Author Topic: The Shot Heard Around Paragon City - SCORE Public Release  (Read 270793 times)

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
Re: The Shot Heard Around Paragon City - SCORE Public Release
« Reply #660 on: April 19, 2019, 03:35:03 AM »
We're going to have to talk about that. Right now, there aren't any yet. I don't know the implications of us hosting that info yet. We'll try to figure something out.
i think it's probably better to leave that to other venues, such as the discord server and other sources. At most i'd suggest just offering suggestions about where someone could look for the info without directly hosting it. i would suggest updating things like the powers database to include the i25 build and the like, but not directly hosting server info. IMO, YMMV, CYA
So far so good. Onward and upward!

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #661 on: April 19, 2019, 03:35:54 AM »
I know that nobody has asked for a "vote" on this, but I would still vote "no" to such a thing.

Despite the whole Inifinite Rasa debacle, it's been pointed out a few times here and there that there are Legacy and Aion and other such emus of NCSoft games that have been in operation without ever seeing a Cease & Desist order.

If we want City of Heroes to likewise manage to fly under the radar then we need to give NCSoft a shred of plausible deniability when it comes to  turning a blind eye to something that everyone actually knows about, by NOT advertising the private servers on the most public face that CoH has these days.

Do any of these emus give the option to donate money to offset server/bandwidth and can they prove that no profit is being made? If so, more power to them :)
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

Kyriani

• Elite Boss
« Reply #662 on: April 19, 2019, 03:36:01 AM »
I'm curious. How is it going to be so much cheaper for these new servers than it was for the secret server?

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #663 on: April 19, 2019, 03:38:44 AM »
You know, I'm not going to mind one bit having to start from scratch.  Not one bit.   ;)

Well if it is your own server, then rebuilding your characters from scratch with admin abilities to restore your influence,  base prestige for base rebuilding and spawn IO's to store in base as characters level up will definitely speed up the process :)
In fearful COH-less days

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #664 on: April 19, 2019, 03:39:16 AM »
I'm curious. How is it going to be so much cheaper for these new servers than it was for the secret server?

I would guess a combination of newer technology and more people involved working on the code.

Stonehead

• Underling
« Reply #665 on: April 19, 2019, 03:40:11 AM »
Very exciting news - thanks to all those making this happen!

D

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #666 on: April 19, 2019, 03:46:12 AM »
I am also hoping for a good admin interface to toggle things like anniversary badges and events, but also to be able to make some "tune ups and adjustments" to certain powers and/or archetypes that I felt should have been done.

Looking at Energy Melee, Peacebringer and Warshades.....

I think if I were to run a private server I'd start with the first two months of DXP and make sure all anniversary badges are enabled as well as make sure new ones are in place to compensate for the shut down era and the new year....
In fearful COH-less days

Eiko-chan

• Minion
« Reply #667 on: April 19, 2019, 03:51:11 AM »
The $1000 price tag quoted was from 2013. Your desktop now is probably about as powerful as a server back then.

Well, not quite, given the specs of the server posted, but it was a VERY powerful server. Even today a comparable server costs hundreds to rent.

Kyriani

• Elite Boss
« Reply #668 on: April 19, 2019, 03:52:14 AM »
The $1000 price tag quoted was from 2013. Your desktop now is probably about as powerful as a server back then.

Well, not quite, given the specs of the server posted, but it was a VERY powerful server. Even today a comparable server costs hundreds to rent.

That's comforting to hear.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #669 on: April 19, 2019, 03:54:34 AM »

or imagine how cheap you might be able to get a server from that era with the specs to run CoH?
Granted sometimes parts for legacy hardware isn't always easy to get but still...
In fearful COH-less days

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #670 on: April 19, 2019, 03:58:27 AM »
So here is a question about energy melee, that be simply answered yes or no but if you want to expand your answer a bit that is of course, fine.

I'm thinking that for my own server, I would like to restore Energy Melee's  ENERGY TRANSFER power to its original pre issue 13 state and have it where in power customization a player can choose which version they want.

After all, that change was NOT that well received and while my energy melee characters builds were modified and the change accommodated for, it was not a change that I enjoyed overly much. But this way fans of the change can still have the altered version if they wish.

Good idea? yes or no?

Also Peacebringers and Warshades modified so that when created or respec'd they can CHOOSE to have flight or teleport as travel power, thus we can have teleporting Peacebringers and Warshades that can fly in human form without jetpacks and rocket boards or using squid mode.

