Author Topic: Paragon Chat 1.0  (Read 108237 times)

Styrj

• Boss
Re: Paragon Chat 1.0
« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2016, 01:04:20 AM »
In regards to ParagonChat vs virus protection software, I use AGV CloudCare and had to make exceptions entries using "Folder" instead of "Application" or "File", and that change worked for me.  Prior to that change, AVG was seeing PagrgonChat as a potential virus threat and moving it to its virus vault.  Hope this helps.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!  Infinity Server...

Nyghtshade

• HERC Advisor
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2016, 01:13:01 AM »
In regards to ParagonChat vs virus protection software, I use AGV CloudCare and had to make exceptions entries using "Folder" instead of "Application" or "File", and that change worked for me.  Prior to that change, AVG was seeing PagrgonChat as a potential virus threat and moving it to its virus vault.  Hope this helps.
Not sure if I follow -- when the new PC interface wanted to download the upgrades, it gave me the choice of where, and I had it load everything into my usual Paragon Chat location (in a folder I created for it, under my documents location rather than program files.)  That worked OK the first time I logged in, yesterday morning, but today when I clicked on the little "mask" icon (the new desktop icon that came with the 1.0 files), Avast claimed the ParagonChatClient.exe file was infected and quarantined it.

Is there something else I should be doing to fix this?

Styrj

• Boss
« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2016, 01:39:06 AM »
Sorry for the confusion, but I was referring to AVG CloudCare options as to where to look for an exception (folder, or application/file).  AVGs Advanced Settings options allows you to add an exception based on "Selection Type".  This is a dropdown where you select "Application or File", or "Folder".  You then navigate to the appropriate Application/File or Folder and click Apply.  Hope this explanation does a better job.

For me, adding the PagagonChat folder in AVGs exception list did the trick, as opposed to pointing a specific file.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!  Infinity Server...

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2016, 03:11:21 AM »
Turn off your antivirus.

(Re)Install PC.

Turn your antivirus back on.

Tell your antivirus to ignore your installation folder(s).

Welcome back to PC.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Secret322

• Underling
« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2016, 04:57:21 AM »
Hi Guys,
I'm still not able to get the new Paragon Chat executable to recognize my COH folder.
It's the same folder that I've been using for every other version of Paragon Chat, but I cant select the next button and just get this message.

"The location you chose is not a valid Issue 24 installation. Either it is not a City of Heroes installation, it is the wrong version, or some of the files are missing or corrupt. Please check the files and try again, or choose a different folder."

I have not modified my cityofheroes.exe executable at all since I downloaded it from the SaveCOH torrent.
Anyone have any ideas on what to do?

Rubber Chocobo

• Underling
« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2016, 08:46:52 AM »
Wee bit of a noobish question here but I've never used Paragon Chat.

Do I need to have Issue 24 installed before using the Installer file or will that take care of it all for me?

Thanks.

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2016, 03:13:37 PM »
You need to have Issue 24 on an attached hard drive or Paragon Chat won't install.

JadeFalcon

• Minion
« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2016, 03:31:26 PM »
Hi Guys,
I'm still not able to get the new Paragon Chat executable to recognize my COH folder.
It's the same folder that I've been using for every other version of Paragon Chat, but I cant select the next button and just get this message.

"The location you chose is not a valid Issue 24 installation. Either it is not a City of Heroes installation, it is the wrong version, or some of the files are missing or corrupt. Please check the files and try again, or choose a different folder."

I have not modified my cityofheroes.exe executable at all since I downloaded it from the SaveCOH torrent.
Anyone have any ideas on what to do?

I never used the torrent (and the link now appears to be dead), but have you checked to see if there are two copies of cityofheroes.exe (one possibly named cityofheroes.bak or similar) in the install folder? Perhaps the torrent already had a modified binary.

Otherwise, try downloading the cityofheroes.exe that Tequila installs from here. Make a backup of your current file first just in case, and place the one you downloaded in your install folder.

Do I need to have Issue 24 installed before using the Installer file or will that take care of it all for me?

Paragon Chat won't download the client. Most people use Tequila. Or you can download it manually from the link I posted above using DownThemAll in Firefox for example.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 06:26:49 PM by JadeFalcon »

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #48 on: April 04, 2016, 04:43:12 PM »
I'm almost certain that I'm seeding the Issue 24 torrent.   I'll check it when I get home tonight.

JadeFalcon

• Minion
« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2016, 05:14:34 PM »
Ah, the torrent may still be active, but the link to download it here is dead. Wasn't sure if there were any other links to get the torrent file around. There probably are, but I'm a little out of touch, sorry.

Nyghtshade

• HERC Advisor
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2016, 05:26:53 PM »
You need to have Issue 24 on an attached hard drive or Paragon Chat won't install.
But if you don't already have Issue 24 installed (on my PC, it was listed as CoH Beta, or CoH Test, I actually had both), then Tequila will install I-24 for you.  It just takes a hugely long time to do so.

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2016, 06:18:59 PM »
I'm using Avast as my virus-protection software, and up until today it's had no problem running Paragon Chat.  But today when I tried to open PC, using the new 1.0 interface, Avast claimed the ParagonChatClient.exe file was infected with Win32 Malware-gen, and quarantined the PC-exe file.

Has anyone else run into this?

Yep, did it to me yesterday. You'll have to add the Paragon Chat folder to your exclusions or it'll keep happening.

asdjol

• Underling
« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2016, 06:41:30 PM »
Yep, did it to me yesterday. You'll have to add the Paragon Chat folder to your exclusions or it'll keep happening.

So to summarise what everyone has said: Paragon Chat is not a virus - the user just needs to "tell" its antivirus software to make an exception & ignore Paragon Chat. Am I correct so far?

Nyghtshade

• HERC Advisor
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2016, 07:11:25 PM »
So to summarise what everyone has said: Paragon Chat is not a virus - the user just needs to "tell" its antivirus software to make an exception & ignore Paragon Chat. Am I correct so far?
I'm having trouble figuring out how to tell Avast that Paragon Chat isn't a virus.  In the Exclusions section, under "Browse", I've chosen the Tequila sub-folder in my 'Documents" folder, but that doesn't seem to be working.  What should I be pointing Avast to instead?

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #54 on: April 04, 2016, 07:25:01 PM »
I'm having trouble figuring out how to tell Avast that Paragon Chat isn't a virus.  In the Exclusions section, under "Browse", I've chosen the Tequila sub-folder in my 'Documents" folder, but that doesn't seem to be working.  What should I be pointing Avast to instead?

1. STOP USING TEQUILLA!!

Sheesh, seriously. Once you have i24, you absolutely DO NOT NEED IT ANYMORE!

2.  Add the entire %APPDATA%\Roaming\Paragon Chat\ folder to your exclusions in Avast. This is where Paragon Chat lives now, as mentioned several times already by CodeWalker.

3.  Profit.

Nyghtshade

• HERC Advisor
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #55 on: April 04, 2016, 08:17:50 PM »
1. STOP USING TEQUILLA!!

Sheesh, seriously. Once you have i24, you absolutely DO NOT NEED IT ANYMORE!

2.  Add the entire %APPDATA%\Roaming\Paragon Chat\ folder to your exclusions in Avast. This is where Paragon Chat lives now, as mentioned several times already by CodeWalker.

3.  Profit.
To be clear, I am NOT using Tequila to launch.  I am using the PC icon.  But when I originally downloaded all the files, I thought they were in the Tequila folder, which is where at least my costume updates seem to be. 

Perhaps the issue is that I named the folder "Tequila" - I am not nearly as computer savvy as many here on the PC forum.

Thank you for providing the actual file string to use in the exclusions section of Avast.  I'll give that a try.

EDIT:  That worked.  Thank you again.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 08:34:35 PM by Nyghtshade »

Secret322

• Underling
« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2016, 08:44:33 PM »
That definitely did the trick.
Thanks JadeFalcon!

I never used the torrent (and the link now appears to be dead), but have you checked to see if there are two copies of cityofheroes.exe (one possibly named cityofheroes.bak or similar) in the install folder? Perhaps the torrent already had a modified binary.

Otherwise, try downloading the cityofheroes.exe that Tequila installs from here. Make a backup of your current file first just in case, and place the one you downloaded in your install folder.

Paragon Chat won't download the client. Most people use Tequila. Or you can download it manually from the link I posted above using DownThemAll in Firefox for example.

JadeFalcon

• Minion
« Reply #57 on: April 04, 2016, 08:52:10 PM »
That definitely did the trick.
Thanks JadeFalcon!

No problem. Glad that helped you. :)

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #58 on: April 05, 2016, 02:35:51 AM »
On my main toon "Floride" Everyone's global appears above their heads. Bug? Feature? Alien Conspiracy?

Feature, introduced a few versions back. Look in the game's options menu, under the General tab, all the way at the bottom in the Miscellaneous section. The option is called "Always Show Global Names". It's a per-character setting.

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #59 on: April 05, 2016, 08:43:26 PM »
Feature, introduced a few versions back. Look in the game's options menu, under the General tab, all the way at the bottom in the Miscellaneous section. The option is called "Always Show Global Names". It's a per-character setting.

http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Paragon_Chat/Notes#.99d_Beta

The notes also say it is by default off. Does this option preclude the addition of gold names, like the devs used to give during in-game events?
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame