Author Topic: Word-Spreading Event: Media Day  (Read 29201 times)

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
Re: Word-Spreading Event: Media Day
« Reply #100 on: October 09, 2012, 12:07:21 PM »
Great! Thanks, rae!

QuantumHero

• Elite Boss
« Reply #101 on: October 09, 2012, 01:49:17 PM »
Attempted travel update.  Segev and I seemed to have reached the same conclussion about the supposed train station in Rolla (I really hate when official information sites give misinformation)

With that it mind I am tenatively planning a Friday evening train ride to Saint Louis which hopefully means meeting up with others there before continuing the journey by car or bus.  The good news it will cost under 70 dollars round trip.  From Saint Louis we are looking at about a 2-2.5 hour drive.  Or we could all try and come into Jeff City...but there are not as many trains going through and renting a car at odd tmes may be more difficult.

I'm attempting this on a shoe string budget due to a major expense I can not avoid a few days earlier.  If we can get one room for the ladies and one for the gentlemen and bring sleeping bags...its only one or two nights 4-6 people in a room (or more) will drop the cost a lot. 

We are definately going to need equipment to pull this off <sigh>.  We need a display screen and form of projection for one and a sound system.  Plus the virtualization...I am really woried about bandwith issues here but maybe they won't be a concern at a college...d they have an AV or broadcasting class/club willing to help us?
If given two roads that lead no where good...stop using roads and carve your own path.

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #102 on: October 09, 2012, 02:14:31 PM »
Two hours is about right for a trip from inside St. Louis proper out to Rolla. It's 90 min. from West County to Rolla.

I am borrowing parents' vehicle for the weekend, as I said. I can switch to the 12-seater van if it will help, but I'll have to ask people to chip in on gas a little since it's not exactly "fuel efficient." (I use scare quotes there because, technically, the more people in it, the more efficient it is based on gallons-of-gas-per-person.) My own flight arrives in St. Louis before 10 am; I will be spending at least part of the day with family because I haven't seen them in a while. What time are others arriving? And how many "others" are there?

Though I can chip in to help a little with hotel costs, I will not be staying in one. I am staying at a friend's apartment. I am not comfortable asking him to house strangers, sorry. ^^; He doesn't have much space.

Display screen and projector I can probably arrange through the campus. I believe the Gaming Association can borrow or rent such for us (I will help defray any costs they might have to the best of my ability); I'll talk to the coordinator about it. Sound system...we'll be relying on charity. I'll bring my computer speakers, and they're not terrible, but it's just one set.

Bandwidth issues will be a concern if we have multiple machines trying to use one port. I am going to try to work to get students who'll volunteer their machines for the effort, since they can use the network more directly. I may need to invest in a hub. It is not possible to piggyback unregistered computers on the wired connection, unfortunately, but we CAN, I am fairly sure, use the public wireless. Still, any student or faculty-owned computers we can get for our primary contact point will be best. (I doubt I count as either anymore, as my university web space stopped working a couple months ago.)

Thanks for the note about AV equipment, QuantumHero! I am really groping blind on exactly what we'll need, so keep any suggestions coming. The worst that can happen is we'll realize we don't need/can't provide for them.

I'm guessing we want the big screen projection for any broadcasts and events. We'll still want some stations for any guests who show up in person, and we'll probably use the big screen for video chat with distance participants when appropriate.

Over the next couple of days, we should nail down a tentative schedule of events. Remember the Con's overall structure is a series of 4-hour "slots," starting at 9 am, 2 pm, and 7 pm.

(They are apparently not doing the charity raffle this year.)

We need not plan to use all three slots, but we should plan to schedule our events to fit within them as best as possible just to click with other events in which people might want to participate. Distance events are the best ones to allow to diverge from that schedule.

QuantumHero

• Elite Boss
« Reply #103 on: October 09, 2012, 06:24:59 PM »
Supplies and Logistics:

We need posters, signs, artwork, and hand-outs.

I don't know how big this con is but I want people walking in to be unable to miss our existance and want to come see.

Computers I want one dedicated computer on the petition encouraging people to sign it, I recommend the same plan for our new york group....unless comming from the same IP is a problem.

I would like another dedicated computer running a live presentation of videos and promo material (contact video owners directly to place files on a computer and not take bandwidth for you-tube/cohtube?)

