Author Topic: Issue 15 - Anniversary  (Read 10857 times)

Catharctic

Issue 15 - Anniversary
« on: April 28, 2009, 09:10:01 PM »
Overview

Discuss!

Lady Thanatos

• Minion
Re: Issue 15 - Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 10:51:41 PM »
Missing: A number of Quality of Life fixes.  :P

I kind of wish the TF/SF was set for something other than 45-50. Redside is *still* missing a 30-35 SF.

-- Lady T

Shades29A

• Elite Boss
  • Cedo Nulli
    • City Info Tracker
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 10:15:13 AM »
well, i'm quite disappointed by the i15 announcement...
they've always been saying the next Issue was gonna be some big content bomb
but only 2 new TFs? and some faces and costume changes?
and some MA tools?

color me unimpressed ...
Wii: 3579 7589 2003 1962 .:. Gamertag, Playfire & PSN: Shades29A[/B]

Steiner

• Elite Boss
    • Steinerd.com
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 01:18:13 PM »
Dude, that's only tip of the iceberg stuff... they're going to come up with a good amount of content before they launch it. :D
~Steinerd

Catharctic

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 01:39:25 PM »
It's only the initial announcement. There's actually supposed to be story arcs that introduce the TF/SF, so maybe we'll see a few of those in the 30-35 range for villains. I agree with Lady T. They still need a SF specifically for villains in the 30-35 range.

I'm actually excited about the TF/SF being a competitive storyline. The only other place that has that in-game is Mender Silos, but Silos is pulled straight from the old comic.

They don't normally put all the QOL stuff in the initial announcement.

Did everyone see that there's no closed beta? It's going straight to open. Well, they are calling it closed, but all accounts will have access to it.

Shades29A

• Elite Boss
  • Cedo Nulli
    • City Info Tracker
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 01:56:25 PM »
if that is the case, i'm gonna laugh pretty hard at some EU players ...
in the last 24 hours or so, over a dozen ppl have said they were gonna leave, including some veterans and well-known players ...
just because the i15 announcement was so mediocre !

SaintNicster

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 02:15:07 PM »
if that is the case, i'm gonna laugh pretty hard at some EU players ...
in the last 24 hours or so, over a dozen ppl have said they were gonna leave, including some veterans and well-known players ...
just because the i15 announcement was so mediocre !
How many of them will actually quit, though?  Seemingly, the majority of players who do this will bitch and whine and never actually leave the game.  But they'll be sure to remind you at every single turn.  It's a knee-jerk reaction, and I'm sick of sicking them.

SuckerPunch

• Elite Boss
    • Titan Network
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2009, 02:20:52 PM »
I was pretty disappointed with the announcement. I was kind of hoping that I15 would be the issue that re-piqued my interest.  So far, it doesn't even give me a passing interest in re-subbing.

I'm holding out a small bit of hope for 2 scenarios:

1) What they've announced isn't everything
2) This is "it", but it's the first of a trend of "smaller but closer together" issues

Time will tell, I guess, but so far I'm incredibly disappointed with an Issue dubbed "Anniversary" being so incredibly weak.

Tazhyngarth

• Elite Boss
    • Titan Network
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2009, 02:43:55 PM »
...Time will tell, I guess, but so far I'm incredibly disappointed with an Issue dubbed "Anniversary" being so incredibly weak.

QFT.

Shades29A

• Elite Boss
  • Cedo Nulli
    • City Info Tracker
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2009, 03:46:49 PM »
Dude, that's only tip of the iceberg stuff... they're going to come up with a good amount of content before they launch it. :D

read the post above this one ...
that's the general consensus i'm afraid

SaintNicster

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2009, 04:22:25 PM »
read the post above this one ...
that's the general consensus i'm afraid
I-14 "only" had the Mission Architect in its initial feature announcement.  Granted, the wait time between issues was larger, so they could put a few other things in.

