Author Topic: Keeping people's attention: Charity?  (Read 6534 times)

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
Re: Keeping people's attention: Charity?
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2012, 03:40:43 AM »
Please do!

*laments being too po' to help* u.u

I'm giving my wife until the end of the week to "let" me before I go into her purse and get her card.  I have money coming that is taking longer than it should, or I would have given, already.

If I'm not mistaken, one could theoretically order foodstuffs thru Amazon?
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Cococabana

• Underling
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2012, 06:35:30 AM »
OK - I did it.  Meet the newest team on the World Community Grid, the Paragon City Heroes!

So now - JOIN THE TEAM! Visit http://www.worldcommunitygrid.com, set up an account (use your hero or villains name!) and download the agent. That'll take just a few minutes to set up. When you're good to go, open your profile, in the left-hand navigator, you should see a Teams option. Click that, there should be a Join or Find Team option, then look up Paragon City Heroes. I'll be there, using the name of my first CoH character, von Stroheim.

Our first challenge kicks off on September 25th and runs through September 27th.  It's an "All Projects" challenge, so we'll be contributing to all the research projects on the World Community Grid, which includes study initiatives for Sustainable Water, Malaria, AIDs, Children's Cancer, Muscular Dystrophy and more.

We're going to need a lot of members to properly compete with other teams - but a lot of people love CoH. These research projects will contribute to making the world a much better place, and our actions will send a message to NCSoft about just what a great game CoH is, the dedication of its players, and the positive impact it can generate.

I'll set up a web page for the team in the near future (maybe this weekend, if I get the chance). I think it would be cool if we had a member page with a name and headshot of all the team members' CoH characters. If we can get a full page of members, that would be a hell of a screenshot to send to Massively, along with a great story.

Any thoughts or suggestions - I'd love to hear them.

Following is a list of all the research projects running on the World Community Grid

• Computing for Sustainable Water
  • Say No to Schistosoma
  • GO Fight Against Malaria
  • Drug Search for Leishmaniasis
  • Computing for Clean Water
  • The Clean Energy Project - Phase 2
  • Discovering Dengue Drugs - Together - Phase 2
  • Help Cure Muscular Dystrophy - Phase 2
  • Help Fight Childhood Cancer
  • Help Conquer Cancer
  • Human Proteome Folding - Phase 2
  • FightAIDS@Home

Maressa

• Boss
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2012, 07:33:07 AM »
I had hoped to keep this secret until the end of the week but with the recent news and the attention here I suppose I will start the rumor mill a bit early. TonyV and I are going be announcing a charity event this weekend at the second Positron's Ally event. I really don't want to share any more than that right now as we're still working out details.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2012, 08:33:09 AM »
Thread starter can do that, yes.
:o
I had no idea that was possible.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Vulpy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2012, 12:12:33 PM »
OK - I did it.  Meet the newest team on the World Community Grid, the Paragon City Heroes!

I already run folding@home on my PS3--and on my computer when I remember that it's there--so I'm familiar with the concept. Count me in.

I mean...

You have my unused processor cycles!
@Vulpy
Protector Server

Ultraviolets

« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2012, 12:33:27 PM »
Hi all, I'm not sure if anyone setting up a charity already has done this, but for drives organized by a cause, it's important to talk about this with the charity first. When the Retake Mass Effect movement raised money for charity, after tens of thousands of dollars were raised, Penny Arcade closed their doors for any new donations for two reasons. One was that certain individuals thought the donations were paying for a new ending, not to bring awareness to the Retake Mass Effect cause. A couple of people demanded a refund from Child's Play when they realized they weren't directly buying a new ending with their donation. This was probably one of the biggest pieces of ammunition the people against Retake Mass Effect had against the charity drive and it did tarnish the cause. The other reason Penny Arcade gave was that they did not want to have their named attached to a cause as if they officially endorsed it by collaboration.

I love the idea of a charity drive, with the SaveCoH name on it or for no other reason than to just give! If this is done with the intention to draw attention to SaveCoH, however, well...I was involved with some of the Retake Mass Effect activities (charity drive yes, cupcakes unfortunately no) and this was one of the lessons learned from the event. Discussing possibilities with the charity should make the process of setting up the drive run that much smoothly [I'll edit that statement to be more coherent later], if this hasn't already been thought of and done.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/retake-mass-effect-childs-play-fundraiser-stopped-6367778
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 01:03:41 PM by Ultraviolets »

uninventive

« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2012, 02:46:01 AM »
I had hoped to keep this secret until the end of the week but with the recent news and the attention here I suppose I will start the rumor mill a bit early. TonyV and I are going be announcing a charity event this weekend at the second Positron's Ally event. I really don't want to share any more than that right now as we're still working out details.

Consider me on board... well, to contribute funds, not to interfere with whatever plans are present.

:o
I had no idea that was possible.

I know, right?

Teege

• Boss
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2012, 11:50:23 PM »

I didn't see anything regarding this. Did I miss the announcement or is it still in the works?
Keep fighting the good fight!

@Teege - Virtue

www.cohtitan.com

uninventive

« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2012, 04:37:36 AM »
I didn't see anything regarding this. Did I miss the announcement or is it still in the works?

Guessing when it's ready, it'll be stickied to this board with a "Call to action:" prefix on it.

Knightward

• Minion
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2012, 12:32:41 PM »
You have my wallet!