Author Topic: An organized (sorta) shot at #SaveCoH on the Humble 'leader' board  (Read 19955 times)

Zolgar

• Grand Poobah of Plan Z
  • Boss
*update* We're now on the boards at #1!  No, really. #1.

Just as HIB6 ended, they fired up the Humble eBook Bundle, the present board for top contributors is all under $250, except the #1 at $1,000.
Unfortunately, the funds have to come from one location in order to get on the 'leader board', as such we are using a ChipIn to raise funds, and the Humble URL will be shares with anyone who contributes. If you want to contribute click here: http://grimm.chipin.com/savecoh-humble-bundle and put whatever you feel you can afford in the pot!

In this instance, you get 11 eBooks from various authors (including one by some Mercedes Lackey? .. never heard of her....), not only do you get the first in the Secret World series (based off CoH!), you get a graphic novel by Gaiman, 2 Penny Arcade books and an XKCD book. How much win is that?!

It's a win all the way around:
Get eBooks
Support Charity
Maybe give some money to our local celebrity who's been working her tuchus off for the cause
Get SaveCoH more notice

What's not to love?

Now, in the interest of absolute transparency:
due to the nature of a ChipIn account, the money will be going to my personal PayPal account. I will make sure there is no risk of 'mingling' funds.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 07:46:39 AM by Zolgar »

Sekoia

• Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
Re: Another shot at #SaveCoH on the Humble 'leader' board.
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 01:31:06 AM »
As a reminder, the leaderboard is for individual donations. So for #SaveCoH to get on the leaderboard, a single person would have to donate enough to put it there. They do not combine donations from multiple people donating under the same name.

Zolgar

• Grand Poobah of Plan Z
  • Boss
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 01:34:53 AM »
As a reminder, the leaderboard is for individual donations. So for #SaveCoH to get on the leaderboard, a single person would have to donate enough to put it there. They do not combine donations from multiple people donating under the same name.

Feh says I, feh!

.. someone guy buy it for $250 then! ;)

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 02:09:38 AM »
I talked to some Bronies that got on the board last round.

Everyone pitched into a chipin account, one person bought the stuff with their bronie tag, and shared everyone the games they wanted. (Actually I think they put the games in a dropbox folder and people DL'd them from there).

Remember these are DRM free, and nobody cares if you share them with friends or a fellow from your buyer's pool.  The point of this is to make money for charity.  We (the contributors) all go into this knowing that it's the charity that is important (and so far, Humble has made seven MILLION dollars for charity).
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Zolgar

• Grand Poobah of Plan Z
  • Boss
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 02:15:23 AM »

Everyone pitched into a chipin account, one person bought the stuff with their bronie tag, and shared everyone the games they wanted. (Actually I think they put the games in a dropbox folder and people DL'd them from there).

If people would be interested in doing this, I can start up the Chip-In for this bundle. Though we'd need to decide what percentage went where..

Teege

• Boss
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 02:27:44 AM »
Looks like they have a number of great titles there. Also seven million dollars is a lot. Don't forget the individual in my link to the left is a loyal CoHer who will not have the luxury of similar support, so for those who want a more individual cause there's always that. Breaks my heart.
Keep fighting the good fight!

@Teege - Virtue

www.cohtitan.com

Quinch

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2012, 02:39:07 AM »
If people would be interested in doing this, I can start up the Chip-In for this bundle. Though we'd need to decide what percentage went where..

Offhand suggestion, 45/45/10? What'd be the best way to pool the money, anyway? Kickstarter seems to be the popular venue these days and one most people would be familiar with, but does something like this qualify for its ToS?

Zolgar

• Grand Poobah of Plan Z
  • Boss
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2012, 02:41:09 AM »
Offhand suggestion, 45/45/10? What'd be the best way to pool the money, anyway? Kickstarter seems to be the popular venue these days and one most people would be familiar with, but does something like this qualify for its ToS?

