Author Topic: And the mask comes off.  (Read 1748514 times)

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
Re: And the mask comes off.
« Reply #6040 on: September 05, 2015, 02:57:38 PM »
Heh. Paragon Chat chat. ;)
Hey, i know people who say they need to use the ATM machine...  ???
So far so good. Onward and upward!

Pyromantic

• New Efforts # 16,000!
  • Boss
« Reply #6041 on: September 05, 2015, 03:16:29 PM »
Hey, i know people who say they need to use the ATM machine...  ???

Do they use their PIN number to do that?

Ultimate15

• Boss
« Reply #6042 on: September 05, 2015, 04:09:00 PM »
Heh. Paragon Chat chat. ;)

Lol. Paragon Chit-Chat.

"COME BE A HERO IN PARAGON CHIT-CHAT!!! WELCOME TO SPARTA!!!"
Viva la Virtue!

chuckv3

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6043 on: September 05, 2015, 06:46:36 PM »
I hate to say this: without the CoH ip and with paragon chat/icon, Irish Girl's work feels like practice for eventual real work on a new game (unless we get those maps added to PC chat).

I'm assuming we'll get the IP when I say that.

Rejolt

• Elite Boss
  • Infinity Server 2005-2012
« Reply #6044 on: September 05, 2015, 08:00:31 PM »
Lol. Paragon Chit-Chat.

"COME BE A HERO IN PARAGON CHIT-CHAT!!! WELCOME TO SPARTA!!!"

Paragon Chit... Happens.

Sighs.

Valiance seemed to take off when they got that animator (did they get him or is he consulting?)

MMM/CoT seemed to take off when they purchased/got the rights to use and see the guts of an existing mmo-style game engine.

Should I read anything in to what those two groups needed to really get rolling?
Rejolt Industries LLC is now a thing. Woo!

worldweary

• Boss
« Reply #6045 on: September 05, 2015, 09:23:17 PM »
I need sleep protection for my defenders,blasters and controllers in my builds.Do I need status protection or status resistance or both?Even looking at the sets I'm have no idea how stop or limit sleep attacks.

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #6046 on: September 05, 2015, 09:48:28 PM »
I need sleep protection for my defenders,blasters and controllers in my builds.Do I need status protection or status resistance or both?Even looking at the sets I'm have no idea how stop or limit sleep attacks.
Resistance to status effects is usually of limited utility since it only reduces the time mezzed. Most enemies are obliging enough to break the sleep using their own attacks well before it wears off anyway. There are few powers that give sleep protection that come early enough to be useful and they're usually on really long timers. Blasters can attack while slept and most Controllers have pets to fight and draw aggro while slept. Defenders, Dark aside, not so much. Usually the best approach when solo for all three ATs to deal with enemies using sleep is to pop Break Frees or preemptively mez the enemies first.

worldweary

• Boss
« Reply #6047 on: September 05, 2015, 10:46:00 PM »
Thank You!!

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #6048 on: September 06, 2015, 07:28:51 AM »
Resistance to status effects is usually of limited utility since it only reduces the time mezzed. Most enemies are obliging enough to break the sleep using their own attacks well before it wears off anyway. There are few powers that give sleep protection that come early enough to be useful and they're usually on really long timers. Blasters can attack while slept and most Controllers have pets to fight and draw aggro while slept. Defenders, Dark aside, not so much. Usually the best approach when solo for all three ATs to deal with enemies using sleep is to pop Break Frees or preemptively mez the enemies first.
I don't know about you, but I always seemed to get slept by the Malta LTs then ignored for the duration of the Sleep. It was really irritating when I didn't have any break-frees.
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

Brigadine

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6049 on: September 06, 2015, 08:35:25 AM »
I don't know about you, but I always seemed to get slept by the Malta LTs then ignored for the duration of the Sleep. It was really irritating when I didn't have any break-frees.
Right? Just kinda chilling there. Not killing and not dying... SO AWKWARD.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #6050 on: September 06, 2015, 07:48:55 PM »
Resistance to status effects is usually of limited utility since it only reduces the time mezzed. Most enemies are obliging enough to break the sleep using their own attacks well before it wears off anyway.

