Author Topic: Statesman is Back... in MXM  (Read 40056 times)

Blue Cloak

• Minion
Re: Statesman is Back... in MXM
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2017, 09:54:02 PM »
Didn't Paragon studios mention at some point that Half their team was making a moba? Is this what was made from what they started?

Surelle

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2017, 10:01:43 PM »
Didn't Paragon studios mention at some point that Half their team was making a moba? Is this what was made from what they started?

There was a turn-based strategy, multiplayer game they were working on, but it had its own original IP (nothing to do with CoH or superheroes) I think.

Blue Cloak

• Minion
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2017, 10:04:19 PM »
Ah, that's what it was.

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2017, 10:30:51 AM »
They didn't bring Statesman back to life, any more than they brought the game back to life.

They stuck a villain in Statesman's costume and are shouting "Look, he's alive again!", just as they stuck that villain-in-Statesman's-costume into their new game and are shouting "Look, we still care about City of Heroes!"

Surelle

« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2017, 01:04:13 PM »
It really kinda seems like a "we are publicly acknowledging that we still own this IP" sort of statement, but it could also be a really dumb attempt to get former CoX players into a new NCSoft game.

I still, to this day, think the 800 pound gorilla of Wildstar's failure that no one at NCSoft will talk about is not how many people tried it and quit, but how many players wouldn't touch it to begin with because they've been  burned by NCSoft too many times in the past.

*plops off soapbox*

This new stunt is already coming back to bite them in the behind as well.  Jeez, have you read all the MxM Statesman YouTube video comments?  They're 95% NSFW, lol, and the posts are growing all the time!  If there is a maximum amount of downvotes a video can get, this one could hit it.   

Well, at least all the MxM players will know who Statesman is now, even if they're kid gamers!   :P

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2017, 02:13:43 PM »
A MOBA would have been a great addition to CoH when it was still around-just think playing as the Freedom Phalanx vs. Arachnos in one, or even your own character. But this isn't quite the same...

And I wonder now how much of that storyline was created while CoH was in development. I assume there's some sort of legal issue if they stole it from the Lore AMA, or if the AMA revealed things it shouldn't have; they couldn't release artwork, but they could release lore? That seems odd.
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Matt Bold

• Lieutenant
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2017, 02:16:29 PM »
I don't think this is an attempt to "hold on" to the IP.  I've calmed down a bit and what probably happened was they needed some sort of Iconic character and Statesman was the closest thing to it.  Does anyone recognize ANY of their characters? They more than likely had pure intentions by reviving CoH in some form, and the lore shows they put care and thought into it.  The devs making the game and the decision maker to include him are probably not the same people who decided to close CoH and Paragon, and I would like to believe they wanted to make some sort of homage.

Regarding the sale of the IP, is it possible that NCSoft wanted to maintain the rights to use the IP in non-competing games or specific characters?

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2017, 02:49:04 PM »
Regardless of NCSoft's intent here, I won't be playing this game.

Nyghtshade

• HERC Advisor
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2017, 05:25:49 PM »
Good article on why so many ex-COH players are upset about pasting Statesman into NCSoft's lates MOBA.

http://massivelyop.com/2017/03/22/heres-why-everyones-pissed-off-about-city-of-heroes-npcs-in-ncsofts-moba/

Matt Bold

• Lieutenant
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2017, 06:02:58 PM »
Some interesting points of view on there.

FlyingCarcass

• Elite Boss
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2017, 08:09:36 PM »
/e facepalm

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2017, 06:39:04 AM »
#f*ckncsoft

wyldhunt

• Lieutenant
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2017, 09:41:30 PM »
Another pointless salt-rub by a clueless company. I hope that City of Titans come to open beta soon enough...
Wyldhunt
Guardianite since I2
Playing as Wyldhaunt on Rebirth

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2017, 12:52:36 AM »
Late to the party, too. Didn't the MOBA market get saturated like... two years ago?

Surelle

« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2017, 01:05:42 AM »
Late to the party, too. Didn't the MOBA market get saturated like... two years ago?

For sure.  If you're not on the team making League of Legends (Riot), DOTA2 (Valve) or Heroes of the Storm (Blizzard), you're out of luck.  Turbine's MOBA, plus a whole host of others, already went caput.  I'm not sure how Paragon (Epic's new one) or SMITE (by Hi Rez) are hanging on, but those are the only other ones I can think of that are still around.

Honestly, I'm surprised NCSoft didn't make an arena shooter like Overwatch (Blizzard) instead.  Between that and Paladins (Hi Rez) and Lawbreakers (Nexon), arena shooters are the new flavor of the month.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2017, 04:37:18 AM »

May it die a sad, lonely death, costing NCSoft lots and lots and lots of money.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

blacksly

• Elite Boss
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2017, 12:37:51 PM »
May it die a sad, lonely death, costing NCSoft lots and lots and lots of money.

I'm with that other than the "lonely" part. Highly public and well publicized would fit NCSoft better.

Surelle

« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2017, 06:42:42 PM »
There's a post on Massivelyop.com quoting the NCSoft employee who made the Statesman/Tyrant for MasterXMaster. 

http://massivelyop.com/2017/03/24/ncsoft-rep-says-bringing-city-of-heroes-toons-to-master-x-master-was-his-passion-project/

And it seems like about 100 of the responses have been deleted from that MxM "A Hero Returns" YouTube video, yet practically all the remaining ones are still negative, so if there were indeed a lot chopped, it hasn't done any good.  And there are still 300 downvotes to 60 upvotes too, lol.  *shrug*

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ra7O7LqNh5w
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 06:51:46 PM by Surelle »

AlphaFerret

• Boss
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2017, 01:20:22 AM »
If they bring back Coh, I'll gladly purchase this MOBA....and not play it...

kaaduu1280

• Minion
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2017, 09:29:40 AM »
I feel really insulted by all this, just like many others.  But...I'm going to call this NCSoft's way of throwing acid and salt in all our faces, thinking about a comment I saw on the video.  I feel like NCsoft is doing this to make sure nothing can be brought back if they don't want it brought back.  There can't be a true CoH2 or anything like that made now that Statesman is in this game, all so the IP rights don't lapse.  It feels like a VERY deliberate tactic to make sure we don't get our game back without them still running it.  I'd even be willing to bet that City of Titans is now in jeopardy of having actions taken against it and get removed.

Safe to say, I'm getting rid of everything NCSoft related and never touching it again...
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 09:57:56 AM by kaaduu1280 »
"Do not attribute to Malice what can instead be attributed to Stupidity." -NakaTeleeli