Chip-in. It's basically a joint account that allows multiple people to pitch money in for one specific purpose. We used one a while back when we shipped Grimm off to Washington >.>

Quinch

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2012, 02:45:03 AM »
Walk me through it? Where do we send the money?

Zolgar

• Grand Poobah of Plan Z
  • Boss
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2012, 02:48:56 AM »
Walk me through it? Where do we send the money?

I hadn't started one up yet, but this appears to be the indication that there's interest.. so gimme a few minutes and I'll do so.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2012, 02:51:31 AM »
Chip-in. It's basically a joint account that allows multiple people to pitch money in for one specific purpose. We used one a while back when we shipped Grimm off to Washington >.>

Also used it to help a couple of Cape DJs out.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Zolgar

• Grand Poobah of Plan Z
  • Boss
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2012, 03:07:51 AM »
Also used it to help a couple of Cape DJs out.

Yep, forgot about that one.

and now.. it's being used for this purpose!
Link is in the original post.

Sekoia

• Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
Re: An organized (sorta) shot at #SaveCoH on the Humble 'leader' board
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2012, 03:13:08 AM »
Nice! I'm glad there's a way to make this happen. :) I stickied the thread for now to help get some more traffic to it.

Moonfyire101

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2012, 03:17:41 AM »
I think it's just that i am overtired but what am i doing? Click on the link at the top and buy a book? I just need to know what to do and what are we doing with the money? The za thing or something else...i no comprehend human when tired.

Oh wait i think i got it...We donate on chip-in, you buy the books so we make top 10 and look good and then you send us digital copies so we can read them right? And the money is going to charity...which one?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 03:23:57 AM by Moonfyire101 »

Quinch

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2012, 03:23:34 AM »
Alrighty, chipped in ten schmuckers.

Zolgar

• Grand Poobah of Plan Z
  • Boss
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2012, 03:23:54 AM »
I think it's just that i am overtired but what am i doing? Click on the link at the top and buy a book? I just need to know what to do and what are we doing with the money? The za thing or something else...i no comprehend human when tired.

Hmm.. maybe I is slightly confusing in statements.
http://grimm.chipin.com/savecoh-humble-bundle
Click that ^

Throw however much monies you want in on it.
That monies then gets put to the already-done Humble purchase, under the #SaveCoH tag.
Then, you get link of doom for download of ebooks.

Moonfyire101

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2012, 03:30:14 AM »
Does it take paypal? I'll do it when i wake up, i just need paypal.

Quinch

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2012, 04:33:24 AM »
Yep.

Also, got my link - thanks Zolgar. By the way, should I plug this thread in Virtue's Help chat when I get back home?

Zolgar

• Grand Poobah of Plan Z
  • Boss
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2012, 07:09:11 AM »
Yep.

Also, got my link - thanks Zolgar. By the way, should I plug this thread in Virtue's Help chat when I get back home?

If you like. :)

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2012, 06:36:05 PM »
Looks like they have a number of great titles there. Also seven million dollars is a lot. Don't forget the individual in my link to the left is a loyal CoHer who will not have the luxury of similar support, so for those who want a more individual cause there's always that. Breaks my heart.
Which "link to you left" and what "similar support" does he lack? I'm missing something here, and it sounds important.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2012, 03:57:38 AM »
Which "link to you left" and what "similar support" does he lack? I'm missing something here, and it sounds important.

On the left under Teege's name is a series of little icons.  One of them is a globe, which if you click on it, you will be taken to a Chip-In site where all is explained.

ScottyB

• Minion
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2012, 04:38:13 AM »
With the Humble Bundle, is it possible for a contributor to sign in and increase their contribution (and thus move up/reclaim a spot on the leader board)?

Moonfyire101

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2012, 05:18:06 AM »
Ok, i sent $15 in.

Zolgar

• Grand Poobah of Plan Z
  • Boss
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2012, 05:29:48 AM »
With the Humble Bundle, is it possible for a contributor to sign in and increase their contribution (and thus move up/reclaim a spot on the leader board)?

yes it is, this is how ours is going, we're at $43 last I updated, I'll do another update here pretty soon.

