Author Topic: Star Power  (Read 68598 times)

zoser

• Lieutenant
Re: Star Power
« Reply #60 on: September 05, 2012, 08:49:02 PM »
Although I do not know Jim Butcher (Dresden Files) personally I can confirm he is a CoH player. ( I can also confirm that if I could write as well as he does on one of his bad days I would be a happy woman.)

As I had heard the same - there is actually an amusing story of him fighting the GMs (the rule-enforcing kind because they accused him of stealing the name 'Harry Dresden' for his character and GenericHero-ed him. I so wish that this story is true...

But I digress, I looked up How to contact him and it seems that this only works through his agent. I don't think that I write engaging enough to pass this hurdle, maybe someone with more talent might give it a try?

Apropos talent, no selling yourself short, Mer ... OMG, I just told off MERCEDES LACKEY....  *staggers off to hyperventilate a bit in quiet*

Zos

Jim Hague

• Underling
« Reply #61 on: September 05, 2012, 09:25:39 PM »
You know, the City community could reach out to Trion Worlds, who might well be interested in purchasing the property. They've got Project Red Door going, and microtransaction capability that'd support the Paragon Marketplace. Shane Hensley also works with Trion via Petroglyph, the guys behind End of Nations.

bizdev@trionworlds.com

publishing@trionworlds.com

Given that Trion's very big into the alternative game publishing idea right now, it's worth a shot.

ducklorange

• Lieutenant
    • Epic Duck Studios
« Reply #62 on: September 05, 2012, 09:58:58 PM »
But I digress, I looked up How to contact him and it seems that this only works through his agent. I don't think that I write engaging enough to pass this hurdle, maybe someone with more talent might give it a try?

Regarding Jim Butcher, has anyone tried to reach him on Twitter @longshotauthor?  Even if you can't get him by PM there, just directing a tweet or two his way?
Build demorecord files from your CoH Costume & Titan XML files! [http://demolition.mcuznz.ca]

Soundtrack

• Boss
« Reply #63 on: September 05, 2012, 10:06:29 PM »
I'm friends with Robin Thorsen so I'll see if she (and Felicia) can lend a hand somehow. I just love how much support and drive we have as a community, it's great!

Somewhat unrelated, but please tell Ms. Thorsen that I love her "Claire". It was her portrayal of the "mommy guildy" that had me roaring during Season 1 of the Guild. :)

I also love her and Felicia's cooking days. ;)

Juncyard

• Underling
« Reply #64 on: September 05, 2012, 10:56:45 PM »
All I can say is action is being taken and was started today.  Go out and rattle your turtle shells, finger your beads, spin your prayer wheels for my friend, and keep pursuing EVERY possible other venue, because we have no way of knowing which one will pan out.

You just earned yourself a lifetime fan in my son and myself.
Thank you so much for all of your efforts!

castorcorvus

• Lieutenant
« Reply #65 on: September 06, 2012, 01:06:37 AM »
I check the entire forum and didn't see this idea anywhere. Now, its just an idea but does anyone have the contact info for Tom DeSanto? He is currently creating a COH movie based on the Rikti War, maybe he would be interested in helping? It would help him in the long run when the movie comes out. For those who don't know, he was the producer for X-men, X2, and all three Transformer films.

Yes, I know its a long-shot, just humor the idea and help any way you can. :D

castorcorvus, out.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #66 on: September 06, 2012, 01:25:36 AM »
I was under the impression that Jim Butcher no longer played, at least not regularly.

Still, he might be sympathetic enough to put in a good word for us. I guess we'll see.

Vulpy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #67 on: September 06, 2012, 01:28:11 AM »
*Waves* You csn cross Mercedes Lackey off your list to be contacted, since I'm her.

Pleased to make your acquaintance. I don't read much for recreation these days--I have two textbooks on the bed beside me as I type this--but I might give some of your fiction a try. Thank you very much for your help, and the help of your contact!
@Vulpy
Protector Server

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #68 on: September 06, 2012, 02:55:48 AM »
I'll try and reach Jim through my agent.  Agents are ALWAYS talking to each other.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #69 on: September 06, 2012, 03:50:26 AM »
I'll try and reach Jim through my agent.  Agents are ALWAYS talking to each other.
So, what you're saying is you'll have your people call his people?  I had no idea that wasn't just something you saw in the movies.  :)
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

biomekanic

• Underling
« Reply #70 on: September 06, 2012, 05:41:51 AM »
This one is kind of long shot, but what about Vin Deisel? He's a gamer (20 year D&D veteran), and I'm sure he would understand how we feel. In a similar vein, so is Robin Willaims (Warhammer 40K).

