Author Topic: Paragon Chat 0.99i Beta!  (Read 210003 times)

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
Re: Paragon Chat 0.98a Beta!
« Reply #240 on: July 22, 2015, 12:32:24 AM »
mine did not update when launched from icon.
Do you mean when launched from Tequila? Because Icon doesn't do anything to/with Paragon Chat.

And Tequila hasn't been updated with 98a, as Codewalker stated before.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Blackgrue

• Lieutenant
« Reply #241 on: July 22, 2015, 04:11:52 AM »
Auto-update successfully updated for me. Thanks!
Virtue native

Main characters:
Diz the Goblin
Projekt Redstorm

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #242 on: July 22, 2015, 04:17:21 AM »
I checked the web server logs to look for any obvious issues like update loops and didn't see anything. I did see a few IPs that have been repeatedly downloading the update every once in a while but still report themselves as 0.98. Either there are a number of people sharing a NAT address, or somebody's update is failing.

I suspect that it may be an install that's under \Program Files\, and UAC is blocking the update. If anyone sees this and notices that Paragon Chat shows it's downloading an update every time you run it, try right-clicking and using 'Run as Administrator' instead, that should allow it to succeed.

I haven't tackled that particular headache yet, but automatically asking to elevate to admin if it can't write to its install directory is something that is on the short list for the 0.98 series.

Void Huntress

• Minion
Re: Paragon Chat 0.98 Beta!
« Reply #243 on: July 22, 2015, 11:17:22 AM »
It was. I dunno if it was 50 ft specifically but local chat in Pocket D definitely had a shorter range than in other zones.
If I might make a suggestion, perhaps do the same thing for the Paragon Dance Party, and also possibly the Studio 55 club in Imperial City? Though that last one would be harder since it'd have to be confined to that location rather than zone-wide.

Whatever the range was in the D on live, it was /not/ as little as 50'. I'm having to get MUCH closer to people to hear conversations than I used to.

I've a tendency to be a nearby observer more than a participant when it comes to the D, and the positions I'm accustomed to are, at best, getting me part of a conversation that I previously could get the entirety of with distance to spare.

I'm of the opinion /at the least/ if I can get my camera behind someone, I should be able to receive their local/emote messages. I'm having to get noticeably closer than that now.

Leandro

• Elite Boss
Re: Paragon Chat 0.98 Beta!
« Reply #244 on: July 22, 2015, 04:21:02 PM »

Golden Aurora

• Boss
« Reply #245 on: July 22, 2015, 08:19:09 PM »
I checked the web server logs to look for any obvious issues like update loops and didn't see anything. I did see a few IPs that have been repeatedly downloading the update every once in a while but still report themselves as 0.98. Either there are a number of people sharing a NAT address, or somebody's update is failing.

I suspect that it may be an install that's under \Program Files\, and UAC is blocking the update. If anyone sees this and notices that Paragon Chat shows it's downloading an update every time you run it, try right-clicking and using 'Run as Administrator' instead, that should allow it to succeed.

I haven't tackled that particular headache yet, but automatically asking to elevate to admin if it can't write to its install directory is something that is on the short list for the 0.98 series.

Worked fine updating for me. Using a router bridged to a dsl modem. I have UAC enabled and I'm running a windows 7 box with tequila in a subfolder of c:\games.

On a sidenote, it would be nice if as part of the update procedure it backs up the old copy to something like ParagonChat.old
It's pretty inevitable at some point and time something will get corrupted.
It gives something to fall back on.

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #246 on: July 23, 2015, 12:16:03 AM »
Worked fine updating for me. Using a router bridged to a dsl modem. I have UAC enabled and I'm running a windows 7 box with tequila in a subfolder of c:\games.

On a sidenote, it would be nice if as part of the update procedure it backs up the old copy to something like ParagonChat.old
It's pretty inevitable at some point and time something will get corrupted.
It gives something to fall back on.
That's not a bad suggestion at all, though there needs to be  aline that it will only ever allow one ".old" copy to persist so your folder doesn't fill up with old OLD files (particularly if, like me you're on a small SSD)
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #247 on: July 23, 2015, 04:44:11 AM »
That would be pretty easy to do, since it already renames the existing file to ParagonChat.exe.old. All I'd have to do is remove the cleanup that deletes it when the new version starts.

