Author Topic: State of the Titan  (Read 106849 times)

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
Re: State of the Titan
« Reply #120 on: September 25, 2012, 02:10:09 AM »
Cende, I second what Segev said; contact the Paragon Studios management right away. Two groups competing will only hurt as the price climbs due to a bidding war. Working together, we can do this.

If you're serious, yes, please, contact the other group as soon as possible!
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

Heavy Ion

• Minion
« Reply #121 on: September 25, 2012, 02:40:32 AM »
Cende, I second what Segev said; contact the Paragon Studios management right away. Two groups competing will only hurt as the price climbs due to a bidding war. Working together, we can do this.

Maybe these two supergroups can form a coalition.   ;)

Golden Girl

• One Liners and Winky Faces
  • Elite Boss
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #122 on: September 25, 2012, 03:31:29 AM »
Rival bids could also make NCSoft decide to hang onto the IP for future use.
"Heroes and Villains" website - http://www.heroes-and-villains.com
"Heroes and Villains" on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
"Heroes and Villains" on Twitter - https://twitter.com/Plan_Z_Studios
"Heroes and Villains" teaser trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnjKqNPfFv8
Artwork - http://goldengirlcoh.deviantart.com

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #123 on: September 25, 2012, 03:58:08 AM »
I'm not going into details, because I can't - it's business, and that's how it works, however, here's a small surprise.

In late August / early September, I started pulling the numbers for NCSoft, specifically focusing on Paragon Studios. The intent was to form a plan so that in early 2013, I could approach NCSoft about buying out Paragon Studios. It's something I'd been thinking of doing for a while; apparently I should have started a little earlier!

Obviously, things got a little rushed here. I'm not pleased in the least, because it's damn difficult to make your case when you don't look as professional as you need to. However, that being said - my company (as in, the one I own) HAS approached NCSoft with an offer to open negotiations. We did so about a week and change ago.

So far, they're not talking to us. This could be because they're not talking to anyone (outside of the former Paragon management); it could be because they're not taking us seriously (a real possibility, we're very new); it could be for any number of reasons. I don't know. However, people can be aware that there IS a small (extremely small) studio that's making the attempt, and we're going to keep trying until we get something official out of them.
*just saw this*

Thanks for sharing.  I am hoping this works out.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #124 on: September 25, 2012, 04:39:17 AM »
My question would be: did the Justice Department slap him with some kind of ban after the stupidity over the "Hackers" expansion for GURPS? Is he allowed to produce or distribute computer products? Otherwise, though he may not have the resources himself, would he be another link in the chain to finding or accumulating backers? (Apologies for how coldly analytical that sounds.)

The EF Foundation successfully defended him with no bans or penalties, and in fact IIRC, he got a monetary judgement against the Justice Department.

I can't say on the rest, I haven't been directly in touch with him for a couple years.  If anyone has a more recent contact they should pursue it.  My Secret Guy is probably way more in touch with these things than Steve.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #125 on: September 25, 2012, 04:59:58 AM »
I'd heard about the "hacker" incident, but am glad to hear that not only was he wholly cleared of any wrongdoing, but that he might have gotten some compensation for the losses he doubtless suffered. I can only hope it was enough to be commensurate.

I am waiting on feedback from one of my own avenues right now; I make no promises, as ever, but I hope to hear back tomorrow.

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!
« Reply #126 on: September 25, 2012, 09:57:21 AM »
I'm not going into details, because I can't - it's business, and that's how it works, however, here's a small surprise.

In late August / early September, I started pulling the numbers for NCSoft, specifically focusing on Paragon Studios. The intent was to form a plan so that in early 2013, I could approach NCSoft about buying out Paragon Studios. It's something I'd been thinking of doing for a while; apparently I should have started a little earlier!

Obviously, things got a little rushed here. I'm not pleased in the least, because it's damn difficult to make your case when you don't look as professional as you need to. However, that being said - my company (as in, the one I own) HAS approached NCSoft with an offer to open negotiations. We did so about a week and change ago.

So far, they're not talking to us. This could be because they're not talking to anyone (outside of the former Paragon management); it could be because they're not taking us seriously (a real possibility, we're very new); it could be for any number of reasons. I don't know. However, people can be aware that there IS a small (extremely small) studio that's making the attempt, and we're going to keep trying until we get something official out of them.
That's great news! Now hopefully NCsoft will be reasonable and your company (and Paragon Studios?) can come to some kind of deal! :D

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
« Reply #127 on: September 25, 2012, 01:03:33 PM »
Dear TonyV and everyone, THANKS!!!   Part of my own (small) ongoing effort is posting links to these forums on guildportal SG webpages, since I notice some of the veteran players who no longer log into CoH, still check our sgwebsite for info, hoping for good news (and otherwise debating the pro's and con's of various other MMOs).  Once again, the CoH Community has impressed me.  Looking forward to the next Player Rally!  I don't know that they'll make a difference to business negotiations, but they're good for player morale.  Each day that I log into City of Heroes, I'm asked at least once (or see on the global chat) that people are hungry for more information and sometimes want to know if there's anything more we can do.
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
« Reply #128 on: September 25, 2012, 01:18:46 PM »
It is easy to feel defeated. But no one is ever defeated until they give up.

I am Blaster! No matter how many times I may fall in battle, I will pop my tray of rez, I will use Rise of the Phoenix, I will hit the hospital, until the battle is won!

LOL!  That made my day, Downix!  The Blaster archetype certainly teaches perseverance.  :-)   And don't leave out Buffing up at the Base using Empowerment Stations and raiding the Inspiration Chests!

More seriously, but just as inspiring was reading the posts by those with expertise in areas ranging from business/financial/entrepreneurship to IT/MMO animation.  Thank you!
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #129 on: September 25, 2012, 03:15:16 PM »

So, does "They're not talking to us" mean, they don't want to negotiate, or they haven't even given you the courtesy of a, "Go away and leave us alone" ?

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #130 on: September 25, 2012, 03:24:14 PM »
The latter, from the tone of the post and the general practice people have seen out of NCSoft. They're hunkering down and hoping this goes away. They are apparently talking to Paragon Studios, as we're hearing that negotiations are ongoing with them. Anybody who has a serious business proposal to help out is more likely to have success by approaching Paragon for information about how they can help/get involved.

frostcoh

• Minion
« Reply #131 on: September 25, 2012, 03:33:36 PM »
The latter, from the tone of the post and the general practice people have seen out of NCSoft. They're hunkering down and hoping this goes away. They are apparently talking to Paragon Studios, as we're hearing that negotiations are ongoing with them. Anybody who has a serious business proposal to help out is more likely to have success by approaching Paragon for information about how they can help/get involved.

A united front makes sense, however I'm not sure if @ncsoft is thinking logically or still in panic mode.

Viking

• Underling
« Reply #132 on: September 25, 2012, 03:37:49 PM »

Saw this now I hope both paragon and Cende can get together and make a good offer to NCsoft.

Lucretia MacEvil

« Reply #133 on: September 25, 2012, 04:10:34 PM »
Saw this now I hope both paragon and Cende can get together and make a good offer to NCsoft.

Seconded.

Shadowe

• Boss
  • Just don't tell Manticore...
« Reply #134 on: September 25, 2012, 04:16:38 PM »
Another voice in favour of investigating via Paragon Studios' management rather than directly with NCsoft, whether as some sort of partnership or just for ways to make yourselves heard, Cende. The real question is whether you'd want your company to be intimately involved in CoH or act as a backer for PS. If the former, I suspect there would be delight all around. Of course, we know nothing about the nature of your business, so we can only speculate, but this is truly excellent news.
The wisdom of Shadowe: Ghostraptor: The Shadowe is wise ...; FFM: Shadowe is no longer wise. ; Techbot_Alpha: Also, what Shadowe said. It seems he is still somewhat wise ; Bull Throttle: Shadowe was unwise in this instance...; Rock_Powerfist: in this instance Shadowe is wise.; Techbot_Alpha: Shadowe is very wise *nods*; Zortel: *Quotable line about Shadowe being wise goes here.* FFM: I think you're mostly wise in this instance, apart from one part.