Hmmm... John Kovalic (Dork Tower, and illustrator of the Munchkin Money Factory card game is an all around gaming fan. On a related note, what about contacting Steve Jackson Games and having our fight be mentioned in their Daily Illuminator. It goes out to over 100K people (last I heard).

The worst that could happen, would be that they say "No".

Vhailor2003

• Underling
« Reply #71 on: September 06, 2012, 08:08:25 AM »
Well, just crashed emotionally, picked myself up again and put together the following email to Gabe and Tycho over at Penny Arcade.

____

"Hey guys. Please forgive the rambling flaws of this message, it is difficult beyond words for me to write. For a long time I have read Penny Arcade, and I have always known you both to be willing to go to bat for a worthy gamers cause, and I find that I am now part of one that could use any attention you can give it.

I've never been what you would call strong socially. For a long time I felt certain I would never fit in or be able to cope with the world at large, and there were times when things got very dark indeed. However as fate would have it about 7 and a half years ago now I was introduced to something that profoundly altered my life. One of the few true friends I had convinced me to try City of Heroes.

At first I did not want to like it. It was a subscription game, and a thing that would need me to be online all the time. But as I started to play it, I found that it was unlike anything else I had ever played. It was not so much a game, but a world. In this world I found characters and stories. And behind these characters and stories I found people. People I could relate to. People I could talk to. People I could be friends with.I learned to create my own charaters, my own stories. I joined with my friends and their characters and their stories, and together we forged ourselves our own world, a shared narrative... a shared universe that was all our own. For seven and a half years, we poured our hearts and souls into this game, and experienced the best times of our lives.

And somewhere along the line I learned to take strength from that somehow, to be able to do things in the real world that I never thought would be possible for me. I made it through a few jobs, survived college, and even managed to do a face to face meeting outside the game. I know these must sound like very simple things, but these were things that were previously impossible for me. And I looked forward and thought perhaps there was more still that I could do, still more of my difficulties I could learn to overcome with the help of the game and my friends within it.

When I went to log in to the game last friday night, when I went to go spend time with my friends in our shared world we had spent the last seven and a half years creating, I was filled with optimism over everything coming. The advancements that were to be released soon, the new stories we were going to be a part of were already dancing in my imagination. It was a tremendous shock to discover that quite suddenly and without any warning or justification that NCSoft had suddenly decided to "re-align it's focus" and bury City of Heroes. Thank you for your seven and a half years patronage and all your love and support of the game, but you and your friends and your world are no longer required. Don't let the door hit you on the way out, and do remember to try Guild Wars 2. It is, after all, our newest and shiniest.

I logged on to find my friends and the rest of the game in stunned disbelief. We knew the game to be magnificent, fun, and innovtive. We knew the dev team to be dedicated and brilliant. We knew the game itself to be profitable, and it's outlook to be the brightest it had ever been. And we knew ourselves to be passionate and devoted fans. To suddenly have this thing that we loved struck with what amounted to summary execution without even the decency to tell us why or give us a chance to save it was beyond injustice. A lot of people despaired at the news. But others... others resolved to fight.

A petition went up to stop the shut down of the game, and already has over 13,000 signatures. Meanwhile a lot of us are gathering in a place called the Titan network, which has long been dedicated to City of Heroes, and are planning to do everything we can to save the game we love.

I know it seems like a long shot. Some corporate suit in Korea has decided to crush the world we love, and what can we possibly do about it? But I know the power of gamers... of we who are united by our love of the worlds and the stories we have experienced together. You two showed me that. Through Childs Play. And through Pax. And through every site that has nearly buckled under the flood of interest generated by a single link on your news posts.

Gabe... I remember you posting once that you'd burn down everything you had if it would catch people like this in the flames... people who think they can just stomp on others dreams... on the things they love.. that they can just throw them to the curb when they have no more use for them because they can't fight back.. Right now, NCSoft is those people. Tycho, I know you understand the injustices of the world too, and fight for those brave enough to be innovators, to make something unique and wonderful all their own. City of Heroes and all the fans within it is that ideal, and Paragon Studios the people behind it are the ones keeping it going.

Please... please help me. Please help us. Don't let the game and the world we have loved for so long die without a fight. If there is anything you can do to help, the command center for saving City of Heroes can be found here:   http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/board,134.0.html  and if you wanted to sign the petition or direct others to it and show that people that love games aren't just expendable throwaways that can be thrown under the bus when they're no longer useful you can find that here: http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/board,134.0.html

Anything you can do to help I would be eternally grateful for.