Good idea? yes or no?
In fearful COH-less days

RruinerR

• Underling
« Reply #671 on: April 19, 2019, 04:00:49 AM »
So, one thing I am curious of, which I haven't seen mentioned, is, does this include City of Villians work? 
I saw that this was cut from just before the shut down, so I have hopes, but nothing specific ever detailed. 

Trying to figure out HOW excited I should be.

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #672 on: April 19, 2019, 04:06:18 AM »
City of Villains has been 'merged' into City of Heroes as the same product just before City of Heroes Freedom.  City of Villains and Going Rogue content would be included just like in Issue 23.  No changes needed.
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

Kyriani

• Elite Boss
« Reply #673 on: April 19, 2019, 04:07:02 AM »
So, one thing I am curious of, which I haven't seen mentioned, is, does this include City of Villians work? 
I saw that this was cut from just before the shut down, so I have hopes, but nothing specific ever detailed. 

Trying to figure out HOW excited I should be.

Wut? City of Villains is not something separate from CoH. It was never "cut" before shut down. Not sure where you got that idea.

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?
« Reply #674 on: April 19, 2019, 04:10:23 AM »
Will we have to pay a sub?

Private servers, emulators etc are free. Once people start charging it is guaranteed to get shut down so if you run into someone charging to play don't bother playing. You should instead find a server and do the donation option.

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?
« Reply #675 on: April 19, 2019, 04:19:41 AM »
We're going to have to talk about that. Right now, there aren't any yet. I don't know the implications of us hosting that info yet. We'll try to figure something out.

With all the stupid press this is getting from the change.org petition and blogs you definitely should not. For now people should use the facebook groups, and discord servers as a means of finding it. Until a website is started.

I mean if you really want to avoid that attention here I wold instead make a single post in the wake me up when there's news thread pointing to a discussion area (Everyone gets notifed) and then delete that post at a later time.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 04:27:53 AM by Noyjitat »

RruinerR

• Underling
« Reply #676 on: April 19, 2019, 04:26:46 AM »
The "cut" I was referring to was the state of the source code/playerDB that SCORE acquired.  I just wanted to confirm the CoV portion is included is all.  My wife and I stopped playing before it went free to play and due to life (kids) couldn't get back to playing before it shut down.

Dev7on

• Elite Boss
« Reply #677 on: April 19, 2019, 04:34:49 AM »
FINALLY!

It looks like if I can last till October I can play City of Heroes again!

Ignoring all the drama, this is all I ever wanted. I do feel for the people who passed before this could happen and who knows? I'm not back in the game yet, but I am totally jazzed and more excited than I have been since "New Efforts" was born many, many posts ago.

I have a buddy who wants to toss a couple of thousand to create a private server for us and I ain't mad at no one!

See you all in Atlas Park on the 1st Double XP Weekend!

I was waiting for you to finally respond about the news.

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #678 on: April 19, 2019, 04:37:22 AM »
https://discord.gg/QZFg3UK <--- This is an invite link to a City of Heroes discord server. It includes a variety of channels, including one for each server to help people reconnect with old server pals, and various ones for reminiscing and sharing CoH art and such.

I posted on reddit, the wayback machine archive of the server company the secret server was using has a working cost calculator. For the same month that the server requirements were posted (in a leaked screenshot) the costs are expensive (and about in line with what was posted). That's just the pace of technology... and it's possible that the server was just pricey, because it was chosen based more on location rather than price only.

Edit: Due to the migration of posts from "New Efforts" to this thread, the quote above no longer links properly. But it is unmodified, and the original can be found in this thread (I don't want to put the effort in right now).
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 05:05:59 PM by Felderburg »
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Stupid Fanboy

• Underling
« Reply #679 on: April 19, 2019, 04:40:04 AM »
I have been hanging out in the coding discord for City of heroes and they have a server up and are working on fixing many of the issues Leandro had.

It is estimated a server will be fully working by this weekend and a possible home Lan build in a few months. The normal home desktop is faster than the servers in 2012.

Soon is almost now. I wouldn't bother trying to upload the current files as they are being reworked to run faster and more stable. The new code will enable a normal $50 a month server to host around 150 to 200 players.

This is so surreal. I can't believe we're talking about playing again in this matter of fact tone.
Claws/Regen 
Triumph Server
Badge Hunter