Zolgar

• Grand Poobah of Plan Z
  • Boss
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2012, 05:44:52 AM »
Also folks, if you chip in, and within ~24 hours don't get the link either emailed to you or PM'd to you, PM me.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2012, 10:19:37 AM »
Just chipped in.  I was gonna get them anyway, but when you guys decided to do this I waited till you started the chipin.  Larry really wants that Gaiman graphic novel and Cory's book and he loves John Scalzi. 

Quinch

« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2012, 05:06:30 PM »
I'm about a third down Invasion. What does it say about me when half of my attention is divided between categorizing the characters into CoH archetypes and catching the odd typo?

Zolgar

• Grand Poobah of Plan Z
  • Boss
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2012, 05:20:20 PM »
This is a good problem to have. The contributions got high enough that I can no longer afford to eat the ChipIn fee (miniscule, at $150 in contributions, we're at $144 :))

We're now at #8 on the board, not bad, not bad at all.
I'll email everyone the link when I get off work, I'm already late for work as it is. >.>

laufeyjarson

• Boss
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2012, 07:49:56 PM »
I just chipped in.

Zolgar, PM me if you want some help with the ChipIn fee.

Steele Magnolia

• Minion
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2012, 08:13:52 PM »
OK, chipped in $5.

Zolgar

• Grand Poobah of Plan Z
  • Boss
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2012, 10:42:32 PM »
I just chipped in.

Zolgar, PM me if you want some help with the ChipIn fee.

If you want to toss money to offset the ChipIn fees, that's awesome. If not, that's cool too. Like I said, I can just run it at whatever the total is after the ChipIn fees (which is why we are at $144 from $150 in donations.)

As an update, once I get home from work to update the Humble Bundle, we'll be at #6, unfortunately we'll have a ways to go from there to progress, needing to hit about $250 to advance. If we can hit $250 though, we'll take the #2 position.. then we'd need to break $1,000 to take #1.

I think #2 is a fair goal though :)

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2012, 12:43:52 AM »
Just as an FYI....

"Invasion!" is actually two books plus 3 short stories.

First comes "Invasion!" which is the original unabridged, turned-in version of the book, about 35k words longer than the printed version, and contains 2 major characters, 2 subplots and some assorted prose that hit the cutting room floor.  And some names were changed between the turned-in and printed versions.

After that comes "Children of the Night", the first EVER e-book release of one of my Diana Tregarde books

Then three short stories that come between "World Divided" and "Revolution!" that were cut from "Revolution!"

Zolgar

• Grand Poobah of Plan Z
  • Boss
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2012, 01:00:12 AM »
Think I've gotten caught up on getting everyone's links sent off.If I've missed you, just PM me and I'll PM you the link instead of emailing.

Quinch

« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2012, 04:37:04 AM »
Just as an FYI....

"Invasion!" is actually two books plus 3 short stories.

First comes "Invasion!" which is the original unabridged, turned-in version of the book, about 35k words longer than the printed version, and contains 2 major characters, 2 subplots and some assorted prose that hit the cutting room floor.  And some names were changed between the turned-in and printed versions.

After that comes "Children of the Night", the first EVER e-book release of one of my Diana Tregarde books

Then three short stories that come between "World Divided" and "Revolution!" that were cut from "Revolution!"

So we're basically getting the GOTY version of the book? Nifty!

WolfSoul

• Lieutenant
    • Writing portfolio
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2012, 07:51:38 PM »
$20 sent.

Yay!  I helped!

Zolgar

• Grand Poobah of Plan Z
  • Boss
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2012, 08:13:14 PM »
$25 more and we take the #2 spot!

I should see about borrowing one of my parents eBook readers to read Invasion.

Grolleter

• Minion
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2012, 10:23:17 PM »
My $15 should put us to $250 (minus ChipIn fees).

darkquill

• Minion
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2012, 11:00:58 PM »
Is anyone else having trouble downloading the mobi and epub versions of Invasion? I get a "The information you requested could not be retrieved. " on both of those, but every other download link works okay.  The torrent version of both those links results in a 404.

