Author Topic: State of the Titan  (Read 106875 times)

Manga

• Elite Boss
Re: State of the Titan
« Reply #100 on: September 24, 2012, 05:45:31 AM »

Go for it VV, I for one am hoping it makes all the difference.

I'm going to try one more approach to Dr. Yoon at NCSoft to try and bridge the gap of understanding that seems to exist.  I am going to show her that this is not just "a game" but an ongoing exercise in improvisational theatrics, and is a whole lot like K-Dramas (한국드라마) (otherwise known as "Korean Soap-operas").  My goal is going to be to get NCSoft to understand why we are making all this fuss, and hopefully persuade them that as a work of ongoing art--and we can argue how"artistic" all that RP and so on is some other time--it is laudable of them to take their claws out of it and release their death-grip on the IP be willing to sell it to some other party interested in bringing it back to life.

Wish me luck.

The-Hunter-JLJ

• Bug Hunter
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #101 on: September 24, 2012, 05:48:38 AM »
I'm going to try one more approach to Dr. Yoon at NCSoft to try and bridge the gap of understanding that seems to exist.  I am going to show her that this is not just "a game" but an ongoing exercise in improvisational theatrics, and is a whole lot like K-Dramas (한국드라마) (otherwise known as "Korean Soap-operas").  My goal is going to be to get NCSoft to understand why we are making all this fuss, and hopefully persuade them that as a work of ongoing art--and we can argue how"artistic" all that RP and so on is some other time--it is laudable of them to take their claws out of it and release their death-grip on the IP be willing to sell it to some other party interested in bringing it back to life.

Wish me luck.

I'm thinking "break a leg" is more appropriate. (lol) Knock 'em dead.

Globetrotter

• Boss
  • I am a still Hero and This is what I do!
« Reply #102 on: September 24, 2012, 06:37:24 AM »

Wish me luck.

sends a bouquet of four clovers!
Gutta cavat lapidem, non vi, sed saepe cadendo.

StarRanger4

• Boss
« Reply #103 on: September 24, 2012, 06:45:54 AM »

Wish me luck.

*Suddenly tears up*

Kerowyn, Kerowyn, where are you going...

Ahem.  I may not have VV's chops at writing, my creatvive Vectors are strongest along the lines of CGI modeling software like Blender, but if they would be of aid when the time comes, to this I will lend my sword, my sacred honor, etc.

Cinnder

• Boss
« Reply #104 on: September 24, 2012, 08:05:45 AM »

Wish me luck.

I posted this on another thread, but it seemed so relevant to this that I thought I'd put it here as well, in case it helps you in your efforts, VV...

Last week I visited an exhibit on video games at the Smithsonian's American Art Museum in DC.  The very first placard had this to say:

Three Voices
Artist, Game, Player

Video games combine graphics, sound,
story, and interaction to create meaningful
and immersive experiences.  Imaginative
artists and designers use this medium to
create worlds and tell stories.  None of this
is possible, however, without the participation
of the player.  Everyone who plays a game
puts a little of themselves into the experience,
and takes away something that is wholly unique.
The conversation among the game, the artist,
and the player is critical to understanding video
games as art.

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #105 on: September 24, 2012, 12:30:58 PM »
Long.... long shot in the dark, but I work with people that have the funds we need. I would need to know one thing before i even thought to approach any of them. What are the actual numbers? By that I'm asking how much did City of Heroes make and cost to run per quarter for the last few years. Truthfully, this is what any investor is going to need to know before taking the first step. These people are not fans. They don't love the game like we do. They are happy to put up money if it gets them a return on their investment. Yes they will take risks and this is a risk.

So if someone has that information please e-mail me at chuckvick44@hotmail.com. I don't want guesses. I don't want what Ncsoft made annually. Just what the game makes and costs. Please include the source of the information.

After I get these I will talk to my co-workers.

Thanks
These are, in fact, the numbers I'm trying to gather. My own approach will be to first talk to the potential investor and get permission to ask in their name, because I think that will work better. It is probably equally long a shot. So I wish you luck, good sir.

The-Hunter-JLJ

• Bug Hunter
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #106 on: September 24, 2012, 01:12:39 PM »
*Suddenly tears up*

Kerowyn, Kerowyn, where are you going...

