Author Topic: Keeping people's attention: Charity?  (Read 6535 times)

uninventive

Keeping people's attention: Charity?
« on: September 19, 2012, 12:54:15 AM »
We all pay $15 for VIP access, right?  The money would go to NCSoft who would collect it on a monthly basis.

Now the next couple of months, we have nothing to pay for.  How about at the end of every calendar month, do a 1-week charity drive (pay your subscription fee from October 1-7, November 1-7, and December 1-7).  Someone would need to vet three charities that Titan would approve of, naturally, and we ask that VIP players (keyword: ASK... it's not mandatory, if you need that $15, keep it) put in $15 each month. 

We can cover the same charities as Real World Hero did, or different ones.  I'll leave that to people who can vet those out better than I can.

You can donate more if you like, but try to keep it an amount you wouldn't mind spending on a VIP fee or Paragon Points on at least the first drive.  Let's find out (indirectly) just how much NCSoft was getting from us each month, and help somebody else out at the same time.

TL;DR Edition: Titan Network is considering this already as an idea.  Stay tuned.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 02:47:05 AM by uninventive »

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
Re: Keeping people's attention: Charity?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 12:57:02 AM »
/Signed.

I have no money to contribute as I'm working for the first time in over eight months, but you have my full moral support!
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

Vulpy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 12:58:36 AM »
This very idea has been coming up with dogged persistence lately. My response remains the same as it has the other times it's been mentioned: I suspect (and this is pure speculation on my part) that a Call to Action of this sort is on the near horizon. Sock away funds for when that finally comes through, then we can make an even bigger impact!
@Vulpy
Protector Server

Ampithere

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 12:58:54 AM »
I'd be willing to put money in.
@Rorn

Most recently active as Blue Baron

Guardian Server

Teege

• Boss
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 01:00:18 AM »
A good start would be to Go. Hunt. Find Charities.

Compose a list of reputable charities that would allow us to donate as a group (to represent the City of Heroes community) and go from there. We can make a huge impact on multiple fronts this way.
Keep fighting the good fight!

@Teege - Virtue

www.cohtitan.com

uninventive

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 01:00:25 AM »
My last payday is Sept. 28th, then I'm laid off myself.

I'll be able to give throughout them, of course.  My piggy bank is hammer-proof.

This very idea has been coming up with dogged persistence lately. My response remains the same as it has the other times it's been mentioned: I suspect (and this is pure speculation on my part) that a Call to Action of this sort is on the near horizon. Sock away funds for when that finally comes through, then we can make an even bigger impact!

If it is, no problem.  Call this thread "gauging interest" into people's willingness to do something like that before the official announcement. Plus, if this is true, the mods will know and reply accordingly (i.e.: "Stay tuned..." or something like that.)

A good start would be to Go. Hunt. Find Charities.

Compose a list of reputable charities that would allow us to donate as a group (to represent the City of Heroes community) and go from there. We can make a huge impact on multiple fronts this way.

My next two weeks are hectic (when people get wind that an IT Employee is getting laid off, the reaction isn't sympathy, it's dumping hundreds of requests per day into the inbox before they're gone)... I've got the willpower, and the money, but not the time.

Off to college... wheeeee!

castorcorvus

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 01:05:22 AM »
Not a bad idea. But we should choose groups that few can argue how just their cause is. We choose the wrong ones and suddenly we have a political split in Titan. Not everyone values the same things. We should tread carefuly if we choose to follow this line of thought.

castorcorvus, out

Teege

• Boss
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2012, 01:08:15 AM »
I'd encourage staying away from anything Religious or Politically based for that reason. I think it's a safe bet to go after more Humanitarian causes... homelessness, food shelves, natural disaster relief, etc.

Ed.:
Fixed back to original comment.  I can edit other people's posts?!!  --uninventive
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 01:13:08 AM by uninventive »

@Teege - Virtue

www.cohtitan.com

uninventive

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2012, 01:13:24 AM »
I'd encourage staying away from anything Religious or Politically based for that reason. I think it's a safe bet to go after more Humanitarian causes... homelessness, food shelves, natural disaster relief, etc.

An oldie, but goodie: http://www.childsplaycharity.org/assets/downloads/childsplay_fundraising_guide.pdf
Quick, simple, won't have to work through a middle-man-- using ChipIn we can gauge the total run without owing the IRS.

I'll look up others later.  Now I'm late for school.

Final Thought: I want to flip this script... We're not losing an NCSoft game; NCSoft is losing us as a community.  THIS is what they're shutting out.

Teege

• Boss
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2012, 01:14:43 AM »
Yeah how -did- you edit my post? I call hax!

@Teege - Virtue

www.cohtitan.com

uninventive

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2012, 01:16:05 AM »
Yeah how -did- you edit my post? I call hax!

I guess the OP can edit replies or something.  I have no idea.