Thanks for putting your books up for sale, VV! Thanks for organizing this, Zolgar!

Edit: all download links work now. yay!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 04:26:35 AM by darkquill »

fizzybomb

• Underling
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2012, 11:59:53 PM »
chipped in $15, hope it helps move this up

Zolgar

• Grand Poobah of Plan Z
  • Boss
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2012, 05:21:33 AM »
Thank you everyone for all your support..
We are now at #2, with $282.20! (ChipIn takes 5%, I rounded a couple increases off 'cause I felt like it. >.>)

Zolgar

• Grand Poobah of Plan Z
  • Boss
« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2012, 11:01:33 AM »
Booo, hiss! Someone knocked us out of our #2 position, and only by about $20!

P51mus

• Boss
  • aka Pitho
« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2012, 10:05:15 PM »
chipin won't accept my debit card for some reason (which definitely works, I've used it recently)

Zolgar

• Grand Poobah of Plan Z
  • Boss
« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2012, 05:49:01 AM »
chipin won't accept my debit card for some reason (which definitely works, I've used it recently)

Weird.. if it's still being an issue, and you have a paypal account.. you can send to me directly via PayPal at Yverthel(at)yahoo.com just make note it's for the Humble ChipIn. :)

Also, an update for everyone!
They have added 5 more books!
XKCD 0, 2 Penny Arcade books, and 2 books from some dude I've never heard of!

Zolgar

• Grand Poobah of Plan Z
  • Boss
« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2012, 07:45:34 AM »
I do not know what to say.
I am absolutely freaking speechless.

We're #1!

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2012, 09:15:46 AM »
I do not know what to say.
I am absolutely freaking speechless.

We're #1!

May you all live a thousand years.

And look and feel good doing it.

Quinch

« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2012, 01:46:37 PM »
Holy motherloving ghost of Atlas...

Last I looked we were at around $200... does that mean that someone chipped in with eight hundred schmuckers?

Daaaamn.

Mad props to you, whoever you be. Mad as hatters.

Moonfyire101

• Elite Boss
« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2012, 04:52:39 PM »
Holy motherloving ghost of Atlas...

Last I looked we were at around $200... does that mean that someone chipped in with eight hundred schmuckers?

Daaaamn.

Mad props to you, whoever you be. Mad as hatters.

Yeah i just noticed too! How did we get 800 in what felt like overnight wow, and there are new books now too, yay! We are #1 and i hope we stay there.

Zolgar

• Grand Poobah of Plan Z
  • Boss
« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2012, 05:10:14 PM »
That's about how I felt when I saw an $800 paypal payment..

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2012, 05:13:11 PM »
That's about how I felt when I saw an $800 paypal payment..
Wow.  I hope that wasn't a typo.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Hyperstrike

• Elite Boss
  • SaveCoH!
    • So Super It Hurts
« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2012, 07:57:35 PM »
Wow.  I hope that wasn't a typo.

Agreed.  Wow.  Tossed $5 at it.
I'd have tossed more, but I've tapped out my "mad money" allowance for this month between this and trying to make sure everyone on the GameAThon has at least SOME funding.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #50 on: October 17, 2012, 08:38:40 PM »
I spent my "play money" this month on ExtraLife or I'd chip in as well. Kudos to the $800 donator, you are a saint.

However, I would like to ask how you're splitting the money. Now that it's up there to an appreciable amount, folks might be more interested in discussing how to split it. The default split puts the 'humble tip' at a huge amount when you're that high, which I don't think is a 'fair deal' to the authors and charities.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #51 on: October 17, 2012, 08:43:10 PM »
"humble tip?"

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #52 on: October 17, 2012, 10:29:03 PM »
"humble tip?"

That is the percentage paid to the Humble Bundle people for putting this together and administering it.  While that might seem exorbitant, let me put it into perspective for you, since I was on the inside of this one.