1.  Just for completeness sake, resistance to status effects generally does reduce the duration of the mez, with one pseudo-exception: KB resistance reduces the magnitude of the KB.  That's because of the peculiar nature of KB, where KB is both a status boolean *and* a separate physics engine effect.

To simplify a bit, KB magnitude determines both *if* you are thrown, and *how far* you are thrown.  KB magnitude less than or equal to zero is no KB: if the KB effect is less than your protection nothing happens.  KB magnitude greater than zero but less than one is knockdown: you fall down, but aren't thrown.  KB mag greater than one throws you a distance related to the total magnitude of the KB effect.

Weirdly, most melee KB protection had both resistance and mag protection: specifically they had 100% resistance** plus protection.  Because they had 100% resistance and KB resistance isn't capped below 100% like damage resistance, just the resistance alone made them immune to KB.  The magnitude of the protection was basically irrelevant (it would be relevant to unresistable KB, but that didn't exist commonly).

2.  Status resistance was often belittled, but I personally think it did have some value in many cases.  For example, most players didn't know that the typical NPC hold was designed specifically to be non-perma.  That way a single such critter couldn't just perma-hold a player with no protection and kill them.  But the hold could have very high persistance: Illusionist blind for example could keep you held something like 85% of the time (if it hit).  But if you faced multiples you could still be perma-held, and if you faced them above even con their holds would increase in duration with the purple patch, and you could be perma-held, and some mezzes *were* capable of perma-holding, like the Malta stun.  Having resistances to these effects, particularly but not just when solo, could be the difference between breaking the mez fast enough to survive or not.

Sleeps, as you point out, were generally the exception because sleep was a "fragile hold" - damage broke it, so the odds of being perma-slept or even slept for a long period of time were low.

** Actually, they sort of had 10,000% resistance.  This was a vestigial example of the early devs that built the game being either mathematically illiterate or not understanding the game engine or both.  The powers set KB resistance to 100, on a scale of zero to one, with one being 100%.  So "100" is 100x 100%, or 10,000%.  Because there's no real difference between having 100% resistance to KB and having any other higher number, the error was never changed (also the game effectively caps KB resistance to 100% for magnitudes because higher numbers have no meaning***).  But if you're ever wondering why City of Data lists status powers as having "+10000% Res(Knockback, Knockup)" and what that could even mean, that's why.  Its not an error - at least not an error on City of Data's part.

*** On the other hand, resistances greater than 100% *do* have meaning when you're applying resistances to durations.  A conversation I had about that subject prompted, I think, the devs to make changes to how status resistances were capped and handed out which significantly increased - albeit not as high as I think was appropriate - the level of status resistance you could get in the invention system.  *Eventually* status resistance could have been a lot more valuable than we are discussing here, because we could have been talking about potentially very high values of resistance being achievable by players - well in excess of 100 percentage points****.

**** Don't get me started about the difference between % and percentage points.

Stitchified

• Boss
  • Errors are not in the art but in the artificers.
    • datebest.net - visit website and win smartphone!
« Reply #6051 on: September 06, 2015, 08:13:29 PM »
During this time Nexon tried a hostile takeover of NCSoft which they found a slight bit distracting. So far, NCSoft is working slowly but surely to close the deal.
Do what? Did Nexon really try to takeover NCsoft by force?

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #6052 on: September 06, 2015, 08:18:47 PM »

They attempted a hostile takeover on the company.  Given there track record I did not want cox to fall into their hands as they are a generic "money first" South Korean mom publisher, aka lockbox prone.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

worldweary

• Boss
« Reply #6053 on: September 06, 2015, 08:20:50 PM »
1.  Just for completeness sake, resistance to status effects generally does reduce the duration of the mez, with one pseudo-exception: KB resistance reduces the magnitude of the KB.  That's because of the peculiar nature of KB, where KB is both a status boolean *and* a separate physics engine effect.

To simplify a bit, KB magnitude determines both *if* you are thrown, and *how far* you are thrown.  KB magnitude less than or equal to zero is no KB: if the KB effect is less than your protection nothing happens.  KB magnitude greater than zero but less than one is knockdown: you fall down, but aren't thrown.  KB mag greater than one throws you a distance related to the total magnitude of the KB effect.

