Author Topic: Social Media?  (Read 8575 times)

Soundtrack

• Boss
Social Media?
« on: September 04, 2012, 04:28:52 PM »
It just occurred to me...do we already have a Facebook or Twitter page set up for our cause?

This forum is, of course, a wonderful way for us all to stay in contact with each other... but if I could "Like" or "Share" a Facebook page or "Follow" a Twitter account, it would get the word out even more.

Also, there are more Facebookers than Titaners out there so the more easily accessible something is, the more it's read. Also, with Facebook, etc. those of us who have an expertise in the video editing arena could create videos that we can share.

Podcasts - people calling in to a phone number with what COH means to them. Sharing those voice bits with the outside world.... (I'm sure there is some service that provides an 800 number to which others may call and leave a recording?)

Social media is our friend...let's make use of it. :)

If there already is a Facebook and/or Twitter page, I apologize for bringing this up and ask for the links so I may connect to them. :)

Thanks much!

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
Re: Social Media?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 04:59:21 PM »
There are a few Facebook pages already going.  Here's one:

http://www.facebook.com/SaveOurCityOfHeroes

People on Twitter are using #COH or #CityOfHeroes hashtags.  We're talking about trying to get #SaveCOH or #SaveCityofHeroes trending.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Soundtrack

• Boss
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 05:01:19 PM »
There are a few Facebook pages already going.  Here's one:

http://www.facebook.com/SaveOurCityOfHeroes

People on Twitter are using #COH or #CityOfHeroes hashtags.  We're talking about trying to get #SaveCOH or #SaveCityofHeroes trending.

Great! Thanks for the link, Eabrace.

Altoholic Monkey

• Lieutenant
    • Repeat Offenders Network - Making the stupidly difficult easy since 2005
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 05:02:54 PM »
There are a couple of pages run by different folks, but it would help to have one single unified FB Page, Twitter, Google+ and YouTube. I mentioned in another post that using one hashtag will help with trending. Decide on  #SaveCOH or #SaveCityOfHeroes or something else, then stick with that consistently.  Branding your cause consistently is the most important thing of all.  Because we want it be a cohesive unit and not just a group of sad gamers about to lose their favorite MMO.

Soundtrack

• Boss
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 05:04:10 PM »
Because we want it be a cohesive unit and not just a group of sad gamers about to lose their favorite MMO.

I couldn't agree more.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 05:35:01 PM »
There are a couple of pages run by different folks, but it would help to have one single unified FB Page, Twitter, Google+ and YouTube.
Agreed.  The reason I specifically linked the page I did is that people are posting links there to other pages that are forming, making it easier to find whoever happens to be the emerging as the 500 lb. gorilla.  I haven't personally been on top of keeping track close enough to know who we all seem to be rallying under, but I'm better if it's not that page, it's linked from there.

I mentioned in another post that using one hashtag will help with trending. Decide on  #SaveCOH or #SaveCityOfHeroes or something else, then stick with that consistently.
Agreed on this point, as well.  How about we decide right here and now - due to the character limit imposed on tweets - to go with #SaveCOH.  If we can agree to that, let's start spreading the word to use that hashtag via the forums and Facebook pages.[/quote]
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Altoholic Monkey

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 05:36:43 PM »
Here's what found so far on Facebook, way too many pages already.

http://www.facebook.com/SaveOurCityOfHeroes  - Has the most LIKES currently.
http://www.facebook.com/SaveCityOfHeroes  - seems to be unsure if the game is going to be cancelled.
http://www.facebook.com/savecoh 

Twitter
https://twitter.com/SaveCoX

Facebook Group - This is group is a good place for calls to action and information exchanges...I'm not sure who runs this though but it would be worth it to start using this as a connection point for calls to action.
http://www.facebook.com/groups/SaveCityofHeroes/

Altoholic Monkey

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 05:38:02 PM »
Agreed on this point, as well.  How about we decide right here and now - due to the character limit imposed on tweets - to go with #SaveCOH.  If we can agree to that, let's start spreading the word to use that hashtag via the forums and Facebook pages.

#SaveCOH works for me, its easy.

Soundtrack

• Boss
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 06:00:41 PM »
I'm fine with #SaveCOH. Simple and to the point. :)

I just would like to suggest that ALL our outreach avenues be that...

www.facebook.com/savecoh
www.twitter.com/#savecoh

etc.

As a teacher, I learned early on that if you give people too many things to remember, it weakens the message you might be trying to get across.

Of course, that's just a suggestion. :)

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2012, 06:13:11 PM »
I just would like to suggest that ALL our outreach avenues be that...

www.facebook.com/savecoh
www.twitter.com/#savecoh
Had we thought of that in time, I would have to agree that's the best way to go.  However, since we already seem to be building momentum (people have already started saving bookmarks for pages and all that), I'd be good with two main sources of info in social media.

www.twitter.com/#savecoh
www.facebook.com/SaveOurCityOfHeroes *

* assuming that's the emerging frontrunning
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin

WanderingAries

• Elite Boss
  • @WanderingAries /\ Mostly on Torch
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2012, 06:29:55 PM »
I ran a quick search on FB the other day and came up with like over a Dozen related pages. If we could get them all to merge into a single page or perhaps create a Titan Bannered page (IE: titan efforts focused, but don't take efforts from titan's current endevours) and null the rest. I'm not saying that Titan should be the only one doing anything, but if we're not focused, then we'll look like children crying at recess instead of a community trying to keep it's most important member alive.
Find me on Homecoming:
https://www.homecomingservers.com

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2012, 06:44:24 PM »
I would even just use a generic "Save Paragon" banner or somesuch. People may be using the Titan resources to help organize, but the movement is bigger than just here alone, and we shouldn't alienate anyone who doesn't feel like they're part of it.

