Author Topic: Luke Cage season 2  (Read 7193 times)

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
Luke Cage season 2
« on: June 23, 2018, 05:13:54 AM »
Only four episodes in so far.  Pacing could be better.  It seems to me that Mariah got stupid, but I could be mis-recalling how she was first season.  I like the capoeira.  And I Like Misty Knight's development so far.  And the music has been good, even if it went on a bit too long during a couple of bridging montages.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
Re: Luke Cage season 2
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2018, 08:47:00 PM »
I've given up and turned on subtitles.  The Jamaican accents are just that good.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2018, 09:39:16 PM »
I've given up and turned on subtitles.  The Jamaican accents are just that good.

I watch with subs by default, and it's been amusing me how they frequently don't match up with the Jamaicans.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2018, 10:10:53 PM »
I keep subs on by default to support my speed watching. i'll be watching for discrepancies now.

Dev7on

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2018, 10:44:45 PM »

LOL!!! I'm on episode 9 and here's what bothered me
Spoiler for Hidden:
If Bushmaster is able to decapitate people why didn't he did the same to Mariah? He could've just kill her right there but, noooooooooo he decides to set the building on fire to give Luke Cage an opportunity to save her for the story to keep going. >:( These writers keep doing the same old crap and it's getting f---ing annoying!

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2018, 05:22:34 AM »
Spoiler for Hidden:
The fight with Bushmaster is just terrible. And they keep showing the worst parts in case you missed how far off the hits were the first time.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2018, 05:58:55 AM »
Spoiler for Hidden:
The fight with Bushmaster is just terrible. And they keep showing the worst parts in case you missed how far off the hits were the first time.

Spoiler for Hidden:
I thought the fight on the bridge was pretty good.  The earlier fight was fast and dark.  If there's a later one, I haven't seen it yet.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2018, 06:26:02 AM »
The one that gets videoed. I'm only through 4 EPS.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2018, 06:43:30 AM »
Yeah, that one may as well have been a still frame of an uppercut with a little head in the bottom right corner saying TOASTY.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2018, 12:59:45 PM »
LOL!!! I'm on episode 9 and here's what bothered me
Spoiler for Hidden:
If Bushmaster is able to decapitate people why didn't he did the same to Mariah? He could've just kill her right there but, noooooooooo he decides to set the building on fire to give Luke Cage an opportunity to save her for the story to keep going. >:( These writers keep doing the same old crap and it's getting f---ing annoying!

If you don't know why, you really weren't paying attention.

Mandu

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2018, 11:27:37 PM »
Only four episodes in so far.  Pacing could be better.  It seems to me that Mariah got stupid, but I could be mis-recalling how she was first season.  I like the capoeira.  And I Like Misty Knight's development so far.  And the music has been good, even if it went on a bit too long during a couple of bridging montages.

Mariah has always been that stupid. She thinks of herself as royalty and expects people to overlook her mistakes and jump at her command.  The music has definitely been much better than season 1.

Dev7on

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2018, 02:12:30 AM »
If you don't know why, you really weren't paying attention.

Ok....so....what did I miss?

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2018, 03:04:11 AM »
Ok....so....what did I miss?

Spoiler for Hidden:
Aside from Bushmaster taking many opportunities in the episodes leading up to it to mention how he wanted her to burn, right before he attempted the deed he recounted his tragic backstory about how the Stokes basically burned his mother alive in front of him and that very clearly gives us *why* he specifically wanted to burn her rather than just, say, decapitate her.

AmberOfDzu

• Boss
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2018, 03:09:13 AM »
I finished watching this. I enjoyed the story, overall. But the quality of the storytelling seemed much lower. The whole thing was disorganized and confusing. I felt like it was supposed to be ending several times long before the last episode. I think the whole thing could have been done well in half as many episodes. Also, sure, the music was good, but there was far, far too much of it. I don't watch genre series to listen to music. The best part was the historical depth of the story, and how this played into the motivations of the two main contending factions. Luke's motivation was a bit off to me - here I think they could have done a much better job with his character development.

Dev7on

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2018, 04:23:02 AM »
Spoiler for Hidden:
Aside from Bushmaster taking many opportunities in the episodes leading up to it to mention how he wanted her to burn, right before he attempted the deed he recounted his tragic backstory about how the Stokes basically burned his mother alive in front of him and that very clearly gives us *why* he specifically wanted to burn her rather than just, say, decapitate her.

I just finished watching the season and the show finally showed Bushmaster's backstory on episode 11.
Spoiler for Hidden:
Ok I get it now but, he didn't HAVE to burn her alive because of what happened to his mother if it wasn't for his stupid monologue. Also, the part when Bushmaster went full blown beast mode at Harlem's Paradise when he got to Mariah again he could've snapped her neck Superman style. Again, another miss opportunity.
I think this season is better than the first one because it learned from their mistakes by killing off Cottonmouth half way of the show and Diamondback. The only downside I have is that the show is predictable. I think the show had some some lazy writing in my opinion.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 05:34:05 AM by Dev7on »

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2018, 05:26:01 AM »
I just finished watching the season and the show finally showed Bushmaster's backstory on episode 11. Ok I get it now but, he didn't HAVE to burn her alive because of what happened to his mother if it wasn't for his stupid monologue. Also, the part when Bushmaster went full blown beast mode at Harlem's Paradise when he got to Mariah again he could've snapped her neck Superman style. Again, another miss opportunity. I think this season is better than the first one because it learned from their mistakes by killing off Cottonmouth half way of the show and Diamondback. The only downside I have is that the show is predictable. I think the show had some some lazy writing in my opinion.

How 'bout a spoiler tag? This show was dragging enough without me knowing what's happening later.

Oh and Luke before you call someone ignorant you should know that that survival of the fittest was Spencer not Darwin.

Dev7on

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2018, 05:36:28 AM »
How 'bout a spoiler tag?

Fixed.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2018, 06:12:32 AM »
Finally finished up, and I gotta say I really liked Bushmaster.  I didn't find the storytelling particularly disorganized or confusing.  The last few episodes did feel like multiple epilogues, though.  And what should've been a one episode cameo from a certain character went on a bit too long and felt awkward.  When I got to the end I was thinking I'd like to see more of Luke's dad, but I guess reality had other plans.  The only two things that are bugging me:

Spoiler for Hidden:
Shades' character arc just seemed odd.  His breakdown just felt weird and out of character.

Tilda's dark turn at the end felt purely like a contrivance to give us Nightshade.  Although, the weird way she kept calling Mariah mommy might have been a hint of madness.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2018, 03:50:23 PM »
I finally finished too. I liked it overall but they have really got to do some better editing. If something is long because of necessary content that's one thing, but these eps felt long because of padding. Though at least there didn't seem to be entire episodes that were unnecessary (hey let's confront Jessica's mother again), but it's yet another season that would have been better with fewer or shorter episodes and tighter storytelling.

Spoiler for Hidden:
What kinda bugged me is that Bushmaster has all these underworld connections but he can't get some body armor or at least a vest? Maybe use the rare flower concoction as a backup?

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2018, 04:31:17 AM »
Someone needs to introduce him to Dapper Dan...