Weirdly, most melee KB protection had both resistance and mag protection: specifically they had 100% resistance** plus protection.  Because they had 100% resistance and KB resistance isn't capped below 100% like damage resistance, just the resistance alone made them immune to KB.  The magnitude of the protection was basically irrelevant (it would be relevant to unresistable KB, but that didn't exist commonly).

2.  Status resistance was often belittled, but I personally think it did have some value in many cases.  For example, most players didn't know that the typical NPC hold was designed specifically to be non-perma.  That way a single such critter couldn't just perma-hold a player with no protection and kill them.  But the hold could have very high persistance: Illusionist blind for example could keep you held something like 85% of the time (if it hit).  But if you faced multiples you could still be perma-held, and if you faced them above even con their holds would increase in duration with the purple patch, and you could be perma-held, and some mezzes *were* capable of perma-holding, like the Malta stun.  Having resistances to these effects, particularly but not just when solo, could be the difference between breaking the mez fast enough to survive or not.

Sleeps, as you point out, were generally the exception because sleep was a "fragile hold" - damage broke it, so the odds of being perma-slept or even slept for a long period of time were low.

** Actually, they sort of had 10,000% resistance.  This was a vestigial example of the early devs that built the game being either mathematically illiterate or not understanding the game engine or both.  The powers set KB resistance to 100, on a scale of zero to one, with one being 100%.  So "100" is 100x 100%, or 10,000%.  Because there's no real difference between having 100% resistance to KB and having any other higher number, the error was never changed (also the game effectively caps KB resistance to 100% for magnitudes because higher numbers have no meaning***).  But if you're ever wondering why City of Data lists status powers as having "+10000% Res(Knockback, Knockup)" and what that could even mean, that's why.  Its not an error - at least not an error on City of Data's part.

*** On the other hand, resistances greater than 100% *do* have meaning when you're applying resistances to durations.  A conversation I had about that subject prompted, I think, the devs to make changes to how status resistances were capped and handed out which significantly increased - albeit not as high as I think was appropriate - the level of status resistance you could get in the invention system.  *Eventually* status resistance could have been a lot more valuable than we are discussing here, because we could have been talking about potentially very high values of resistance being achievable by players - well in excess of 100 percentage points****.

**** Don't get me started about the difference between % and percentage points.

This is why I really try to have perma AM on my Rad.You get over 200% resistance to hold,stun,sleep and immobilize.

Remaugen

• Elite Boss
  • Android Clan of One
« Reply #6054 on: September 07, 2015, 01:52:39 AM »

As best I understand, Nexon did in fact launch a bidding war but failed to raise enough capitol and the inside support that they needed to pull it off. Certain key stockholders that they needed to swing decided not to play along or changed course. There are a lot of hurt feelings, and it probably isn't over yet.
We're almost there!  ;D

The RNG hates me.

Rejolt

• Elite Boss
  • Infinity Server 2005-2012
« Reply #6055 on: September 07, 2015, 02:00:44 AM »
When I farmed Rikti for the portals on my electric brute I always made sure to have the Aegis unique.  (Thanks to Cryptic math) The first few bits of mez resistance gave a few seconds reduction In holds which kept the LTs from stacking enough shots to stop me.
Rejolt Industries LLC is now a thing. Woo!

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #6056 on: September 07, 2015, 02:16:17 AM »

I guess it's too late to take this down the path of using /e drink for a chance at a Coffee buff.
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #6057 on: September 07, 2015, 04:12:04 AM »
I guess it's too late to take this down the path of using /e drink for a chance at a Coffee buff.
Only if the buff is named Cuppajo.

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #6058 on: September 07, 2015, 04:54:43 PM »

That's fantastic. Lol.
"Let's get dangerous..."
Lead Developer and Master of Mischief - Revival Project.
Revival website: APR.Pc-Logix.com

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #6059 on: September 07, 2015, 05:03:29 PM »

Could always rename speed boost that, especially for the idiots that think the powerset in question is only good for that :).

Edit: There was a guy roleplaying a little robot character that loved coffee on last night, to.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.