Humble is administering all accounting and payout.  This means dividing up the money, paying immediate taxes, filing 1099s for the authors, cutting checks and distributing.  This is not inconsiderable work and is the reason why, although I have been the editor of record on SEVERAL anthologies, I have paid an outside packager on all of them to do all of that for me.

Humble did ALL of the reformatting work for us on the books to put them into e-format of three types from .doc files.  To give you an idea of just how much work that was, although the signup and coordination on this bundle began six months ago, we were literally right up to the wire on getting all of the files cleaned up and bugs taken out.  They ended up having to farm it out to three different entities for the reformatting.

And of course: Humble does the website creation (new page for every new bundle), the store, the art processing, in my case at least creating a brand new cover image from Larry's art, and all of the administration to make this possible.

So....doesn't seem quite so exorbitant now, does it?

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #53 on: October 17, 2012, 10:46:35 PM »
Given that I don't even know how much it is, it didn't seem exorbitant to me, before. I was mostly wondering what it was; I could see a few possibilities. One of which is what you outlined, which makes perfect sense to me.

Sekoia

• Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #54 on: October 17, 2012, 10:52:43 PM »
I spent my "play money" this month on ExtraLife or I'd chip in as well. Kudos to the $800 donator, you are a saint.

However, I would like to ask how you're splitting the money. Now that it's up there to an appreciable amount, folks might be more interested in discussing how to split it. The default split puts the 'humble tip' at a huge amount when you're that high, which I don't think is a 'fair deal' to the authors and charities.

You can't change the split after the fact, so discussing how to split it would only apply to contributions going forward.

To whoever put in $800... you rock. :)

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #55 on: October 17, 2012, 10:54:58 PM »
You can't change the split after the fact, so discussing how to split it would only apply to contributions going forward.

To whoever put in $800... you rock. :)

Amen to that. 

Knightward

• Minion
« Reply #56 on: October 18, 2012, 12:08:56 AM »
I put in $50 just now.  Go fig, I didn't even notice this until after I'd already bought both Secret World Chronicle books off of Amazon.  Oh well, it's all going to a good cause.  Also serves me right for being busy and not checking in here much the past week or so.

XKCD 0, 2 Penny Arcade books, and 2 books from some dude I've never heard of!
Zach Wiener, of the ever-hilarious webcomic, Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #57 on: October 18, 2012, 12:44:12 AM »
I put in $50 just now.  Go fig, I didn't even notice this until after I'd already bought both Secret World Chronicle books off of Amazon.  Oh well, it's all going to a good cause.  Also serves me right for being busy and not checking in here much the past week or so.

You are getting not just the unabridged version of Invasion! which has 35,000 more words (several characters and two story arcs that ended up on the cutting room floor, plus a couple stories with the rest of the cast that also ended up there), but 3 short stories that take place between book two and the (turned in two months ago) Book 3, PLUS a Diana Tregarde novel.  So you aren't getting shortchanged!

Hyperstrike

• Elite Boss
  • SaveCoH!
    • So Super It Hurts
« Reply #58 on: October 18, 2012, 03:07:06 AM »
Given that I don't even know how much it is, it didn't seem exorbitant to me, before. I was mostly wondering what it was; I could see a few possibilities. One of which is what you outlined, which makes perfect sense to me.

Basically, at default split, the "humble tip" comes out to a 15% service fee.
So, out of the $1123 that's up there this evening, Humble would get around $160.
The authors will get around $780.
The rest will go to charity.

Honestly, considering the amount of labor Humble puts in on this, I don't see $160 as an outrageous amount to give them.

Hyperstrike

• Elite Boss
  • SaveCoH!
    • So Super It Hurts
« Reply #59 on: October 18, 2012, 03:11:22 AM »
You are getting not just the unabridged version of Invasion! which has 35,000 more words (several characters and two story arcs that ended up on the cutting room floor, plus a couple stories with the rest of the cast that also ended up there), but 3 short stories that take place between book two and the (turned in two months ago) Book 3, PLUS a Diana Tregarde novel.  So you aren't getting shortchanged!

Oh man.  SO much Misty WIN right there!

Glad to see you decided that Di deserved another outing.  Always thought it was a shame that the series didn't sell better and attracted some kooks to you *looks in the mirror*.  Oh wait...

;)

Zolgar

• Grand Poobah of Plan Z
  • Boss
« Reply #60 on: October 18, 2012, 03:21:03 AM »
The only input I got on the split was someone suggesting 45/45/10 so that's what I did.

So, at the 1100ish that we've done (before I add the latest run):
$110 to Humble.
$495 to authors
$495 to charity
(all ballparked)

Knightward

• Minion
« Reply #61 on: October 18, 2012, 12:31:20 PM »
WOOOOO!!!!

Though personally, even if I was getting shortchanged, I'd have done it anyway.  Again, it's for a good cause.  Plus, YOU deserve our support for all you've done to save CoH!

Globetrotter

• Boss
  • I am a still Hero and This is what I do!
« Reply #62 on: October 19, 2012, 06:11:02 AM »
Chipped in after having had lots of problems with my paypal account ...ugh.
Gutta cavat lapidem, non vi, sed saepe cadendo.

Kalikamata

• Underling
« Reply #63 on: October 19, 2012, 06:34:13 PM »
Ok, chipped in! 

Zolgar

• Grand Poobah of Plan Z
  • Boss
« Reply #64 on: October 20, 2012, 07:06:37 AM »

OK, someone is going to get stabbed. Who claimed the key to their Humble account?
No one else can access it now. Thanks.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #65 on: October 20, 2012, 10:16:37 AM »
Start a new one, I'll chip in again.

Moonfyire101

• Elite Boss
« Reply #66 on: October 20, 2012, 10:58:29 AM »
key? what? explain please?

Zolgar

• Grand Poobah of Plan Z
  • Boss
« Reply #67 on: October 20, 2012, 05:03:17 PM »
key? what? explain please?

The page is unique to the purchase, and Humble introduced a system a while ago where you could have an account (like say GOG or Steam) and you could tie your Humble Bundles to your account, so that you could log in and always have them.

Someone tied the unique page that we got for pledging to their Humble account. Rendering it unavailable for anyone else to use.

VV:
It's gonna end tomorrow, anyways.

Is there anyone who has downloaded the whole thing that could set up a DropBox or similar system, so at least those of us who didn't download them all at once can get them?

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #68 on: October 20, 2012, 06:53:41 PM »
This is serious; we should contact Humble and see if they can do anything about it. Not acrimoniously, but seriously and professionally. Maybe appoint a spokesperson. (I suggest either the OP, the person who started the chipin, or VV.)

Moonfyire101

• Elite Boss
« Reply #69 on: October 20, 2012, 07:45:12 PM »
i have every format of everything
i don't do dropbox but i have a rapidshare account or skype if that helps.

Is there a way for whoever accidently linked it to their humble account to give access?

Sekoia

• Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #70 on: October 20, 2012, 09:19:25 PM »
This is serious; we should contact Humble and see if they can do anything about it. Not acrimoniously, but seriously and professionally. Maybe appoint a spokesperson. (I suggest either the OP, the person who started the chipin, or VV.)

I wouldn't recommend contacting Humble... From their terms of service:
Once you make a purchase, you should receive a unique download page. You shall not, directly or indirectly, disclose the unique URL for your download page to anyone else or use anyone else's download page. You are solely and entirely responsible for all activities that occur on your download page. Humble Bundle shall not be responsible for any losses arising out of the unauthorized use of your download page.

They're probably willing to look the other way when people do it, but it's probably not a good idea to directly bring it to their attention.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #71 on: October 20, 2012, 09:44:39 PM »
Yeah, don't contact Humble.  I have PDFs but not the HPDFs or the Epubs or Mobis.

If there is anyone who hasn't downloaded yet, we should organize a shared dropbox; Moonfyire can upload there, and everyone else can download from there.  Dropbox is free and easy to set up.

