Author Topic: NCSoft Stockwatch  (Read 722922 times)

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
Re: NCSoft Stockwatch
« Reply #1700 on: February 16, 2013, 12:26:31 AM »
Someone on this board uses the screenname "Roderick." He hasn't posted much, but I've had to fight the urge to post this when I does. I dont' want to come off as mocking him, but I have to go watch it every time. :)
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #1701 on: February 16, 2013, 02:52:44 AM »
Larry speculates that all is not well in ArenaNetLand.  We've talked to several people who know folks who work there, and there is growing unhappiness about the Edicts from On High.  And now NCSoft announces in the corporate meeting that they are putting out a GW2 expansion which....they aren't.  He thinks the immediate announcement from ArenaNet of "No we aren't," is the first sign of overt rebellion.

I will say that if they buy themselves out, I will be the first to buy a package (even though I have no intentions of playing) to support them.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1702 on: February 16, 2013, 04:28:25 AM »
If they get away from NCsoft the first thing I'll do is buy a pile of gems to spend on stuff, probably transmutation stones.

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #1703 on: February 16, 2013, 04:57:16 AM »
I'll second that.  If they break free of NCLimp, I'll happily buy a copy of GW2 from them, even if I probably won't play it.  I could give it away to someone here.  :)

NecrotechMaster

• Elite Boss
  • is there a badge for that?
« Reply #1704 on: February 16, 2013, 05:50:23 AM »
if they get free of ncsoft, its very likely ncsoft will go under very fast since GW is one of their biggest sellers

they could float along on lineage for awhile but it certainly wouldnt last

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #1705 on: February 16, 2013, 05:56:49 AM »
If they get free, I'll have to send NCsoft a sympathy letter.

"Sorry you lost your game."

Roderick

• Minion
« Reply #1706 on: February 16, 2013, 09:25:19 AM »
Someone on this board uses the screenname "Roderick." He hasn't posted much, but I've had to fight the urge to post this when I does. I dont' want to come off as mocking him, but I have to go watch it every time. :)

I had the same handle on the official forums, too. And that was posted in response to me a couple times there, too. I've got a pretty tolerant sense pf humor, so as long as it doesn't come across deliberately mean, I probably won't care.
It's strange that I even saw that though. As you say, I'm not a frequent poster. And no, I wasn't ego searching. I read Mercedes Lackey's posts every couple days, and happened to catch my name in the post above one of hers. Go figure... I never knew I was an internet celebrity.  ;P

Also... I think you have a video to go watch.

SARobb

• Boss
  • Rawr.
« Reply #1707 on: February 16, 2013, 11:25:09 AM »
Also... I think you have a video to go watch.

*snicker* well played.
Stand up for what you beleive in - even if you are standing alone

Teutonic Rogue

• Underling
« Reply #1708 on: February 16, 2013, 03:56:35 PM »
... what's with all the funny looks?

Check the mirror? You may have been given a fake nose. ;p

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #1709 on: February 16, 2013, 04:16:14 PM »
Knowing NCSoft, even if there is a buyout clause, unless it's very well worded (and I doubt NCSoft's lawyers would have accepted it if it was), they'll find a loophole to set the price high enough so that it's not feasible for ArenaNet to ever exercise it.

Especially given how much money it's made them lately.

Quinch

« Reply #1710 on: February 16, 2013, 04:29:17 PM »
Things get bad enough and anyone will be willing to walk out of a job.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #1711 on: February 16, 2013, 05:42:34 PM »
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #1712 on: February 16, 2013, 06:43:49 PM »
If they get away from NCsoft the first thing I'll do is buy a pile of gems to spend on stuff, probably transmutation stones.

I would pay ArenaNet $1,000 to go indie by starting the letter notifying NCsoft with the following sentence: "ArenaNet is incredibly proud of NCsoft, but unfortunately, the continued support of NCsoft no longer fits within our long term goals for the company."

NecrotechMaster

• Elite Boss
  • is there a badge for that?
« Reply #1713 on: February 16, 2013, 07:24:01 PM »
nice one tony lol

i still think that if arenanet wanted to go indie that ncsoft would be in some pretty hot water, their NA share of games will be effectively dead

Surelle

« Reply #1714 on: February 17, 2013, 02:19:21 AM »
nice one tony lol

i still think that if arenanet wanted to go indie that ncsoft would be in some pretty hot water, their NA share of games will be effectively dead

To be honest, though, it is apparent that NCSoft could care less about NA and EU.

But isn't the GW series crazy mad popular in Asia as well?  I seem to remember tons of Koreans overtaking the original GWs' PvP arenas back when I played it at launch.   Now there would be your difference in the "caring" department for NC.  I would think they'd do anything within their power to keep ArenaNet and the GW franchise.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1715 on: February 17, 2013, 02:28:39 AM »
To be honest, though, it is apparent that NCSoft could care less about NA and EU.

Indeed.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #1716 on: February 17, 2013, 03:31:34 AM »

But isn't the GW series crazy mad popular in Asia as well?  I seem to remember tons of Koreans overtaking the original GWs' PvP arenas back when I played it at launch.   Now there would be your difference in the "caring" department for NC.  I would think they'd do anything within their power to keep ArenaNet and the GW franchise.

Yes GW was localized for a variety of Asian countries including Korea, Taiwan, Philippines, Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand.

GW2 is now being localized for Asia, currently it's only available in NA and EU.

And while it's true that they are down to Lineage 2 and Aion in NA, and they aren't doing particularly well (seen any advertising for those MMOs in NA?) it is reported that they are revamping the missions in B&S to make the game more suited to NA and EU than a simple language translation.  Don't know if this means less grindy, less team dependent, less PvP targeted, don't know I guess we'll see.

I think every MMO company would love to have a game that's equally popular in the East and the West.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1717 on: February 17, 2013, 05:09:47 AM »
it is reported that they are revamping the missions in B&S to make the game more suited to NA and EU than a simple language translation.  Don't know if this means less grindy, less team dependent, less PvP targeted, don't know I guess we'll see.

The same was reported about Aion before it launched in NA. It proved to be completely untrue, and I doubt it'll be any different this time around.

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #1718 on: February 17, 2013, 08:22:41 AM »
I would pay ArenaNet $1,000 to go indie by starting the letter notifying NCsoft with the following sentence: "ArenaNet is incredibly proud of NCsoft, but unfortunately, the continued support of NCsoft no longer fits within our long term goals for the company."

Hell yes, I would throw a $1000 in with you Tony.

Mister Bison

• Elite Boss
  • *psychotic grin*
« Reply #1719 on: February 17, 2013, 11:45:03 AM »
Yeeessss....