Author Topic: NCSoft Stockwatch  (Read 719806 times)

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
Re: NCSoft Stockwatch
« Reply #400 on: November 30, 2012, 07:03:33 PM »
A 2% drop in 2 days.  :D
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #401 on: November 30, 2012, 11:52:31 PM »
The redside me wants to see the stock freefall and crash to 100 won the moment they turn off the servers.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Jordan_Lee

• Lieutenant
« Reply #402 on: November 30, 2012, 11:55:18 PM »
The redside me wants to see the stock freefall and crash to 100 won the moment they turn off the servers.

Just your redside? Because my blueside is cheering that all the way.

JWBullfrog

• Elite Boss
  • I didn't leave Paragon City. They threw me out!
« Reply #403 on: December 01, 2012, 12:02:03 AM »

My inner Praetorian wishes them all good fortune... while secretly plotting to insure their utter and absolute failure.
As long as somebody keeps making up stories for it, the City isn't gone.

biomekanic

• Underling
« Reply #404 on: December 01, 2012, 03:20:10 AM »
Reading the player reviews is harsh on that GW2 event. A new game and the first try at a non Halloween event and people rack the Dev's over the coals.
Makes me think many of them would push my Granny of a sidewalk for walking slow.
( Feel better now thankyou :) )

Ok, I'll admit, I play GW2. The vast majority of my CoX friends were pre-orders for it, and I got it before the announcement.

GW2 is nice and all, but certainly not a replacement for CoX. The handling of the event was bad, and they should have learned a lot more from their Halloween event on what to do and not to do, but it certainly didn't seem that way.

Funny enough, they've just now released the ability to completely change your characters appearance, including gender. This costs 1000 "gmes", IIRC, which translates into a fair chunk of real world change; $10 will buy you 800 gmes. You can buy gems for in-game money. Right now around 1 gold piece per 100 gems... which is a lot of in-game money. You can buy a cheaper kit, to change your hair color and style, as well as eye color, for "only" 400 gems (again, IIRC).

Arenanet seems really fond of doing 1 time events during the work/school day, which appears to piss off a huge part of their player base.

KSinclaire

• Underling
    • Dear Kat, an advice column for roleplayers.
« Reply #405 on: December 01, 2012, 06:41:55 AM »
Ok, I'll admit, I play GW2. The vast majority of my CoX friends were pre-orders for it, and I got it before the announcement.

GW2 is nice and all, but certainly not a replacement for CoX. The handling of the event was bad, and they should have learned a lot more from their Halloween event on what to do and not to do, but it certainly didn't seem that way.

Funny enough, they've just now released the ability to completely change your characters appearance, including gender. This costs 1000 "gmes", IIRC, which translates into a fair chunk of real world change; $10 will buy you 800 gmes. You can buy gems for in-game money. Right now around 1 gold piece per 100 gems... which is a lot of in-game money. You can buy a cheaper kit, to change your hair color and style, as well as eye color, for "only" 400 gems (again, IIRC).

Arenanet seems really fond of doing 1 time events during the work/school day, which appears to piss off a huge part of their player base.

*nudges* It's 350 gems, actually. For the full appearance edit. Hairstyle/color by itself is 150. And you can get that with.. 3-4 gold, through currency trading. But, yes, they are rather fond of doing their events at.. inconvenient times. I actually didn't get to see any of the Lost Shores event.

NecrotechMaster

• Elite Boss
  • is there a badge for that?
« Reply #406 on: December 01, 2012, 07:24:45 PM »
i hope to see their stocks burn faster than a thermite balloon in the next few days

Quinch

« Reply #407 on: December 02, 2012, 07:38:08 AM »
i hope to see their stocks burn faster than a thermite balloon in the next few days

This may very well be the first time I'll be looking forward to Monday.

Samuraiko

• Honorary Paragon Dev and
  • Elite Boss
  • EVERYONE LOOK AWESOME - I'M FILMING!
    • The Wandering Crane
« Reply #408 on: December 02, 2012, 07:53:07 AM »
Y'know, I am kicking myself for not demoediting a mayhem mission and changing the artwork on the front of the bank to the NCsoft corporate logo, and then having an 8-man MM team with full pets just go swarming through the place like a plague of Egypt.

BTW - the day that NCsoft files for bankruptcy, I'm hosting a barbecue here in Seattle.

Michelle
aka
Samuraiko/Dark_Respite
The game may be gone, but the videos are still here...
http://www.youtube.com/samuraiko
http://cohtube.blogspot.com

Quinch

« Reply #409 on: December 02, 2012, 08:04:29 AM »
BTW - the day that NCsoft files for bankruptcy, I'm hosting a barbecue here in Seattle.

Honestly, I think that's a little uncalled for. Wishing unemployment on tens of thousands of employees and or depriving possibly millions of gamers just like ourselves has no moral or ethical grounds - they did us no harm.

But if the day comes when Taek Jin Kim and whoever else made and executed the decision to murder City of Heroes are dragged by their feet outside NCsoft headquarters and publicly flogged by the players of the games they buried, I'll be buying a cattle prod and an airplane ticket to Korea.