In the EU Q&A session Posi said:
04-28-2009 17:52:31 [Local] Positron: I15 is not a super-mega issue. We needed to get the stuff that's ready to go out near the Anniversary

Going out near the anniversary.  My guess is that we'll probably going to see some kind of beta before the end of May/Early June.  It's not likely going to be 5 months between the issues.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 04:29:13 PM by SaintNicster »

katsumil@gmail.com

• Underling
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2009, 03:08:38 PM »
I personally will just take it in stride. The game itself is still nice to play, even if totally hosing those who can only manage solo play. Red side has always had issues, so any attempt to adress them, be it new TF/SF or what have you is welcome. New faces are welcome, as it's pretty obvious by looking at the player base that some of those faces they have in there just aren't really liked by the playerbase.

Personally, I would love to see a re-working of the game so that solo players and casual gamers actually have a decent shot at having fun, not being stuck in uber-grind from day 1, triply so on Red side. I would also love to see some from of ultra-low graphics mode so the devs can stop this not supported, not un-siopported graphics chipset mess that is pain to play the game with, and almost impossible to play Red-side with (I play on my laptop, and the best I can get is 18 FPS, and the RAM, CPU and such are better than desktop)

But we shall see what they do, and see how the cards fall as they stack them.

SuckerPunch

• Elite Boss
    • Titan Network
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2009, 03:53:34 PM »
Well, I have to disagree with you there.   When I was playing, I'd spend probably 50% of my time solo, and maybe 25% on no more than a duo.  Aside from the occasionally very difficult room, mob, or something, soloing was never difficult.  Even on a Dominator, Controller, or Defender. It may have been boringly slow but it was easily doable.

I really can't fathom how you can claim they totally broke soloing for this game, unless I14 introduced some ridiculous new mechanics.

katsumil@gmail.com

• Underling
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2009, 04:14:39 PM »
They didn't totally break it, it's just significantly harder to play the game and get anywheres, or enjoy much of the additional content if solo. When solo you get smaller mobs, which measn lower xp, MUCH lower inf, and fewer uncommon/rare drops. I take the statemtn 'anyone can solo the game on heroic' which was told to me bya dev, and I have to laugh. They have made the game so that to really enjoy it, or get anywhere in a reasonable amount of time, you have to team. Part of it yes, is play style, but part of it is how they chose to make the game (tell me how a player is supposed to be able to get 12 MILLION inf by lv 20 without a farming bonanza or paying RL money for it) and address smaller issues with it. Due to my work schedule, I am not on at a regualr time, so I either take my chances (or used to) with pick up teams, or have to solo the game.

SuckerPunch

• Elite Boss
    • Titan Network
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2009, 05:07:46 PM »
I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.  I think that the game, on the whole, is plenty solo-able.  They've put in place all the mechanics to make it do-able, and give you additional rewards/benefits from turning up the difficulty and/or playing with a team.

For a "Massively Multiplayer" game, this approach makes perfect sense.

I understand the need and desire to want to solo, as like I said I soloed a pretty large percentage of my playtime, but I expect the devs to skew towards catering to teams in this type of game. If you want to be able to play solo effectively, an MMO is probably not the place to find that experience.  There's lots of offline 1-player console/PC games out there. Within that same logic, the devs have done a bang-up job catering to solo players.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2009, 07:09:06 PM »
I'd have to agree with Suckerpunch.  I solo a whole lot more than I play on teams.  Most of my characters are hidden from searches so I don't get random invites from people I don't know.  I know, that's odd behavior considering this is an MMO, after all, but there you have it.

But everyone has their own play style, and everyone expects something different out of the game.  I'm sure your expectations are different than mine, Katsumil.  I can't fathom why I'd need 12 million inf on a character before level 50, let alone at level 20 (unless you're going after all the crafting memorization badges right now, in which case I could totally understand.)  I've got a couple characters at 50 who still have the same SOs they had when IOs were introduced and they play just fine for me.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Steiner

• Elite Boss
    • Steinerd.com
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2009, 07:47:27 PM »
Any City Of... vet will tell ya. not about the IOs, all about the player.

This game isn't like other MMOs in its class... It's not about time played and about how well you play.
~Steinerd

Catharctic

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2009, 08:36:36 PM »
2) This is "it", but it's the first of a trend of "smaller but closer together" issues

I think this could be the case. Some people are even speculating beta will start within the next week or two.

