Author Topic: Social Media?  (Read 8584 times)

zoser

• Lieutenant
Re: Social Media?
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2012, 09:53:27 AM »
Even if Zwillinger was of course speaking entirely hypothetical, I think we should listen carefully and ask those of us who are gifted in terms of visual arts if they can provide more of this 'stuff'. There are many groups out there,all fighting for valid causes. This generates a lot of text people are asked to read. It is a big ask from a stranger to read a long article. If we manage to get said stranger engaged first with visual help, we are half-way already with getting our message through.

As you can tell from this, I am not good at being entertaining, but I know we have talents out there! :)

Zos

jacknomind

• Boss
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2012, 10:20:44 AM »
Hey Andy.  Thanks for lending your expertise to our campaign; it's a big help coming from someone who's worked in an industry coincidentally related to what we're trying to do here.

I'm trying to figure out how to reach our media creators in an effective way.  I can teach myself a bit of youtubery, but I'm years behind the experienced fans we already have.  Samuraiko is already giving it her all... well, hm.

And if anyone with a webcam and manageable social anxiety is interested in something I'm calling Project Big Eyes, drop me a line.

DancingBeaver

• Underling
    • Pure Boredom
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2012, 10:40:43 AM »
Not sure if this is the right post for this, seems the most appropriate.

Anyways, I have knocked up a small video for the effort to save CoH. Its a very rough cut for now and unlisted until I get some feedback and finish it (if it needs any major changes)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtohrH27lc0

Please be honest with any feedback you might have, whether the video is useful or not.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2012, 11:43:46 AM »
On Twitter, it's the same thing. Don't just use it as a place to stand on a soap box and shout at people. Respond to them, thank them for their support. ENGAGE them (noticing a pattern?). Create evangelists who will go out and champion your cause.
Appreciate the advice, Zwillinger.  I'm learning Twitter as I go, here.  :)
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Mister Bison

• Elite Boss
  • *psychotic grin*
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2012, 12:28:21 PM »
Please tweet and post on facebook (I don't have any of these): http://youtu.be/gAJlQ6o8p9g

If you see ANYTHING that must be changed, tell me A.S.A.P. and I take the link down.

Edit: posted the short link, silly me -.-
Yeeessss....

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2012, 01:24:40 PM »
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Mister Bison

• Elite Boss
  • *psychotic grin*
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2012, 02:02:28 PM »
Thanks, attention (thumbs..) kicking in fast, I hope it gets viral as intended.
Yeeessss....

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2012, 08:42:04 PM »
By the way, the Zero Wing video was picked up by the CoH Facebook page.   8)
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2012, 08:45:43 PM »
It was on the official @CityOfHeroes twitter feed (along with a few other #SaveCoH mentions) earlier today as well.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2012, 09:03:50 PM »
Back up.  @SaveCoH I can follow, and I can use the #SaveCoH, but will someone please read @SaveCoX aloud, as a word, not as initials?

That one might be sending the wrong message, since we're also trying to reach non-gamers and those unfamiliar with the game and its verbal shortcuts.  I hope I'm not the only one, in this group of people securely in touch with their inner 12 year old, to notice that.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2012, 09:19:05 PM »
I hope I'm not the only one, in this group of people securely in touch with their inner 12 year old, to notice that.
I'm in more of a "12-year old securely in touch with his inner 36-year old" situation, myself.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin

Altoholic Monkey

• Lieutenant
    • Repeat Offenders Network - Making the stupidly difficult easy since 2005
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2012, 11:24:43 PM »
Back up.  @SaveCoH I can follow, and I can use the #SaveCoH, but will someone please read @SaveCoX aloud, as a word, not as initials?

That one might be sending the wrong message, since we're also trying to reach non-gamers and those unfamiliar with the game and its verbal shortcuts.  I hope I'm not the only one, in this group of people securely in touch with their inner 12 year old, to notice that.

Let's be clear:
Twitter keyword: #SaveCOH
It is used to organize messages, it makes easier to search for tweets that are relevant.

Twitter accounts:  Have been set up by players and people are able to 'follow' these accounts.  I do not know if these are connect with TitanNetwork or not.
https://twitter.com/savecox
https://twitter.com/savecoh

You can Tweet your messages and include the keyword #SaveCOH.  This organizes your message along with everyone else.

For those are new to Twitter and want to read up on the basics:
https://support.twitter.com/groups/31-twitter-basics

Soundtrack

• Boss
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2012, 12:06:50 PM »
I hope this is the place which I should post this; if not, I ask that you move it accordingly, please. :)

The talk of YouTube ideas (over in the "Star Power" thread) prompted me to share an idea I've had for some time. I was going to post it there, but didn't want to derail the "Star Power" thread further.