Bliz

• Boss
    • StudioBliz
« Reply #72 on: October 20, 2012, 09:56:03 PM »
I didn't download any of the things; I was waiting until the end. But I did chip in. :/

Anyway, I have a dropbox and I can set up a folder if you guys can get me the files.
Liz

My City of Heroes shirts and stuff on RedBubble:
https://www.redbubble.com/people/bliz/collections/261901-city-of-heroes

Sekoia

• Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #73 on: October 20, 2012, 10:34:02 PM »
I had separately bought my own copy before chipping in, so I have access to all of them. I don't want to personally make them publicly available, but I'm more than happy to share a copy with someone else who wants to. I'm uploading them right now and will send a PM to syrusb so she can download a copy and make them available to everybody else.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #74 on: October 20, 2012, 11:17:57 PM »
If only we were in charge of the whole NCSoft debacle, we'd not only have a solution in place we'd be running in parrallel with the NCSoft CoX while Codewalker slowly imported our toons.   :'(

Moonfyire101

• Elite Boss
« Reply #75 on: October 20, 2012, 11:23:19 PM »
I'm archiving the books into .rars right now, i'll link here in this post for you guys...or should i wait to be infromed who to link to? Maybe someone could tell me who paid and i'll link them.

EDIT: Correction, my internet isn't working properly today so let me know who paid and needs the files and i will upload tomorrow after i contact my isp to fix it. Thanks.

Zolgar

• Grand Poobah of Plan Z
  • Boss
« Reply #76 on: October 21, 2012, 04:37:01 AM »
So, we keep the current ChipIn running and distribute the DropBox link instead?

Bliz

• Boss
    • StudioBliz
« Reply #77 on: October 21, 2012, 06:20:00 AM »
Okay guys, I got the files from Sekoia and split them up int 6 zips 'cause my Dropbox was freakin' out over super large files. Here are all the links, and please let me know if there are any issues.

[removed]
Links have been distributed and unless otherwise requested, will remain as they were.

edit:
Forgot about this link which may have some helpful info:
http://support.humblebundle.com/customer/portal/articles/776614-signal-to-noise-file-choices
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 04:21:28 PM by syrusb »
Liz

Zolgar

• Grand Poobah of Plan Z
  • Boss
« Reply #78 on: October 21, 2012, 06:49:59 AM »
Okay guys, I got the files from Sekoia and split them up int 6 zips 'cause my Dropbox was freakin' out over super large files. Here are all the links, and please let me know if there are any issues.

[removed]
Links have been distributed and unless otherwise requested, will remain as they were.

edit:
Forgot about this link which may have some helpful info:
http://support.humblebundle.com/customer/portal/articles/776614-signal-to-noise-file-choices

You rock.

And apparently that does what I was considering anyways and makes it availible to everyone on behalf of #SaveCOH. :)

Moderator edit: I updated the quoted portion to match the change syrusb made to her post. -- Sekoia
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 06:07:26 PM by Sekoia »

Moonfyire101

• Elite Boss
« Reply #79 on: October 21, 2012, 12:00:33 PM »
ok, welli have it on rapidshare if anyone doesn't want to install dropbox. Dropbox stays on and takes up ram if you don't close it from your tray which is why i don't use it. I had to compress them into .rar  files to upload them easier so you will have to unzip them. Internet is still crappy today but at least it has upload now. Yesterday i had 0Mbs upload speed. Today i only have half .5 but it's better than 0. Gotta call isp tomorrow if it still isn't right.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 12:53:55 PM by Moonfyire101 »

Quinch

« Reply #80 on: October 21, 2012, 12:01:47 PM »
Um, you don't need Dropbox installed just to download something uploaded to a public folder.

Moonfyire101

• Elite Boss
« Reply #81 on: October 21, 2012, 12:19:40 PM »
Um, you don't need Dropbox installed just to download something uploaded to a public folder.

oh ok, my fiance has it becuase he was working on a video game for someone and they used it to keep files for all the people working on it and his crappy computer doesn't have enough ram so he closes it in Task Manager all the time becuase it uses too much. They told him he had to install it. I don't know why then.