I'm starting to wonder if they are really considering an engine upgrade with comments like these becoming a little more prevalent:

(From the Massively.com Interview)
Where do you see City of Heroes and City of Villains going in another 5 years? Will we see a City of Heroes 2?

I see City of Heroes and Villains still going strong and still getting content updates for the foreseeable future. I can't say exactly what will happen in the next five years, but I can definitely see City of Heroes still being a strong and popular series we'll be supporting. That's not to say there won't be any sort of sequel by then, but we're all really committed to the original game, so the locales of Paragon City and the Rogue Isles will still be filled with action.

We've heard rumors of a graphical update running around for years. Are there any plans to update the graphics in future issues?

We've hired some "Type-R" programmers (inside joke) to investigate and deliver this very thing. Stay tuned for details.

Bliz

• Boss
    • StudioBliz
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2009, 04:54:23 PM »
They didn't totally break it, it's just significantly harder to play the game and get anywheres, or enjoy much of the additional content if solo. When solo you get smaller mobs, which measn lower xp, MUCH lower inf, and fewer uncommon/rare drops. I take the statemtn 'anyone can solo the game on heroic' which was told to me bya dev, and I have to laugh. They have made the game so that to really enjoy it, or get anywhere in a reasonable amount of time, you have to team. Part of it yes, is play style, but part of it is how they chose to make the game (tell me how a player is supposed to be able to get 12 MILLION inf by lv 20 without a farming bonanza or paying RL money for it) and address smaller issues with it. Due to my work schedule, I am not on at a regualr time, so I either take my chances (or used to) with pick up teams, or have to solo the game.

I've been playing CoV since launch, so believe me, I can tell you about broke toons. Before IOs were introduced, I can tell you that by level 22 you haven't earned a third of what it takes to buy a full set of SOs (about 1.5mil) via regular missions. (Because that's what I did, several times.)

So if SOs cost about 1.5mil @22, why would you need 12 million inf on a level 20? (On the average toon, you haven't earned 1.5mil total inf in defeats/mish XP until your late 20s.) And actually, the solo player will earn more inf from mobs than a group, while groups will earn more XP. (Wasn't there a post some time back on these boards about someone making 36million inf in one level while street sweeping Founders for one level in their 30s?) Still, you don't need to farm, or market PvP to make good cash; just craft and sell the drops you don't need, or sell salvage for profit. It's not hard or time consuming; 5-10 minutes of your time each play session and you have decent extra cash. Certainly enough to fund an SO or common IO build. And only fools pay for inf with cash.

Now, I will totally agree that solo the lowbie game (from about 6-22) takes forever. The XP-gain to effective fighter ratio is far skewed against your favor, plus Mercy blows and I'm always ever-so-happy to be the heck outta there. I tend to make things harder on myself by not bothering to buy enhancements. I will often craft and slot what drops I get that are useful, but otherwise everything gets vendored or put on the market.

However, as a player since before CoV launch, I can tell you they've made the trip up SO much easier. Not just with the XP Curve smoothing, but at the very least, common IOs at low levels give you consistency in effectiveness, even when used very sparingly. (Remember being stuck in your mid-late 30s for ages, literally? The XP curve was so off you could level a new toon 1-30 in the same time it would take to get from 36-40.)

If you're under the misunderstanding that 'anyone can solo this game' means 'soloers are as effective/quick as teams' I can see why you'd be put off. But solo doesn't always equal fast. I see many players complaining having a hard time finding teams, but are completely unwilling to form one themself. Hosting teams is really not difficult; at the very least, you get a handful of relative level and do newspaper/radio missions in zone. Pick a mish, set a mish, people go. What's the big deal?
Liz

My City of Heroes shirts and stuff on RedBubble:
https://www.redbubble.com/people/bliz/collections/261901-city-of-heroes

SuckerPunch

• Elite Boss
    • Titan Network
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2009, 05:48:07 PM »
Pick a mish, set a mish, people go. What's the big deal?

People suffer from MSAD.

MMO Social Anxiety Disorder.  :P