Soundtrack

• Boss
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2012, 06:44:32 PM »
Yes, that's a good point and I had thought about it. :) Guess I'm a day late to the party! ;)

I'm fine with whatever. Perhaps TonyV (or any other moderator) would be willing to make a "sticky" of some basic information so that we can all have it readily accessible. Such "basic information" would be our various "identities" on the Internet (Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, etc.); mailing addresses of the NCSoft CEO.

Maybe a "FAQ" type post...

Q: "What are our social media avenues?"
A: Facebook: www.facebook.com/SaveOurCityOfHeroes; Twitter: www.twitter.com/#savecoh; YouTube: www.youtube.com/whateverwecallit :)

Q: "What are the addresses of the NCSoft CEO?"
A: <insert addresses>

This way it can be amended as the case may be?

Just another suggestion. :) (Sorry to bombard with suggestions! I need to learn to shut up, but it's the Italian blood in me! ;) )

Had we thought of that in time, I would have to agree that's the best way to go.  However, since we already seem to be building momentum (people have already started saving bookmarks for pages and all that), I'd be good with two main sources of info in social media.

www.twitter.com/#savecoh
www.facebook.com/SaveOurCityOfHeroes *

* assuming that's the emerging frontrunning

Mister Bison

• Elite Boss
  • *psychotic grin*
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2012, 07:04:51 PM »
I'm fine with whatever. Perhaps TonyV (or any other moderator) would be willing to make a "sticky" of some basic information so that we can all have it readily accessible. Such "basic information" would be our various "identities" on the Internet (Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, etc.); mailing addresses of the NCSoft CEO.

Q: "What are our social media avenues?"
A: Facebook: www.facebook.com/SaveOurCityOfHeroes; Twitter: www.twitter.com/#savecoh; YouTube: www.youtube.com/whateverwecallit :)

Q: "What are the addresses of the NCSoft CEO?"
A: <insert addresses>

This way it can be amended as the case may be?
Already suggested, but you may want to keep information on a single place, and not put the address in the faq but link the "write to ncsoft" thread in the faq as an answer to "What can I to to show my activism ?"
Yeeessss....

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2012, 07:15:03 PM »
As an IRL step, I'm looking for a local source to have a button made of an icon I saw someone using on the official board. It's a simple Statesman or Hero symbol with a black band of mourning across it.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2012, 07:37:07 PM »
Obviously, we haven't had a chance to start compiling one of those yet, but it's a good idea.

Now, if someone else were to start that thread so that we could pin it... *wink* *wink*
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin

Altoholic Monkey

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2012, 08:54:38 PM »
Two shortened links for use on social media.

http://bit.ly/savecoh  - Links to petition page at Change.org.
http://bit.ly/write2ncsoft  - Letter writing call to action (links to Titan thread)

I created the links and if a Titan admin needs any tracking information, I'll be happy to supply it.

Stonehead

• Underling
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2012, 11:05:17 PM »

#SaveCOH works for me, its easy.
Something blindingly obvious that I just figured out: if you're tweets are protected, your tag doesn't seem to add to the trending feed.  I retweeted a Massively article today and added the #SaveCoH tag, but when I went to check and see what how many other tagged tweets there were, I couldn't find my tweet in the search.   After work I remembered I had my tweets protected from public view, and now they're showing up in fine. 

tl;dr
Using the #SaveCoH tag = good; protected tweets keeping the public from seeing them = not so good.

d

Tazhyngarth

• Elite Boss
    • Titan Network
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2012, 02:45:11 AM »
I ran into the same problem stonehd....I saw that I had my Tweets protected but could not remember ever actually setting that option.  Disabled it and now all is well :P.

Zwillinger

• Underling
  • Paragon Studios Community Manager
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2012, 06:56:25 AM »
If I were to run a Social Media Campaign, there are some things I would focus on;

Facebook is far and away your most powerful tool. Engaging your users and making sure that they're checking your page daily, reading other people's responses, and more importantly your responses, to your posts. ENGAGE them. Give them a personal attachment to your cause and make sure they don't become apathetic about it.

This means that you need to actively reach as many people as possible. But how?

You need for people to share your content, so you need to produce multimedia content. Screenshots, images, videos, whatever, it doesn't matter. When you share something that has a visual component, your reach immediately increases by 10%-20%.

On Twitter, it's the same thing. Don't just use it as a place to stand on a soap box and shout at people. Respond to them, thank them for their support. ENGAGE them (noticing a pattern?). Create evangelists who will go out and champion your cause.

Forums are great for your hardcore super fans. If you want to reach the masses and create more champions for your cause, you need to embrace social media.

But that's all only if I were to run a Social Media campaign for this kind of thing.

Which I'm not.