Author Topic: News?  (Read 241234 times)

BryanSnowden

• Minion
Re: News?
« Reply #620 on: October 24, 2012, 12:16:49 AM »
All of the COH servers were owned by NCsoft in their data center in Austin. And most of them were virtual shards, and no longer individual physical shards.

Unless they changed very recently, the servers are located somewhere in the general vicinity of Dallas... or D/FW
http://wiki.cohtitan.com/wiki/Servers
There are fifteen publicly accessible servers and one subscription-only server that run the City of Heroes game. These servers are all physically located in Dallas, Texas, as of November 11th, 2010

I don't believe they were ever moved after that - to anywhere...  As for the folks in Austin, to the best of my knowledge/(AFAIK) - That's where the Customer Service, Support, and GM's were located.  I'm also fairly certain - they had the ability to access the servers in Dallas - from Austin. (Which, I'm guessing = would explain someone recently mentioning them being *Co-located*, IDK if that's actually the case or not? And. I'm pretty damn sure that they were virtual servers not separate hardware )

Aka, "D/FW" = the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex - is HUGE = meaning they could be in any of several smaller cities, subdivisions, little townships & unincorporated areas that effectively *Got Ate* by the Metroplex over the years! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dallas%E2%80%93Fort_Worth_metroplex

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #621 on: October 24, 2012, 12:49:54 AM »
I'm not 100% certain where the info on the wiki page comes from. The last hop on a backbone network is indeed a Level3 Communications NOC in Dallas, however there's several other hops inside the 64.25.32.0 network, which is part of NCSoft's address range. Based on the variance in ping times, it may very well be going over a private link to Austin.

There's also currently a "NOC Administrator - 3rd Shift" job opening in Austin that mentions game servers.

Their BGP announce indicates that they're multihomed and are receiving service from TINET as well. So if someone in a different part of the country could do a traceroute it might shed some additional light.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #622 on: October 24, 2012, 01:06:29 AM »
I'm not 100% certain where the info on the wiki page comes from.
There used to be a lot more knowledge base support articles about City, and the one the server page links to (which apparently no longer exists even though City is supported through Nov 30) specifically said the servers were in Austin, after having been consolidated from their CA/VA hosting locations.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #623 on: October 24, 2012, 01:07:11 AM »
There used to be a lot more knowledge base support articles about City, and the one the server page links to (which apparently no longer exists even though City is supported through Nov 30) specifically said the servers were in Austin, after having been consolidated from their CA/VA hosting locations.

Austin or Dallas? Unfortunately archive.org doesn't seem to have any knowledge of that page.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #624 on: October 24, 2012, 01:08:05 AM »
Dallas, sorry, LOL

However, I'm almost positive in recent months there have been dev comments about the servers in Austin. Specifically Zwill on livestreams, when talking about updates/maintenances.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Back Blast

• Minion
« Reply #625 on: October 25, 2012, 05:42:30 PM »
Unless they changed very recently, the servers are located somewhere in the general vicinity of Dallas... or D/FW
http://wiki.cohtitan.com/wiki/Servers 
I don't believe they were ever moved after that - to anywhere...  As for the folks in Austin, to the best of my knowledge/(AFAIK) - That's where the Customer Service, Support, and GM's were located.  I'm also fairly certain - they had the ability to access the servers in Dallas - from Austin. (Which, I'm guessing = would explain someone recently mentioning them being *Co-located*, IDK if that's actually the case or not? And. I'm pretty damn sure that they were virtual servers not separate hardware )

Aka, "D/FW" = the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex - is HUGE = meaning they could be in any of several smaller cities, subdivisions, little townships & unincorporated areas that effectively *Got Ate* by the Metroplex over the years! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dallas%E2%80%93Fort_Worth_metroplex

I live in the area and yeah, the Metroplex is a big place. We also have a lot of colo companies here too. I know a few NOC-monkeys. Whether any of them could shed light on where the servers are IDK. But then, does it really matter?

Kheprera

• Elite Boss
« Reply #626 on: October 25, 2012, 05:58:15 PM »
D/FW *is* really big in the number of smaller cities included (Richardson and Denton being two I know off-hand).

Austin is just over 200 miles away.  Not exactly co-located even if they're in the same state.

Valjean

• Lieutenant
« Reply #627 on: October 25, 2012, 06:05:11 PM »
The COH servers are in Austin.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #628 on: October 25, 2012, 06:26:03 PM »
D/FW *is* really big in the number of smaller cities included (Richardson and Denton being two I know off-hand).
Yeah, several counties big.

Austin is just over 200 miles away.  Not exactly co-located even if they're in the same state.
There's a whole lot of open space between the metroplex and Austin.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Hyperstrike

• Elite Boss
  • SaveCoH!
    • So Super It Hurts
« Reply #629 on: October 25, 2012, 06:34:13 PM »
Did you know that one of the tricks Digital used to get the Alpha's performance so high is that they tweaked it around the fab machines they used. It was to the point that *only* those fab machines could produce the chip without performance loss.

One of the first thing Compaq did when they took over was sell off those machines.

That's why the Alpha dropped in performance suddenly.

Why do you think AMD's having so many problems right now?

AMD's architecture isn't quite as "tight" as Intel's.  So there's some performance losses.

They got around this with LOTS of manual tweaking in their design process and during fab.

With Bulldozer, they went to an almost completely computer-designed layout.

It helped bring yields up, but their processor efficiency took a DISTINCT nosedive.

Oh yeah.  Hi.  I'm Chuck.  And I'm a huge, flaming geek.