Author Topic: An organized (sorta) shot at #SaveCoH on the Humble 'leader' board  (Read 19954 times)

Zolgar

• Grand Poobah of Plan Z
  • Boss
Re: An organized (sorta) shot at #SaveCoH on the Humble 'leader' board
« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2012, 11:01:33 AM »
Booo, hiss! Someone knocked us out of our #2 position, and only by about $20!

P51mus

• Boss
  • aka Pitho
« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2012, 10:05:15 PM »
chipin won't accept my debit card for some reason (which definitely works, I've used it recently)

Zolgar

• Grand Poobah of Plan Z
  • Boss
« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2012, 05:49:01 AM »
chipin won't accept my debit card for some reason (which definitely works, I've used it recently)

Weird.. if it's still being an issue, and you have a paypal account.. you can send to me directly via PayPal at Yverthel(at)yahoo.com just make note it's for the Humble ChipIn. :)

Also, an update for everyone!
They have added 5 more books!
XKCD 0, 2 Penny Arcade books, and 2 books from some dude I've never heard of!

Zolgar

• Grand Poobah of Plan Z
  • Boss
« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2012, 07:45:34 AM »
I do not know what to say.
I am absolutely freaking speechless.

We're #1!

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2012, 09:15:46 AM »
I do not know what to say.
I am absolutely freaking speechless.

We're #1!

May you all live a thousand years.

And look and feel good doing it.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Quinch

« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2012, 01:46:37 PM »
Holy motherloving ghost of Atlas...

Last I looked we were at around $200... does that mean that someone chipped in with eight hundred schmuckers?

Daaaamn.

Mad props to you, whoever you be. Mad as hatters.

Moonfyire101

• Elite Boss
« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2012, 04:52:39 PM »
Holy motherloving ghost of Atlas...

Last I looked we were at around $200... does that mean that someone chipped in with eight hundred schmuckers?

Daaaamn.

Mad props to you, whoever you be. Mad as hatters.

Yeah i just noticed too! How did we get 800 in what felt like overnight wow, and there are new books now too, yay! We are #1 and i hope we stay there.

Zolgar

• Grand Poobah of Plan Z
  • Boss
« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2012, 05:10:14 PM »
That's about how I felt when I saw an $800 paypal payment..

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2012, 05:13:11 PM »
That's about how I felt when I saw an $800 paypal payment..
Wow.  I hope that wasn't a typo.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Hyperstrike

• Elite Boss
  • SaveCoH!
    • So Super It Hurts
« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2012, 07:57:35 PM »
Wow.  I hope that wasn't a typo.

Agreed.  Wow.  Tossed $5 at it.
I'd have tossed more, but I've tapped out my "mad money" allowance for this month between this and trying to make sure everyone on the GameAThon has at least SOME funding.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #50 on: October 17, 2012, 08:38:40 PM »
I spent my "play money" this month on ExtraLife or I'd chip in as well. Kudos to the $800 donator, you are a saint.

However, I would like to ask how you're splitting the money. Now that it's up there to an appreciable amount, folks might be more interested in discussing how to split it. The default split puts the 'humble tip' at a huge amount when you're that high, which I don't think is a 'fair deal' to the authors and charities.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #51 on: October 17, 2012, 08:43:10 PM »
"humble tip?"

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #52 on: October 17, 2012, 10:29:03 PM »
"humble tip?"

That is the percentage paid to the Humble Bundle people for putting this together and administering it.  While that might seem exorbitant, let me put it into perspective for you, since I was on the inside of this one.

Humble is administering all accounting and payout.  This means dividing up the money, paying immediate taxes, filing 1099s for the authors, cutting checks and distributing.  This is not inconsiderable work and is the reason why, although I have been the editor of record on SEVERAL anthologies, I have paid an outside packager on all of them to do all of that for me.

Humble did ALL of the reformatting work for us on the books to put them into e-format of three types from .doc files.  To give you an idea of just how much work that was, although the signup and coordination on this bundle began six months ago, we were literally right up to the wire on getting all of the files cleaned up and bugs taken out.  They ended up having to farm it out to three different entities for the reformatting.

And of course: Humble does the website creation (new page for every new bundle), the store, the art processing, in my case at least creating a brand new cover image from Larry's art, and all of the administration to make this possible.

So....doesn't seem quite so exorbitant now, does it?
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #53 on: October 17, 2012, 10:46:35 PM »
Given that I don't even know how much it is, it didn't seem exorbitant to me, before. I was mostly wondering what it was; I could see a few possibilities. One of which is what you outlined, which makes perfect sense to me.

Sekoia

• Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #54 on: October 17, 2012, 10:52:43 PM »
I spent my "play money" this month on ExtraLife or I'd chip in as well. Kudos to the $800 donator, you are a saint.

However, I would like to ask how you're splitting the money. Now that it's up there to an appreciable amount, folks might be more interested in discussing how to split it. The default split puts the 'humble tip' at a huge amount when you're that high, which I don't think is a 'fair deal' to the authors and charities.

You can't change the split after the fact, so discussing how to split it would only apply to contributions going forward.

To whoever put in $800... you rock. :)

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #55 on: October 17, 2012, 10:54:58 PM »
You can't change the split after the fact, so discussing how to split it would only apply to contributions going forward.

To whoever put in $800... you rock. :)

Amen to that. 

Knightward

• Minion
« Reply #56 on: October 18, 2012, 12:08:56 AM »
I put in $50 just now.  Go fig, I didn't even notice this until after I'd already bought both Secret World Chronicle books off of Amazon.  Oh well, it's all going to a good cause.  Also serves me right for being busy and not checking in here much the past week or so.

XKCD 0, 2 Penny Arcade books, and 2 books from some dude I've never heard of!
Zach Wiener, of the ever-hilarious webcomic, Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #57 on: October 18, 2012, 12:44:12 AM »
I put in $50 just now.  Go fig, I didn't even notice this until after I'd already bought both Secret World Chronicle books off of Amazon.  Oh well, it's all going to a good cause.  Also serves me right for being busy and not checking in here much the past week or so.

You are getting not just the unabridged version of Invasion! which has 35,000 more words (several characters and two story arcs that ended up on the cutting room floor, plus a couple stories with the rest of the cast that also ended up there), but 3 short stories that take place between book two and the (turned in two months ago) Book 3, PLUS a Diana Tregarde novel.  So you aren't getting shortchanged!

Hyperstrike

• Elite Boss
  • SaveCoH!
    • So Super It Hurts
« Reply #58 on: October 18, 2012, 03:07:06 AM »
Given that I don't even know how much it is, it didn't seem exorbitant to me, before. I was mostly wondering what it was; I could see a few possibilities. One of which is what you outlined, which makes perfect sense to me.

Basically, at default split, the "humble tip" comes out to a 15% service fee.
So, out of the $1123 that's up there this evening, Humble would get around $160.
The authors will get around $780.
The rest will go to charity.

Honestly, considering the amount of labor Humble puts in on this, I don't see $160 as an outrageous amount to give them.

Hyperstrike

• Elite Boss
  • SaveCoH!
    • So Super It Hurts
« Reply #59 on: October 18, 2012, 03:11:22 AM »
You are getting not just the unabridged version of Invasion! which has 35,000 more words (several characters and two story arcs that ended up on the cutting room floor, plus a couple stories with the rest of the cast that also ended up there), but 3 short stories that take place between book two and the (turned in two months ago) Book 3, PLUS a Diana Tregarde novel.  So you aren't getting shortchanged!

Oh man.  SO much Misty WIN right there!

Glad to see you decided that Di deserved another outing.  Always thought it was a shame that the series didn't sell better and attracted some kooks to you *looks in the mirror*.  Oh wait...

;)