Author Topic: Coming Soon  (Read 210044 times)

Prism Almidu

• Lieutenant
Re: Coming Soon
« Reply #200 on: June 23, 2015, 05:51:43 AM »
Given that the chat functions outside of the presumably as-yet-unimplemented alignment system, will factions matter? I, and I assume I'm not the only one, prefer to roll redside. From the information released, it doesn't sound like I'll be locked out of anything for doing so, but I figured I'd make sure.

Rejolt

• Elite Boss
  • Infinity Server 2005-2012
« Reply #201 on: June 23, 2015, 06:54:02 AM »
48 slots per "account". And you can create as many "accounts" as you want just by typing a different name on the login screen once the game loads. The only hard part is remembering which characters are under which name.

I put "account" in quotes because character data is all saved on your local computer and is not tied in any way to the chat server you connect to for multiplayer functionality.

Can't wait for 500 Codewalker@randomcoxer.com to be running around. There's no check for taken names I gather.
Rejolt Industries LLC is now a thing. Woo!

Solitaire

• Elite Boss
  • Badge Hunting
« Reply #202 on: June 23, 2015, 10:03:51 AM »
I am really hoping this is just the start for us to getting the game back, this may even help the talks with NCSoft, as it will show that there is still a demand for the game with the number of responses and articles already on different gaming sites.

Only time will tell!  ;)

Piledriver

• Boss
« Reply #203 on: June 23, 2015, 10:36:22 AM »
Thanks for the clarification, Arcana & TonyV. While I hope that this chat server is not challenged, I also don't want to see the rest of the Titan network endangered if anything does happen.

That also goes for you not getting yourselves hauled into legal Hell.

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #204 on: June 23, 2015, 10:53:44 AM »
Thanks for the clarification, Arcana & TonyV. While I hope that this chat server is not challenged, I also don't want to see the rest of the Titan network endangered if anything does happen.

That also goes for you not getting yourselves hauled into legal Hell.

They've got as much chance as suing Titan for running a generic XMPP server as the guy that writes the mIRC client has of suing me for running a private IRC server, ie: None whatsoever.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #205 on: June 23, 2015, 10:55:21 AM »
I am really hoping this is just the start for us to getting the game back, this may even help the talks with NCSoft, as it will show that there is still a demand for the game with the number of responses and articles already on different gaming sites.

Only time will tell!  ;)

Thats my hope as well, as it shows what kind of competence the community has.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #206 on: June 23, 2015, 11:40:03 AM »

Only time will tell!  ;)

That would be nice, but I'm not going to hold my breath.  It's not like waving a pile of money at NCSoft has worked, and the massive campaign to save the game before they closed it didn't work, and the attempted buyout by Paragon Studio's themselves didn't work...  Who knows... Maybe a small dev team of smart people and a bunch of people unable to let go of their favourite game will finally get their attention.

Oh pardon me, my cynicism is showing again. ;)

Ohioknight

• Celebrating Columbus Day
  • Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
« Reply #207 on: June 23, 2015, 11:44:05 AM »
Given the history of chat server software, I probably would have put it on a completely different virtual switch if I could.  Or pushed it to a zone in Tahiti.
I hear it's a magical place
"Wow, a fat, sarcastic, Star Trek fan, you must be a devil with the ladies"

Ultimate15

• Boss
« Reply #208 on: June 23, 2015, 12:46:20 PM »

Only time will tell!  ;)

I think that's what's on a everyone's mind right now, too - perhaps not necessarily specific to the current IP negotiations with NCSoft, but this is certainly a HUGE step in coding a major piece of the game back together. If they can do this, then who knows what else they can do...

And yeah, it also shows how resilient and steadfast our player base is for sure (and how competent and awesome Codewaker and his team are). No other group of players would be doing this for any other 'dead' title nearly 3 years after the announcement of it's shutdown. I firmly believe that.

...Unless the resurrection of a game has happened before. If so, then I'm just talking out of my ass and feel free to ignore me. Teehee.
Viva la Virtue!

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #209 on: June 23, 2015, 01:00:07 PM »
No other group of players would be doing this for any other 'dead' title nearly 3 years after the announcement of it's shutdown. I firmly believe that.

