Author Topic: Word-Spreading Event: Media Day  (Read 29200 times)

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
Re: Word-Spreading Event: Media Day
« Reply #120 on: October 13, 2012, 12:27:59 AM »
Sent out a couple more invitations, this time to news stations in St. Louis and Springfield, MO (they're both 90 miles or so from Rolla).

Need to send some to the Miner (student-run paper) and KMNR (student-run radio station) and Rolla's local paper.

Should I send it to radio stations, do you think? They don't usually do long news stories, to my knowledge, but...I could be wrong.

Next on the planning agenda: tentative program of events. Either I or Quantum Hero (or some other volunteer) should take the list of ideas QH put up a page or so back and try to organize them into time slots. These will be tentative; our next move will be to get volunteers to host each individual one.

JWBullfrog

• Elite Boss
  • I didn't leave Paragon City. They threw me out!
« Reply #121 on: October 13, 2012, 03:34:48 AM »
Segev, forgive me if this has already been mentioned but have you tried contacting NPR affiliates? This might just be the kind of thing that public radio goes for. "Plucky players, pester publisher" tht kind of thing.  (wow, was that that a tabloid headline!)  If they pick it up, it could get far more coverage that with other mainstream media outlets.
As long as somebody keeps making up stories for it, the City isn't gone.

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #122 on: October 13, 2012, 05:16:57 AM »
Good point! I tend to forget NPR even exists, it's so far off my normal radar. Thanks for pointing it out. I'll do it in the morning. (If I don't post that I have, e-kick me again in this thread or a message.)

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #123 on: October 13, 2012, 06:14:54 AM »
NPR is the only thing my dog listens to while I'm at work all day!   :D
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

QuantumHero

• Elite Boss
« Reply #124 on: October 13, 2012, 06:18:45 PM »
<pokes segev>

I was not really home yesterday but will try to transpose the program idea list today if no one gets to it before me.

This is your reminder about NPR

Also still looking for others actually going to Rolla.  A lot of that list was supposing we would ahve physical people there
If given two roads that lead no where good...stop using roads and carve your own path.

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #125 on: October 13, 2012, 06:21:29 PM »
Sent press releases/invitations to NPR Morning Edition and Talk of the Nation, and to several Maine newspapers (as we have a volunteer mentor in Maine who gave me the contacts for them).

If anybody else has papers or stations or other outlets in their region they recommend, please let me know!

Quantum Hero, thanks for putting that list together when you get to it. (I was posting this as you posted, ironically.) If we CAN'T get physical people there, we need to know that, too. >_< I might just be the only one. Still waiting to hear back from any interested media guests, as well.

So yeah, if you're going to Rolla, please say so! If not, we will re-adjust for a more pure-Virtual presence. (I've made my plane reservations, and I have friends in the area; I'm going, no matter what. But I don't want QH to put herself out of finances and time if we're not going to have enough for it to really work as more than a "let's play CoH" room.)

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #126 on: October 13, 2012, 07:32:33 PM »
Segev, I have two accounts to donate to the mild-mannered reporters. The trouble is, my ability to connect to the internet that weekend will be sketchy, at best. So if there is someone you want me to submit the info to, it will probably have to happen by this Thursday.

QuantumHero

• Elite Boss
« Reply #127 on: October 13, 2012, 10:41:33 PM »
Media Day Events/Programs in no particular order

Since I no longer know what is going to be virtual and what is going to be physical I'm loosly throwing together events into themes...note that we can always move something between catagories.

Set up/Logistics/coordination - both virtual and physical (if applicable)

Brief video/Introduction/Welcome

Three Worlds in One - Paragon City, Rogue, Isles, Praetoria (also co-op zones, shadow shard, pocket d, etc).  Three starting experiences, three play experiences., the ability to cross between them.

Our unique game, our unique community -  mission architect, power customization, costume creater versatility,, ouroboros, tip missions, casual or serious, radio missions, task forces, giant monsters, mini task forces, seasonal and special events, incarnate, solo or teamed, gamers with disabilities, non-traditional gamers....a unique and involved community.

Timeline - of our game, the shut down (including just how badly caught by suprise paragon was, hyping comming attractions an hour before getting canned), I 24, the fight to save us. 

Links to our most powerful media content and testimonials (live presentation if we have one)

Free, Premiere, VIP, reward tokens and paragon points. 

Character creation and game play basic and advanced versions, teaming in COH unless handled by individual mentors

Creating a Charactor: Designing a look from simple to advanced

Making your own AE mission

Why save City of Heroes and the need for a MMO gamer's "bill of rights" (make sure they know we are profitable AND willing to buy the rights)

NcSoft the Gamekillers

Show of solidarity...hold our torches high

Other October 20th events (extra life, turn up the volume, etc)

Plans A-Z and the building of our own MMO if we must

Multi-media songs, poems, videos, letters, collages, web-links

Any other ideas folks?