Golden Girl

• One Liners and Winky Faces
  • Elite Boss
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #135 on: September 25, 2012, 04:26:11 PM »
More financial backers for Paragon Studios could also help to encourage other backers to come forwards or commit more.
"Heroes and Villains" website - http://www.heroes-and-villains.com
"Heroes and Villains" on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
"Heroes and Villains" on Twitter - https://twitter.com/Plan_Z_Studios
"Heroes and Villains" teaser trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnjKqNPfFv8
Artwork - http://goldengirlcoh.deviantart.com

TinFoil

• Minion
« Reply #136 on: September 25, 2012, 04:30:27 PM »
Reverse Engineering the game isn't about saving the community or playing for free in my eyes, it's about preserving the hard work and dedication of those who've worked on the game and the experiences the game provided.  There's no DOSbox or emulation for MMOs... when they die, they die forever. No loading it up to show your future kids where we came from, no passing any of the experiences down for others to learn about, nothing more than a couple movies and a few screen shots. When an MMO dies, it is basically erased from history.

Quick personal story... at my last family gathering we had access to a handful of emulators hooked into the main television. Through random conversation, my older brother recalled playing Smurfs on the ColecoVision. We loaded the game up and had a blast. Four generations sitting in a room laughing hysterically at a Smurf getting killed by a tuff of grass. I want that possibility for City of Heroes. To talk about my valiant Hero and how he lead his team down into the sewers to battle evil foes.

I support all the efforts of the Titan Network. I hope the game can be saved for many, many years. Sometimes though, you need a Vigilante to do a Hero's work.

Stormsurge

• Minion
« Reply #137 on: September 25, 2012, 04:40:36 PM »
I am just a player, with a minimal income and large bills. So either way, I can't help you with any of these things.

But I can support the Titan Network. And I can support the City of Heroes Community. This can be done by simply sticking together. When the official forums go down, when the servers do close, let this be the official place for the City of Heroes community until such time when the game is reopened.  I have no doubt in my mind that it can and will be done.

Cende

• Underling
« Reply #138 on: September 25, 2012, 05:27:23 PM »
As far as what they've told me, no I haven't even heard as much as "Not interested, go away." Still working.

Regarding bidding wars or supporting Paragon, obviously I can't say much here, but let me say what I can as simply as possible so as not to be misconstrued:

a) I have no intention of getting into a bidding war with Paragon or anyone else. For one thing it's not good for the game, for another, I can't afford it.

b) Money is really complicated. Please don't ask about it.

b) If Paragon* is in closed negotiations with NCSoft, they may not be allowed to talk to me, and I don't want to corner them. I also don't know what they need. However, I'm more than happy to work out an agreement between whatever is left of Paragon and my own group. I don't presently have any way of contacting them, since all the email addresses *I* had for them ended in @paragon.com - and they're not checking those anymore for some reason.  (Edit: That "for some reason" is ever so gentle sarcasm.)

*Paragon is, as I am using it here, the term for Brian and whatever's left of the management group that's currently in whatever negotiations that are happening with NCSoft. Is that the term in use generally?

Edit, about 2 hours later: I should really check my messages before posting.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 07:42:17 PM by Cende »

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #139 on: September 25, 2012, 06:23:41 PM »
As far as what they've told me, no I haven't even heard as much as "Not interested, go away." Still working.

Regarding bidding wars or supporting Paragon, obviously I can't say much here, but let me say what I can as simply as possible so as not to be misconstrued:

a) I have no intention of getting into a bidding war with Paragon or anyone else. For one thing it's not good for the game, for another, I can't afford it.

b) Money is really complicated. Please don't ask about it.

b) If Paragon* is in closed negotiations with NCSoft, they may not be allowed to talk to me, and I don't want to corner them. I also don't know what they need. However, I'm more than happy to work out an agreement between whatever is left of Paragon and my own group. I don't presently have any way of contacting them, since all the email addresses *I* had for them ended in @paragon.com - and they're not checking those anymore for some reason. 

*Paragon is, as I am using it here, the term for Brian and whatever's left of the management group that's currently in whatever negotiations that are happening with NCSoft. Is that the term in use generally?

They lost access to those addresses when the studio was shut down.
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV