relay of passing the torch along after you've finished your change, or a spreading of the vigil as you light others' torches and keep your own.

I have no clue how hard Facebook games are to program but if Plan Z goes fully into effect, cross-linking this to Plan Z and a few other web portal ideas might be a good plan, as well.

Ammon

• Team Wildcard
  • Boss
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2012, 11:19:20 PM »
In general, I always say there is no harm in asking.  However, I do see the complication that you do - you'd be asking them to run not a promotional message, but a negative, almost libelous one ... which could indeed present them with a problem.

I'd suggest that the safest way to approach this would be to sidestep the issue of it being a negative.  Just ad an intermediate step, there they agree to promote/advertise something you created (blog post, e-book, etc) that perhaps addresses how you have felt, and been inspired to act, by the actions of NCsoft.

Do you see how this adds a protective layer between what GenCon promote (you) and any negative implication on NCsoft?  It shouldn't be much less effective, and is far more palatable to GenCon - an easy win.  Plus by having them promote a link to content you create, you can deliver a message beyond the one page 'splash'.  You could indeed make an e-book or something motivational and thoughtful that engaged the reader, and encourages some further (measurable) action...

That any help?

Ammon

• Team Wildcard
  • Boss
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2012, 11:30:51 PM »
Additional thought. Given Ammon's wise note of how we want measurable metrics, perhaps some sort of Facebook game wherein you can do a "super relay," accepting a torch from your friends and passing it along, would be useful?
Good idea, but I'd broaden it and widen its appeal.  The 'torch bearing' is our thing and doesn't mean as much to others.  How about some app where you can 'Nominate your Heroes', awarding medals for silly and fun things, as well as some nice ones, which we would knowingly acknowledge as being inspired by COH ... and invite them to learn more about the campaign to save CoH?  Far simpler to program than a full game, yet also has a broader appeal.  I'm sure everyone can nominate a 'Super Speedster' among their friends,  certainly a Super Mom, some jokey arch-villains, etc.

However, you are absolutely right that if Plan Z goes ahead, we should be involved in Marketing it right from the start.

(For anyone not fully versed in Marketing, it is not just another word for advertising and promotions, and certainly not just about sales.  Marketing is basically the difference between old business that came up with something and then tried to find someone to sell it to against the modern marketing approach - Marketing that starts with looking for what people actually want to buy and can't find, and then developing it as a product built specifically for that existing market demand.  In terms of Plan Z, this would be about actively looking not just to emulate CoH, but to make a version that is custom built to appeal to the market to inspire subscriptions and loyalty and involvement right from the ground up.)

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2012, 04:48:16 AM »
I am not sure if anyone has brought this up yet but in this months issue of Game Informer in an article about Blade and Soul they mention CoH.  In context they are talking about Western NCSoft success games and the brief sentence about CoH is "and City of heroes had a good run"  So at least one magazine knows it, sadly they feel we are dead in the water.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2012, 06:09:23 AM »
In general, I always say there is no harm in asking.  However, I do see the complication that you do - you'd be asking them to run not a promotional message, but a negative, almost libelous one ... which could indeed present them with a problem.

I'd suggest that the safest way to approach this would be to sidestep the issue of it being a negative.  Just ad an intermediate step, there they agree to promote/advertise something you created (blog post, e-book, etc) that perhaps addresses how you have felt, and been inspired to act, by the actions of NCsoft.

Do you see how this adds a protective layer between what GenCon promote (you) and any negative implication on NCsoft?  It shouldn't be much less effective, and is far more palatable to GenCon - an easy win.  Plus by having them promote a link to content you create, you can deliver a message beyond the one page 'splash'.  You could indeed make an e-book or something motivational and thoughtful that engaged the reader, and encourages some further (measurable) action...

That any help?

BIG help.  I'm asking for an unspecified ad page in the con book and a click-ad on their website which will go straight to my website....which right now, just happens to have the Save CoH stuff on the front page.  And after Nov 30, I'll swap out the link to the Diana Tregarde Guest Author arc with my farewell vid of Belladonna Aura by Samuraiko, the full story (which I planned to write anyway) and followup with "Why I advise against buying NCSoft products, EVER" story.  And GenCon will have plausible deniability.

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2012, 08:52:13 AM »

That'd be awesome, however, do you think they would go for something like that?
I always figured conventions, just like magazines and game review sites want to stay on the good side of the big publishers - so that they can get scoops and such of their new releases.
Then again GenCon just might be big enough that the roles are reversed there, and it's entirely possible it's publishers practically begging for a spot on it?
Also, I've loved reading your posts so far, Ammon, they make for some real eye openers!