Maps of game zones, official and gamer created artwork to decorate the area with

A file of letters and testimonials with any sensative data blacked out.

Workshops on charactor design (visual)

And power design/play styles.

Presentations on our three worlds in one

Presentation on our time line/history/ Aug 29th (and the things sold just prior), I 24.

Identifying t-shirts, capes, jackets, hats, badges or something for our team to wear (remember most of us have never met in RL)...and something fun for guests.  Cut out masks?

Should we have computers dedicated for charactor costume design and then export the designs to a computer that is actually playing the game for our guests?  Set up an electronic questionaire and build a suitable toon for each guest all ready to finalized with them?

How do we handle hero, villain, praetorian.  Each have things to offer a presentation or hand out about what the three starting worlds mean.

I would also recommend higher level character content being available either in movie or playable format.  What do people think the best show case missions/areas/powersets are?
If given two roads that lead no where good...stop using roads and carve your own path.

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #104 on: October 09, 2012, 06:46:40 PM »
Excellent list. I have one (hopefully very small) bucket of cold water to throw on it: we are not the entire con, and the con itself is not large. We have one room. It should be decently sized, but we won't be able to split off into multiple rooms at the physical location.

That said! We can do posters and fliers. We can have one workshop at a time, and we can show videos on our main projector if we're not using it for anything else (and we may well not be). A big part of our "power" here is that we've got a virtual presence, so even when we can't spread out to multiple physical rooms, we can invite online attendees to do things via webcast, voice chat, video chat, and in the game proper.

Most of QuantumHero's list is doable and wise for what amounts to a "single booth" at a convention. (There really aren't booths at this one, but as I said, we have a room.) I will bring my own laptop, which is a quad-core that I use as my desktop. I am going to be working tonight on a flyer to try to get volunteers to loan computers to this effort for other dedicated machines. Surely, there are CoH/V players on campus who will want to help and maybe even participate.

I don't know if coming from the same IP is an issue for the petition; I THINK I remember it requiring an email address, so that might be sufficient proof-of-individuality.

If I can get the letters and testimonials printed out, I can probably spread them out on part of a table for people to peruse.

I'd like to add a plea to the /em holdtorch crowd that if they can put together that collage, I will strive my best to get it printed out and displayed at our physical location.

Identifying T-shirts or badges or the like are going to be tricky. We'll need to come up with something, though, as you're quite right about needing ease-of-ID for each other.

Goodies for the guests are, I think, going to be the hardest part. Brainstorming is good, here! Remember: we need to be able to do it in sufficient number and with sufficeintly small budget.

We're pulling this together on very short notice, and I'm extremely impressed with how hard everyone's working and with the results so far. So! What we need are volunteers - perhaps from our potential mentor pool? Perhaps from those coming in? - to do the visual character design workshop, the power design/play style workshop/presentation, and the presentations on "our three worlds in one" and the timeline of CoH (focusing particularly on the events that have sparked this movement).

((I confess, I'm not sure what you mean by "three worlds in one," QH.))

QuantumHero

• Elite Boss
« Reply #105 on: October 09, 2012, 07:52:06 PM »
Three worlds in one-paragon city, rogue isles, praetoria...all of which do have different starting xperiances.

Forgot to mention workshop/ presentation on AE, bases, ouroboros, side-switching, patron arcs...incarnate system, seasonal events.

I was thinking of a table/booth in the main/enterance area for part of this...if we are going to bea bit remote from the main con...is that do-able?

Is there anything stopping us from putting up some kind o temporay dividers to seperat the room into 2 or 3 sections if we want to?   I know its one room so actual sound proofing is impossible but personally I really like the idea of vaguely organized stations or sections that we can dedicate to each major purpose.  Whether any kind if dividers/temp walls are available,segev?

Security...this is a potential problem we are going to have an issue if electronics go missing or are damaged.  Be this in a shared hotel room or our event room, same with coats, drawings, purses/wallets, etc.  Hopefully we can trust each other but there will be other people there.  Ladies I will be honest don't bring purses if you can help it, I intend to wear a fanny pack and carry it as a purse or stuff what I absolutely must keep with me in pockets.  If you bring a purse keep it on your lap do not put it s
omewhere that it can walk away.

A letter writing station might be cool.