Joe Dumais
@Vhailor2003

____

Writing that... pretty much drained all my emotional energy again. But I bore my soul and didn't leave anything on the table with explaining the heart of it. They're both good guys. I don't know if they can help, but if they can... well. They've helped with a lot of amazing impossible things over the years.

judaschrist

• Minion
« Reply #72 on: September 06, 2012, 10:03:53 AM »
just pointing out that milla jovovich is a huge gamer. another one of those "long shot" deals but hey, who knows? :)

Liberties

• Minion
« Reply #73 on: September 06, 2012, 02:16:29 PM »
Although I do not know Jim Butcher (Dresden Files) personally I can confirm he is a CoH player. ( I can also confirm that if I could write as well as he does on one of his bad days I would be a happy woman.)

Heh... I would love to hear his reaction to the news.

In other people who play news, I contacted Tom Smith, the Filk Artist, I know he isn't A-List but he is the most popular stop on the convention circuit for a lot of folks, and he plays, or at least played enough to snag the tune from Atlas Park for his Super Hero Opera...

I hope this works folks, a world without heroes is darker for it...

~elvnsword/@liberties

darkskye

• Minion
« Reply #74 on: September 06, 2012, 04:44:15 PM »
All I can say is action is being taken and was started today.  Go out and rattle your turtle shells, finger your beads, spin your prayer wheels for my friend, and keep pursuing EVERY possible other venue, because we have no way of knowing which one will pan out.

Thank you, thank you, thank you

/em praise

darkskye

• Minion
« Reply #75 on: September 06, 2012, 04:45:35 PM »

Oh my, do NOT sell yourself short!!  You are one of my favorite authors, equal on my bookshelves with Jim Butcher.

The-Hunter-JLJ

• Bug Hunter
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #76 on: September 06, 2012, 06:11:08 PM »
We shouldn't forget webcomics. Right off the top of my head, Phil Foglio has been a gamer for years. While I doubt given the nature of "Girl Genius" that he could give a shout out directly, I bet he'd put in a good word for us somehow.

I can't remember the name of the folks who do "Blue Milk Special", but they've been involved in comics fandom and one of them has produced comics I believe. Seems like a possibility if anyone knows them. The fellow who does "Order of the Stick" is another hard-core gamer. I can remember a couple of other gaming-related webcomics, one in particular that actually did a few strips on CoH years ago, but can't remember the name other than there's a character on Protector (Star Geek) who I always wondered whether he was inspired by it.. but anyway.

Seems like a good time to make the comments section rounds, but if anyone reading already has been involved in the forums or comments anywhere that would have more impact. Not been one for comments or forums since I ran my own years ago, but I'll make an exception for this if there's nobody better qualified.

Zombie Hustler

• Elite Boss
« Reply #77 on: September 06, 2012, 06:23:03 PM »
Speaking of gamers, what about Aaron "Nodwick" Williams, who has done some CoH comics?

(I emailed him just now.)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 06:35:04 PM by jsmill@wans.net »

Blitzwing

• Lieutenant
  • Boot to the Head!
« Reply #78 on: September 06, 2012, 06:37:41 PM »
Heh... I would love to hear his reaction to the news.

In other people who play news, I contacted Tom Smith, the Filk Artist, I know he isn't A-List but he is the most popular stop on the convention circuit for a lot of folks, and he plays, or at least played enough to snag the tune from Atlas Park for his Super Hero Opera...

I hope this works folks, a world without heroes is darker for it...

~elvnsword/@liberties

Tom Smith has an ENORMOUS following in the Filk and Dementia(parody, comedy) music genres, and I know of at least one other Dementia artist who played CoH at some point or another...getting Tom involved could end up with some songs being produced and put out VERY quickly...that SuperHero Opera('The last Hero on Earth') saw all it's songs written in a combined -24 hours-...you want results, and results FAST...he's the Filker to go to.... ;)

Kennon

• Underling
« Reply #79 on: September 06, 2012, 09:30:30 PM »
I surely wouldn't call it star power, but I'm putting the word out to the couple hundred listeners of our A Game of Thrones cardgame podcast- 2 Champs and a Chump. I've been playing off and on since launch, with a couple of the part time hosts playing right along with me. I'm sure there's bound to be some overlap with the cardboard gaming realm in our audience. I know a few other podcasters, so I'll see if I can get some others to help out as well.