Author Topic: NCSoft Stockwatch  (Read 714668 times)

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
Re: NCSoft Stockwatch
« Reply #420 on: December 02, 2012, 05:28:38 PM »
I don't recall seeing this brought up, but there was a blurb in a short Bloomberg article from the beginning of November that was about major Korean companies. It's really more a list of stats, but in the middle of it is a fragment about NCSoft citing their Q3 earnings.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-11-08/correct-south-korean-equity-movers-nhn-gs-hyundai-ncsoft.html
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

eviella

• Minion
« Reply #421 on: December 02, 2012, 08:45:29 PM »
There are days in Seattle where the weather suits a barbeque?  Or is this a localized version of "a cold day in hell" :)

Late spring and summer in the Seattle area is almost always beautiful.  We just don't advertise it much, and the rainy winters keep a lot of people away. 

Mistress Urd

• Elite Boss
« Reply #422 on: December 02, 2012, 09:35:41 PM »
Y'know, I am kicking myself for not demoediting a mayhem mission and changing the artwork on the front of the bank to the NCsoft corporate logo, and then having an 8-man MM team with full pets just go swarming through the place like a plague of Egypt.

BTW - the day that NCsoft files for bankruptcy, I'm hosting a barbecue here in Seattle.

Michelle
aka
Samuraiko/Dark_Respite

One of many BBQ happening that day.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #423 on: December 02, 2012, 09:37:11 PM »
Late spring and summer in the Seattle area is almost always beautiful.  We just don't advertise it much, and the rainy winters keep a lot of people away.

Don't want dirty tourists coming in and mucking it up? Bad enough with all the sailors over in Bremerton? ;)
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #424 on: December 02, 2012, 10:10:14 PM »
Can't wait till Monday to see how badly the stock bombs now.
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

Tubbius

• Fun Title
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #425 on: December 02, 2012, 10:16:38 PM »
Ooooooo.  That's tomorrow.  :o

Technerdoc

• Lieutenant
« Reply #426 on: December 02, 2012, 10:45:34 PM »
Maybe it's going up now...  ???

chaparralshrub

• Elite Boss
« Reply #427 on: December 02, 2012, 10:51:14 PM »
Well, NCSoft knows what they can do that will completely silence all of this bad press they're going.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #428 on: December 02, 2012, 10:54:51 PM »
Um. Yeah, the KRX actually opens in an hour. This might be a good night. I'll have to run for more beer, I think. Something snooty, like Stella Artois or something else I can't pronounce.

epawtows

• Elite Boss
  • Mechanical Engineer
« Reply #429 on: December 02, 2012, 10:57:30 PM »
I'll bring the desserts

I've been told that I bake a mean cheesecake.  Will be happy to bring it. 

When it gets closer to Easter, we should think about a meet-up at Norwescon. 

Globetrotter

• Boss
  • I am a still Hero and This is what I do!
« Reply #430 on: December 02, 2012, 11:00:37 PM »
Um. Yeah, the KRX actually opens in an hour. This might be a good night. I'll have to run for more beer, I think. Something snooty, like Stella Artois or something else I can't pronounce.

Take something stgronger and unpronounceable http://www.alliantie-van-biertapperijen.nl/bier.php?p=228  8)
Gutta cavat lapidem, non vi, sed saepe cadendo.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #431 on: December 02, 2012, 11:21:26 PM »
I think that's illegal, here. :)

Tubbius

• Fun Title
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #432 on: December 02, 2012, 11:37:18 PM »
Looks like the stock thingy on page 21 is updated to show stuff for December 3.

Well, let's watch and see, I guess.

srmalloy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #433 on: December 03, 2012, 12:46:36 AM »
Well, NCSoft knows what they can do that will completely silence all of this bad press they're going.

I don't think it would stop all the bad press. It would slow the flood of bad press they've been getting, but I don't think that simply coughing up the game is going to make us all forget -- much less forgive -- what they did. I expect that we would continue to see people spreading the word that NCSoft considers you -- and the rest of its customers -- a fungible commodity with an infinite supply, so they are free to do whatever they want to you, and you can just suck it up. That's why I didn't bother with any sort of expression of my disappointment with Aion when I quit playing it; I was certain that the corporate attitude would be 'bye, there are thousands more to take your place'.

[[EDIT: Fixing flubbed bbcode ~Agge]]
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 02:30:07 AM by Aggelakis »

Tubbius

• Fun Title
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #434 on: December 03, 2012, 01:13:05 AM »
The green. . . it slowly climbs.  :|

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #435 on: December 03, 2012, 01:35:47 AM »
I don't think it would stop all the bad press. It would slow the flood of bad press they've been getting, but I don't think that simply coughing up the game is going to make us all forget -- much less forgive -- what they did. I expect that we would continue to see people spreading the word that NCSoft considers you -- and the rest of its customers -- a fungible commodity with an infinite supply, so they are free to do whatever they want to you, and you can just suck it up. That's why I didn't bother with any sort of expression of my disappointment with Aion when I quit playing it; I was certain that the corporate attitude would be 'bye, there are thousands more to take your place'.

I have this urge to keep nudging you with my elbow whilst going "shhhhhh" louder and louder.

[[EDIT: Fixing flubbed bbcode in quote ~Agge]]
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 02:30:33 AM by Aggelakis »
Woo! - Argent Girl

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #436 on: December 03, 2012, 06:35:12 AM »
Honestly, I think that's a little uncalled for. Wishing unemployment on tens of thousands of employees and or depriving possibly millions of gamers just like ourselves has no moral or ethical grounds - they did us no harm.

But if the day comes when Taek Jin Kim and whoever else made and executed the decision to murder City of Heroes are dragged by their feet outside NCsoft headquarters and publicly flogged by the players of the games they buried, I'll be buying a cattle prod and an airplane ticket to Korea.

Hey, a man can dream.

I dont think anyone really wishes harm on unsuspecting employees; but lets face it, they work for a labile company becoming rather... well-known for unwise business decisions.

I'd say almost certainly they will end up losing those jobs one way or another. NCSoft is probably the kind of outfit that waits till everyone leaves the building for lunch, locks the doors and then texts everyone that they are now fired. I could TOTALLY see them doing that.

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #437 on: December 03, 2012, 07:15:01 AM »
Rumor hath it that Nexon is buying up the cheap shares.  This could get interesting if true.

Sounds like they want a controlling interest

I don't know if it's true or not, but when a stock tanks like NCsoft's has, it's actually not unusual for a company (or its investors) to start buying back stock at a higher price to make it look better than it actually is.  That could (not saying is, because I don't know) explain why they've had some positive bumps the past week after pretty steady decline.

However, it almost never works to provide long-term stability.  Either they managed to buy back most of their stock to the point where it makes them look really bad, or they run out of money to keep buying and have to stop, sending the stock plummeting again.  Some really big companies can afford to do it for a while until whatever financial hurt they're in passes, it helps to give their investors faith in the company's ability to weather storms.  If Nexon is doing it for that reason, I can't imagine that it will end any way but badly.

Or The Fifth Horseman could be right.  They could be doing it to make a play for controlling interest.  If that happens, well, I'm not sure we'll be in any better of a position that we're in now dealing with NCsoft, but it almost certainly would mean management changes and different people to be targeting for communications.

Or the opposite could happen.  If NCsoft's stock falls much more, it could spook Nexon to the point where they just want to dump their shares while they still can, cut their losses, and go their merry way.  If that happens, NCsoft has some very hard days ahead of it.

In any event, they really could have used some positive PR right now, they aren't getting it, and I really do believe that we are making a difference.

NecrotechMaster

• Elite Boss
  • is there a badge for that?
« Reply #438 on: December 03, 2012, 07:21:36 AM »
i agree, it does seem that almost any event that happens in the future timestream still ends with ncsoft getting screwed over

i think it might help them slightly if they actually negotiated a sale for the games IP and accounts, it would be the quickest way to satisfy all of us and would stop our continual spreading of bad PR (although i think most of us have gotten to the point of personal boycott of ncsoft products due to the way they handled this whole matter)

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #439 on: December 03, 2012, 09:03:15 AM »
The stock did start at +2%. Now it's at +0.3%. The bombing, it has begun.
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.