Author Topic: Call to Action: Comic Cons  (Read 45993 times)

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
Call to Action: Comic Cons
« on: September 30, 2012, 03:06:10 PM »

UPDATES

Wow, I didn't realize that there were so many other conventions coming up!  I guess it is that time of the year!  Here's a list of some others at which anyone who is going can help us out as well:

October 11, 12, 13, 14: New York Comic Con (New York City, New York)
October 13, 14: Alternative Press Expo (San Francisco, California)
October 19, 20, 21: Dallas Comic Con Fan Days (Dallas, Texas)
October 26, 27, 28: Wizard World Comic Con (Austin, Texas)
October 26, 27, 28: Hal-Con (Halifax, Nova Scotia)
November 1, 2, 3, 4: Youmacon 2012 (Detroit, Michigan)
November 3, 4: Long Beach Comic & Horror Con (Long Beach, California)
November 18: So Cal Comic Con (Oceanside, California)

ORIGINAL POST

Hey all, the timing of NCsoft's announcement totally sucked, being the exact weekend of two major regional gatherings (PAX and Dragon*Con) of the City of Heroes demographic and not giving us time to plan something like this.  However, we have another chance to reach out to the gaming and especially the comic fan community with the New York Comic Con coming up weekend after next (October 11-14).  Here are a few ideas about what I'd like to do.

Flyers

One of the best way to get the word out is to hand out flyers in locations around the venue.  Print out a bunch, take them with you, and give them to passers-by headed into the convention.  The people who run the con might not allow you to do so inside Javits Center, but you should be okay on sidewalks outside the venue.  I'll try to get in touch with the event organizers this week and nail down more information regarding any limitations on where you can do this.

Please keep in mind that I'm not asking you to spend the whole convention handing out flyers; I know that there are people and events you want to take part in.  Having been to several of these conventions before, though, there is sometimes a lot of "dead time" that you spend in between speakers and getting autographs, time that you probably kill in the dealer room and whatnot.  If you can spend an hour or two over the course of the day handing out flyers, that would be immensely helpful.

There are a few flyers posted in this thread, and I'll post more here as I get them.  Ideally, your flyers will be visually grabbing, have a link to http://www.savecoh.com/, and have a brief explanation of our plight.  Remember, most people will probably glance at it just long enough to throw it in the trash, so keep it simple.

Speaking of which, please don't be offended if people take the flyer and throw it away or refuse to take it to begin with.  Don't take it personally, and for the love of whatever deity you hold sacred, please don't get into an argument or fight with anyone.  Remember that you're representing our community!

Oh, and if you have a City of Heroes t-shirt from any of the Hero-Cons, meet-and-greets, or Player Summits, wear it!  (Unless you're going in costume, in which case we really need you to hand out flyers!)

Working with Dealers

For those of you unfamiliar with these conventions, they always have a really large display floor where dealers in various types of merchandise peddle their stuff.  If you know any dealers that are attending, please contact them beforehand, tell them who we are and what we're doing, and ask if they'll put some flyers on their table(s).  You can tell them that if they will, I'll be sure to plug them here on our forums in a special thread dedicated to vendors who help us, where a lot of NYCC visitors will undoubtedly see it.

If you don't, take a bunch of flyers with you, talk to some of the vendors (especially ones selling comics), and ask as you're walking around if they'd be willing to put some flyers on their table.

If you see Save City of Heroes flyers on a vendor's table please be sure to stop and tell them thanks for helping us!  If you have a few spare bucks in your pocket, think about buying something from them to reinforce the thought that helping us was a great idea!

Talking to Personalities

There are going to be a bunch of notable personalities there from the comic and entertainment world.  If you see an opportunity to mention City of Heroes and our situation, please take the opportunity to do so.  But one caveat: Please be respectful!  If you stand up in the middle of a session and start yelling, "Save City of Heroes!!!" I will personally come smack you in the head.  If you have a few minutes with one of these personalities, though, and can get (for example) a picture of one of them holding a flyer or something, that's golden.  Even if you just mention us at an autograph session so that if they see a tweet or something they might retweet it, that would be great.

