Author Topic: Supergirl TV Series  (Read 88592 times)

Golden Girl

• One Liners and Winky Faces
  • Elite Boss
    • Heroes and Villains
Re: Supergirl - First Look
« Reply #120 on: June 10, 2015, 03:01:40 AM »
CBS has announced the start date:

"Heroes and Villains" website - http://www.heroes-and-villains.com
"Heroes and Villains" on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
"Heroes and Villains" on Twitter - https://twitter.com/Plan_Z_Studios
"Heroes and Villains" teaser trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnjKqNPfFv8
Artwork - http://goldengirlcoh.deviantart.com

GamingGlen

• Boss
« Reply #121 on: June 10, 2015, 03:44:34 AM »
My birthday.  She would make for a nice present. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D 

CG

• Elite Boss
« Reply #122 on: June 10, 2015, 12:44:14 PM »
What is that?  2010, the 25th month, 15th day?  I need a time machine?  :P

Shenku

• Elite Boss
« Reply #123 on: June 10, 2015, 07:55:50 PM »

No no, it's clearly suppose to mean the 26th day of the 15th month of the year 2210. But yes, you're still going to need a time machine. :P

Ohioknight

• Celebrating Columbus Day
  • Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
« Reply #124 on: June 10, 2015, 10:58:20 PM »
CBS has announced the start date:

That must be the most pointless use of GIF animation that I've ever seen!
"Wow, a fat, sarcastic, Star Trek fan, you must be a devil with the ladies"

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #125 on: June 11, 2015, 12:03:09 AM »
My birthday.  She would make for a nice present. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Happy Birthday! It's a pilot you've probably already seen!

ricodah

• Boss
« Reply #126 on: June 11, 2015, 02:19:23 AM »
That must be the most pointless use of GIF animation that I've ever seen!

I heard she's a fan of yours:

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #127 on: June 11, 2015, 06:46:34 AM »

It's shorthand that sensibly follows the long form.  October 26th, 2015.  Month, date, year.  Sensible.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

CG

• Elite Boss
« Reply #128 on: June 11, 2015, 12:50:20 PM »
No no, it's clearly suppose to mean the 26th day of the 15th month of the year 2210. But yes, you're still going to need a time machine. :P
Dammit!

CG

• Elite Boss
« Reply #129 on: June 11, 2015, 12:51:59 PM »
It's shorthand that ambiguously follows the long form.  October 26th, 2015.  Month, date, year.  Sensible.
Fixed that for you.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #130 on: June 11, 2015, 05:09:46 PM »
It's shorthand that sensibly follows the long form.  October 26th, 2015.  Month, date, year.  Sensible.
Until you go somewhere that says "the 26th of October, 2015"...which not few places/peoples do.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #131 on: June 11, 2015, 09:09:15 PM »
No one writes it like that in this century.  That's the sort of anachronistic form that should include "in the year of our Lord" somewhere.  Scoff scoff.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #132 on: June 11, 2015, 11:34:45 PM »
No one writes it like that in this century.  That's the sort of anachronistic form that should include "in the year of our Lord" somewhere.  Scoff scoff.
Um, yes. That is exactly what 26/10/2015 is. And much of the world still does say the 26th of October. (In fact, it's not-uncommon here in the PNW part of the US.) It's how a lot of legal documents are written, too :)
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Ohioknight

• Celebrating Columbus Day
  • Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
« Reply #133 on: June 12, 2015, 01:53:50 AM »
I heard she's a fan of yours:

Awww   Well, I'm a fan of hers too.  I thought that pilot was great.
"Wow, a fat, sarcastic, Star Trek fan, you must be a devil with the ladies"

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #134 on: June 12, 2015, 02:02:47 AM »
If they do it in legalese, you *know* it's bad, clunky English.  Of course, the "of" awkwardly used to reattach the severed date to the month is really all the proof one needs of how wrong it is.  ;)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 02:50:19 AM by Tenzhi »

AmberOfDzu

• Boss
« Reply #135 on: June 12, 2015, 04:25:46 PM »
This is the case of "The Standard that Isn't".

November's 26th day in 2015 ... or ... The 26th day of November in 2015. They're both clumsy, and if one uses something clumsy long enough, it wears a path,  and both sides are arguing from their well-worn paths. I've even heard of people refusing to use the number for the month -- month's aren't numbers. Instead of "26/10/2015" they might insist of "26-Nov-2015", or even "2015-Nov-26".

However, the latter has the advantage of being in order of magnitude. Days are sub-elements of months, and months in turn are sub-elements of years. But even that's just a preference for a style or purpose, consider "Four-score and seven years ago..." and "Four and twenty blackbirds..."

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #136 on: June 12, 2015, 04:50:43 PM »
This is the case of "The Standard that Isn't".

November's 26th day in 2015 ... or ... The 26th day of November in 2015. They're both clumsy, and if one uses something clumsy long enough, it wears a path,  and both sides are arguing from their well-worn paths. I've even heard of people refusing to use the number for the month -- month's aren't numbers. Instead of "26/10/2015" they might insist of "26-Nov-2015", or even "2015-Nov-26".

However, the latter has the advantage of being in order of magnitude. Days are sub-elements of months, and months in turn are sub-elements of years. But even that's just a preference for a style or purpose, consider "Four-score and seven years ago..." and "Four and twenty blackbirds..."

When I saved any reports on the computer, I always had the date in the file name with the year/month/day order. That way, all the files were in chronological order when I had to go looking for them. however, when I write the date down when signing a meal waiver or something, I always use month/day/year.
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #137 on: June 12, 2015, 07:37:40 PM »
November's 26th day in 2015 ... or ... The 26th day of November in 2015.

Wow, those are even worse, and I can't say I've ever seen either used with regularity.  The unnecessary possessive, the redundancy of calling it a day just in case someone might've thought it was November's 26th cake because it's such a fat month...

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #138 on: June 12, 2015, 10:22:03 PM »
If they do it in legalese, you *know* it's bad, clunky English.  Of course, the "of" awkwardly used to reattach the severed date to the month is really all the proof one needs of how wrong it is.  ;)
That does not change the fact that it is, in fact, not archaic nor is it uncommon usage. (One, obviously, follows the other. If it's not uncommon, it by definition cannot be archaic, which means no longer used or not used enough to be considered.)

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #139 on: June 12, 2015, 11:55:58 PM »
Hogwash.  We use anachronistic terms and phrases all the time.  Every time we dial a number on a cellphone, or hang it up for that matter.  Some people use them without even knowing how or why they're wrong. 

Heck, there are those who would argue that the imperial system of measurements is an anachronism, and look how much mileage that gets.