If given two roads that lead no where good...stop using roads and carve your own path.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #128 on: October 14, 2012, 02:23:34 AM »
I can mentor on Virtue and Pinnacle, and be a virtual presence.  Bandwidth being what it is, I cannot game and Skype at the same time, so my mentoring will all be via chat, but I am a fast typist.  I am available for interviews should anyone actually want one.  PM me if you want my phone number.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Rae

• Elite Boss
  • Journo/PR: The Phoenix Project
« Reply #129 on: October 14, 2012, 12:34:50 PM »
I'll do what I can to spread the word on the FB groups/Twitter that this is happening and ask people to make an effort to be online. Even if they can't physically play, it wouldn't hurt them to vigil in AP.

I'll do what I can to be around for this, too, although I can't guarantee it won't just be an AFK AP33 vigil, depending on timezones and real life, so I wouldn't wanna volunteer myself as a mentor or whatever.

If you wanna add me, it's @Vandellia, though, if I'm about and you need team members or someone to be suitable sad about the closure and helpful to new people.
--
@Vandellia
Virtue - Vandellia / Unseen Scarlet

Twitter: @Skybloopink

Prexx

• Underling
« Reply #130 on: October 14, 2012, 04:54:23 PM »
So it turns out that I have another obligation that starts at about 2pm (mountain time) on the 20th.  I can still help out with anything on the virtual side up until I have to leave.  While I am not much for speeches, I can definitely give tours through missions or zones or do other types of mentoring.  My main characters are on Virtue and Guardian, but I am more than willing to transfer one to another server if need be.  Also, my free account will be available to use for whoever needs it.  Its two character slots are on Virtue and are empty.

Globetrotter

• Boss
  • I am a still Hero and This is what I do!
« Reply #131 on: October 15, 2012, 10:47:50 AM »
I will be available in game on Protector, Virtue, Victory or Freedom for any kind of assist. Globals in game are @globetrotter and @alber. Also have some free player accounts available and one premium account.
Gutta cavat lapidem, non vi, sed saepe cadendo.

JWBullfrog

• Elite Boss
« Reply #132 on: October 16, 2012, 01:07:34 AM »
Already volunteered the use of my free account if it's needed. There are two available character slots on Protector. Work requirements in real life will probably prevent me from being available online until after 9PM eastern time on the 20th but after that time, I'll be happy to assist in whatever way I can if you still need me.

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #133 on: October 16, 2012, 01:22:32 AM »
I want to thank everybody for their volunteering and their efforts.

As of yet, I've heard back from no potential guests, media or otherwise. While I will still be going to Cog Con in Rolla and trying to set up this room, I will only ask that people who've volunteered check in periodically throughout the day if they're available, rather than setting up a specific "you must be here!!!" time, because as it stands, we might just have a few walk-in guests. :(

I am not giving up just yet, but I want to be realistic and I don't want to ruin others' weekends by asking them to be there when we might have little to be there fore. I will know a bit more tomorrow, however; maybe we'll get some good news.

Until then, though, I just want, once again, to extend my thanks to all who've helped me try to get this working. I know we've canvassed a lot of media outlets, and some have printed the press release even if they haven't sent any indication that they'll be participating. So some word has gotten out!

And remember, above all else: have fun. This is a game, and there are plenty of other events happening at the same time, so enjoy whatever you wish to do! We can still add some numbers to the server population on the 20th!

JWBullfrog

• Elite Boss
« Reply #134 on: October 16, 2012, 01:24:18 AM »
And my semi-obsessive hunt for CoH related news has turned up this ...

http://interact.stltoday.com/pr/arts-entertainment/PR101312011310681

If nothing else it's more advertising.

Lets keep the snowball rolling.

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #135 on: October 19, 2012, 01:31:12 AM »
Well, my flight leaves at 6:05 am tomorrow morning!

I have no idea what to expect in the way of attendance from people other than volunteers. To those who have offered accounts, but can't be there, I am sorry I haven't emailed you. If you are comfortable sharing the information with me directly, my email is segev.stormlord@gmail.com or the one I used in the press release. They both go to the same place.

Thanks to all who've volunteered. I will post tomorrow night with a better idea of what the actual setup consists of, there. To all those participating in the other events on Saturday, good job, good luck, and have fun!

Thank you all. I'll see you on Saturday I hope! (Spending most of tomorrow visiting family and traveling)

Rotten Luck

• Elite Boss
  • "I'd rather go out a hero than a coward."
« Reply #136 on: October 19, 2012, 01:48:06 AM »
Have anyone thought of making a SG "Save COH" yet?
One way or another... Heroes will fly again!

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #137 on: October 19, 2012, 02:19:06 AM »
Emailed you, Segev.

JWBullfrog

• Elite Boss
« Reply #138 on: October 19, 2012, 02:20:21 AM »
same here

OzonePrime

• Elite Boss
  • Never Give Up! Never Surrender!
« Reply #139 on: October 19, 2012, 11:39:39 AM »
Can assist all weekend, on Guardian, Exalted, and one alt on Virtue. Will probably spend most of my time on Guardian, though. Want to play my very first alt. Will miss her the most, I think. Look for Indigo Fey, which is also my global.
 Look forward to seeing everyone playing, this weekend!