Author Topic: Call to Action: Thank the media  (Read 222442 times)

Turjan

• Elite Boss
  • You cannot kill a dream
Re: Call to Action: Thank the media
« Reply #500 on: November 23, 2012, 03:54:32 PM »
Not wishing to defend Nexon (because I certainly haven't so far and I have no intention of starting now ;) ) but I feel I should play Devil's Advocate here and point out that the timing of the Arenanet conspiracy events there doesn't necessarily mean anything. It's the same as saying "CoH went F2P - Nexon's preferred cash model - a year before Nexon and NCsoft joined hands. Does that mean NCsoft were kowtowing to Nexon back then by making CoH F2P?" The logic failure there is if that was the case, CoH wouldn't be being closed now.

CoH did go F2P and Nexon do love their F2P model..but two matching facts don't necessarily make a whole picture.

Of course it's equally possible that in this particular case of GW paranoia there might indeed be a valid connection.

The thing is, trying to second guess what NCsoft and Nexon are up to is like trying to work out where a car's going to swerve next when the driver's had a heart attack at the wheel...
The whole situation is looking so leaderless and desperate now that the wisest course of action might be simply to get the hell off the road until the crash has actually happened, and then call in forensics to poke through the wreckage afterwards for answers.

P51mus

• Boss
  • aka Pitho
« Reply #501 on: November 23, 2012, 07:58:01 PM »
That rumours been doing the rounds a while. I think it's been debunked, but like someone says in the comments, just because Valve said they'd rather self-destruct than be owned by anyone else, doesn't mean that Nexon aren't /trying/.

And just because they're trying, doesn't mean it's going to amount to anything.

Valve is a privately owned company, with over 50% of it owned by Gabe Newell, the one who has said he'd rather see the company die than be acquired.

Rae

• Elite Boss
  • Journo/PR: The Phoenix Project
« Reply #502 on: November 23, 2012, 08:10:56 PM »
And just because they're trying, doesn't mean it's going to amount to anything.

Indeed so :)
--
@Vandellia
Virtue - Vandellia / Unseen Scarlet

Twitter: @Skybloopink

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Xieveral

• Chaotic Neutral
  • Boss
« Reply #504 on: November 24, 2012, 08:54:25 AM »
Another_fan is rabidly obsessed with hatred for Titan. His posting history on the official forums seems to indicate he had a running feud with certain posters like Golden Girl. Something about a "Forum Cartel" or something?

[snipped quotes and links to make things a little shorter]

Unbelievably he actually called Black Pebble a NAZI!

1) I believe the nazi remark was a joke in poor taste. I don't think he actually believes Black Pebble has Nazi characteristics. (BP is a total sweetie!)

2) While I think Another_Fan was an obstinate jerk that talked out his back end, I can kind of understand why he would be so anti-Titan (other than his natural fondness of pissing in the cheerios of others)

Your hearts are in the right place but I feel that some information is portrayed by more vocal members as absolute fact and certainties not speculation and possibilities.

The ones that received information from the source may believe it but remember, the rest of us get that info secondhand it may have gotten garbled during exchange or something false from the get-go because the source made it up for some sadistic reason.

There's no way to prove or disprove these things unless:

a) it happens
b) we gain the ability to read minds of any and all involved with said information

Understandably, you want fans to be hopeful and optimistic that CoX will be saved/ that Plan Z will be everything they want it to be/ that NCSoft/Nexon and other baddies will get their just desserts but please, please understand that there are lots of "what ifs"  that could absolutely crush those possibilities. So be careful with what you say and how you say it.

Also, its better to take the high road and overlook the naysayers instead of egging them on or talking back.

The words and actions of a few are taken as a representation of the community as a whole. so make those words and actions something that the rest of us can be proud of. If you absolutely feel compelled to talk back, make it clear that its YOUR views, not those of the Titan community. Also, I feel leadership should be laying down some rules of conduct for activity outside these forums.

I am supportive of some things being done by the Titan community but I don't want to be seen as one that supports or participates in some of the more distasteful or misguided actions made by others in the community.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 11:54:34 AM by Xieveral »
?RSN = CKN(CRS.ROD)

RSN = GLR(EMP.MCL)

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #505 on: November 24, 2012, 09:30:41 PM »
1) I believe the nazi remark was a joke in poor taste. I don't think he actually believes Black Pebble has Nazi characteristics. (BP is a total sweetie!)

2) While I think Another_Fan was an obstinate jerk that talked out his back end, I can kind of understand why he would be so anti-Titan (other than his natural fondness of pissing in the cheerios of others)

Your hearts are in the right place but I feel that some information is portrayed by more vocal members as absolute fact and certainties not speculation and possibilities.

The ones that received information from the source may believe it but remember, the rest of us get that info secondhand it may have gotten garbled during exchange or something false from the get-go because the source made it up for some sadistic reason.

There's no way to prove or disprove these things unless:

a) it happens
b) we gain the ability to read minds of any and all involved with said information

Understandably, you want fans to be hopeful and optimistic that CoX will be saved/ that Plan Z will be everything they want it to be/ that NCSoft/Nexon and other baddies will get their just desserts but please, please understand that there are lots of "what ifs"  that could absolutely crush those possibilities. So be careful with what you say and how you say it.

Heh, that's just it though, while A_F agreed with other naysayers, A_F's grievances stem back to years before SaveCoH even existed. "Where was Titan when the devs did (insert atrocious change here)." Basically saying it was hypocritical for Titan to run SaveCoH when it wasn't there to save the game when it could have been by, for instance, having a torch rally when the game-breaking PvP changes happened. And yes, lack of action during these past events were cited as actual reasons for being opposed to the campaign. That's crazy talk. Is it possible it led to the game's death? Perhaps. But any one element of the game being changed doesn't affect everyone. The game shutting down, DOES.

It's like he was saying, "Because you didn't help me when my car broke down, don't even think of helping me rebuild my house that just got destroyed."

Quinch

« Reply #507 on: November 26, 2012, 03:32:40 PM »
Heh, bit of an old player, innit? Someone should tell him travel powers are Lv4 now.  ;D

BryanSnowden

• Minion
« Reply #508 on: November 27, 2012, 08:28:58 AM »
Seems to me to move the NCsoft Boycot to include anything connected to Nexon as well.

So much for Warface, though that's been looking increasingly sketchy for some time now...   :-\
I think that might mean Defiance is out too, but I could be mistaken about that one(?)  Although, being connected to "Syfy" has already put that game in the, "I'll believe it doesn't suck - and/or get canceled prematurely - when I see it" category.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 08:38:11 AM by BryanSnowden »

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!
« Reply #509 on: November 27, 2012, 08:35:42 AM »
So much for Warface, though that's been looking increasingly sketchy for some time now...   :-\
I think that might mean Defiance is out too, but I could be mistaken about that one(?)  Although, being connected to "Syfy" has already put that game in the, "I'll believe it doesn't suck   and/or get canceled prematurely - when I see it" category.
Hmm? Defiance is from Trion Worlds, partnered with Syfy, yes.
Unless there is some Nexon connection to Trion, that I don't know about, I think you're safe.

BryanSnowden

• Minion
« Reply #510 on: November 27, 2012, 09:24:17 AM »

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss

Clave Dark 5

• Elite Boss
« Reply #512 on: November 29, 2012, 03:05:46 AM »
"What you say is rather profound, and probably erroneous." - Joseph Conrad

Quinch

« Reply #513 on: November 29, 2012, 03:29:48 AM »
By pointing out War Witch's position as the lead dev in CoH? I say go for it.

Rae

• Elite Boss
--
@Vandellia

NecrotechMaster

• Elite Boss
  • is there a badge for that?
« Reply #515 on: November 30, 2012, 05:34:39 PM »
i think it will be a fantastic option if ncsoft decides to be non-negotiable with the coh IP

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #516 on: November 30, 2012, 06:48:40 PM »
There was also this. I'm guessing Amanda is Golden Girl?  ;D
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Rae

• Elite Boss
--
@Vandellia

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #519 on: December 01, 2012, 06:22:41 PM »