Author Topic: The Shot Heard Around Paragon City - SCORE Public Release  (Read 270822 times)

Mister Hassenpheffer

• Boss
    • 3D printouts?!
Re: The Shot Heard Around Paragon City - SCORE Public Release
« Reply #640 on: April 19, 2019, 02:49:56 AM »
It's hard not to be bitter that this could have all been happening years ago.

Right.

I said it wouldn't be easy.

It's not.

In the end?  Being bitter is a waste of your time and you are above that.

We all are.

undeadsuits

• Minion
« Reply #641 on: April 19, 2019, 02:57:25 AM »
Just think

We could have been on issue 30 now

Mantic

• Boss
« Reply #642 on: April 19, 2019, 03:00:27 AM »
These special servers would have to take donations from people that OPT to pay donations and that would be solely for server cost/maintenance/bandwidth.  If any charge for special bonuses/features for players that invites a visit from NCSoft's friends Cease and Desist.

Profit or no, NCSoft's lawyers will be coming. Expect that. There are no rules of fair play that make IP infringement legal, so if you're going to run an unlicensed game server accept that it is a criminal venture and prepare accordingly.

If you want to incentivize contributions do it however you see fit. More likely you'll offend some potential players. Then again, the few you don't offend may be all you need.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #643 on: April 19, 2019, 03:03:13 AM »
Folks please give all credit to the coders and server people - they are working the magic!

Stop and think that what is being done now would not have been so easy in 2012 or 2013.

Leandro is also working hard to help and so are some of the SCoRE people.
Give credit where due. I would have stepped up if needed but these folks hit the ground at a dead run and are doing the work.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #644 on: April 19, 2019, 03:04:29 AM »
Profit or no, NCSoft's lawyers will be coming. Expect that. There are no rules of fair play that make IP infringement legal, so if you're going to run an unlicensed game server accept that it is a criminal venture and prepare accordingly.

If you want to incentivize contributions do it however you see fit. More likely you'll offend some potential players. Then again, the few you don't offend may be all you need.

If this will run as it appears right now you can host for 100+ of your friends for $50 a month.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #645 on: April 19, 2019, 03:07:53 AM »
Question for the mods here. Can we have  a thread to the new servers. This way it beats trying to locate them going here or there to find one.
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #646 on: April 19, 2019, 03:09:48 AM »
Ok once the source code gets released and the community is worried about NCsoft trying to shut it down can we let the M.A.D.E protect us from copyright issues so we won't have to worry about all of this going on? They did made on offer after they won the DMCA rule.

MADE is too limited.  The server would be in a museum where NO ONE can access the game outside it's walls for demonstration only, or in a single player mode that won't allow for multiplayer use.
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #647 on: April 19, 2019, 03:10:32 AM »
Question for the mods here. Can we have  a thread to the new servers. This way it beats trying to locate them going here or there to find one.

We're going to have to talk about that. Right now, there aren't any yet. I don't know the implications of us hosting that info yet. We'll try to figure something out.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #648 on: April 19, 2019, 03:16:58 AM »
Well a couple i24 servers are up but without character data or missions.

The i25 code will be out tomorrow and it is complete. The coders and server folks expect to have something up this weekend but a stable idiot proof product in a month or 2. One of the guys is going to work on a local lan client to run a small home server and he said likely 6 months for that.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #649 on: April 19, 2019, 03:18:42 AM »
We're going to have to talk about that. Right now, there aren't any yet. I don't know the implications of us hosting that info yet. We'll try to figure something out.

Thank you for answering my question :)
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

RGladden

• Boss
« Reply #650 on: April 19, 2019, 03:22:14 AM »
You know, I'm not going to mind one bit having to start from scratch.  Not one bit.   ;)

slickriptide

• Elite Boss
« Reply #651 on: April 19, 2019, 03:24:38 AM »

I know that nobody has asked for a "vote" on this, but I would still vote "no" to such a thing.

Despite the whole Inifinite Rasa debacle, it's been pointed out a few times here and there that there are Legacy and Aion and other such emus of NCSoft games that have been in operation without ever seeing a Cease & Desist order.

