Author Topic: Statesman is Back... in MXM  (Read 40079 times)

Manga

• Elite Boss
Re: Statesman is Back... in MXM
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2017, 01:46:02 PM »
May it die a sad, lonely death, costing NCSoft lots and lots and lots of money.

That's a near certainty, since the most important thing the adding Statesman to the game indicates is that they don't understand their own player base.

Also, the MOBA market was saturated even before the game they're trying to copy (Overwatch) came out.

FlyingCarcass

• Elite Boss
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2017, 04:08:10 PM »
On the plus side, by adding Statesman to their game, they can reuse the same sunset image they used for the CoH forums when MxM flops.

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2017, 05:04:22 PM »
I'd even be willing to bet that City of Titans is now in jeopardy of having actions taken against it and get removed.

From what I understand with "Plan Z" games is that they gone out of their way NOT to incorporate any CoH Lore or systems in their game.  NCSoft can't sue other superhero MMO games for merely 'existing'.  If the "New Efforts!" talks were successful, then they'd be allow to stitch in CoH Lore and references into their game with permission, but they'd still make their games a different product for the most part.

If the talks are fruitless or fall apart, then full speed ahead with the original plan.  City of Titans, Heroes & Villains, Valiance Online all continue as they were.  Nothing changes.

APR on the other hand... I think this thread says it all.  Without New Efforts succeeding, they might have a problem.
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

duane

• Elite Boss
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2017, 09:10:30 PM »
reagardless....

Nothing has changed from last week.

COH is gone
COH Community is still passionate about the game
NCSoft remains aloof and clueless
the spiritual successors inch closer to 2018.

.....and thanks to all those known and unknown who have tried to wrangle the game and/or IP out of NCsoft.  Thank you for trying.

Surelle

« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2017, 01:47:59 AM »
reagardless....

Nothing has changed from last week.

COH is gone
COH Community is still passionate about the game
NCSoft remains aloof and clueless
the spiritual successors inch closer to 2018.

.....and thanks to all those known and unknown who have tried to wrangle the game and/or IP out of NCsoft.  Thank you for trying.

Definitely, especially that last part.   :)  We're no worse off than ever, we still have Paragon Chat and CoT, Ship of Heroes, etc. to look forward to trying, and it was still a valiant effort on ALL the Hail Mary Teams' parts (and Paragon Studios',too) to try and bring our fav shuttered MMO back to life.  Thanks from the bottom of my heart to all those who tried!

crashpositron

• Elite Boss
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2017, 06:19:49 PM »
They got Statesman!  Who is next?!

RybackStun

• Minion
  • NT-Flamer
« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2017, 04:49:19 AM »
I 100% believe that this was not done out of malice.

It was 100% done out of misguided intentions and pure stupidity.

That said, there's no way they get anywhere close to the benefit they think they will get. As it stands, HotS, Dota2, LoL, and Smite are the 4 biggest MOBAs on the market and all the others are leagues below them. While I do hope it crashes and burns on them, I hope it's not before someone grabs the voice lines so we can at least hear what Matt Mercer can do in the role.

Anyway, NCSoft makes stupid decision, in other news Water is Wet.
Missing this great game.

princezilla

• Boss
« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2017, 09:53:52 PM »
To those talking about the IP lapsing, that would only apply if they were licensing it to someone else but they aren't because they own it. The two most likely scenarios from a pure business point of view are that they were trying to draw back old CoX players with nostalgia with maybe a dose of throwing the fandom a bone, or that they were testing the waters in a low risk method to see how much power and appeal the IP still has before investing in a risky more costly project with it. The latter scenario is extremely common in the entertainment industry while the former would have been highly misguided though not malicious.

What both really sell is that the company is finally realizing they screwed the pooch with the handling of Paragon studios and it's closure. Is that to little to late? Maybe but it does mean that they are starting to give under pressure and trying to appease their critics which changes a lot about how they have been operating up till this point which had largely been to ignore everything and hope people would forget about it.

However it does pretty much torpedo any chance of them selling off the IP and the explosive negative reaction is going to be a PR nightmare for a company already struggling with it's reputation. It has also made CoH big news again and the overwhelming narrative of that news is 'the game still has a lot of fans and they are still pissed" so this is probably a good thing, just not for Ncsoft.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 11:02:45 PM by princezilla »

RybackStun

• Minion
  • NT-Flamer
« Reply #48 on: April 01, 2017, 03:44:06 AM »
I've come to the decision that I'm gonna give this a shot. I'm a fan of MOBAs and I'm a fan of States (and Tyrant).

If I have to pay to get States, I'll cut the game loose and warn everyone else to stay away.
If not, I'll just play States.
Missing this great game.

Samuraiko

• Honorary Paragon Dev and
  • Elite Boss
  • EVERYONE LOOK AWESOME - I'M FILMING!
    • The Wandering Crane
« Reply #49 on: April 01, 2017, 06:34:05 AM »
Not sure anyone has put up the B Roll gameplay footage that was supplied to media yet - where you can here Matt Mercer's voice acting for Statesman... I'll see what I can throw together this evening with it (probably throw some CoH tracks on it as background music and call it a day)

My fricking phone nearly exploded when the news of this first got out. Marcian Tobay, Warcabbit, and Dedlok were the first, and then the floodgates opened.

My later response on Twitter was... colourful, to say the least.

The funny thing is, if I were gonna voice cast Matt Mercer as anyone in the game, it'd have been as Positron. He doesn't QUITE pull off the gravitas for Statesman (and believe you me, I respect the hell out of Matt's talents). But someone do post the B roll footage, just coz I always like hearing Matt.

And oh, the Atlas Park music. *sighs*
The game may be gone, but the videos are still here...
http://www.youtube.com/samuraiko
http://cohtube.blogspot.com

RybackStun

• Minion
  • NT-Flamer
« Reply #50 on: April 01, 2017, 07:21:08 AM »
My fricking phone nearly exploded when the news of this first got out. Marcian Tobay, Warcabbit, and Dedlok were the first, and then the floodgates opened.

My later response on Twitter was... colourful, to say the least.

The funny thing is, if I were gonna voice cast Matt Mercer as anyone in the game, it'd have been as Positron. He doesn't QUITE pull off the gravitas for Statesman (and believe you me, I respect the hell out of Matt's talents). But someone do post the B roll footage, just coz I always like hearing Matt.

And oh, the Atlas Park music. *sighs*

This is the Teaser

https://youtu.be/ra7O7LqNh5w

This is the Power Preview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsCyzTkOunY

The powers look fairly accurate honestly. And the thing here about the difference between what Matt can and can't do, he's not really playing Statesman, at least not the one we knew and loved. I definitely feel Mercer can take on the role of our favorite Evil Emperor ;)

Think of it as the difference between Kevin Conroy's Batman and James Woods' Owlman :D
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 07:28:28 AM by ross134 »
Missing this great game.

LateNights

• Elite Boss
« Reply #51 on: April 01, 2017, 08:40:54 AM »
I 100% believe that this was not done out of malice...

Sad to think the efforts to save CoH may have contributed in some way.

Easy to see why people are upset...

MGLZadok

• Minion
« Reply #52 on: April 02, 2017, 05:21:56 AM »
Level 50s (Triumph)
Cybot 27 - Claws/Willpower Scrapper
Thelesis - Mind Control/Electricity Assault Dominator
Al'pha - Arachnos Crab Soldier
Damien Zadok - Soldiers/Pain Domination Mastermind

madvyking

• Minion
« Reply #53 on: April 02, 2017, 02:52:23 PM »
I offer a different view.

What i see is what I call  the Nintendo Protection Act.

How do you protect your IP

Put them in a fighting game

Examples: Super Smash Brothers and Marvel vs. Capcom

All i know is this: I always hear  some don't go Paragon chat or remember the anniversaries because they don't want to go to a second funeral.....well consider this a a second funeral. The IP is staying in NCSoft.

cmgangrel

• Elite Boss
« Reply #54 on: April 03, 2017, 01:21:27 PM »
She's absolutely right, though.  That's not the spirit of the City of Heroes community.  That's probably because NCSoft killed the City of Heroes community.  Now the spirit, at least partly, wants justice.

I knew of several Tabula Rasa players who wished the same when they had THEIR game closed down. So that would have been the closure of City of Heroes. Now, what is your opinion of those players who wished the death of a company and taking with it a game that YOU loved...

Some might say (spitefully) that those players are getting their wish slowly but surely.

So if you want to blame some one, why not the TR players ;)

FlyingCarcass

• Elite Boss
« Reply #55 on: April 03, 2017, 11:46:22 PM »
I offer a different view.

What i see is what I call  the Nintendo Protection Act.

How do you protect your IP

Put them in a fighting game

Examples: Super Smash Brothers and Marvel vs. Capcom

All i know is this: I always hear  some don't go Paragon chat or remember the anniversaries because they don't want to go to a second funeral.....well consider this a a second funeral. The IP is staying in NCSoft.

Hey, Smash Bros. rocks and Marvel X Capcom has many fans. Heck, I'd love a City of Heroes fighting game... ooh, maybe with CoH's character customization!? (*drools over the idea of a game that will never happen*)

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2017, 04:08:28 AM »
She's absolutely right, though.  That's not the spirit of the City of Heroes community.  That's probably because NCSoft killed the City of Heroes community.  Now the spirit, at least partly, wants justice.

I politely disagree.

Stop in that Friday, and see how alive it really is.

RybackStun

• Minion
  • NT-Flamer
« Reply #57 on: April 05, 2017, 01:27:14 AM »
I politely disagree.

Stop in that Friday, and see how alive it really is.

I don't think that Zadok meant that NCSoft killed the community literally, but what NCSoft would consider as a non-hostile entity of support for their company. Hence the "Spirt wants Justice" segment.
Missing this great game.

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #58 on: April 05, 2017, 02:59:31 AM »
Sorry, shameless plug moment.  Carry on. :)

PseudoCool

• Underling
« Reply #59 on: April 06, 2017, 06:48:01 AM »
Everyone probably doesn't know who I am.. I don't post often here.. but I do keep tabs on things and how stuff is moving forward with the successors..  so I'll drop my dime here for once.

First off.. I was one of the Tabula Rasa players that got the shaft.. annoyingly so.  Loved that game, so decided "well.. ncsoft can't be that bad, maybe it's just a cultural thing?"...

I started in alpha test for CoH.. then beta testing CoH.. and had a blast.  I literally DROOLED when the launch came.. I was in game the DAY it went live.  Over the years I'd drift back and forth, depending on what the rest of my world was doing at the time.

I can vividly recall calling in sick to work (thank god I don't have those jobs anymore and can admit it now!) when just about every major update went live.
I can vividly recall getting into the global chat and asking if anyone wanted to watch my defender solo Kraken (and got Dev's asking questions while I did)..
I can vividly recall spending 5 days off with NO SLEEP trying to beat the Dr. Quaterfield TF with like.. 4 different teams of people.. before they allowed you to log off and return later. (never did finish it *sigh*)

and now..
I can vividly recall my reaction to seeing my most HATED character in the game that we loved with all we where in a new game, by the same developer, with some goober stating it was a "labor of love".  PUhhhh leese!

The ONLY reason the character is in another game is to maintain IP rights so they can try to run the price up on anyone who wants to license it for a successor.  I don't even like that CoT is doing any sort of business with NC, and if I had known that I probably would NOT have pitched into their kickstarter to be honest.  But, i did, and I'm here for the haul.. even if that haul is to put NC's collective backsides into a wheelbarrow and haul them to the dump.  The will NEVER see another penny of mine, and even if this wasn't a "slap in teh face" or "intended insult".. even if Statesman is a total tool that I thoroughly enjoyed beating the crap out of (only reason I EVER took a villan to 50 was to watch my robots dismantle him faster than a Rikti falls out of their launch craft).. he was still OUR Statesman.. from OUR game.. part of OUR community.

** Stock Predictions :  dump any NC Soft stocks faster than the hot pan you grabbed making dinner ***