Author Topic: Supergirl TV Series  (Read 88607 times)

doc7924

• Elite Boss
Re: Supergirl - First Look
« Reply #80 on: May 27, 2015, 09:26:42 PM »
I don't see why there is this need to change an established characters race, or even gender.

I'm all for diversity but comics are a VISUAL medium. The character should be the character as portrayed in the comics.

I mean what's next? a white Nick Fury?

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #81 on: May 27, 2015, 09:28:28 PM »

You know, back in the day stuff like this was acceptable. If they tried to do something like that now you would have all these activists and such and people crying and complaining how racist that is.

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #82 on: May 28, 2015, 12:54:05 AM »
I don't see why there is this need to change an established characters race, or even gender.

I'm all for diversity but comics are a VISUAL medium. The character should be the character as portrayed in the comics.

I mean what's next? a white Nick Fury?
I'm hoping that was somewhat sarcastic tongue-in-cheek, since there was a white Nick Fury before the Nick Fury based on the looks of Samuel L Jackson.

I do agree with you, however. Political Correctness can (and usually does) go way too far.
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

ricodah

• Boss
« Reply #83 on: May 28, 2015, 02:31:41 AM »

Agreed.  I'm all for diversity and gender equality but there's other ways to accomplish this without changing the nationality/sex of established characters.  I can swear often when it's done is to just create chatter/buzz about the movie before release.

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #84 on: May 28, 2015, 02:40:07 AM »
Agreed.  I'm all for diversity and gender equality but there's other ways to accomplish this without changing the nationality/sex of established characters.  I can swear often when it's done is to just create chatter/buzz about the movie before release.

I would love to see the reaction if they announced that the Black Panther would be played by a white actor.

CG

• Elite Boss
« Reply #85 on: May 28, 2015, 10:31:57 AM »
I would love to see the reaction if they announced that the Black Panther would be played by a white actor.
That's an apples to oranges comparison; it's not like white actors are under-represented in media.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #86 on: May 28, 2015, 12:35:13 PM »
Underrepresentation is no excuse for misrepresentation.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

CG

• Elite Boss
« Reply #87 on: May 28, 2015, 03:47:09 PM »
Underrepresentation is no excuse for misrepresentation.
Depends on what you mean by misrepresent. 

They have not mislead you; they changed Johnny from white to black.

If you mean he's being represented in an unsatisfactory manner, that is a matter of opinion.

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #88 on: May 28, 2015, 04:40:32 PM »
That's an apples to oranges comparison; it's not like white actors are under-represented in media.

That's not my point. My point is changing the race of an established character is an issue in either direction.

Has nothing to do with white or black actors and how they are handled in the media.

CG

• Elite Boss
« Reply #89 on: May 28, 2015, 05:18:16 PM »
That's not my point. My point is changing the race of an established character is an issue in either direction.

Has nothing to do with white or black actors and how they are handled in the media.
Alright, I understand your point.  Your example runs into other issues which obscure your point.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #90 on: May 28, 2015, 09:25:25 PM »
Not so much unsatisfactorily, as blatantly incorrectly.  Which isn't opinion so much as something that is visibly apparent.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

CG

• Elite Boss
« Reply #91 on: May 29, 2015, 12:44:46 AM »
Creators make changes to characters all the time.  There is no "correct".  There's what was done before and what's being done now. 

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #92 on: May 29, 2015, 04:23:48 AM »
Let me know when the creators of the character make this change.  I expect if they ever do, there will be the usual uproars made when creators make drastic changes to characters. 

Mere adaptors may receive both more and less leeway for changes.  Depending on the nature of the adaptation and changes, as well as the errant whims of the fanbase.

CG

• Elite Boss
« Reply #93 on: May 29, 2015, 12:11:44 PM »
Adaptors are creators.  In this case they are creating a film. The important characteristics about Johnny are: Flame powers, personality, family/friends(Sue/FF).  Race is not a key characteristic for the Human Torch.

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #94 on: May 29, 2015, 12:57:35 PM »
Adaptors are creators.  In this case they are creating a film. The important characteristics about Johnny are: Flame powers, personality, family/friends(Sue/FF).  Race is not a key characteristic for the Human Torch.

Doesn't ones personality have something to do with their race?

CG

• Elite Boss
« Reply #95 on: May 29, 2015, 02:38:11 PM »
Doesn't ones personality have something to do with their race?
No.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #96 on: May 29, 2015, 03:34:05 PM »
No one doing serious work on race is going to agree with you on that.

CG

• Elite Boss
« Reply #97 on: May 29, 2015, 04:12:46 PM »
No one doing serious work on race is going to agree with you on that.
There is nothing inherent to personality based on race.  There's lots of things that will affect personality based on things related to race (wealth, education, racism) but I'd like to see you produce a study that says certain races have certain personality dispositions based on genetics alone.

To bring this back on point (sort of; this is the Supergirl thread after all) there is no aspect of Johnny's personality that I know of that is exclusive to a white person. 

AmberOfDzu

• Boss
« Reply #98 on: May 29, 2015, 04:41:38 PM »
I'm trying to figure out what "continuum" Supergirl all happens in?

Is this series set in the same world as Arrow and Flash? How about in regards the last Superman movie? They don't use his name, is that a license issue of some sort, and will that keep all these in separate worlds? Is the superman cousin here the same superman as in the 2006 movie?

In the marvels TV series, a non-comic book person like myself can be pretty sure it's all one world, and is consistent with the box office movies (Except for those embarassing early hulks they couldn't seem to get right.) It just seems DC is having trouble here.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #99 on: May 29, 2015, 05:09:03 PM »
There is nothing inherent to personality based on race.  There's lots of things that will affect personality based on things related to race (wealth, education, racism) but I'd like to see you produce a study that says certain races have certain personality dispositions based on genetics alone.

To bring this back on point (sort of; this is the Supergirl thread after all) there is no aspect of Johnny's personality that I know of that is exclusive to a white person.

Who said anything about 'inherent' or based on genetics alone? You originally said 'no' to the question 'Doesn't one's personality have something to do with their race?'