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2012, 01:16:15 AM »
Thread starter can do that, yes.
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

castorcorvus

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2012, 01:16:26 AM »

This is what I'm talking about, but I'd say that something that a person has absolutly no control over would be the best way to avoid stepping on toes. Cancer is a very good one and it is something that every human on Earth risks a run in with. You could say that it is our Nemisis! lol

Soundtrack

• Boss
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2012, 01:17:03 AM »
Are we considering making donations to (as the thread title suggests) "keep people's attention" or are we going to give to charity for charity's sake?

I just don't feel I could support a cause of "Hey...let's give our usual $15/month to some homeless people and if/when we get our game back up... we can get that $15 and put back into the game!"

Don't get me wrong... I think giving to a worthy cause is well, worthy. :)

I guess I just hope that people would find a cause and give to the cause without ulterior motives (and yes, I feel that "Let's give money for the publicity" is an ulterior motive.)

I certainly don't mean to come across as "holier than thou" (trust me when I say I am flawed in so many ways I lost count! ;) )... I just mean that people should give for giving's sake. :)

(And I don't mean to judge others (and I apologize if this came across that way)... heck, the fact that people want to give to a cause is great! :) I guess I just wish it would "stick" even after the game is purchased/created/whatever.   ) :)

castorcorvus

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2012, 01:21:33 AM »
Are we considering making donations to (as the thread title suggests) "keep people's attention" or are we going to give to charity for charity's sake?

I just don't feel I could support a cause of "Hey...let's give our usual $15/month to some homeless people and if/when we get our game back up... we can get that $15 and put back into the game!"

Don't get me wrong... I think giving to a worthy cause is well, worthy. :)

I guess I just hope that people would find a cause and give to the cause without ulterior motives (and yes, I feel that "Let's give money for the publicity" is an ulterior motive.)

I certainly don't mean to come across as "holier than thou" (trust me when I say I am flawed in so many ways I lost count! ;) )... I just mean that people should give for giving's sake. :)

(And I don't mean to judge others (and I apologize if this came across that way)... heck, the fact that people want to give to a cause is great! :) I guess I just wish it would "stick" even after the game is purchased/created/whatever.   ) :)

I understand your mindset, but we are just looking at this objectively. We all have tight funds, CoH offered an escape. Now NCsoft, in an act of selfishness is trying to kill the game, not even trying to sell it and make some happy customers. We are fighting selfishness with selflessness. ;D

castorcorvus, out.

Soundtrack

• Boss
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2012, 01:23:14 AM »
I completely understand and I was just thinking I'll most likely dedicate the $60 that NCSoft owes me to some cause to further our cause. :)

Cococabana

• Underling
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2012, 02:00:02 AM »
There's another opportunity that provides visibility to our efforts, requires little effort or cost to participate in, and produces real results.

The World Community Grid (http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org) is a multinational grid computing project sponsored by IBM. The WCG hosts research projects for clean water initiatives, clean energy development, children's cancer, diseases and more. Here's how it works:

• To start, you register, then download and install a small program or "agent" onto your computer.
  • When idle, your computer will request data on a specific project from World Community Grid's server. It will then perform computations on this data, send the results back to the server, and ask the server for a new piece of work. Each computation that your computer performs provides scientists with critical information that accelerates the pace of research.

The WCG launched in 2004 (The same year as City of Heroes... Coincidence?) . According to Wikipedia, as of this month it has over 600,000 registered users.

Here's how it works for us:

Visibility: Participants can form teams to compete in events, trying to rack up research points within a time limit. We could create our own "Paragon City Heroes" team. This could make a great story on for CNN's iStories, or as an online press release.

Little Effort & Low-Low-LOW Cost: You can set up an account and install the client in 10 minutes. Cost wise, your only expense is the electricity your computer is using.

Results: Charities are great, but the problem with them is they cost money to run. Unfortunately, a portion (and sometimes it's a large portion) of the money they collect goes to simply keeping the lights on, paying for administrative and marketing costs.

But with WCG, 100% of what you're contributing in power and processor time is being used as intended - it's all going to crunch numbers and develop meaningful, actionable research.

One final thought-

We all should be aware that our efforts to save CoH may be for naught. We may not succeed. But the spirit of the game, and its community, could continue on the World Community Grid, in the form of a giant team of real-life heroes, on a long-term Task Force to fight real problems and truly make the world a better place.

What better tribute could there be to the game, its developers and its community?

Teege

• Boss
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2012, 02:03:47 AM »
Now that is awesome. Count me in!

@Teege - Virtue

www.cohtitan.com

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2012, 03:37:27 AM »
Even heroes need help

DJ Amethyst and DJ Nexus are close to being homeless.  Please help your fellow CoXers if you are able.

You want to do something like that, here is a good cause.  And it's for people in the community we're fighting for.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2012, 03:38:05 AM »
You want to do something like that, here is a good cause.  And it's for people in the community we're fighting for.

Please do!

*laments being too po' to help* u.u