Pages...we are either going to need a rotating schedule or else someone running for basic supplies.  Mountain Dew/energy drinks, snack food or pizza, veggie and dip, cheese and crackers...something.  Kleenex, basic first aid, supplies, cables, ice, tape, power strips, pens, batteries.

We need a video/photo taker

Do we want/need at least one point of wearing costumes?

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #106 on: October 09, 2012, 08:21:50 PM »
The convention takes place in the Havener Center, and has in the past had rooms 204-210 on the map. I can never remember which one's which by name, but the "front desk" area typically lies just north of 206 (the great big ball room). I've been told we'll likely have one of the "inner" rooms, which I think means either one half or the other of 207 or 208, or maybe 210. I honestly wouldn't be surprised at getting 210, as it's the least likely to actively disrupt other events. It has the advantage, however, of avoiding disruption from people playing Pathfinder 20 feet away!

Thinking about it more, I think Missouri/Ozark is both halves of 207. We might be able to get both.

I'll try to get more information tonight.

Like I said, it's not a large convention.

Security, at least in the convention site, will have to be handled mostly by our own vigilance. There is, obviously, campus security, but it's like any convention: you are best off monitoring your own stuff.

Now, as for a table/booth at the main entrance: I am sure Barb would love to have volunteer helpers at the front desk. If they happen to encourage people to go check out the CoH room, I doubt there'd be objections.

A rotating schedule is probably our best bet. I think we can get pizza delivered by local delivery places, but we have to go downstairs to meet them. There are also several fast food places across the street, and the Convention schedule leaves an hour between slots for lunch, and two for dinner.

That bring up our other consideration: How long do we want to schedule this for?

I'm leaning towards the 9 am and 2 pm slots, and calling it a day after that. This gives our hard-working volunteers a chance to unwind, get some dinner, and maybe play some tabletop RPG or something in the last slot after we clean up. If we really have so much that we need all three slots, that's actually pretty awesome, but it will be one heck of a long day.

The various stations will likely be best-achieved with simply setting up tables. I'm thinking putting the computers for playing along one wall, maybe the dedicated computers along another or the same. The projector obviously goes up on one dedicated space. The letter-writing station, the table with flyers and testimonials and such, will probably fill us out.

Since I know Rolla and the campus, I will likely wind up doing a lot of the running around if we need incidentals. That said, I am going to be working to recruit at least a few Gaming Association members or CoH-playing students who can also do some of that.

Whether we do a costume display/contest thing or not is a good question and depends how many people want to participate. It's a great idea if we can get the numbers. (I know I don't cosplay...though honestly, if it's as cold in Rolla as it's been here in Greenville on the 20th, I might be wearing my cloak anyway, and that's not something my signature CoV character would object to wearing.)

I'll put word in the flyer trying to get CoH people interested in showing up that costumes are permitted. I hesitate to call for an actual contest because, well, prizes cost money. ^^; But I'll see what I (or somebody cleverer than I) can think up, and maybe we can pull that one off, too.

QH, you've had some awesome ideas. I am going to do my best to make sure as many of them happen as possible! Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 10:06:49 PM by Segev »

QuantumHero

• Elite Boss
« Reply #107 on: October 09, 2012, 09:44:21 PM »
As far as costumes I was thinking photo Op or short skit rather then contest.  Maybe our very own virtual torch vigil?

I won't be able to bring much (my probable train allows only carry-on luggage) but I do own speakers, power strips, lan cable, a laptop, and. Fair amount of audio stuff..the problem is 90% of my life being in storage right now and how much I can actually bring.

Do we have access to a small handcart to shlep stuff as well

Does anyone have a decent kareoke system...we could use it for audio if needed.

We are going to want music playing...maybe from our videos maybe one of our paragon radio stations.  We also may want some sort o entertainment.

I'd like to at least allow gameplay the entire day...because of extra life...maybe we can be a convention team...and at least get a cumulative 24 hours from the entire group.  We need to make extra life part of this and try to put in at least a reasonable token showing for this section of team coh.

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #108 on: October 11, 2012, 06:17:14 PM »
Hello again, everyone! I know we have a number of volunteers to mentor and a generous outpouring of accounts for loan to our guests, but now we need to make some declarations of who's participating how. In particular, who'll be at CogCon in Rolla, and who'll be logging in remotely?

I know I will be physically there, and I'm working on recruiting local students to help out. QuantumHero is the only person on here whose made serious noise about also showing up physically, and I know her concerns are partially financial, so the more who're coming, the better she can afford to.

That is not to say I am ungrateful if you are going to participate virtually! The virtual presence is very important as well. But we're to the point where we need to have at least a rough idea of who's planning to show up physically so that we can make arrangements for hotel rooms and transport to Rolla. St. Louis is the best city to train or fly to, to my knowledge, if only because I know I have a vehicle if you are arriving early enough on Friday to ride in with me. (I'm planning to head down early Friday afternoon, probably leaving about 12:30 or 1 pm, but it's flexible.)

The other order of business: QH has listed several excellent ideas for events we can run, in the form of workshops, demos, discussions, etc. Who amongst our mentor volunteers (or anybody else) would be interested in taking the lead on what, if anything, amongst those? We will make certain to have speakers and video-projection capability, so physical presence is not required to lead or present anything. We'll make sure to coordinate times once we know who's willing and able to do what. We also will need a skilled in-game videographer and somebody on site who is comfortable shooting video, so we have records of the event to give out to any interested parties who might want to display it.

Thanks again to all of you for your help with this project. I'm really looking forward to it, and I expect we'll get some Con visitors wandering by to see what's up, too.

IN SUMMARY!

• Please state planning to attend CogCon physically for this event. We'll be organizing any car pooling and hotel room sharing! If you're going to attend virtually, mentioning that is also appreciated just to aid in head-counting.
  • If any of the events QH has suggested - or you have any you can think of yourselves - interest you enough to run, please speak up and volunteer.
  • We also need to make sure we get video records of the event for later archival and distribution purposes. Volunteers on this front are sought.

QuantumHero

• Elite Boss
« Reply #109 on: October 11, 2012, 10:27:26 PM »
I'm going to put all the cards on the table folks.

My starting point is the chicago,illinois area.

My options are driving or train unless a magically cheap flight appears.

I have a car and am willing to drive but not all the way both ways in the space of one weekend.

I am also willing to take a train with somone or myself (I wish my husband could go but he will be working) I will need to leave after work on Friday (although I'm try to arrange an earlyier departure from the office) so by the time I get to Saint Louis I really, really, really do not want to be a woman alone.  I'm tough and independant folks but there is such a thing as basic safety.  IAnd if anyone has ever teamed with me on some of the more confusing maps, I'm more then a little nervous about geting lost on the way out of saint louis.

Then there is Rolla itself I need to sleep *somewhere* and I do not mean a park bench.  Now I have done plenty of camping so I can sleep almost anywhere as long as it is a safe place.   I need to know if this will be a female only room or a mutual crash space with an area for the gals that cntains more then just me.

My brother, his wife and infant children just moved to Missouri they can not travel to the con butwould meet me in Jeff City on the way back...I would like to do this if I can.

As for events if needed I can probably throw together a speach in about an hour or so but a bit more warning would be nice :)  I am very high energy if I don't burn it all geting to Rolla and trainedin public speaking :)  My budget for this adenture is 150-200 dollars which is money I proably should not b spending right now but this is important to all of us.

We NEED people...at this con and we need media folks also....Segev hasben working very hard to pull this off.  I'll be honest Rolla, MO is not my first choice for a media day location BUT everything we film will be part of a larger presentation t help this effort, every resourse can be shlepped to the next con or event...even if we think of this as a practice run we need to make a big showing.

So who is from the midwest

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #110 on: October 11, 2012, 10:51:30 PM »
Does the train go through Jeff City? If so, that might be an alternate location for people to meet. St. Louis is practically on the other side of Rolla from Jeff City. (Well, really, they form a sort of triangle, but if you've already gone out to Jeff City, St. Louis is out of the way to get to Rolla, and vice-versa.)

I am going to send out another round of press releases/invitations to news agencies. I think I may have failed to make it clear I would like RSVPs in the one I vetted past this thread before. We DID see it reposted on at least one blog, which is something...but I am going to get more than that if it is at all within my power to do so.

While I'd like to be in Rolla before 5 pm, if I'm QH's ride that won't be possible, it sounds like. Who else is in the area/driving through St. Louis (or possibly Jeff City)?