Actually, come to think of it, that may not be necessary. It's the new version that is responsible for deleting the .old file. So if it somehow fails to start*, the old one won't be deleted and will still be sitting there.

* Should be impossible since the new exe is validated against a cryptographic signature before being moved into place. If the file is corrupt it won't validate. But there's always a chance of your OS screwing something up I suppose.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #248 on: July 23, 2015, 05:07:13 AM »
That would be pretty easy to do, since it already renames the existing file to ParagonChat.exe.old. All I'd have to do is remove the cleanup that deletes it when the new version starts.

Actually, come to think of it, that may not be necessary. It's the new version that is responsible for deleting the .old file. So if it somehow fails to start*, the old one won't be deleted and will still be sitting there.

* Should be impossible since the new exe is validated against a cryptographic signature before being moved into place. If the file is corrupt it won't validate. But there's always a chance of your OS screwing something up I suppose.

Perhaps the new version should only delete the old version if it recognizes that it runs correctly at least once.  In fact, the flag that determines this version is working correctly could be that Paragon Chat recognizes that CoH has connected to it at least once and managed to zone into an XMPP room at least once.  Then, during *graceful* shutdown, it cleans up the old version.  But until Paragon Chat sees that a CoH character has managed to make it to the server space, it won't assume its safe to delete the old version.

Maybe that could be the default behavior, and you could add a "update and save old version" option that saves the old version with version number like ParagonChat.098b.exe for the paranoid (also I do that manually because I want a version library for testing).

Golden Aurora

• Boss
« Reply #249 on: July 23, 2015, 07:45:18 PM »
That would work as well, Arcana.

The main concern is if something screws up uploading the latest and greatest to the server, either due to compile problems, isp problems, server hosting problems, or corrupt download problems.
There's a lot of things that can go south.
The other possibly lazier approach is just to keep a ftp folder with the older versions of the PC file so you can hunt it down yourself if need be.

Automation is nice except when you're left stranded XD

Tardigrade

• Underling
Re: Paragon Chat 0.97f Beta!
« Reply #250 on: July 26, 2015, 03:35:15 AM »
This is simply not working for me.  I'm using the Mac client, I have I24, I have the latest version of paragonchat.exe in the coh directory, but when I hit the Play button on Island Rum, absolutely nothing happens.  The client opens, but no windows open in the client.  There's no error message, the client doesn't freeze or crash, it just does nothing.

I'm baffled.  Did I miss a step installing it, or something?
For what it's worth, I experience the exact same thing. I can start Icon with Island Rum without problem. If I try to start Paragon Chat, City of Heroes Resurgence launches, but it never opens a window, and it never attempts to make any outgoing connections. I've seen the same behavior on two different Macs (both Minis, one newer, both running OS X 10.10.4). The menus respond normally, so it's not hanging. It seems like it's waiting for something that never happens.

Leandro

• Elite Boss
« Reply #251 on: July 26, 2015, 10:39:12 AM »
Max people should stick to the Island Rum thread or start a new one to get Manga's attention. He's the only one who actually has a Mac to test the client on that platform. We simply cannot help people using that OS.

Tardigrade

• Underling
« Reply #252 on: July 27, 2015, 04:06:28 PM »
Max people should stick to the Island Rum thread or start a new one to get Manga's attention. He's the only one who actually has a Mac to test the client on that platform. We simply cannot help people using that OS.
Thanks, I'll add my report to that thread. For other Mac users, here is the Island Rum thread. For some reason searching didn't find it directly, but I found it from the FAQ thread.

Tybulldog1

• Underling
Re: Paragon Chat 0.95 Beta!
« Reply #253 on: July 27, 2015, 06:57:21 PM »
You can use Tequila for that. It can also download Icon and Paragon Chat.

Its telling me that it cannot open that webpage because it doesnt know how? when I try to download one of the I24s anyone explain exactly how to do this?  Had to build a new computer bout a year ago b/c harddrive and everything fried.