I thought it would be great if there was a post (or posts in various forums... Titan's, the official COH forums, etc.?) asking the community to complete this sentence with ONE WORD:

"City of Heroes is __________________."

"COMMUNITY" "FUN" "ESCAPISM" "ENTERTAINMENT" "SUPPORT", etc. (I'm not married to the "one word" idea... it could be more than one word! :) I just thought one word would be more effective to the second part of my idea... please keep reading.)

Then if somebody with video editing (Heck, it could be a simple slideshow) were willing, they'd create a video which might have a first panel asking:

"What does City of Heroes mean?" or "What does City of Heroes mean to us?"

Then set to some music (it would be great to use some familiar music, such as a theme from a zone in the game, but that may infringe on copyright?), the video would just cycle through all the submissions, one word (phrase?) per panel. (Option: Each panel could have the author's forum ID or name.

e.g. "Community." - Soundtrack.

All the panels would have all the words/phrases used until the ending (each of these being their own panel...and maybe slower transitioning)

"Save the City that means"
"SO MUCH"
"to"
"SO MANY."
"#SaveCOH" (last panel)

Of course, it goes without saying that only serious or supportive words would be used in the video.

What could this accomplish? A couple of things:

One - it's flashy. As mentioned, people like flashy, shiny things.
Two - people will hopefully watch for their word to appear and share with their family and friends.

Anyway, I just wanted to put this idea out there. It seems like it would be relatively simple to do (I think the most time-consuming would be the person typing up each panel).

Any thoughts?

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2012, 06:09:34 PM »
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2012, 06:43:59 PM »
Now, let's all try not to have a nerdgasm here, but:

https://twitter.com/feliciaday/status/245571518036340736

I think the only possible response for that is... /e swoon!  ;D

Altoholic Monkey

• Lieutenant
    • Repeat Offenders Network - Making the stupidly difficult easy since 2005
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2012, 07:43:00 PM »
I hope this is the place which I should post this; if not, I ask that you move it accordingly, please. :)

The talk of YouTube ideas (over in the "Star Power" thread) prompted me to share an idea I've had for some time. I was going to post it there, but didn't want to derail the "Star Power" thread further.

I thought it would be great if there was a post (or posts in various forums... Titan's, the official COH forums, etc.?) asking the community to complete this sentence with ONE WORD:

"City of Heroes is __________________."

"COMMUNITY" "FUN" "ESCAPISM" "ENTERTAINMENT" "SUPPORT", etc. (I'm not married to the "one word" idea... it could be more than one word! :) I just thought one word would be more effective to the second part of my idea... please keep reading.)

Then if somebody with video editing (Heck, it could be a simple slideshow) were willing, they'd create a video which might have a first panel asking:

"What does City of Heroes mean?" or "What does City of Heroes mean to us?"

Then set to some music (it would be great to use some familiar music, such as a theme from a zone in the game, but that may infringe on copyright?), the video would just cycle through all the submissions, one word (phrase?) per panel. (Option: Each panel could have the author's forum ID or name.

e.g. "Community." - Soundtrack.

All the panels would have all the words/phrases used until the ending (each of these being their own panel...and maybe slower transitioning)

"Save the City that means"
"SO MUCH"
"to"
"SO MANY."
"#SaveCOH" (last panel)

Of course, it goes without saying that only serious or supportive words would be used in the video.

What could this accomplish? A couple of things:

One - it's flashy. As mentioned, people like flashy, shiny things.
Two - people will hopefully watch for their word to appear and share with their family and friends.

Anyway, I just wanted to put this idea out there. It seems like it would be relatively simple to do (I think the most time-consuming would be the person typing up each panel).

Any thoughts?

This could be another call to action...now that the #SaveCOH is trending and we're getting famous folks to comment/retweet.  A video response from the player base would be great.

Vulpy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2012, 07:53:05 PM »
Now, let's all try not to have a nerdgasm here, but:

https://twitter.com/feliciaday/status/245571518036340736

That thar should get some attention, too. Between Neil Gaiman, Our Lady of Free Advertising Mercedes Lackey, and this, we've probably got the geek cyberculture in the loop.
@Vulpy
Protector Server

Rae

• Elite Boss
  • Journo/PR: The Phoenix Project
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2012, 08:13:10 PM »
I had a twitter account for a long while, but never really saw the point in it, until I had something I wanted to share with the world. Then it all made sense. I guess outside of CoX, I'm just not very interesting ;)
--
@Vandellia
Virtue - Vandellia / Unseen Scarlet

Twitter: @Skybloopink