Hotels...I will look up the addresses for the ones in Rolla and post their URLs here tonight. Sorry I hadn't done that yet. ^^;

Prexx

• Underling
« Reply #111 on: October 12, 2012, 12:13:23 AM »
Unfortunately, I cannot physically attend the convention.  The drive is 14 hours one way and that is a bit too much for me to pull off and still be of any use.  How are we going to handle the virtual side of things?  If possible, I will help out on that front.  Right now I do not have any way to stream video from my computer or run a team speak server, but if someone can point me in the right direction, I can get it set up by the 20th.  At the very least, I can still offer my free account.

Is there a plan for what will be going on, aside from demos?

Moonfyire101

• Elite Boss
« Reply #112 on: October 12, 2012, 12:34:19 AM »
i can possably offer an account for the day, it is only premium though

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #113 on: October 12, 2012, 02:53:02 AM »
Anything helps.

Virtual side, we'll need... me to go back through the thread and see what suggestions we had. I hesitate to use Skype, because it's awfully resource-intensive these days, but it IS the one with which I'm most familiar.

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #114 on: October 12, 2012, 03:42:04 AM »
The three hotels I found under $100/night are: Holiday Inn Express, Quality Inn, and Drury Inn.

Drury is the most expensive at $95/night, and Quality is the least at $65/night. Holiday Inn Express is $85/night. At least, these were the prices as I checked tonight.

There was one other at $105/night, but I figured that was just pushing out of people's price range.

Of these, two of them are along a stretch of Highway 44 that is "hotel row," effectively. They're not bad, and are maybe 10 min. from the Con site by car. Drury Inn (the $95 one) is the only one I've seen personally on the inside; it looked clean and well maintained. I haven't stayed at any of them. Drury is closer to the con site, maybe 3-5 min. away, and not too bad to walk from. Warning on Drury: it is two stories and has no elevator; the 1st floor rooms are $100/night.

I will look for more if people want, but that should give you a rough idea of what costs are looking like. Each of these were for a room with two double beds.

SithRose

• Plan Z: Lore Lead
  • Elite Boss
  • The Phoenix is coming.
    • Missing Worlds Media - Plan Z: The Phoenix Project
« Reply #115 on: October 12, 2012, 06:54:49 AM »
If nothing else I can pull up city maps and give you explicit directions that avoid the unsavory areas of town as much as possible on your way out of the city.

I can't promise anything else, but I lived in St. Louis for 8 years - I know the area pretty well. Also, check your messages.
Lore Lead for Plan Z: The Phoenix Project
Secretary of Missing Worlds Media, Inc.

QuantumHero

• Elite Boss
« Reply #116 on: October 12, 2012, 01:37:04 PM »
Messages checked :) Thank you and I hope you are still willing when you read my probable time

SithRose

• Plan Z: Lore Lead
  • Elite Boss
  • The Phoenix is coming.
    • Missing Worlds Media - Plan Z: The Phoenix Project
« Reply #117 on: October 12, 2012, 06:36:49 PM »
Segev: VERY IMPORTANT NOTE.

KEYBINDINGS.

Make absolutely sure that your donor accounts have their characters set to the DEFAULT keybindings! This occurred to me last night, when I realized that I'll need to transfer influence over and respec the high-30s Brute on my second account - She is unplayable unless you know how my keybindings are set up. I can temporarily reset her to the default keybinds without much trouble, but many people who use extensive keybinds aren't going to think of needing to DO that. *I* have my keybinds saved to files on my hard drive and backed up elsewhere - Not everyone thinks to do that, which means if you overwrite their keybinds, they'll be *gone*.

Make sure account donors are aware of this. The command is /bindsavefile c:\filedirectory\filename.txt for saving them.
Lore Lead for Plan Z: The Phoenix Project
Secretary of Missing Worlds Media, Inc.

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #118 on: October 12, 2012, 06:39:34 PM »
Thanks for that note, SithRose; I never would have thought of that, myself. ^^;

Hopefully they'll see it in here; when I contact them directly, I'll make doubly sure, though.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #119 on: October 12, 2012, 06:47:40 PM »
Well, how 'bout that... just remembered I had extra free accounts, one that I made by accident when I didn't understand how to add CoV to my account, and another trial account that I made to make a special toon just for a couple days because I was out of server slots on my main one.