Author Topic: The Shot Heard Around Paragon City - SCORE Public Release  (Read 271022 times)

saipaman

• Elite Boss
Re: The Shot Heard Around Paragon City - SCORE Public Release
« Reply #1180 on: April 23, 2019, 06:38:20 PM »
Personally, I'm enjoying this new game "City of Drama".

Abraxus

• Elite Boss
  • Brax on Discord. Play on Homecoming/Torchbearer
« Reply #1181 on: April 23, 2019, 07:16:10 PM »
I like to think that all this turmoil is an indicator of how passionate the community is about this game, and the prospects of playing it again.  However, as we have seen, passions can be misdirected when expectations are not met.  They turn to less constructive actions, like sniping, hurling accusations, doxxing, and blamestorming.  I understand it, but I also hope we can move towards having some trust that now that the genie is out of the bottle, things are moving at relative light-speed compared to where they were before all this started.  I think where that trust starts, is the emergence of a leadership team that takes control, says what they do/does what they say, and doesn't over or under communicate.  What is said has to be relevant, and factual.  Not speculation, not conjecture, and not knee-jerk in nature.  When all that starts happening, we will see the community come together.  But, that's just my .02 of a dollar's worth of prognostication.  :)
What was no more, is now reborn!

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #1182 on: April 23, 2019, 07:45:10 PM »
This is what I am considering for a home/small friend type server.

You need a minimum of 2 systems - one for the map server and one for the binaries but this is the cost for a 4 system clustered server.

$800 - $200 each Lenovo Thinkcentre M83 Desktop - Intel i5 3.2GHz (4570) Quad Core CPU - 8GB RAM -128GB SSD
$200 - $49 each HP 10GbE Mellanox ConnectX-2 PCIe 2.0 x8 Low Profile Network Interface Card
$100 - $25 each Mellanox Mellanox passive copper cable, ETH 10GbE, 10Gb/s, SFP+, 2.5m
$140 - Cisco Ws-C3560E-24Td-S Switch - 3560E

I am seriously considering try to set this up so I can play with administering the server and see how many players this could sustain. Believe it or not this is fairly powerful compared to what they were running in 2012 - I might add more ram.

If the code gets more optimized where I can run for under $200 a month renting a server - I won't bother most likely.

Odimodus

• Minion
« Reply #1183 on: April 23, 2019, 07:59:25 PM »
No clue about running a server but I'd seriously consider doing a personal setup for myself/family. I've no idea how/where I'd get the server files and whatnot though, I think they closed that link?

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #1184 on: April 23, 2019, 08:00:18 PM »
No clue about running a server but I'd seriously consider doing a personal setup for myself/family. I've no idea how/where I'd get the server files and whatnot though, I think they closed that link?
I think a lot of people have the i24 source but I would wait a bit.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #1185 on: April 23, 2019, 08:07:15 PM »
What I would like to see:

NCSoft sell yearly server licenses for "Official" rated server for maybe $299 a year. The reason for this is to allow tested updates for stability. Have a Cabal of coders who - Approve - the version for the licensed servers.

This would allow for documentation for installs and ease of support because then the server and coder folks would know what you have if its the licensed version. Trying to mesh helping people with 10,000 different setups could be a nightmare.

Garble

• Boss
  • Shy Weirdo
« Reply #1186 on: April 23, 2019, 08:33:53 PM »
Personally, I'm enjoying this new game "City of Drama".

Much like with past updates I feel like there's a lot I'm not understanding.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1187 on: April 23, 2019, 09:02:07 PM »
I'll just add this thought or two.

Prior to the shutdown, honestly, I'd lost interest in the game. I really enjoyed the "marketing" via Wentworth's, as it seemed by selling various IO's or recipes for 1 inf, I could rake in millions and eventually billions. But even that got old. Then, the Incarnate content came out, and it was really something special. It made my level 50 characters really powerful - probably too much so - as I don't think a psi/fire blaster should be able to solo Dreck. But, it sure was fun!

That said, getting to play this weekend...it was all I could do to stop playing and perform various tasks that are now routine without a game to absorb every waking moment of free time. I wasn't really aware that it was just a test run. I think I read it, but it never occurred to me they'd take it down so quickly. I figured if there was a C&D, it would take at least a few weeks before that would occur.

It was super interesting to see names that I remembered from the game, people whom I wouldn't know if I saw them on the street, but for some reason, have a lot of respect for them - simply because they played the game - and most played it on what I would call a "high level". (that's not a 420 reference)

A number of others - what they may have lacked in high level play, they made up for high level character. By that, I mean, they were kind, generous with their time, always willing to help be that last person to join a task force, even if they had to log off. Those were the kinds of people that I encountered more often than not.

Occasionally, there'd be someone who's in game actions were counter-productive (like leaping ahead on Incarnate trials while we try to snipe bombs and fouling the effort because they chose not to read or lost control of their keyboard to a violent kitten or whatever), but those were so few and far between, I had to think really hard to remember a bad experience.

So - no idea who Yuvi is, had never heard of SCoRE, and all the other stuff that's been going on until I saw something on Massively and was able to get my preferred archetype & power-set to level 11 before they pulled the plug. (ice/ice blaster, naturally)

It was a delightful treat for the weekend. My boss doesn't know it, but he's probably grateful they pulled the plug, or I might have called in sick ...for a week.

Whatever happens, I'll remember the excellent sound effects and the resourcefulness it takes to use the enhancements that drop, and combine them and save every bit of inf you can, because you know SO's are darned pricey for a toon that's not subsidized by previous level 50's.

So, thanks to everyone who had a hand in making the weekend - even if you're someone who just played a bit and came up with a clever name and back story! (which I took time to read this time around)

City of heroes, once it is in your blood there is no cure.
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

Abraxus

• Elite Boss
  • Brax on Discord. Play on Homecoming/Torchbearer
« Reply #1188 on: April 23, 2019, 09:33:37 PM »
And, for me at least, there is no substitute.  I haven't played too many games since CoH went offline, and the ones I did try, never generated the excitement I felt playing this game.  They were always poor substitutes for what felt to me, like the real thing.  Now that I have had a pointed reminder of what that felt like, I have completely lost interest in anything else.  That might be stubborn, or narrow minded of me, but that is what I feel, and there's no denying it.
What was no more, is now reborn!

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1189 on: April 23, 2019, 09:38:26 PM »
And, for me at least, there is no substitute.  I haven't played too many games since CoH went offline, and the ones I did try, never generated the excitement I felt playing this game.  They were always poor substitutes for what felt to me, like the real thing.  Now that I have had a pointed reminder of what that felt like, I have completely lost interest in anything else.  That might be stubborn, or narrow minded of me, but that is what I feel, and there's no denying it.

Welcome to the club

Marvel, DC, champions are pale imitations of CoH

WoW that game is too far along I'd feel like I was always catching up on o other players, also I find wow boring

Star wars also boring

Will not play any mmo that is Ncsoft now
In fearful COH-less days

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1190 on: April 23, 2019, 09:52:51 PM »
Even if the few hours are all we get at least it broke me out of daily agent network rotation on secret world legends. Now if only I could figure why i was doing it in the first place.

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1191 on: April 23, 2019, 09:59:26 PM »
Even if the few hours are all we get at least it broke me out of daily agent network rotation on secret world legends. Now if only I could figure why i was doing it in the first place.

I do mine for anima shards.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1192 on: April 23, 2019, 10:03:33 PM »

Secret world.....knew I forgot one...but then for me that game was forgettable.

City of titans., Ship of heroes, valiance are the three best hopes I have seen for taking over for city of heroes.
But they can't replace CoH in my opinion.  Should CoH private servers finally become reality, I'll still try the successors but I think I know where my heart will be.

Shadowkiss is an in development vampire mmo, that one has my attention as well but we shall see.

Should I get my own server running I may not care about the other games. Especially if I can make new powers and archetypes
In fearful COH-less days

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1193 on: April 23, 2019, 10:11:02 PM »
One thing about the recent test was the Pay to Win vendor....an ironic name, but one that could give rise to bad rumors about money being transacted

Perhaps calling it The VIP Vendor, or else program an option in to Ms Liberty that you can click on and reclaim the vet reward items like the axe, sands of mu, etc.

Or else set the game so that the vet reward powers are auto given to a new character that first logs in.
In fearful COH-less days

Myrmydon

• Minion
« Reply #1194 on: April 23, 2019, 10:14:57 PM »
I must say that if we are not getting a full restart of the game, then this definitely has my attention.

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1195 on: April 23, 2019, 10:41:37 PM »
Much like with past updates I feel like there's a lot I'm not understanding.

The patch notes are poorly written.   And why are they called updates if there is no new content?

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1196 on: April 23, 2019, 10:42:44 PM »
Secret world.....knew I forgot one...but then for me that game was forgettable.

The music is excellent.  The character animations, not so much.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1197 on: April 23, 2019, 10:43:01 PM »
Better yet here is a question for those in the know as it were,

Since we have to kiss the old player database goodbye due to legalities (BOO),  has anyone been able to attempt a restore from sentinel backup and how did it go?  I remember codewalker once expressing concern that restoring some badges may not restore the power or costume piece it was tied to.

Just curious what the latest was about that. If sentinel files can restore archetypes, powers, selections, installed inventions, influence and crafted powers such as th incarnate powers, that should suffice.

Toss the restored alt a rename token a freespec, some tailor tokens and I suspect most players would smile.

If badges NOT linked to costumes and powers can be restored, even better.
In fearful COH-less days

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1198 on: April 23, 2019, 10:44:28 PM »

Perhaps calling it The VIP Vendor, or else program an option in to Ms Liberty that you can click on and reclaim the vet reward items like the axe, sands of mu, etc.

VIP Vendor is a much better name even if the function remains the same.

Shibboleth

• Boss
« Reply #1199 on: April 23, 2019, 10:46:55 PM »

I love Secret World but it does not scratch the itch that CoH does.