Take some flyers with you to these sessions also.  There is time before and after, and especially if you're waiting in autograph lines, to talk to other fans and give them flyers.  Shoot, for that matter, if you don't already have something you want the person to autograph, get them to autograph a Save City of Heroes flyer!

As a side note, Sean Astin is attending.  If you talk to him and/or get his autograph, please tell him that it really meant a lot to us that he retweeted the Save City of Heroes tweet.  I'm a big fan of his ever since I saw Goonies back in the 80s, so that was kind of a BFD to me.  Also, if someone gets an autograph from Peter "Fifth Doctor" Davison for me, you will be my best friend forever, I'm just sayin'...  :)

Taking Pictures

This is probably the most important part of this Call to Action.  GET PICTURES.  Specifically, these are pictures that we can really use:
  • Pictures of you handing out flyers.  This would go in press releases to show how dedicated our fans are.
  • Pictures of vendors who put our flyers on their tables.  I really want to plug the hell out of anyone who does this, so please be sure to snap a photo of any vendors' tables you see with our flyers.
  • Notable personalities doing anything City of Heroes-related.  Again, please don't be annoying, but if you get them to, for example, hold up a Save City of Heroes flyer or autograph a flyer, take a picture of it!  If you actually get them to autograph a Save City of Heroes flyer, be sure to take a picture of the flyer ASAP in case you lose it or it gets mangled.  As a side note, please don't get offended or take it personally if a notable personality refuses.  Some of them have contracts and whatnot that prevent them from being associated with stuff like this, so don't press the issue if they don't want to participate.
  • If you can get video of something City of Heroes-related (such as any of the above), we can probably use that, too.  Just please be respectful; you're representing us and I don't want everyone to think you're one of "those people."
Anything you get, feel free to e-mail me at tonyv@cohtitan.com and I'll try to use it in a press release or, at the very least, get it posted somewhere for everyone to know what we're up to.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 05:36:35 PM by Sekoia »

Mr. Wentworth

• Lieutenant
  • "I aim to misbehave..."
    • Real World Hero
Re: Call to Action: NY Comic Con
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 04:49:51 PM »
FPATV!

Brilliant idea. I wish I lived on the right coast. Not to muddy the waters for this call, but there are likely many similar events happening throughout the country for those who can't make it to NYCC. Here's a short list of a few I found.

Las Vegas Comic Con September 29-30 www.lasvegascomicexpo.com

Alternative Press Expo October 13-14 www.comic-con.org/ape

Long Beach Comic Convention  November 3-4  www.longbeachcomiccon.com

So Cal Comic Con,  November 18  www.socalcomiccon.com

Wizard World Comic Con,   Austin, TX Oct 26-28 www.wizardworld.com
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 04:58:24 PM by Mr. Wentworth »

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 04:54:25 PM »
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Vulpy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 05:27:12 PM »
I'm not in a position to get to NYC, but... I know a coordinator for a much smaller con. I've had her pass along some basic news stories about us already. I'll contact her about this.
@Vulpy
Protector Server

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2012, 06:33:42 PM »
For still being in the planning phase, that post is full of win already!
The end result should be impressive, and goodluck everyone attending, you're like our very own Omega Team! (Except you get to meet cool people and stuff instead of facing certain death! :P)

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2012, 06:36:04 PM »
Don't they usually have group costume contests at these things? Imagine a horde of players dressed as their toons, all walking out onto the stage, and raising torch props.

Rae

• Elite Boss
  • Journo/PR: The Phoenix Project
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2012, 06:57:33 PM »
Does..anyone wanna lend me the plane fare to come to the US? :D
--
@Vandellia
Virtue - Vandellia / Unseen Scarlet

Twitter: @Skybloopink

Burnt Toast

• Elite Boss
  • Tastes Good!
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2012, 07:08:26 PM »
AFAIK TonyV has set up a fund to fly approx 100 people to this... just contact him at his email address:
tonyvgotsmoneyforyou@savecoh.com

:)

Wish I was still on the East Cost because then I might have been able to attend. Can't wait to see the awesome pics that come from this and who knows maybe some new articles :)

(FYI I was kidding about TonyV flying 100 people to this...last I heard he was just gonna fly Rae and myself out)

(OK OK GEES I am kidding he's not flying any of us out there :()

