Author Topic: NCSoft Stockwatch  (Read 723024 times)

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
Re: NCSoft Stockwatch
« Reply #1240 on: January 09, 2013, 12:21:49 AM »
Obviously, you're not familiar with the "depths" of variety available in said reference material. (No, I'm not linking!)
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1241 on: January 09, 2013, 12:45:44 AM »
Obviously, you're not familiar with the "depths" of variety available in said reference material. (No, I'm not linking!)

"Clearly you've never been to Singapore."

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #1242 on: January 09, 2013, 12:52:32 AM »
Summer, '97. I won't say, here, where our "lady friends" drew the line.  8)
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1243 on: January 09, 2013, 12:53:30 AM »
So I see the stock took a dive again today.  Think there's a reason for it, or is it just going back down to where it should be?  ;)

WildFire15

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1244 on: January 09, 2013, 12:57:03 AM »
It seems to be steady-ish around about that 145k to 158k area at the moment. Must be some sort of discussion going on behind closed doors

houtex

• Elite Boss
  • I was the turkey all along! MEE!
« Reply #1245 on: January 09, 2013, 02:42:46 AM »
People who can buy it can likely also read the latest... misdirection, let's call it... that NCSoft tried to pull... and so down they go...

/At least, that's what I would feverently hope.  I'm probably wrong.

Quinch

« Reply #1246 on: January 09, 2013, 02:55:09 AM »
Well, it depends on whether they're willing to take Davis' statement at face value. If they check the comments and/or facts themselves, it would more likely backfire.

Personally, I'm really hoping Joe picks up the story as well.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #1247 on: January 09, 2013, 03:28:34 AM »
Well nothing obvious as to why the sudden sell off.  Nothing off of the Korean news feeds.  Nothing about NCsoft or the gaming industry in general.  Scuttlebutt that 4Q isn't as good as some analysts suggested?  We're about 4 weeks away from the official 4Q/2012 annual numbers.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Quinch

« Reply #1248 on: January 09, 2013, 03:38:23 AM »
I certainly wouldn't mind another cliff jump the kind of that last quarter report preceded, but I don't want to jinx it either.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #1249 on: January 09, 2013, 03:40:42 AM »
Scuttlebutt that 4Q isn't as good as some analysts suggested? 

From your mouth to the deity of your choice's ear.

Or it might be because, despite sinking stock numbers, disappointment with GW2's retention rate (it's not good, if what I am hearing is true), panic downsizing of NCSoft's staffing, they are still building a bigger HQ in Seoul. 

None of these things would make me want to buy their stock.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

ukaserex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1250 on: January 09, 2013, 04:22:21 AM »
The thing about stock analysts is that we can never be sure that they aren't biased for or against. Perhaps they are fans of NCSoft's baseball team? And, even if they are credible, certainly most people that invest in the market buy a stock and just leave it. Investing is typically a long term deal.

However, given the cheaper prices for trades, the long term may not be as viable as it once was. I tend to view stock analysts like I do reporters. Sure, they report facts, but they all place their own spin on them.
Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #1251 on: January 09, 2013, 04:37:11 AM »
From your mouth to the deity of your choice's ear.

Or it might be because, despite sinking stock numbers, disappointment with GW2's retention rate (it's not good, if what I am hearing is true), panic downsizing of NCSoft's staffing, they are still building a bigger HQ in Seoul. 

None of these things would make me want to buy their stock.

They started to ball rolling on the new HQ in 2010.  New exclusive high tech oriented industrial park emphasis on park, lots of green space, lots of big name neighbors.

I've not seen any news on GW2 retention rate problems, other than their periodic bans.  Latest was another exploit that let you on average double a very rare and high price crafting ingredient.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #1252 on: January 09, 2013, 04:50:26 AM »
They started to ball rolling on the new HQ in 2010.  New exclusive high tech oriented industrial park emphasis on park, lots of green space, lots of big name neighbors.

I've not seen any news on GW2 retention rate problems, other than their periodic bans.  Latest was another exploit that let you on average double a very rare and high price crafting ingredient.

My information on GW2's retention rate is all anecdotal, but friends of mine who USED to play stopped playing because everyone burned through the content in about 2 months, leaving only end-game mass PvP battles, mass events, and other things that most of us would call "grindy."  And while many of them would keep playing, all of their friends left because they had burned through the content in 2-3 months, and there was nothing new to explore.

I will grant you, that is a common problem with a new game.  However, boxes no longer seem to be flying out the door, and since it's F2P and there are lots of other anecdotal problems (handicapped being banned for using kb helps, getting reinstated, only to be banned again, lather rinse repeat; mass banning because of using an exploit that cropped up due to bad coding, poor customer service) not retaining your base could prove very problematic.  Another friend, Owen K.C. Stevens (yes THAT Owen Stevens) told me the other day that friends of his who work at ArenaNet told him the bans are due to a zero tolerance edict handed down by NCSoft that permits no exclusions.  Yes, I know that is 3rd hand, but I think the sources are reliable.  Read into that what you will.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Little Green Frog

• Boss
  • @Little Green Frog
« Reply #1253 on: January 09, 2013, 06:55:36 AM »
The thing about stock analysts is that we can never be sure that they aren't biased for or against. Perhaps they are fans of NCSoft's baseball team?

Yes, there appears to be much truth to what you said. I've heard someone say condescendingly that if you as an economist are too incompetent to hold a job in a financial institution or academia, you go working as an analyst. Publicly available analysis is often based on outdated or inaccurate data. And analysts seldom have in-depth perspective of what is really going on with companies that are under their scrutiny.

And, even if they are credible, certainly most people that invest in the market buy a stock and just leave it. Investing is typically a long term deal.

For individuals yes, this is often true. But individuals do not shape the market. Big players like banks, funds or speculators do. They may opt for short them stock acquisition, then sell it quickly just as the price goes up a few points. And by short term I mean really short. Situations when someone buys, then sells large quantities of stock in a matter of minutes are pretty normal.

It's a wonderfully complicated and chaotic system.

NecrotechMaster

• Elite Boss
  • is there a badge for that?
« Reply #1254 on: January 09, 2013, 07:06:24 AM »
VV, to me its still continuing to sound like ncsoft is the main problem, and their poor business sense may end up killing arenanet as well

Quinch

« Reply #1255 on: January 09, 2013, 03:40:41 PM »
In happier news, looks like the stock dipped below 150K again. They're just a little bit short of their three-year worst.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1256 on: January 09, 2013, 07:16:30 PM »
In happier news, looks like the stock dipped below 150K again. They're just a little bit short of their three-year worst.
watching very closely waiting for the time to strike.

Tubbius

• Fun Title
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #1257 on: January 10, 2013, 01:29:07 AM »
Up and down and up and down go the stock reports?

DarkCurrent

• Boss
« Reply #1258 on: January 10, 2013, 01:31:40 AM »
watching very closely waiting for the time to strike.

Ooh... someone has a nefarious plan in the works.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #1259 on: January 10, 2013, 03:13:08 AM »
Up and down and up and down go the stock reports?
Stock is sitting at 141.5k at the moment, but apparently dropped as low as 139.0 earlier (52-week low.)
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov