Author Topic: Star Power  (Read 68186 times)

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
Re: Star Power
« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2012, 04:46:24 AM »
I'm tearing up again, but this time it's not from the inevitable demise of my favorite place on the internet. This time it's from that inkling of hope sparking through.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

ryuplaneswalker

• New Efforts # 17,000!
  • Boss
« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2012, 05:06:23 AM »
Isn't the writer behind "The Dresden Files" a fan of COH?

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2012, 05:07:56 AM »
Isn't the writer behind "The Dresden Files" a fan of COH?
He keeps coming up.  I guess I'm going to have to go look up his work once the dust settles on all this.  :)
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Aurora Girl

• Underling
« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2012, 05:12:55 AM »
Also, wouldn't you think The Glorious Hickman would have some contacts in the entertainment industry he could sound the alarm to?

Terwyn

• Plan Z: Business/Marketing Lead
  • Elite Boss
    • Missing Worlds
« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2012, 05:16:28 AM »
Since I'm a graduate of one of the largest art and animation colleges in North America, if not the world, I can probably drill through my contacts to get them to dig through their contacts for any and all possible links to Dreamworks, Pixar, and Disney.

Failing that, I could probably ask someone I recently got into contact with who definitely has a connection with NCSoft.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction.
- Albert Einstein

http://missingworlds.wordpress.com

Zombie Hustler

• Elite Boss
« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2012, 05:32:42 AM »
I sent a couple of letters to editors at the OC Weekly, LA Times, and even a news tip to the New York Times. Probably won't amount to much, but if they get several emails on the same topic, someone might take some notice.

Going to try other local and national media outlets as well.

Hickman is a good suggestion. Has anyone tried (or know how) to contact him? I'm sure he must have heard by now.

Thirty-Seven

• Elite Boss
  • Keeper of the Sacred Number
« Reply #46 on: September 05, 2012, 07:57:09 AM »
Hickman is a good suggestion. Has anyone tried (or know how) to contact him? I'm sure he must have heard by now.
He has heard.

He's posted on the forums at least a few times since the announcement in various threads.  Toss him a PM on the official CoH forums, if you want to make sure.

jacknomind

• Boss
« Reply #47 on: September 05, 2012, 12:57:14 PM »
I tried to get in touch with Eben Brooks, composer of this hilarious song, but I'm not sure if I was successful.  He has this post up on his livejournal : http://ebenbrooks.livejournal.com/482165.html .

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2012, 02:15:55 PM »
Although I do not know Jim Butcher (Dresden Files) personally I can confirm he is a CoH player. ( I can also confirm that if I could write as well as he does on one of his bad days I would be a happy woman.)
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Valjean

• Lieutenant
« Reply #49 on: September 05, 2012, 02:39:19 PM »
For comic book writers, I know Mark Waid and Gail Simone used to play.

Jim McCann also still plays.

pandora114

• Lieutenant
« Reply #50 on: September 05, 2012, 03:10:21 PM »
Richard Hammond of Top Gear fame is a notorious geek.  @thehamsterscage is his twitter.   He did up a small webseries called "Tech Head"  That's the only UK celeb I can think of that could get behind this.  Don't know if he ever played but it's worth a shot

*gnaws on Black Gryphon shaped cookies*  That's it...concept time.

SithRose

• Plan Z: Lore Lead
  • Elite Boss
  • The Phoenix is coming.
    • Missing Worlds Media - Plan Z: The Phoenix Project
« Reply #51 on: September 05, 2012, 03:36:00 PM »
Although I do not know Jim Butcher (Dresden Files) personally I can confirm he is a CoH player. ( I can also confirm that if I could write as well as he does on one of his bad days I would be a happy woman.)

Oh hush, woman, you've been a mainstay of my library since 1985. :) You're in a completely different league, style, and genre than he is, but you're both two of my favorite authors.

I'm reaching out to the few people that I do have in my gaming circles. Most of them are much more LARP/PNP gamer focused, though, so I'm not sure how much impact they'll be able to have. (For example...I would really rather NOT see White Wolf making an offer for COH...)
Lore Lead for Plan Z: The Phoenix Project
Secretary of Missing Worlds Media, Inc.

Blitzwing

• Lieutenant
  • Boot to the Head!
« Reply #52 on: September 05, 2012, 03:53:21 PM »
I'd also suggest Tom Smith, 'The world's fastest filker'; he wrote and performed the official song for international 'Talk like a pirate day', and came up with a superhero-themed album titled 'The last hero on Earth'...every song on it(approx. 24 tracks) written(based entirely off suggestions for song titles based on superhero comic themes) in -24 HOURS-...it's said when he picks up his guitar, the stopwatches come out...and I've witnessed this 1st-hand at a few convention!

Also in the dementia(formerly known as 'novelty') music genre, I'd also suggest contacting artists 'Hot Waffles'(one of their members played CoH for awhile), Tom Rockwell(a.k.a., Devo Spice), Throwing Toasters, Shoebox of Worm Quartet, and The Great Luke Ski(the most requested artist to date of the 21st century on the Dr. Demento show).... 

jacknomind

• Boss
« Reply #53 on: September 05, 2012, 04:24:50 PM »
Ooh.  I got a very nice email back from Mr. Brooks.  He's really upset about this and he doesn't want to give himself any false hopes, but he definitely cares.  I invited him to drop by just to say hi; hopefully we'll see him around soon.

TomFury

• Underling
« Reply #54 on: September 05, 2012, 04:29:40 PM »
I apologize if this is a double post, but has anyone attempted to reach out to Cracked.com?  They've got a tremendous and rabid following (of which I am one), and their demographics' interests definitely overlap with the CoH community.  Daniel O'Brien and Michael Swaim might be sympathetic, and would be worth trying to get in contact with.

dirac

• Underling
« Reply #55 on: September 05, 2012, 04:46:51 PM »
I sent a message to boogie2988 to see if this travesty and our cause could get a mention.  If you do not know him, he has a pretty popular youtube channel at 200K+ subscribers.  He does some serious vids but many of you may know him as the raging gamer named Francis.  I will let you know if I hear back from him.
Sent via mobile Commodore 64.

blue storm

• Boss
  • #savecoh
    • Freedom Academy
« Reply #56 on: September 05, 2012, 05:08:45 PM »
I recently got back in touch with an old high-school friend of mine who just happens to be Marketing VP at Wizard of the Coasts and the former Marketing VP of Turbine... I wrote him a letter.
--

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #57 on: September 05, 2012, 05:56:23 PM »
This one only just occurred to me, but maybe someone would be able to get in touch with Jason Graves

http://www.jasongraves.com (blocked for me at work)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Graves
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Stagefright

• Underling
« Reply #58 on: September 05, 2012, 07:37:14 PM »
I was just thinking, how bout people that have rather succesful gaming-related video feeds? Names like TotalBiscuit/The Cynical Brit and the yogscast spring to mind (www.twitch.tv/totalbiscuit and www.yogscast.com and their corresponding youtube accounts). One cannot ignore the power of popular youtube channels these days..

Teege

• Boss
« Reply #59 on: September 05, 2012, 08:30:13 PM »
I'm friends with Robin Thorsen so I'll see if she (and Felicia) can lend a hand somehow. I just love how much support and drive we have as a community, it's great!
Keep fighting the good fight!

@Teege - Virtue

www.cohtitan.com