Hey, a man can dream.

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #410 on: December 02, 2012, 08:07:19 AM »
Y'know, I am kicking myself for not demoediting a mayhem mission and changing the artwork on the front of the bank to the NCsoft corporate logo, and then having an 8-man MM team with full pets just go swarming through the place like a plague of Egypt.

Michelle
aka
Samuraiko/Dark_Respite
I'll bring the desserts

Ichaerus

• Underling
« Reply #411 on: December 02, 2012, 08:43:13 AM »

Michelle
aka
Samuraiko/Dark_Respite

Will you allow us to show up in costume for your barbecue?  Can I bring beer for the adults, and soda or juice boxes for the kids?  ;D

Kaiser Tarantula

• Elite Boss
  • @Nerva
« Reply #412 on: December 02, 2012, 09:12:37 AM »
But if the day comes when Taek Jin Kim and whoever else made and executed the decision to murder City of Heroes are dragged by their feet outside NCsoft headquarters and publicly flogged by the players of the games they buried, I'll be buying a cattle prod and an airplane ticket to Korea.
While I can understand the sentiment, I honestly wouldn't want to wish physical harm on NCsoft publically - you know some muckraker will try to use statements like that to smear us as hateful monsters.  It's ammo for the unicorns.

However, if NCsoft fails as a company due to their own stupidity and mismanagement of their assets, I won't be shedding tears, that's for sure.  Instead, I'll be booking a plane ticket to Seattle for a wonderful barbecue.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #413 on: December 02, 2012, 09:38:03 AM »
Rumor hath it that Nexon is buying up the cheap shares.  This could get interesting if true.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Ammon

• Team Wildcard
  • Boss
  • UK marketing guy and City of Heroes addict
« Reply #414 on: December 02, 2012, 10:29:04 AM »
There are days in Seattle where the weather suits a barbeque?  Or is this a localized version of "a cold day in hell" :)

Turjan

• Elite Boss
  • You cannot kill a dream
« Reply #415 on: December 02, 2012, 11:18:52 AM »
Rumor hath it that Nexon is buying up the cheap shares.  This could get interesting if true.
What, they didn't get enough when TJKim undersold 2/3 of his stock to them? ;)

I dunno, maybe NCsoft shares are like Pringles, and now Nexon has popped, they just can't stop...or something. Personally I'd think cheap NCsoft shares would be more like a saccharin coating around a tablet of pure bitter quinine...

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #416 on: December 02, 2012, 11:23:45 AM »
Sounds like they want a controlling interest
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #417 on: December 02, 2012, 01:11:59 PM »
While it is possible for NCSoft to go bankrupt and all of the employees lose their jobs...

There are scenarios where the entire company could quite blissfully die and the workforce could be taken along with the company by another smart enough to not want to hire all new people.

Of course, people in redundant departments like admin and HR could still be affected unfortunately, but this is still something worth keeping in mind. I want NCSoft to tank as much as the next person, but I want it to do so in that way where it doesn't hurt the little guy, or the middle guy, or really anyone besides the people on top.

Unfortunately the way it usually goes is the person on top, even if damaged in a way where any of us would be up a certain creek without paddles, they have enough to still sit pretty for the rest of their lives.

How they could do what they did to Garriot and just end up throwing money at the problem bothers me a lot. Sometimes its hard not to feel like if you have money there are no consequences for even the dumbest or thoughtless of actions. Fingers crossed that I'm proven wrong :)
Woo! - Argent Girl

Jordan_Lee

• Lieutenant
« Reply #418 on: December 02, 2012, 03:40:39 PM »

New conspiracy theory? Nexon takes a good chunk of NCSoft, NCSoft drops CoH, stocks plummet, Nexon buys up more NCSoft, and more, and more, and then...controls NCSoft??

I don't know how any of that stuff works. I just enjoy all the diabolical schemes and conspiracy theories that people keep making up.

houtex

• Elite Boss
  • I was the turkey all along! MEE!
« Reply #419 on: December 02, 2012, 05:08:07 PM »
All due respect to 'not hurt the little man' ideas re: NCSoft tanking, let me say this...

They work there.  They rumormonger like the rest of us.  They KNOW what's going on.  If they stay, and the company tanks, then that's their own fault for not being proactive.

Yes yes... job market, economy... whatever.  A bad company, and you stay?  You're either getting paid to stay, love it so much you can't leave, or are stupid/shortsighted/scared witless.  Probably a couple of other veins, but them three are prevaling.

I will not weep for any person involved with NCSoft if the company fails, as long as CoH is kept locked away in the vaults of NCSoft.  They have choosen their beds and layed in them.

Let us not worry about 'the little people' of that company, because they can do that for themselves, and should.

/And yes, I've been one of those.  It sucks, but life moves on.
//Did NCSoft think of 'the little people', meaning us, or the Studio?  Nope.  Not so much, methinks, or we'd all still be on, the Devs would still be in the Studio.
///Business is business... And that's all that is.  NCSoft is now bad business, and stickin' around is... well, that's their problem, those 'little peoples.'