Author Topic: NCSoft Stockwatch  (Read 722996 times)

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
Re: NCSoft Stockwatch
« Reply #1400 on: January 22, 2013, 11:38:38 PM »
I disagree.. I think a better mindset would be "Oh these people are really into supporting this game.  I can make money off them by providing a good product.  And if it turns out I can't (or don't want to) provide that in the future, I can count on them not only being reasonable but possibly also helping to find someone who will buy it from me.  Why?  Because they love this game.  As long as I am honest and don't act like a complete tool, they're behind me all the way!"

Just my .02.  Yes I know that a lot of businesses want to assume they have complete control over something, I have to hope there are some that are just fine with treating their customer base with respect.  If that's not something you'd do as a large business owner, definitely your choice.  I just think you'd be making a mistake.

I really hope so Golemjoe, that would be ideal I just don't want to rule out the possibility that we are scaring off buyers.  But you make a valid point, and I truly do hope with all my heart that is the way possible buyers are looking at it.

Little Green Frog

• Boss
  • @Little Green Frog
« Reply #1401 on: January 22, 2013, 11:49:27 PM »
I disagree.. I think a better mindset would be "Oh these people are really into supporting this game.  I can make money off them by providing a good product.  And if it turns out I can't (or don't want to) provide that in the future, I can count on them not only being reasonable but possibly also helping to find someone who will buy it from me.  Why?  Because they love this game.  As long as I am honest and don't act like a complete tool, they're behind me all the way!"

This is beautiful and very idealistic. I think you weren't around when VV declared that she is going to hire a shaman to ritualistically throw a curse upon NCsoft in front of their office? Or when the early ideas for the Alert The Colbert Nation initiative were flying around? Ah, those were good times.

golemjoe

• Minion
« Reply #1402 on: January 22, 2013, 11:58:20 PM »
This is beautiful and very idealistic. I think you weren't around when VV declared that she is going to hire a shaman to ritualistically throw a curse upon NCsoft in front of their office? Or when the early ideas for the Alert The Colbert Nation initiative were flying around? Ah, those were good times.

LOL.  Yes, I am sure _that_ is what's on the mind of every potential buyer.  Being cursed by a shaman.  I also don't think I'd be particularly worried about anything seen on the Colbert show even though I'm sure it's all completely real! ;-)

I don't read every post here.. just haven't really seen anything that would worry me if I were a large company.  They know that some of their customers are less "grounded" than others.

And yes it's idealistic.. I actually work for a very large company but if you don't start off thinking that you're good enough to treat people fairly and honestly, it's highly unlikely that you're going to suddenly start doing it later.  So aim high, deal with reality as it happens.

And on that note.. I have this wonderful pot of warm water for you here, Mr Frog.  Why don't you sit back and relax for a few minutes..

Little Green Frog

• Boss
  • @Little Green Frog
« Reply #1403 on: January 23, 2013, 12:16:24 AM »
LOL.  Yes, I am sure _that_ is what's on the mind of every potential buyer.  Being cursed by a shaman.

Forgive me. I forgot to add context. It was supposed to be a Korean shaman cursing them in front of their Seoul office. Here's an article about shamanism in modern Korean society for perspective:

http://busanhaps.com/article/feature-continuing-popularity-shamanism-south-korea

And a pretty quote:

However, because of their perceived spiritual power, many people fear them and, as a result, refrain from socializing with them. For the ordinary person, the musok-in is someone to be visited in times of trouble and avoided at other times. A writer or anthropologist planning to visit one is likely be warned by friends to be careful.

Still funny? If you are religious, imagine a holy man of your faith publicly throwing a curse upon your workplace.

I don't read every post here.. just haven't really seen anything that would worry me if I were a large company.

How about an accussation of money laundering? A denunciation to the FBI has been made, of course.

And on that note.. I have this wonderful pot of warm water for you here, Mr Frog.  Why don't you sit back and relax for a few minutes..

As much as it flatters me to be the main dish, I will hold on to my delicious legs for a little longer, if you don't mind. Thank you for the offer, though!

Edit: clarity.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 12:36:59 AM by Little Green Frog »

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #1404 on: January 23, 2013, 01:14:31 AM »
Just my .02.  Yes I know that a lot of businesses want to assume they have complete control over something, I have to hope there are some that are just fine with treating their customer base with respect.  If that's not something you'd do as a large business owner, definitely your choice.  I just think you'd be making a mistake.

Heh... is there any place left where haggling is still acceptable besides automotive sales and real estate?

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1405 on: January 23, 2013, 03:15:18 AM »
Heh... is there any place left where haggling is still acceptable besides automotive sales and real estate?
In America? Probably at the local farmer's market.

Tanklet

• Boss
« Reply #1406 on: January 23, 2013, 03:16:13 AM »
In America? Probably at the local farmer's market.

Craigslist :)

Edited for spelling
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 03:32:29 AM by Tanklet »

Terwyn

• Plan Z: Business/Marketing Lead
  • Elite Boss
    • Missing Worlds
« Reply #1407 on: January 23, 2013, 03:30:28 AM »
Actually, it is acceptable in most places. I have frequently gotten a lower price on items because of my negotiation skills.

