Author Topic: Meanwhile, in the Halls of Titan...  (Read 114775 times)

Ampithere

• Elite Boss
Re: Meanwhile, in the Halls of Titan...
« Reply #120 on: September 02, 2012, 02:33:31 PM »
I'd be a little worried with getting the i24 codebase as I'm not sure how finished it was. But it does seem a shame to let that all go to waste. Ideally, the license would include not just the game and server code but the development tools as well. That would allow us to at least have volunteers continue making power tweaks and monthly story arcs. New powersets and more complex content would be a long term goal of course, unless we got Paragon staff to serve in an advisory role so that we had some idea of what we were doing at the start. I'm not great at coding directly, but I have some experience using toolsets to make content so I'd be able to help there. In addition to donating all my extra cash of course.
@Rorn

Most recently active as Blue Baron

Guardian Server

Hyperstrike

• Elite Boss
  • SaveCoH!
    • So Super It Hurts
« Reply #121 on: September 02, 2012, 02:37:31 PM »
On a personal note:

Depending on when the Kickstart (or whatever we use) occurs, this might be my Christmas bonus.

Then my tax return can be my sub fee starter.

mugare

• Underling
« Reply #122 on: September 02, 2012, 02:38:57 PM »
Don't forget. In situations like this, you need a lawyer. If we have a lawyer amongst our ranks, this would make the situation much more doable. We need good structure as well--a leader who accepts responsibility for the group. We need to coalesce into a machine whose sole purpose is to win. This will more than likely cost money to do. Be prepared to get ugly if they completely refuse to cooperate. Find out what you can in a friendly and cooperative matter, but if that fails, know that you might need to bring the hammer out. We need to know the REAL reason the game is being shut down, and the person we REALLY need to talk to in regards to this whole SNAFU. We can't let them blow smoke.

Most of all, we need to come at them from a position of power.

Ampithere

• Elite Boss
« Reply #123 on: September 02, 2012, 02:42:55 PM »
Speaking of needing a lawyer, anyone know how to reach Arcanaville? I'm pretty sure she (? that's the pronoun I've seen used I think) repeatedly informed everyone she was a lawyer. Also, even if she isn't able to help with the legal end her posts about the math behind the game were always extraordinary. She could be a valuable asset in any project to keep the game alive and/or reconstruct it.

Also, I'm willing to pay for the hosting of an unofficial official coh forums. If some of the web designers here are willing to make it look nice and/or help moderate of course.
@Rorn

Guardian Server

Torroes.Prime

• Lieutenant
« Reply #124 on: September 02, 2012, 02:45:57 PM »
Also, I'm willing to pay for the hosting of an unofficial official coh forums. If some of the web designers here are willing to make it look nice and/or help moderate of course.

I'll gladly volunteer to admin and design the forums. How close do we want them to be to the current design and layouts on the CoH Forums?
Strength and intelligence make no requirement of one another. Power demands both.

Ampithere

• Elite Boss
« Reply #125 on: September 02, 2012, 02:53:19 PM »
I'll gladly volunteer to admin and design the forums. How close do we want them to be to the current design and layouts on the CoH Forums?

Probably pretty close, but obviously with less of a focus on discussing in game activity. The look and feel should bring the feeling of "City of Heroes Forever". So I would think that would mean preserving the current look pretty closely, maybe with more of an image background along the edges and top though.

I can't find the image, but all I keep thinking of is that picture of Statesman's coffiin on the steps of city hall. It seems incredibly appropriate and I want to make it my wallpaper but I just can't find the thing.
@Rorn

Guardian Server

ducklorange

• Lieutenant
    • Epic Duck Studios
« Reply #126 on: September 02, 2012, 03:37:04 PM »
Hi TonyV, just throwing my hat in the ring here.  I realize I'm probably the *least* active developer to ever be involved with Titan (long story short, real life smashed me in the face right about the same time we started to collaborate), but this isn't some niche-in-a-niche-in-a-niche app we're talking about here now, is it? This is the very livelihood of our alter-egos at stake, and you can bet I'll do any- and everything I can to help out.  My sister met her husband in Paragon City, for Pete's sake.

Feel free to Skype me - "epicduckmike" - if you need an extra hand on any PHP-related projects for this.
Build demorecord files from your CoH Costume & Titan XML files! [http://demolition.mcuznz.ca]

LowlyOne

• Underling
« Reply #127 on: September 02, 2012, 03:38:19 PM »
First let me express my thanks for trying to do this. My name is John Ransom. I would like to help if I can. If you need someone to volunteer as a programmer for the game I am the man. I currently work for GunWale Games http://www.gunwalegames.com/about.html. I have actually programmed for Cryptic Studios before on Star Trek Online. This was after CoH was sold to NCSoft so I never got to see the CoH code but I have MMO programming experience. I have an idea for how to consolidate the servers without anyone haveing to lose their character names. You can contact me at johnmr@ncc1701d.net if you want to talk about this more. Again thank you.

Ampithere

• Elite Boss
« Reply #128 on: September 02, 2012, 03:40:15 PM »
Alright, so I'm like an hour into searching for a good forum hosting site for the new official forums and I'm having difficulty. Anyone know any good places?
@Rorn

Guardian Server

stronae

• Underling
« Reply #129 on: September 02, 2012, 03:55:01 PM »
Hi TonyV,

I was thinking along the exact same lines when I was directed to your post. Though I am not a developer of CoH, I have extensive programming experience and infinite love for this game. If you ever do manage to get the rights/code/servers, and if you need help with development and/or game design, please drop me a line, and I'd be happy to help in a big way.

I can be reached at the e-mail: stronae at speakeasy dot net. (If you contact me through this, I'll happily share my CV.)

Thanks!

JMeyer120

• Underling
« Reply #130 on: September 02, 2012, 04:08:16 PM »
I would also help admin and help design the forum if you need help.  No problems at all. 

I also resell hosting through godaddy at www.touchoftech.biz   The prices are really good.  Just like godaddy's.  Matter of fact...get ahold of me and and I will make it even better for you.  Well us.  Oh heck..just tell me what domain name you want and I will pay for it and year of hosting!   :)

Let me know.  I am here to help!   :)

My skype name is jmeyer101.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #131 on: September 02, 2012, 04:17:11 PM »
Hey, guys, to all the programmers and people volunteering to help with the fallback project, hang out for a while and keep checking back. We definitely want to take advantage of all the talent we can.

At the moment we're trying to figure out the best way to organize the project and split up the work. As I'm sure you know, too many chefs working on any one particular piece can be counter-productive. So we're working on splitting up the work into discrete modules that can be worked on independently, and when that's ready we'll want to get some volunteers to work on writing those modules. Kind of a challenge to engineer something so big in a short amount of time but we're very driven and I'm confident it will happen.

C experience is the most useful, as we're aiming to make this beast as efficient as possible, since we won't necessarily have as beefy hardware to run it on as the official servers. But we'll need some external tools as well, so experience with anything at all can be put toward those.

Scendera

• Boss
  • Faith Manages.
« Reply #132 on: September 02, 2012, 04:26:02 PM »
I have some experience with EQ private servers. Might be able to help out with the database a bit, particularly npc creation and ability tweaking.

ROBOKiTTY

• Boss
  • KiTTYRiffic
    • KiTTYLand
« Reply #133 on: September 02, 2012, 04:41:33 PM »
More of an OOPL coder here, but I'll be willing to help however I can.
Have you played with a KiTTY today?

Gemfire

• Underling
« Reply #134 on: September 02, 2012, 04:43:03 PM »
Well I have no experience with dealing with programming or servers, I do however have experience in the world of dealing with Executive teams, business and marketing, although maybe not required in the short term with getting into the dealings of basics of the game running, in the future maybe I can be of assistance going forward. But of course I will do anything I can to keep the game alive.

MaidMercury

• Elite Boss
« Reply #135 on: September 02, 2012, 04:47:04 PM »
I remember 10 years ago 'Crimson Skies' was popular. I was a devotee.
After Microsoft abandoned it, dedicated players with private servers ran the game. You joined their websites to get permission. Same thing happened to StarFleet Elite Force. I missed the game in it's hey day, but discovered it  using peoples' servers.
I know these are probably simpler games...but I'm sure it's a possibility....maybe even run CoH with older issues to have less bugs to deal with.

I must have had 3 computer rebuilds playing the game.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 04:52:34 PM by MaidMercury »

Steele Magnolia

• Minion
« Reply #136 on: September 02, 2012, 05:04:01 PM »
I've no specific expertise to bring to bear, but you have my support and if it comes to the donating support you have that too. I once donated 'revenge' money to Samuraiko, I can donate for love as well.

Rain Maker

• Minion
« Reply #137 on: September 02, 2012, 05:04:29 PM »
Well, I don't often admit this, but I am an attorney, licensed in Texas. I do mostly real estate acquisition and eminent domain work, so this would squarely fall outside of my area of expertise. However, if there is anything I can do to help, please let me know. Your best bet is to reach me by email at matthew.a.murray@gmail.com.

Manga

• Elite Boss
« Reply #138 on: September 02, 2012, 05:19:24 PM »
Well, I don't often admit this, but I am an attorney, licensed in Texas. I do mostly real estate acquisition and eminent domain work, so this would squarely fall outside of my area of expertise. However, if there is anything I can do to help, please let me know. Your best bet is to reach me by email at matthew.a.murray@gmail.com.

You may indeed come in handy, *IF* we get past Step 1 (contacting NCSoft and making an offer) - then we may need an attorney to handle any final contracts.  Definitely thanks for speaking up, though, it's good to keep all our resources at hand.  :)

morganafiolett

• Underling
« Reply #139 on: September 02, 2012, 05:21:16 PM »
Just to join in with the other offers, I am a writer and although I've not done anything like this before I have an eye for canon and details, I would be more than happy to volunteer my time and the money I would have spent on my two accounts. I'm not spending money on any other MMO now.