Author Topic: Forever  (Read 6381 times)

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
Forever
« on: September 25, 2014, 01:28:15 AM »

So anyone else watching this?

I like the concept.

A man became immortal roughly two hundred years ago. He doesn't know how or why, and he's searching for a cure for his condition and works as a Medical Examiner for a police department where his centuries of experience and memory have made him something of a Sherlock Holmes type ... who is very accident prone as it looks like they are going to have him die at least once an episode.

Things I like in particular:

Spoiler for Hidden:
There is apparently another similar immortal around as well. This one claims to be over 2000 years old and is using the alias of "Adam". (Even the main character rolled his eyes at that.)

Spoiler for Hidden:
The main character, Henry, has an adopted son played by Judd Hirsch. I think the actors are doing a nice job of portraying the dynamics of such an odd relationship.

HalcyonS

• Boss
Re: Forever
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 02:31:55 AM »
I liked the episode but the character is about as subtle as a brick to the head. He might as well say to the police officer he's working with, "Hey look at me, I'm strange and know things I shouldn't know, you should investigate me!"

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 02:57:04 AM »
I liked the episode but the character is about as subtle as a brick to the head. He might as well say to the police officer he's working with, "Hey look at me, I'm strange and know things I shouldn't know, you should investigate me!"
a lot of this here... even leaving aside that most ME's are creepy by trade, he should be setting off all sorts of alarm bells amidst all of these two dozen odd highly trained investigators, so that tangs the old suspenders of disbeliefe.

I also find the lead's acting to be a bit flat in a lot of the scenes. he;s surrounded by this talent, and if anything, it seems to be mostly there to prop his own performance up.
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

TinToySoldier

• Underling
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2014, 03:57:57 AM »
Flatter than when he was Mister Fantastic?

Magus Prime

• Boss
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2014, 09:05:43 AM »
The premise sounds familiar to a film called The Man from Earth.  It used to be on Netflix but it was regrettably removed.  It's a story of a college professor ending his tenure with a small get-together of select colleagues.  The reason he is leaving is because he is immortal and needs to move on before anyone realizes he hasn't aged in the last decade.  He posits to his learned friends, each one an expert in each of the sciences, the possibility of someone who has witnessed the age of man from start to present and the film itself is a kind of thought experiment that deals with the specific logistics of how it would be feasible for one to live so long and his unique perspective. 

He makes the claim that he has lived for over 10,000 years and predictably everyone at the party is a skeptic but despite this they question him in an effort to expose him as fraudulent but the game is afoot when he answers them in a way only a living witness could.

I highly recommend this film.  You'll be doing yourself a favor by seeing it.  It has John Billingsley whom I love in every role I've seen him in including Dr. Phlox on Enterprise. 

P.S. Lol Oh look.  After a google search it's right there on youtube in its entirety!  87 min. long.  You won't regret it.

Mental Maden

• Boss
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2014, 01:17:24 PM »
Wasn't there another show (I think on Fox) a couple of years ago similar to this? An immortal who solved crimes. Had a senior citizen child who helped. Etc. Etc.  If I remember it was pretty good and of course was canceled.

This show is ok. Not one I'll fight to see, but would probably stop if flipping. Procedurals are boring to me now no matter how they wrap the package.

Magus Prime

• Boss
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2014, 01:46:29 PM »
I believe that was called "New Amsterdam".

Mental Maden

• Boss
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2014, 06:58:15 PM »
Ding! We have a winner. I liked it.

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2014, 07:04:48 PM »
Flatter than when he was Mister Fantastic?
yup, cause he doesn't have the CGI to help either :P so somehow he is flatter while not being able to be flatter
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2014, 07:09:00 PM »
yup, cause he doesn't have the CGI to help either :P so somehow he is flatter while not being able to be flatter

Loved him as Horatio Hornblower.  Wow, it's been 15 years already?
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Magus Prime

• Boss
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2014, 11:45:27 PM »
This show is ok. Not one I'll fight to see, but would probably stop if flipping. Procedurals are boring to me now no matter how they wrap the package.

Agreed.  And it seems they're running out of ideas.  First it was solving crimes with science, then math, then illusions, and now the supernatural.  I, myself am toying with the idea of a chef using the culinary arts to figure out whodunit.  I think I'm on to something.

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2014, 12:05:42 AM »
Agreed.  And it seems they're running out of ideas.  First it was solving crimes with science, then math, then illusions, and now the supernatural.  I, myself am toying with the idea of a chef using the culinary arts to figure out whodunit.  I think I'm on to something.
Iron Kitchen? Hell's Chef? Cake Files?
-Lex Luthor

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2014, 12:54:57 AM »
I'm not sure if that's a well baked idea, but I'd be willing to give it a measure of attention.

It couldn't be worse than some of the half baked shows out there now.
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

GamingGlen

• Boss
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2014, 01:51:20 AM »
Iron Kitchen? Hell's Chef? Cake Files?

Culinary Investigations.

I like it so far and will keep watching it, but he does need to have a bit more subtlety.  I foresee a guessing game before each episode: how will he die this week?

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2014, 02:38:23 AM »
Culinary Investigations.

I like it so far and will keep watching it, but he does need to have a bit more subtlety.  I foresee a guessing game before each episode: how will he die this week?

They should have his clothes remain behind when he disappears. :D

(And honestly, he's so accident prone if he does find a cure for himself he'll just die like half an hour later and not come back.)

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2014, 11:55:58 PM »
Only watched the premier so far, I'll watch the 2nd episode tonight.  Could be good.  One problem is if he keeps dieing every episode someone will notice, like the female detective.  Abe is getting a bit old running fetch the naked immortal.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2015, 06:13:41 PM »
So I just happened to watch last night's episode after SHIELD (which I just happened to watch after The Flash, the only TV show I watch regularly). It was really good! I suspect that there was a little bit of backstory which I may have needed, but for the most part, because I was familiar with the concept through their ad campaigns, I was able to hop right in and go. This thread died off, though, so I guess the quality of the episode was better than usual?
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

GamingGlen

• Boss
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2015, 06:40:39 PM »
I still watch it and like it, just haven't seen last night's episode but it is on the DVR when I get around to watching.

I like that Jo's actual partner seems to be getting more screen time, although I don't recall the character's name.  Maybe I'll pay attention to remembering it next time.

Relitner

• Boss
  • ree-LITE-ner
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2015, 07:18:09 PM »
"There can be only one..."
in nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti amen

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2015, 07:52:55 PM »
The show has really started to grow on me now that the cast are finding their voices. If only the scripts can stay away from that well flogged recently deceased equine trope of "immortal guy knows everything" then it can be a really good show.

sadly it doesn't seem to have the numbers for a renewal.
-Lex Luthor