If we want City of Heroes to likewise manage to fly under the radar then we need to give NCSoft a shred of plausible deniability when it comes to  turning a blind eye to something that everyone actually knows about, by NOT advertising the private servers on the most public face that CoH has these days.

Zombie Man

• Elite Boss
« Reply #652 on: April 19, 2019, 03:28:44 AM »
If this will run as it appears right now you can host for 100+ of your friends for $50 a month.

How much would it cost to buy a hundred friends?

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #653 on: April 19, 2019, 03:29:26 AM »
I have been hanging out in the coding discord for City of heroes and they have a server up and are working on fixing many of the issues Leandro had.

It is estimated a server will be fully working by this weekend and a possible home Lan build in a few months. The normal home desktop is faster than the servers in 2012.

Soon is almost now. I wouldn't bother trying to upload the current files as they are being reworked to run faster and more stable. The new code will enable a normal $50 a month server to host around 150 to 200 players.
i take back my rather negative suspicions about some of Leandro's initial comments when the truth about the existence of functional CoH servers was leaked. While i still think the whole private server approach could've been handled better in general i really do appreciate the work that went into making it and it finally being released. Still not happy about NCsoft shutting the game down in the first place and it's hard for me to fully believe that the server code would've been released any time soon if someone hadn't spilled the beans, but that's water under the bridge at this point and i'm simply hoping to play City of Heroes again sometime in the near future.

Also i'd like to finally get my hands on City of Titans's first release since it still looks like it's shaping up to be a worthy successor to CoH, but that's all secondary to this news.
So far so good. Onward and upward!

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #654 on: April 19, 2019, 03:30:54 AM »
Sentinel+ was created expressly for this purpose. Will eventually an easy Sentinel+ uploader be added to the general "private server package"?

Despite the whole Inifinite Rasa debacle, it's been pointed out a few times here and there that there are Legacy and Aion and other such emus of NCSoft games that have been in operation without ever seeing a Cease & Desist order.

Don't forget Auto Assault... and we don't know that these emulators *haven't* gotten a C&D.

Edit: Due to the migration of posts from "New Efforts" to this thread, the quote above no longer links properly. But it is unmodified, and the original can be found in this thread (I don't want to put the effort in right now).
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 05:06:40 PM by Felderburg »
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #655 on: April 19, 2019, 03:31:31 AM »

But if this did happen years ago, the odds of NCSoft cracking down would have been greater then they are now.

plus with all the software changes that have occurred in that time,  recoding the game for the "idiot proof" installation that has been mentioned by Ironwolf should be easier now then it was then.  Also hardware has improved and a server now should be easier than  then to run the game.  Also with file distribution sites being what they are now compared to then, disseminating the final result for anyone and their brother or sister to rev up a server and play the game is also even better and with such wide dispersal, good luck to NCsoft if they try to crack down now.

However that all being said, if there were a way to have done all this back then it would have been great.  However I am not being bitter nor will I judge ScoRe and anyone that was on the secret server.
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

Adam Infinity

• Underling
« Reply #656 on: April 19, 2019, 03:32:41 AM »
I understand the need for discretion. But simple folk like myself would like to be informed in a simple and clear manner of where to go to play a quality version of the game. I don't want to be left hanging, because I'm not cool or savvy enough to figure it out myself. Please point me (us) in the right direction when people are playing. Thank you

Fellstrike

• Underling
« Reply #657 on: April 19, 2019, 03:33:19 AM »
I'm glad to hear how quickly progress is being made.

Be sure all of you working on all this take care of yourselves too though!

Also Adam, I'm sure between Paragon Chat, Reddit, and here lots of messages will be around once things are in a playable state. Just keep an ear to the ground.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #658 on: April 19, 2019, 03:33:55 AM »

That sounds wonderful
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
« Reply #659 on: April 19, 2019, 03:34:48 AM »
FINALLY!

It looks like if I can last till October I can play City of Heroes again!

Ignoring all the drama, this is all I ever wanted. I do feel for the people who passed before this could happen and who knows? I'm not back in the game yet, but I am totally jazzed and more excited than I have been since "New Efforts" was born many, many posts ago.

I have a buddy who wants to toss a couple of thousand to create a private server for us and I ain't mad at no one!

See you all in Atlas Park on the 1st Double XP Weekend!
AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!