...Unless the resurrection of a game has happened before. If so, then I'm just talking out of my ass and feel free to ignore me. Teehee.

You would be quite wrong in that belief. There are several dead MMO's now up and running again thanks the dedicated and tireless work of their fans.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #210 on: June 23, 2015, 01:15:31 PM »
No other group of players would be doing this for any other 'dead' title nearly 3 years after the announcement of it's shutdown. I firmly believe that.

Star Wars Galaxies (the original), Earth & Beyond, even Tabula Rasa had something in progress until ncsoft shut them down.

Ultimate15

• Boss
« Reply #211 on: June 23, 2015, 01:42:00 PM »
Star Wars Galaxies (the original), Earth & Beyond, even Tabula Rasa had something in progress until ncsoft shut them down.

Right on! But were these games rezzed nearly 3 years AFTER the announcement of the games' shut down? That's...a fairly long period of time for something like this, right? I'm just saying - the amount of momentum and interest that has remained amongst the players of COH is truly impressive.

:)

*EDIT - that 'Right on!' was to the games coming back, not to their untimely re-demise. Obviously. Lol.
Viva la Virtue!

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #212 on: June 23, 2015, 01:51:39 PM »
Yes, they were, and no.. 3 years isn't long at all to reverse engineer this sort of stuff.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #213 on: June 23, 2015, 01:52:18 PM »
They've got as much chance as suing Titan for running a generic XMPP server as the guy that writes the mIRC client has of suing me for running a private IRC server, ie: None whatsoever.

They wouldn't have a chance in hell of taking down a generic XMPP server if it went to court. I think the worry is more about them using their resources to threaten and/or file nuisance suits they have no intent of winning in order to intimidate us and/or drown us in legal costs defending against it. SLAPP.

Which is always possible. Anybody can sue anybody over anything. We're hoping that this is innocuous enough that it's not worth their trouble.

Corona89

• Minion
« Reply #214 on: June 23, 2015, 02:03:43 PM »
Who knows if this will help in a revival or not?  As others have said, NCSoft has stubbornly resisted all our efforts to date.

Regardless, this is a great thing for the community at large.  City of Heroes is still home to those of us here and the chance to interact with each other in game again will be a huge boon.

Now if we could only get our powers back :roll:

Nyghtshade

• HERC Advisor
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #215 on: June 23, 2015, 02:05:20 PM »
Here's an offbase question - or, really, a moonbase question.  Didn't I-24 have a moonbase map or maps?  If so, can anyone provide the map-code string for that? 

And will it be a part of "SoonTM"

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #216 on: June 23, 2015, 02:09:00 PM »
Which is always possible. Anybody can sue anybody over anything. We're hoping that this is innocuous enough that it's not worth their trouble.

If they did anything as pancaked as that, there'd be at least one new server starting up overnight, count on it! ;)

Edit: In fact, looking at the bandwidth requirements...

If the domains have 20,000 users, where each user has 4 contacts in the other domain and changes presence 3 times an hour, bandwidth usage is estimated to be 30 kilobytes per second for XMPP and 830 kilobytes per second for SIMPLE.

I can cover probably 60,000 or so users... :p

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #217 on: June 23, 2015, 02:17:34 PM »
Haha, I think our bandwidth usage would be a BIT higher than that, since we're exchanging XMPP messages a lot more often than your standard non-graphical chat, just for position updates alone. It's fairly well optimized, so at least you don't transmit anything if you're standing still (or even running in a straight line, motion prediction ftw), but pretty chatty if you're jumping around and emoting a lot.

"Changes presence 3 times an hour" is probably a little low. We do presence changes whenever you zone as well as if you switch costumes. That estimate probably also doesn't assume being in 3 MUC rooms with 50 other people each.

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #218 on: June 23, 2015, 02:21:28 PM »
Well, what -are- your bandwidth requirements, then?  I'm genuinely curious...

Using XMPP's numbers, I have capacity for 120,000 users at the most on my home network. I'm sure I could probably manage a couple of hundred CoXers in an emergency. ;)  (Ooer!)

Artillerie

• Lieutenant
« Reply #219 on: June 23, 2015, 03:05:36 PM »