Author Topic: The Shot Heard Around Paragon City - SCORE Public Release  (Read 271120 times)

VileTerror

• Underling
Re: The Shot Heard Around Paragon City - SCORE Public Release
« Reply #1200 on: April 23, 2019, 10:48:52 PM »
I think that what has the biggest impact for me in terms of gameplay which City has done right, while so many others are awful at, is the strength of Controls and Debuffs.  A Controller, Defender, Corruptor, Dominator, and Mastermind feel meaningful and significant in combat because there is a definitely and tangible benefit to laying down status effects.  The only other game where I felt that status effects were even remotely impactful was League of Legends, but that game has a whole host of other problems with it (not least of which is that its devs only care about their precious e-sports nonsense).

Further, I think the reason I wasn't too thrilled with City of Heroes PvP was because all the Control and Debuffs were reduced in effectiveness during PvP.  At least while I was playing, back in the day.  Not sure if that ever changed.

Of course, that's not the only reason CoX was so great, but it's definitely one of the biggest elements as to never being able to find satisfaction in any other MMO for me.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1201 on: April 23, 2019, 10:53:40 PM »
I think that what has the biggest impact for me in terms of gameplay which City has done right, while so many others are awful at, is the strength of Controls and Debuffs.  A Controller, Defender, Corruptor, Dominator, and Mastermind feel meaningful and significant in combat because there is a definitely and tangible benefit to laying down status effects.  The only other game where I felt that status effects were even remotely impactful was League of Legends, but that game has a whole host of other problems with it (not least of which is that its devs only care about their precious e-sports nonsense).

Further, I think the reason I wasn't too thrilled with City of Heroes PvP was because all the Control and Debuffs were reduced in effectiveness during PvP.  At least while I was playing, back in the day.  Not sure if that ever changed.

Of course, that's not the only reason CoX was so great, but it's definitely one of the biggest elements as to never being able to find satisfaction in any other MMO for me.

Well pvp was always a bit.....askew in CoH.  The diminishing returns of ish 13 horrified many die hard pvp players as I recall and I think there was a pvp Exodus of sorts. Then came the special pvp inventions which seemed to help.

I preferred Warburg for rep farming or else the arena but that's just me
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #1202 on: April 23, 2019, 11:43:08 PM »
I must say that if we are not getting a full restart of the game, then this definitely has my attention.

Hard to say what will happen.  Update no later today then 10 pm CST they said.

Personally, I would prefer a big server over lots of little servers.  I have 0 interest playing the game by myself with 5-6 people.   I've played good games that had small populations and it totally killed the experience for me.  Legends of Aria had potential but the fact it only had 60 people on it at a time took all the fun out of it.  As much I enjoy soloing, I don't want to be solo in the world.

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1203 on: April 23, 2019, 11:55:14 PM »

Yet another content free update.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1204 on: April 23, 2019, 11:58:30 PM »

Personally, I would prefer a big server over lots of little servers.  I have 0 interest playing the game by myself with 5-6 people.   I've played good games that had small populations and it totally killed the experience for me.  Legends of Aria had potential but the fact it only had 60 people on it at a time took all the fun out of it.  As much I enjoy soloing, I don't want to be solo in the world.

Well big and little servers are relative. Would a server set for 300 players be enough?

Max team size was eight unless forming incarnate leagues or hami raids
In fearful COH-less days

Zombie Man

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1205 on: April 24, 2019, 12:00:24 AM »
Just curious what the latest was about that. If sentinel files can restore archetypes, powers, selections, installed inventions, influence and crafted powers such as th incarnate powers, that should suffice.

The new server would have to be coded in such a way to allow an update from Sentinel. That has not been done in the past and it would have to be specifically written to mesh with whatever version of CoH is running.

So... unlikely unless your private host is a very adept coder... and willing to accept those characters.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #1206 on: April 24, 2019, 12:12:37 AM »
My plan is to start smaller with 2 systems, then see how many that can host - you see the CoH code was made for lots of smaller servers sharing the load.

So the equipment I had earlier is the final phase where you could get 50+ playing - hence the 10gb network connections internally. I would have to pay a bunch to get 10gb where I live if its even possible.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #1207 on: April 24, 2019, 12:14:10 AM »

I love Secret World but it does not scratch the itch that CoH does.

The one thing Secret World had over City of was the story. (sorry, just my opinion.) When the story was good, it was good. And when the story was bad it showed. :) Yea, I agree none of the mmos I played ever got me to play as long and often as City of did. For example last Sunday, I played 8-9 hours. In all my other mmos, collectively they didnt even break 4 hours or so.
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #1208 on: April 24, 2019, 12:26:29 AM »
Well pvp was always a bit.....askew in CoH.  The diminishing returns of ish 13 horrified many die hard pvp players as I recall and I think there was a pvp Exodus of sorts. Then came the special pvp inventions which seemed to help.

