Author Topic: Forever  (Read 6379 times)

Abraxus

• Elite Boss
  • Brax on Discord. Play on Homecoming/Torchbearer
Re: Forever
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2015, 12:41:24 AM »
The show has really started to grow on me now that the cast are finding their voices. If only the scripts can stay away from that well flogged recently deceased equine trope of "immortal guy knows everything" then it can be a really good show.

sadly it doesn't seem to have the numbers for a renewal.

Well, if they don't renew it, Henry had better soon give in to that sexual tension they have worked so hard to build between him and Jo.  She is just a hair's breadth away from discovering his secret, and when that happens, the show will either find new legs story-wise, or quickly run out of steam, since the aforementioned tension, and his desperation to keep his secret from her are kind of what drives the show.
What was no more, is now reborn!

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2015, 01:41:52 AM »
Well, if they don't renew it, Henry had better soon give in to that sexual tension they have worked so hard to build between him and Jo.  She is just a hair's breadth away from discovering his secret, and when that happens, the show will either find new legs story-wise, or quickly run out of steam, since the aforementioned tension, and his desperation to keep his secret from her are kind of what drives the show.

The only show I remember ever watching about an immortal who has children (before Forever) was New Amsterdam. (I only watched a few episodes but I believe the immortal kept track of his offsprings descendants so he wouldn't inadvertently date them.)  I like the relationship between Henry and Abe as it's a rare family bond you don't see in shows like that.

Spoiler for Hidden:
Though Henry initially refusing to have children with his wife struck me as being pretty selfish of him.

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2015, 05:00:19 AM »

Spoiler for Hidden:
Though Henry initially refusing to have children with his wife struck me as being pretty selfish of him.
I buy it as a case of
Spoiler for Hidden:
Henry thinking along the lines of "what if this is a condition which can be passed on? Would I want to curse my offspring with the same unrelenting grind of decades and centuries of watching their friends grow old and die, of running away, etc" Ala the book "Tuck Everlasting"
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2015, 04:54:54 AM »
It's an enjoyable show.  Haven't quite caught all the way up yet.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2015, 11:36:31 PM »
Last night was the season finale.

I don't know at this point if it's going to renewed, but I will say that if it isn't they at least made sure to end it in a non cliffhanger way that could be considered a decent stopping point or a springboard to further adventures.

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2015, 11:56:30 PM »
right now it doesn't look to have the numbers for renewal. a big part of that is that it is up against NCIS and Person of Interest, and doesn't hold on to its Agents of SHIELD lead-in audience very well since it's not positioned for the 18-35 male audience of AOS.

which is a shame because it finally seemed to have found its legs in the second half.
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

GamingGlen

• Boss
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2015, 07:22:59 PM »
I loved the show, and the actors in it.  I pretty much know, but still would like to be a fly on the wall to hear that "long" story Mr. Hornblower, er, Henry Morgan will be telling Jo.

I'm glad they ended it like they did so it has some closure, or, if the show is renewed, they can start a new chapter.

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2015, 01:27:58 AM »
And it's official But at least they renewed Agent Carter
-Lex Luthor

Abraxus

• Elite Boss
  • Brax on Discord. Play on Homecoming/Torchbearer
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2015, 05:59:45 AM »
Figures!  Just watched the what turns out to be the Series Finale, and it was satisfying in the respect that you were left with the impression that Joe finally knew why Henry went off the reservation once in awhile, and quite likely how he really feels about her.  From that, likely there was forged the beginning of another relationship that he tried (kind of) to avoid, for fear of eventually losing them.  I would have like to have seen where that would have gone, but that is not to be. 

I wish another network would pick it up, but that is pretty unlikely.  Imagine if Netflix took it on!  It would be the friggin' Sherlock McCloud!
What was no more, is now reborn!