Ah, my favorite version, too. (grin) That Velgarth place has certainly inspired a lotta great music, hasn't it?

StarRanger4

• Boss
« Reply #107 on: September 24, 2012, 02:33:16 PM »
Ah, my favorite version, too. (grin) That Velgarth place has certainly inspired a lotta great music, hasn't it?

;D

SithRose

• Plan Z: Lore Lead
  • Elite Boss
  • The Phoenix is coming.
    • Missing Worlds Media - Plan Z: The Phoenix Project
« Reply #108 on: September 24, 2012, 03:47:26 PM »
I'm cross-posting this from Star Power. It was brought up in the Sunset forums, and I thought it should be mentioned here as part of trying to save COH *first*.

Steve Jackson Games has a very good reputation in the pen and paper gaming industry. They're also a company that keeps products going WELL past their sell-by date. I don't suppose that folks might have contacts with them to discuss possible acquisition of the COH IP and/or potential funding of Plan Z should it come to that? Especially if we can say "Look, this is what we can offer, this is what the game can do for you, we're willing to get product placement in the game for you, can you help us save City of Heroes?"

There is HUGE potential for SJG product placement in COH. Between the books, the CCGs (Munchkin games at the university!!!), and everything else....it may well be an avenue worth exploring. *I* don't have the contacts for that, but perhaps someone here does?
Lore Lead for Plan Z: The Phoenix Project
Secretary of Missing Worlds Media, Inc.

The-Hunter-JLJ

• Bug Hunter
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #109 on: September 24, 2012, 04:29:40 PM »
Err. You are right, SJG would be a natural fit. Unless he's changed immensely, there's probably an email address listed for him on their website, and he very likely answers it himself. The problem would be, I think you're vastly overestimating the potential for expansion they'd have. Well worth following up to see if I am right, if someone actually has direct contacts with him. Just don't get your hopes up; the traditional gaming industry is not exactly a cash cow outside of maybe Wizards of the Coast.

SithRose

• Plan Z: Lore Lead
  • Elite Boss
  • The Phoenix is coming.
    • Missing Worlds Media - Plan Z: The Phoenix Project
« Reply #110 on: September 24, 2012, 04:58:21 PM »
Err. You are right, SJG would be a natural fit. Unless he's changed immensely, there's probably an email address listed for him on their website, and he very likely answers it himself. The problem would be, I think you're vastly overestimating the potential for expansion they'd have. Well worth following up to see if I am right, if someone actually has direct contacts with him. Just don't get your hopes up; the traditional gaming industry is not exactly a cash cow outside of maybe Wizards of the Coast.

Contacting SJG was Kheprera's idea, not mine. :) I just expanded it to see if it could be used to help save COH instead of just looking at it for Plan Z.

As far as potential for expansion...I think that would be something to discuss with them - It might be a genre they'd be willing to expand into, especially with a proven money-making product....
Lore Lead for Plan Z: The Phoenix Project
Secretary of Missing Worlds Media, Inc.

Olantern

• Elite Boss
« Reply #111 on: September 24, 2012, 05:12:00 PM »

Wish me luck.

I hope that negotiating from a principle helps in this case.  There's nothing harder than getting someone to agree to a solution that's best for everyone, especially if requires that person to give up something, so my hat (a fedora) is off to you.  Good luck; my thoughts are with you.

Golden Girl

• One Liners and Winky Faces
  • Elite Boss
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #112 on: September 24, 2012, 05:15:33 PM »
I'm also a published writer/author, and would gladly and happily contribute creative content. Heck, I'd be supremely proud to do so!

Plan Z would need a lot of writers - but it'd also need a suitable story creation tool set to let them turn their ideas into actual missions.
"Heroes and Villains" website - http://www.heroes-and-villains.com
"Heroes and Villains" on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
"Heroes and Villains" on Twitter - https://twitter.com/Plan_Z_Studios
"Heroes and Villains" teaser trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnjKqNPfFv8
Artwork - http://goldengirlcoh.deviantart.com

Kheprera

• Elite Boss
« Reply #113 on: September 24, 2012, 05:24:38 PM »
Contacting SJG was Kheprera's idea, not mine. :) I just expanded it to see if it could be used to help save COH instead of just looking at it for Plan Z.

As far as potential for expansion...I think that would be something to discuss with them - It might be a genre they'd be willing to expand into, especially with a proven money-making product....

Right now it's just an inkling of an idea I had.  Once upon a time I was in the local SCA here and Steve Jackson was the baron at the time. That is about the extent of my contact with him.  I doubt he'd remember me, personally, at all, as it has been about 30 years.

Any proposal that is drawn up, though, must be thorough and well done and should come from someone with a little more clout and business sense (of which I have very little).  I've been wracking my brain trying to come up with something, some force that could lend additional support to our side.  Ms. Lackey is a huge name, and her willingness to leverage her name to help us is so tremendously appreciated I cannot begin to express my gratitude.  My respect for her has skyrocketed into the stratosphere.

Adding SJG with her endorsement, if it can be done, may be a way for us to find the backing.

Another idea I had was Reaper Miniatures.  I have a good relationship with them and can approach Ed Poole with the idea.  Many Reaperites play or have played CoH, and if they can get a license to produce a line of minis... hitting the PnPRPG market can't hurt us.

Manga

• Elite Boss
« Reply #114 on: September 24, 2012, 05:38:59 PM »
Another idea I had was Reaper Miniatures.  I have a good relationship with them and can approach Ed Poole with the idea.  Many Reaperites play or have played CoH, and if they can get a license to produce a line of minis... hitting the PnPRPG market can't hurt us.

That's actually a brilliant idea.  Remember, if CoH can achieve independence it's also going to need to maintain profitability.  Ideas like that could help that along.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #115 on: September 24, 2012, 11:00:19 PM »
Steve is a pretty good friend of mine.  My question would be if he could afford this.  The days when PandP gaming was a cash cow are long over....options for the rights to big literary properties for PandP gaming used to be in the high 5 and low 6 figures...now they are in the low 4 figures.

Still, if he wants to take it on he would have my assurance that I would pimp the hell out of it.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Cende

• Underling
« Reply #116 on: September 25, 2012, 12:59:37 AM »
I'm not going into details, because I can't - it's business, and that's how it works, however, here's a small surprise.

In late August / early September, I started pulling the numbers for NCSoft, specifically focusing on Paragon Studios. The intent was to form a plan so that in early 2013, I could approach NCSoft about buying out Paragon Studios. It's something I'd been thinking of doing for a while; apparently I should have started a little earlier!

Obviously, things got a little rushed here. I'm not pleased in the least, because it's damn difficult to make your case when you don't look as professional as you need to. However, that being said - my company (as in, the one I own) HAS approached NCSoft with an offer to open negotiations. We did so about a week and change ago.

So far, they're not talking to us. This could be because they're not talking to anyone (outside of the former Paragon management); it could be because they're not taking us seriously (a real possibility, we're very new); it could be for any number of reasons. I don't know. However, people can be aware that there IS a small (extremely small) studio that's making the attempt, and we're going to keep trying until we get something official out of them.

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #117 on: September 25, 2012, 01:06:22 AM »
If you have the funds to make a serious bid, approaching the former Paragon Studios leadership might be more fruitful than approaching NCSoft. They may well appreciate a partner, depending on how the negotiations are going.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #118 on: September 25, 2012, 01:44:50 AM »
Steve is a pretty good friend of mine.  My question would be if he could afford this.  The days when PandP gaming was a cash cow are long over....options for the rights to big literary properties for PandP gaming used to be in the high 5 and low 6 figures...now they are in the low 4 figures.

Still, if he wants to take it on he would have my assurance that I would pimp the hell out of it.

My question would be: did the Justice Department slap him with some kind of ban after the stupidity over the "Hackers" expansion for GURPS? Is he allowed to produce or distribute computer products? Otherwise, though he may not have the resources himself, would he be another link in the chain to finding or accumulating backers? (Apologies for how coldly analytical that sounds.)
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #119 on: September 25, 2012, 02:06:46 AM »
Cende, I second what Segev said; contact the Paragon Studios management right away. Two groups competing will only hurt as the price climbs due to a bidding war. Working together, we can do this.