Golden Aurora

• Boss

Tybulldog1

• Underling
« Reply #255 on: July 27, 2015, 08:42:41 PM »
can someone exactly explain how to do this step by step.  Golden aura said the link is was messed up and use this other link.  Well I have windows not mac.  I do not have I24 beta so i will need to get that also would be very apprecaited if you could just send me an email on the step by step basis please... COH/COV lover trying to get back in :)

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #256 on: July 27, 2015, 10:40:04 PM »
can someone exactly explain how to do this step by step.  Golden aura said the link is was messed up and use this other link.  Well I have windows not mac.  I do not have I24 beta so i will need to get that also would be very apprecaited if you could just send me an email on the step by step basis please... COH/COV lover trying to get back in :)

Paragon Chat Quick Start Guide: http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,10977.msg186547.html#msg186547

davpa

• Underling
    • Entropy Legion VG in Virtue
« Reply #257 on: July 28, 2015, 05:10:43 PM »
Any thought of naming our server? Might I suggest Independence? It would fit the 'theme' of past severs as well as proclaiming our status with NCsoft. Just a suggestion.
If life closes a door, open it back up.  That is how doors work.

Shadeknight

• Lieutenant
« Reply #258 on: July 28, 2015, 06:14:17 PM »
Nah, it doesn't need an official/unoffical name.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #259 on: July 28, 2015, 06:20:23 PM »
You know, it occurs to me that debating what to call the server actually has a funny catch to it.  I think when most people are talking about naming "the server" they are talking about the server name that displays in the City of Heroes client (and not, say, the Titan XMPP server).  That's actually got a name: localhost.  Ignoring the odd network mechanics surrounding .1, everyone is either selecting 127.0.0.2 or 127.0.0.1 and both of those are local loopback addresses for localhost, meaning we're connecting to our own computers, where our own individual copy of Paragon Chat is running.

Now, localhost is kind of a boring name, but technically speaking that could be customized.  Codewalker could add a command switch or config file that would cause that to be displayed as something else.  Or alternatively if that was difficult, we could all add /etc/hosts entries for custom name that Paragon Chat could use for its listener; i.e. 127.0.0.2 MyServer.  Point is, with some technical work practically anything could show up there.

The really interesting question is: should it be the same thing for everyone?  And this is the funny catch to it all.  Because we're actually connecting the game client to our own copies of Paragon Chat, none of us is really connecting to the same "server."  We're all connecting to our own individual servers.  And even if you think that's just a technical point, because we're all ultimately connecting to the same XMPP server, well that's not actually true either.  First of all, its possible to connect to your own XMPP server: I do so to test my bot development.  And as an explicit part of the system design Codewalker stated that Paragon Chat was intended to support "private" servers people could set up to do things.  Eventually, cross-server and possibly federated server features are on the roadmap which would allow players to set up their own servers, and then link the servers together into a large server cluster, and even connect the clusters into giant global server networks.  At any particular moment in time, a Paragon Chat player might be connected to the Titan server, then decide to join a friend on a federated server, then jump to a private server where a PnP game was being run, while still chatting with people on global channels linked to servers connected globally back to Titan.

In that world, what "the server" should be called is actually a rather weird question.  The answer really is "whatever you want" because it won't signify "where" you are.  In a very real sense, your server is your own.  There is no City of Heroes server, there are only Paragon Chat servers.  The only City of Heroes server you care about and the only one you can really "connect" to is your own, personal server.  So really, it should be called whatever you want it to be called.  After all, its your server.

In City of Heroes, as with all MMOs, "the server" was a meeting place, the place where you could see and interact with other players.  If they weren't there, you couldn't really interact with them.  In Paragon Chat, "the server" is where we are, but it doesn't limit who we interact with.  We can interact with anyone, anywhere, on any "server" provided the XMPP links are there.  In fact, in a weird sort of way Paragon Chat is virtual reality for City of Heroes.  We exist on our own server.  Everyone else shows up "virtually" on our server so we can see and interact with them, even though in a sense they are still on their own server.

Its a brave new world.