Edit: Forgot there was a second page when posting, I see it was already covered nicely!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 09:02:04 AM by Knightslayer »

Ammon

• Team Wildcard
  • Boss
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2012, 04:56:58 PM »
I'm asking for an unspecified ad page in the con book and a click-ad on their website which will go straight to my website....which right now, just happens to have the Save CoH stuff on the front page.
That sounds absolutely ideal. 

Also, I've loved reading your posts so far, Ammon, they make for some real eye openers!
That's very kind of you, thank you.

Now, while nothing to do with games magazines, one form of advertising we really should be looking at is what is known as search engine marketing in general.  We've touched on the idea already of paying for AdWords, but one can easily gain good placement for free too.  It just takes articles, similar to the coverage the campaign has already been getting, but with just a teeny bit more thought into how, when, and where people would find the story in search engines.

Its sort of a trick taken from the newspaper industry, and in particular the tabloids, who over hundreds of years have learned a lot about attention grabbing headlines.

NCsoft Shares Misfortune
A story about how NCsoft have shared their own financial misfortunes with our community, sudenly cutting a profitable game dead.

But do you see how the first two words are 'NCsoft Shares'?   This story could have a fair shot at turning up in searches for NCsoft Shares where the user wanted to check the prices, and suddenly seeing a title like NCsoft shares misfortune immediately plants a negative association and worry in the mind of someone who is either an owner, or interested in, shares in NCsoft. ;)  Oh, its sneaky, but its completely legal and fair ... just like ending our beloved game is.

Nexon Shares Dive ... into 'adult oriented' MMO space with Blade and Soul, a game so blatently aiming at the teenage boy market that it has been renamed Boobs and Shame by many gamers around the world...

Not only can this be incredibly effective in getting the CEO sweating (because he's one of the main people worried about what such searches show in results), but its also rather fun and creative in a slightly machiavellian way.

The White Rager

• Lieutenant
    • The Wordpile
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2012, 07:34:56 PM »
Nice ones Ammon. I see what you're doing...so it's that kind of wordplay is it? I can do that. Maybe I'll put something up later. Lessee, 'shares' can't be the only one, but 'stock' could be tricky...

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2012, 04:44:02 AM »
Weeeeellll ladies and gentlemen, I have a nibble from Bitch, the feminist site.  I sent them Segev's press release on how NCSoft is trading our family friendly game for Shameless Misogyny, and they are interested.  They're sending the press release on to some of the Gamer Grrl and Geek Grrl regular bloggers--which is what I wanted.  I wanted the Nastygram to come completely out of left field and not from any of us.

Mentalshock

• Boss
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2012, 04:58:49 AM »
Weeeeellll ladies and gentlemen, I have a nibble from Bitch, the feminist site.  I sent them Segev's press release on how NCSoft is trading our family friendly game for Shameless Misogyny, and they are interested.  They're sending the press release on to some of the Gamer Grrl and Geek Grrl regular bloggers--which is what I wanted.  I wanted the Nastygram to come completely out of left field and not from any of us.

Would it be improper to indulge in maniacal laughter?  A very subtle plan!    And NCsoft wouldn't recognize a subtle plan if it painted itself purple and danced naked on top of a harpsichord, singing "Subtle plans are here again!"

((Yes, I quoted Blackadder.  Just the sort of ruthless cunning we need, eh?))

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2012, 05:01:35 AM »

...VV, you are a devious, evil, conniving, sinister, sadistic so-and-so. And I love you for it. XD
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2012, 05:13:19 AM »
...VV, you are a devious, evil, conniving, sinister, sadistic so-and-so.

And I have many other fine qualities, or so I am told.

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2012, 02:57:00 PM »

NCsoft Shares Misfortune

Might have to borrow that title for a blog post I've been planning.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2012, 04:17:05 PM »

Muahahahaha!! RELEASE THE KRAKEN!!!

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2012, 04:26:59 PM »
Muahahahaha!! RELEASE THE KRAKEN!!!
Is it wrong of me to be reminded that, in Dennis L. McKiernan's Midkemia novels, krakens were the female half of a species of which dragons were the males?

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2012, 04:29:10 PM »
Is it wrong of me to be reminded that, in Dennis L. McKiernan's Midkemia novels, krakens were the female half of a species of which dragons were the males?

That is quite apt given the circumstances.  8)

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2012, 05:03:45 PM »

Er... so Dragons in that world enjoy tentacles?

ducking and running...

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2012, 05:26:24 PM »
Er... so Dragons in that world enjoy tentacles?

ducking and running...

...hawt. I mean, uh... <.< LOOK! OVER THERE!

* DrakeGrimm points one way, then runs the other.
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2012, 05:45:38 PM »
Oh! I knew that reminded me of something else!

Be sure to have the Brain Bleach ready! :D

Love is a Many Tentacled Thing.

http://www.thecaperadio.com/files/CoHCape/DJ%20Enigmas%20Puzzle%20Factory%20-%20Love%20Is%20a%20Many%20Tentacled%20Thing.mp3

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2012, 05:48:27 PM »
And I have many other fine qualities, or so I am told.

Bows to the lady of pain. :D

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2012, 06:54:23 PM »
Bows to the lady of pain. :D
Don't do that! That draws her attention! She HATES it when you do that!

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!
« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2012, 07:06:41 PM »
Yes... just let her quietly glide by and hope you are beneath her notice that day...

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2012, 07:09:47 PM »
Yes... just let her quietly glide by and hope you are beneath her notice that day...

???

Okay... Apparently I have stumbled into a reference I have no clue about. Care to enlighten me?

Mentalshock

• Boss
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2012, 07:15:43 PM »
The Lady of Pain is a reference a rather vengeful goddess in Sigil, City of Doors in the Dungeons and Dragons setting.  Suffice to say that drawing her attention usually leads to a rather brutal and quick death.

EDIT: Egad, I'm more geeky than I thought.....

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2012, 07:24:53 PM »
Technically, the Lady of Pain is not a goddess. Nobody knows WHAT She is, other than lethally painful to so much as look upon. Her shadow flays flesh from bone of all it touches. She is the ruler of the City of Doors in the sense that she has definite rules that she communicates only through punishment of transgression, but which are fairly easy to understand. And she prevents all gods from entering her city. Nobody knows how, or if it's a function of the city or a testament to her personal power. She's an enigmatic force of nature that has a recognizably humanoid form and is presumed to be sentient. She also never leaves the City, so far as anybody knows.

One of her rules is: do not worship the Lady of Pain.

Mentalshock

• Boss
« Reply #45 on: October 24, 2012, 07:46:50 PM »
GOd-like didn't seem accurate enough.

Eldritch Abomination, maybe?

Bride of Cthulu?

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!
« Reply #46 on: October 24, 2012, 08:14:07 PM »
The Lady of Pain is a reference a rather vengeful goddess in Sigil, City of Doors in the Dungeons and Dragons setting.  Suffice to say that drawing her attention usually leads to a rather brutal and quick death.

EDIT: Egad, I'm more geeky than I thought.....
Yep, the Planescape setting.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #47 on: October 24, 2012, 08:50:04 PM »
I was out of D&D before the Planescape setting came out, but my brother was into it. He'd always get upset with me when I would reword this song...  ;D
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2012, 10:14:38 PM »
Wow...  :o

I had NO IDEA!  I just plucked the phrase "Lady of Pain" out of thin air without having any reference to what you said! It seemed right at the time so I went with it.

What a weird coincidence!

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
« Reply #49 on: October 24, 2012, 10:26:19 PM »

You must never run from anything immortal. It attracts their attention.

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #50 on: October 24, 2012, 10:41:28 PM »

"If it bleeds, we can kill it."

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #51 on: October 24, 2012, 10:50:27 PM »

How appropriate, now that I think about it:

"They passed down all the roads long ago. And the Red Bull ran behind them, and covered their footsteps."

And NCSoft is like King Haggard in his castle and/or the Red Bull, jealously keeping all the unicorns in the world for himself and never letting them go. Until the world all but forgot about them.

But City of Heroes may be that one Unicorn that wins freedom, and with it all the rest, if we but find our own inner magic and follow the path of the hero.

Molly Grue: "What is the use of wizardry if it cannot save a unicorn?"
Schmendrick the Magician: "That is what heroes are for."

Zedrik

• Underling
« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2012, 12:25:58 AM »
Wow...  :o

I had NO IDEA!  I just plucked the phrase "Lady of Pain" out of thin air without having any reference to what you said! It seemed right at the time so I went with it.

What a weird coincidence!

I can't remember if it was speculation or if it was stated as inspiration for The Lady of Pain, but there is a poem.
http://www.victorianweb.org/authors/swinburne/dolores.html
(Warning: It's NOT a short one.)

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #53 on: October 25, 2012, 02:48:23 PM »
They all passed down that road long ago, and the red bull followed behind, and covered their footprints.