I preferred Warburg for rep farming or else the arena but that's just me

Hard to say, 300 doesn't sound too bad but you still may see a lot of empty areas.  Don't get me wrong I would take a server with 300 players over NO server.  But I'd prefer to have one like this weekend where no matter where you go you see people.

Shibboleth

• Boss
« Reply #1209 on: April 24, 2019, 12:33:09 AM »
The one thing Secret World had over City of was the story. (sorry, just my opinion.) When the story was good, it was good. And when the story was bad it showed. :) Yea, I agree none of the mmos I played ever got me to play as long and often as City of did. For example last Sunday, I played 8-9 hours. In all my other mmos, collectively they didnt even break 4 hours or so.

No disagreement here. Secret World's lore and story is mostly excellent. I just wish they could turn out content faster.

But nothing else remotely feels like CoH. Getting to play this past Sunday was like coming home.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1210 on: April 24, 2019, 12:41:00 AM »
Hard to say, 300 doesn't sound too bad but you still may see a lot of empty areas.  Don't get me wrong I would take a server with 300 players over NO server.  But I'd prefer to have one like this weekend where no matter where you go you see people.

Well going by the past weekend numbers may not be the most accurate as everyone was OMG COH LIVES
Excitement will drop a bit over time and some servers may be more popular then others. A lot of my pals played on guardian but most of the time for me that server had problems with lag and mapserver that I didn't get on the others.

I figure a server set for 100 to 300 should be more than enough
In fearful COH-less days

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1211 on: April 24, 2019, 12:42:16 AM »
The new server would have to be coded in such a way to allow an update from Sentinel. That has not been done in the past and it would have to be specifically written to mesh with whatever version of CoH is running.

So... unlikely unless your private host is a very adept coder... and willing to accept those characters.

Hm, then the alternative would be to take my sentinel files on by one and manually restore the alts one at a time.......that's fine
In fearful COH-less days

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #1212 on: April 24, 2019, 12:56:10 AM »
Hm well th y could set it where all veteren reward weapons and powers are given to you when your new alt logs in

But the point of the P2W Vendor is that it offers people a choice, and makes the choice as similar to what the game gave us as possible.

Better yet here is a question for those in the know as it were,

Since we have to kiss the old player database goodbye due to legalities (BOO),  has anyone been able to attempt a restore from sentinel backup and how did it go?  I remember codewalker once expressing concern that restoring some badges may not restore the power or costume piece it was tied to.

Just curious what the latest was about that. If sentinel files can restore archetypes, powers, selections, installed inventions, influence and crafted powers such as th incarnate powers, that should suffice.

Toss the restored alt a rename token a freespec, some tailor tokens and I suspect most players would smile.

If badges NOT linked to costumes and powers can be restored, even better.

As far as I know, the tool to import a Sentinel+ file was ignored after Leandro got the character database, since it didn't matter. He mentioned he'd have to find it, so it is promising. And they were obviously able to import characters from the raw database into their server, so some sort of character importing technology does work.

Also, the Senticon tool extracts costumes, so there's that, at least. https://cit.cohtitan.com/senticon/index.php (although an improved version is being worked on)
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Vella

• Minion
« Reply #1213 on: April 24, 2019, 01:09:07 AM »
Is this legit?

The Titan Network is in talks with NCSoft regarding a community-run City of Heroes server. Things are looking positive, so stay strong. We don't have a timeline right now, but we'll provide more updates as soon as we can. #SaveCoH

https://twitter.com/TonyV_CoH/status/1120855527175671808

Also re-tweeted by Leandro.

DeProgrammer

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • DePro Depot
« Reply #1214 on: April 24, 2019, 01:09:32 AM »
That's the real TonyV. It's legit!

Vella

• Minion
« Reply #1215 on: April 24, 2019, 01:10:36 AM »

Zombie Man

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1216 on: April 24, 2019, 01:16:32 AM »
Just great! Now I'll have no one to hate!!!

Adam Infinity

• Underling
« Reply #1217 on: April 24, 2019, 01:22:37 AM »
Are we in a time loop? No timeline, no updates (NDAs forthcoming!) Good luck TonyV, but this seems just like 7 years ago. I love Titan Network, but no faith in NCSoft.

Ironwolf, please invite me when you get up and running

Ultimate15

• Boss
« Reply #1218 on: April 24, 2019, 01:23:52 AM »
...Aaaaaaaaand the discord has officially imploded.
Viva la Virtue!

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1219 on: April 24, 2019, 01:28:14 AM »
...Aaaaaaaaand the discord has officially imploded.

Well th discord is great if there is a server running, but a lot of the people on discord have not impressed me. Way too much emo on it
In fearful COH-less days