Books with somewhat damaged covers can frequently be acquired for less than their stated price. It is how I acquired much of my library.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction.
- Albert Einstein

http://missingworlds.wordpress.com

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #1408 on: January 23, 2013, 04:20:06 AM »

Pawn Stars
Comic Book Men
American Pickers
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

NecrotechMaster

• Elite Boss
  • is there a badge for that?
« Reply #1409 on: January 23, 2013, 04:37:02 AM »
it really depends on where you go, chain/franchise stores like most big name things (such as grocery stores, restaurants, theaters, ect) wont allow you to bargain for price, you pay what the label says, unless your part of their members thing where you get slight discount but theres no bartering involved

most bartering is in places mentioned by fatherxmas (pawn stores in general, small family owned businesses, ect)

Colette

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1410 on: January 23, 2013, 04:48:26 AM »
Definition of a "Concern Unicorn":

"...someone who is on one side of the discussion, but pretends to be a supporter of the other side with 'concerns.' The idea behind this is that your opponents will take your arguments more seriously if they think you're an ally.  [Such a person] posts on a blog thread, in the guise of 'concern,' to disrupt dialogue or undermine morale by pointing out that posters and/or the site may be getting themselves in trouble, usually with an authority or power. They point out problems that don't really exist. The intent is to derail, stifle, [and] control the dialogue."

"...a false flag pseudonym created by a user whose actual point of view is opposed to the one that the user claims to hold... posts in Web forums devoted to its declared point of view and attempts to sway the group's actions or opinions while claiming to share their goals, but with professed 'concerns.' The goal is to sow fear, uncertainty and doubt within the group."

"the message is: 'I have some concerns about your methods. If you did these things to make your message less effective, it would be more effective.' ...This preys on a willingness to debate critics and allow dissent; everyone wastes time discussing the matter and bending over backwards, so as not to appear intolerant of disagreement, all to the great amusement of the sender."

"Experienced participants in online forums know that the most effective way to discourage a unicorn is usually to ignore it."

Why am I posting this? Oh, no reason. Just a gentle reminder to everybody. Nothing to see here. Please carry on. :: Whistles innocently. ::

NecrotechMaster

• Elite Boss
  • is there a badge for that?
« Reply #1411 on: January 23, 2013, 05:58:24 AM »

"...someone who is on one side of the discussion, but pretends to be a supporter of the other side with 'concerns.' The idea behind this is that your opponents will take your arguments more seriously if they think you're an ally.  [Such a person] posts on a blog thread, in the guise of 'concern,' to disrupt dialogue or undermine morale by pointing out that posters and/or the site may be getting themselves in trouble, usually with an authority or power. They point out problems that don't really exist. The intent is to derail, stifle, [and] control the dialogue."

"...a false flag pseudonym created by a user whose actual point of view is opposed to the one that the user claims to hold... posts in Web forums devoted to its declared point of view and attempts to sway the group's actions or opinions while claiming to share their goals, but with professed 'concerns.' The goal is to sow fear, uncertainty and doubt within the group."

"the message is: 'I have some concerns about your methods. If you did these things to make your message less effective, it would be more effective.' ...This preys on a willingness to debate critics and allow dissent; everyone wastes time discussing the matter and bending over backwards, so as not to appear intolerant of disagreement, all to the great amusement of the sender."

"Experienced participants in online forums know that the most effective way to discourage a unicorn is usually to ignore it."

Why am I posting this? Oh, no reason. Just a gentle reminder to everybody. Nothing to see here. Please carry on. :: Whistles innocently. ::

^
+1

Kosmos

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1412 on: January 23, 2013, 11:46:25 AM »
Pawn Stars
Comic Book Men
American Pickers

LOL. Haggling is "history". Or what passes for "history" on cable TV.

Kosmos

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1413 on: January 23, 2013, 12:02:15 PM »

Auto dealers, real estate, eBay, craigslist and similar venues, many places selling used or locally produced items (e.g. farmer's markets, used book stores, stores selling the work of local artists, etc), some stores selling overstock or factory seconds type items, and many service providers in a variety of industries (e.g. computer service, housework, handy man jobs, gardening, etc). Basically everywhere but in stores, such as large chain retail outlets, where the employees aren't likely to be allowed that type of discretion. Heck, even my guy at Papa John's gave me a deal on my pizzas on New Year's.

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1414 on: January 23, 2013, 04:18:42 PM »

Well played. +1

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1415 on: January 23, 2013, 04:18:59 PM »
Colette: Definition of a "Concern Unicorn": [...]

Point taken. I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt, probably way too much.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #1416 on: January 23, 2013, 06:19:21 PM »
Definition of a "Concern Unicorn" [...]

At the risk of sounding like one, it's very easy to throw this at someone who is making an honest attempt at moderation or playing Devil's Advocate. That doesn't invalidate the point, but it bears pointing out.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Little Green Frog

• Boss
  • @Little Green Frog
« Reply #1417 on: January 23, 2013, 06:27:53 PM »

Oh well, I've been exposed. There's no denying it now, I suppose, but hey, I almost made it! It bears emphasizing, however, that only someone with your insight could uncover my diabolical machinations.

Arctic Force.

• Lieutenant
  • I am A Blaster.....Floors Fear Me!!
« Reply #1418 on: January 23, 2013, 06:42:42 PM »
Oh well, I've been exposed. There's no denying it now, I suppose

Admitting that you have a problem is the first step towards recovery ;P
One the biggest entertainment franchises was saved by a letter writing campaign. Now it has 4 spin-off tv shows an animated series, eleven movies plus 1 in the works, multiple games And pretty much started "Fan-Cons". Thanks Mr. Roddenberry  Earn free bitcoin

Little Green Frog

• Boss
  • @Little Green Frog
« Reply #1419 on: January 23, 2013, 07:03:56 PM »
Admitting that you have a problem is the first step towards recovery ;P

Regretfully that won't be possible. At least as long as Mr Taek Kim Jin is paying me a wage to sow discord and undermine morale of honest CoHers. In fact he is now furiously typing new corporate strategy to target select forum posters (they know who they are) with unicorning attempts. It's personal for him now, you see.

Edit: removing top secret corporate info that somehow leakead into my post.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 07:11:55 PM by Little Green Frog »