Author Topic: The Shot Heard Around Paragon City - SCORE Public Release  (Read 270497 times)

CG

• Elite Boss
Re: The Shot Heard Around Paragon City - SCORE Public Release
« Reply #700 on: April 19, 2019, 09:58:53 AM »
Right.

I said it wouldn't be easy.

It's not.

In the end?  Being bitter is a waste of your time and you are above that.

We all are.

Thanks, I'm cured.

There was a point between getting the code from anonymous devs 6 years ago and last week when there was a conspiracy to keep the private server secret with enough time to make new ATs where scrubbing the code and re-publishing it anonymously was the right thing to do.  There was a point where the well-meaning people of SCoRE lost their way and kept this golden gift to themselves instead of sharing.

My bitterness will go away when I can play again.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #701 on: April 19, 2019, 10:03:51 AM »
or imagine how cheap you might be able to get a server from that era with the specs to run CoH?
Granted sometimes parts for legacy hardware isn't always easy to get but still...

You can get the exact servers that CoH was running on in 2012 for $700 for the frame and $60 for each blade.

The changes they are making will render this not necessary. When an instance was built the entire map and mission were held in memory, with modern processors and memory speeds this is unnecessary and so they are changing it. Once built you should be able to run this on 2 systems with i5 processors and 16gb of ram along with a 125gb SSD in each system and a second drive for a mirror if you want it. Something like this:

Cost $150 each
HP Desktop Computer 6300 Pro Intel Core i5 3rd Gen 3470 (3.20 GHz) 8 GB DDR3 128 GB SSD Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

+
$140 per stick - Crucial CT16G3ERSDD4186D 16GB 240-Pin DDR3 1866 SDRAM ECC Registered Server Memory

A setup like this would run 100 players likely quite easily. For a home setup for just you a few friends 2 of the base systems would do it. So you could run a home server of CoH for about a one time purchase of $300 - $400 and be just fine.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #702 on: April 19, 2019, 10:26:35 AM »
So where are we now?

Quoted from Discord:
 I'll have those servers for public for you sometime soon, literally installing windows on them now

Current build is based on the i24 code NOT the i25 coming today:

Quoted from Discord:
 That's scores source though, not what we well have when all this is done... Got to understand there is 2 sets of things being given, the source code, and a built distro. The distro we will get to hold us over while the code for I'm modified i24 gets completely scrubbed.   Once we get that, our version will drop to i24 and we'll lose the 6 extra years of dev.

kiario

• Boss
  • CoH Fanboy
« Reply #703 on: April 19, 2019, 10:32:16 AM »
I guess lots of people ask the same q. Days weeks or months from a first playable version? I look forward to installing the whole thing on my pc to play solo. Hopefully there will be a guide up. Got two stationay powerfull pc's so it should be ok. If not i'll upgrade them :)

Why was i25 leaked and not i24. What is the difference?

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #704 on: April 19, 2019, 10:41:11 AM »
They are putting out a playable version today - but it won't be stable.

What is happening is that the coders have the source code from multiple people. They have the game as it was at shutdown but no data for the game - no missions or characters. Then they have the i25 code from Leandro that will be out this afternoon - we told him to go to work and relax - I said I will take the blame for the delay.

The i25 SCoRE code has missions and character data + modified new code for different power sets.

They have the i24 source code and are working the bugs out of it so the server folks can run it faster and more stable than the original. A lot of the tools now are far more powerful than they had in 2012 - also the Atlas Park Revival maps according to the coders should be easy to install at some point as they are static. Also for the costume crowd - using the 2012 version of 3D max - some are already working on new costumes for the game.

So in a nutshell:

The servers will be i25 modded code and development will begin on the i24 source original to fix the spaghetti, update how it works and to enable modern tools for faster changes and better network code. It is quite fun to watch what is happening if you are a nerd like me lol.

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #705 on: April 19, 2019, 10:50:31 AM »
.... okay, I'm really going to cry now.  Because (a) dreams really do come true, and (b) YOU ALL LIED TO ME WHEN YOU SAID YOU WOULDN'T HAVE A SERVER READY BEFORE I WENT AWAY FOR TWO WEEKS!  NOW I'M GOING TO BE STUCK IN DUMB OL' PARIS AND MY FAMILY WILL BE GOING "LOOK AT THIS ARTWORK, IT'S REALLY OLD" AND I'LL BE GOING "WHY AREN'T I A SUPERHERO RIGHT NOW?"

;)

Seriously, this is the best possible news.

Castegyre

• Elite Boss
« Reply #706 on: April 19, 2019, 11:05:38 AM »
I've gone from being very disappointed to almost proud. I've said for years to anyone who would listen that CoH has had the best MMO community I've experienced since I started playing them in EQ beta. I like being proven right.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #707 on: April 19, 2019, 11:09:12 AM »
I think people just lost sight of the original goal.

Now that focus is back and the world is returning.

Belenus

• Underling
« Reply #708 on: April 19, 2019, 11:14:23 AM »

What is happening is that the coders have the source code from multiple people. They have the game as it was at shutdown but no data for the game - no missions or characters. Then they have the i25 code from Leandro that will be out this afternoon - we told him to go to work and relax - I said I will take the blame for the delay.

The i25 SCoRE code has missions and character data + modified new code for different power sets.

They have the i24 source code and are working the bugs out of it so the server folks can run it faster and more stable than the original. A lot of the tools now are far more powerful than they had in 2012 - also the Atlas Park Revival maps according to the coders should be easy to install at some point as they are static. Also for the costume crowd - using the 2012 version of 3D max - some are already working on new costumes for the game.

So in a nutshell:

The servers will be i25 modded code and development will begin on the i24 source original to fix the spaghetti, update how it works and to enable modern tools for faster changes and better network code. It is quite fun to watch what is happening if you are a nerd like me lol.

This is what the community was for helping accomplish a common goal :)

Ultimate15

• Boss
« Reply #709 on: April 19, 2019, 11:22:14 AM »
...Welp. Looks like I'm buying a new computer this weekend! This is almost too exciting.

Do we know anything about how log-in's work will work yet? Or is that still up in the air? I'm pretty sure my login for Paragon Chat is the same as my login was for City of Heroes... but I could be wrong?
Viva la Virtue!

summers

• Underling
« Reply #710 on: April 19, 2019, 11:25:37 AM »
I don't know how this went from "COH is never coming back   :'( " to "OMG COH is almost here  ;D " in just a few days.

What a roller coaster...!!

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #711 on: April 19, 2019, 11:26:21 AM »
For simplicity they are going to use the Paragon Chat launcher at first since it can already work.

Ultimate15

• Boss
« Reply #712 on: April 19, 2019, 11:31:45 AM »
For simplicity they are going to use the Paragon Chat launcher at first since it can already work.

Makes sense!

Does that mean all of our Paragon Chat toons will transfer over? Again, if not and/or if you don't know, I totally understand.
Viva la Virtue!

BitLoadR

• Lieutenant
  • <F6> <F6> <F6> ...
« Reply #713 on: April 19, 2019, 11:47:53 AM »
Does that mean all of our Paragon Chat toons will transfer over? Again, if not and/or if you don't know, I totally understand.

I'm just wondering how many people would actually be disappointed if they found out all their progress, all their toons, just everything from "back then" would not be available on the new servers. And they would need to start from scratch.
I for one wouldn't mind rebuilding my toons from scratch.
playing on Reunion as Star Jewel, Emberflair, Lumitia, Novaspark, Dawnshade, Mystfure, Ion Blaze, Heatstrike, more...

JadeWarrior

• Underling
« Reply #714 on: April 19, 2019, 12:02:45 PM »

Was it ever? - KIDDING!

The power of people in general, and this community has never made me feel more proud. We've gone from the darkness and there's light. What seems like a army of really smart people are out there now working away.

amazing.

Styrj

• Boss
« Reply #715 on: April 19, 2019, 12:04:13 PM »
Amazing it is.  I'll willingly take whatever is given, even if it means my PChat toons don't transfer over.  If that is the case, we will be making toons for real!!
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!  Infinity Server...

Ultimate15

• Boss
« Reply #716 on: April 19, 2019, 12:07:46 PM »
Viva la Virtue!

Crimson-Oriole

• Minion
« Reply #717 on: April 19, 2019, 12:12:02 PM »

Primus1

• Minion
« Reply #718 on: April 19, 2019, 12:34:41 PM »
I'm just wondering how many people would actually be disappointed if they found out all their progress, all their toons, just everything from "back then" would not be available on the new servers. And they would need to start from scratch.
I for one wouldn't mind rebuilding my toons from scratch.

If I want to salvage anything, it would be the names of those toons because if the database was reloaded, I'm sure my account would be in limbo and I wouldn't be able to acquire the names.
I have 3 accounts and many level 50 toons.
I don't mind starting over at all.  To me this is a rebirth, I don't need my old toons all levelled up. I want them at LEVEL 1.
Time to play the game again for the first time. I want that feeling again.

Garble

• Boss
  • Shy Weirdo
« Reply #719 on: April 19, 2019, 12:40:55 PM »
Before all this it had never even occurred to me that it would be possible to restore my old toons.

While I would love them, they aren't necessary, and I would likely spend all my time making new toons anyway (much like I did back in the day).
(that said, I did invest a lot of time crafting enhancements on some of my core toons)