Sekoia

• Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #82 on: October 21, 2012, 05:34:32 PM »
Just a quick thought... This forum is publicly viewable by the whole internet, so posting the download links here makes them available to the world for free. Maybe we should take them down and Zolgar can email everybody who should have them? (Email is probably a good idea anyway, some people may not realize they can't download them right away or may not think to look here.)

Moonfyire101

• Elite Boss
« Reply #83 on: October 22, 2012, 12:39:57 AM »
Just a quick thought... This forum is publicly viewable by the whole internet, so posting the download links here makes them available to the world for free. Maybe we should take them down and Zolgar can email everybody who should have them? (Email is probably a good idea anyway, some people may not realize they can't download them right away or may not think to look here.)

That is why i said for the email addresses of the peple who paid to be sent to me so i can link them.

Zolgar

• Grand Poobah of Plan Z
  • Boss
« Reply #84 on: October 22, 2012, 02:33:26 AM »
I do actually need to make a second Humble order, as with the link being claimed, I can't access it to update the payment, either. Well, maybe we'll get on the board twice!

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #85 on: October 22, 2012, 03:03:43 AM »
Well cool.

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #86 on: October 22, 2012, 01:08:42 PM »
Zolgar, if you do make a second order, would it be wise to claim the link, yourself, and distribute the products in this secondary fashion to those who pay in? This would enable you to consistently update the price and prevent anybody ELSE for locking it up.

Moonfyire101

• Elite Boss
« Reply #87 on: October 22, 2012, 02:18:53 PM »

Bliz

• Boss
    • StudioBliz
« Reply #88 on: October 22, 2012, 04:22:24 PM »
I went ahead and removed the links from my post since you distributed them to emails.

Unless otherwise asked I'll leave the link location/file names as they are. You may want to modify your quote of my links, too.
Liz

Sekoia

• Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #89 on: October 22, 2012, 06:11:02 PM »
You may want to modify your quote of my links, too.

I went ahead and took care of that.

Thanks syrusb and moonyfire for the file hosting!

Zolgar

• Grand Poobah of Plan Z
  • Boss
« Reply #90 on: October 23, 2012, 02:57:26 AM »
Thanks for that Sekoia :)

Anyways, a second Humble has been purchased, doesn't look like we'll make it on the board twice, but that's cool. We've still raised $1323 so far, about $1265ish after ChipIn's cut.. that's over $500 to charity!

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #91 on: October 23, 2012, 03:34:17 AM »
What's the link for the new one? I can throw another $10 at it...

Zolgar

• Grand Poobah of Plan Z
  • Boss
« Reply #92 on: October 23, 2012, 04:59:50 AM »
What's the link for the new one? I can throw another $10 at it...

It's the same ChipIn, just a 2nd bundle :)

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #93 on: October 24, 2012, 12:01:54 AM »
The Humble eBook Bundle is over, with 84,165 bundles sold for a total of $1,201,961.57.

Top contributors

1.  #SaveCoH  $1,238.00
2.  @wrapbootstrap  $1,000.00
3.  @samfox  $520.49
4.  Anonymous  $340.00
5.  the-endnote.com  $274.00
6.  @gutsygeek  $250.00
7.  @JacoboTarrio  $242.42
8.  @wilw's 20-sided die @cnpwork  $242.42
9.  @wilw's clown sweater  $242.01
10.  @wilw  $242.00

Congrats, everyone!  You did it!  8)
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #94 on: October 24, 2012, 12:04:34 AM »
WOOHOOO!   Good job all!

Zolgar

• Grand Poobah of Plan Z
  • Boss
« Reply #95 on: October 24, 2012, 03:08:57 AM »
I can still edit the 2nd one for a few days, so if anyone was going to jump in on it, you can. :)

Also:
Thank you all for pitching in and helping out with something awesome! Together we raised over $500 for charity and over $500 for awesome authors.
Not that it wasn't slightly tempting to take the money and run... ;) I kid, I kid.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 03:21:41 AM by Zolgar »