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2012, 07:32:06 PM »
AFAIK TonyV has set up a fund to fly approx 100 people to this... just contact him at his email address:
tonyvgotsmoneyforyou@savecoh.com

:)

Wish I was still on the East Cost because then I might have been able to attend. Can't wait to see the awesome pics that come from this and who knows maybe some new articles :)

(FYI I was kidding about TonyV flying 100 people to this...last I heard he was just gonna fly Rae and myself out)

(OK OK GEES I am kidding he's not flying any of us out there :()
Mhm, it was Burnt Toast that was gonna give us all a ride on his private jet.
Right...? Maybe not! x.x

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2012, 08:33:09 PM »
Mhm, it was Burnt Toast that was gonna give us all a ride on his private jet.
Right...? Maybe not! x.x

Everyone relax. I've been slaving in my engineering lab for the past 2 months, and my MiB friend has given me the names and addys of everyone on this board.  You should all be receiving your temporary jetpack power in the mail within the next week.

chaparralshrub

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2012, 08:37:49 PM »
Everyone relax. I've been slaving in my engineering lab for the past 2 months, and my MiB friend has given me the names and addys of everyone on this board.  You should all be receiving your temporary jetpack power in the mail within the next week.

Wow, even Crey Industries is making an effort to help us out!

I'm afraid I'm going to be slaving away teaching biology. I have my own heroing to do. :)

Graphite

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2012, 08:58:41 PM »
I live in Binghamton, NY and would love to help!

I've been wanting to attend NYC comic con for a while and seeing as how much CoH means to me, this gives me a great excuss to go... However, I have a church commitment on Sunday at 1:00 PM.  So this just leaves me with two major questions before I can seriously consider it.

1) Is there anywhere I can crash for the nights in question?
2) What does the bus, train etc schedule look like?

I would love to help make this happen, but it is definately not something I can do on my own.

EDIT: I just spoke to my wife, who use to do costuming for Disney, and she said she would help me create a costume for my signature character for this.  Anyone else remember the CoH RL costume contest?  If we could get  a bunch of people dressed up as their mains, that would be amazing!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 09:06:55 PM by Graphite »

Altoholic Monkey

• Lieutenant
    • Repeat Offenders Network - Making the stupidly difficult easy since 2005
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2012, 09:15:50 PM »
  But one caveat: Please be respectful!  If you stand up in the middle of a session and start yelling, "Save City of Heroes!!!" I will personally come smack you in the head. 

Again we still need those shirts. "I was smacked in the head by Tony V, and all I got was this t-shirt!"  :P

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2012, 11:37:36 PM »
Is there any system change.org has that enables you to transfer door-to-door signatures to the online one? Or perhaps with a portable app? If so, we could get more names for it remotely.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2012, 11:40:14 PM »
Is there any system change.org has that enables you to transfer door-to-door signatures to the online one? Or perhaps with a portable app? If so, we could get more names for it remotely.

If anyone has a tablet and an internet connection, you could get them to sign the change.org petition right there and then.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Graphite

• Lieutenant
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2012, 01:35:40 AM »
If we have internet, I can bring my laptop.

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2012, 01:48:50 AM »
GO FORTH, our honorable heroes, our stalwart soldiers, and our valiant villains.

Stand firm. Spread the word. Our hearts and souls go with you. $deityspeed.
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

Moonfyire101

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2012, 02:10:55 AM »
Michigan con on Nov 2-4

http://www.youmacon.com/

I'll be there and possibly have flyers in all 10,000 goodie bags, nagotiations still pending on that one. Otherwise i'll still have a poster and flyers at my table on the 3rd. If anyone else is going to this one please do whatever you can to help as well. I will only be there on Saterday as that is all my work will permit.

If anyone wants to use any of mine and rocks flyers, rockdeadman.deviantart.com i have a print copy in pdf format where i made the text for print. Just pm me your email or skype and i'll send them.

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2012, 08:09:15 AM »
I wish I was on that side of country... and I could afford.  Nevertheless, good luck to everyone who can make it!

Jetfire99

• Lieutenant
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2012, 11:23:16 AM »
I'm too far away I'm on the West Coast of Canada. But to all those who are going to this. Good luck, do what you can. At least people can never say we didn't go to the wall to try to save this community.