Author Topic: And the mask comes off.  (Read 1750416 times)

AlienOne

• HumanZero
  • Elite Boss
  • Resident Kheldian
Re: And the mask comes off.
« Reply #5800 on: July 08, 2015, 01:52:41 PM »
I'll see your Arkham Knight and raise you an Assassins Creed Unity

I never played Unity, but I got Arkham Knight, and it's every bit as bad as reported--completely unplayable. It's like watching a Viewmaster slideshow--even with trying some of the listed community "fixes."
"What COH did was to show [developers of other] MMOs what they could be like if they gave up on controlling everything in the game, and just made it something great to play."  - Johnny Joy Bringer

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5801 on: July 08, 2015, 02:46:31 PM »
I never played Unity, but I got Arkham Knight, and it's every bit as bad as reported--completely unplayable. It's like watching a Viewmaster slideshow--even with trying some of the listed community "fixes."
If you want an idea how bad Unity was, watch Yahtzee's review of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB3DrTkVgHw

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #5802 on: July 08, 2015, 02:47:39 PM »
If you want an idea how bad Unity was, watch Yahtzee's review of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB3DrTkVgHw

Yeah, but they didn't take Unity off the shelves, did they? They have the PC version of Arkham Knight... Now that's bad...

AlienOne

• HumanZero
  • Elite Boss
  • Resident Kheldian
« Reply #5803 on: July 08, 2015, 03:05:06 PM »
Yeah, but they didn't take Unity off the shelves, did they? They have the PC version of Arkham Knight... Now that's bad...

Yeah, I bought it a day before they took it off Steam without knowing that there were huge problems with it. I tried playing it, and it was horrible. What I want to know is...how does this get out the door? I would have thought that a company that large would have a halfway decent QC department...
"What COH did was to show [developers of other] MMOs what they could be like if they gave up on controlling everything in the game, and just made it something great to play."  - Johnny Joy Bringer

CrimsonCapacitor

• Captain of the Hard Ship
  • Boss
« Reply #5804 on: July 08, 2015, 03:06:09 PM »
Didn't they outsource the PC conversion?  Looks like someone didn't QC what came in from the outside developer...
Beware the mighty faceplant!

AlienOne

• HumanZero
  • Elite Boss
  • Resident Kheldian
« Reply #5805 on: July 08, 2015, 03:12:55 PM »
Didn't they outsource the PC conversion?  Looks like someone didn't QC what came in from the outside developer...

I actually thought it was amusing that when they did comment on it, they made sure to mention that it was an outsourced project. I'm curious about a partnership between the two of them in the future...haha!

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #5806 on: July 08, 2015, 03:37:33 PM »
I actually thought it was amusing that when they did comment on it, they made sure to mention that it was an outsourced project. I'm curious about a partnership between the two of them in the future...haha!

I wouldn't put any money down on them staying partners... :p

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
« Reply #5807 on: July 08, 2015, 04:30:00 PM »
The troubles with Unity and Arkham Knight highlight why pre-ordering games is a bad idea. They already have your money, as long as they ship something they'll likely get to keep it.

I recommend to people who actually give a damn what I think that they not buy day one releases or pre-orders. If more people did this maybe they would do a better job with QC.

I do understand the temptation though. I will pre-order something if I know i will love it no matter what or what day 1 problems it's likely to have. So far that's Bioshock and Borderlands. I want to support those games with my money.

This is similar to the problem with Early Access, except you are more likely to get screwed with Early Access.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

China Doll

• Minion
« Reply #5808 on: July 08, 2015, 10:39:44 PM »
Same thing can be said about Kickstarter campaigns

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5809 on: July 08, 2015, 11:53:29 PM »
Same thing can be said about Kickstarter campaigns

Kickstarter is a different situation.  Although there is fraud on Kickstarter, Kickstarter is also a buyer beware situation: you're supposed to know that in fact you aren't really buying anything at all.  You are supposed to be investing in a project which may not succeed and which often have no published timelines for success.  Kickstarter projects can fail, and its not automatically fraud if they fail.  Preorders of a product from a commercial company have a completely different presumption built around them.  If anything, Kickstarter projects are more likely to be delayed to the anger of its supporters than be shoved out the door in a poor state, specifically because the expectations are different there.

China Doll

• Minion
« Reply #5810 on: July 09, 2015, 12:10:49 AM »
True..But for me at least I would rather have something flawed in my hand that i spent money on and that will hopefully get fixed dwn the road.

Then money I donated on a KS campaign that did have a promise date of goals that came and went with nothing to show of it.

P51mus

• Boss
  • aka Pitho
« Reply #5811 on: July 09, 2015, 01:48:00 AM »

Steam refunds didn't exist when Unity released.

And only gave them like....two months to work on it.  Isn't that practically setting them up for failure?

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #5812 on: July 09, 2015, 07:27:35 AM »
Steam refunds didn't exist when Unity released.

And only gave them like....two months to work on it.  Isn't that practically setting them up for failure?

I said shelves, not Steam. Steam isn't the only method of buying the thing, you know.  Ever heard of actual retail stores and boxed games? Yeah, they're still a thing.

Also, the refund thing on Steam is completely irrelevant and has nothing to do with them delisting a product. They've done that plenty of times before.

Solitaire

• Elite Boss
  • Badge Hunting
« Reply #5813 on: July 09, 2015, 07:32:14 AM »
I said shelves, not Steam. Steam isn't the only method of buying the thing, you know.  Ever heard of actual retail stores and boxed games? Yeah, they're still a thing.

Also, the refund thing on Steam is completely irrelevant and has nothing to do with them delisting a product. They've done that plenty of times before.

Retail stores were my preferred method of obtaining PC Games, but sadly these days the shops are mostly taken up by console games and if I'm lucky they will have a tiny section of PC Games to browse. I'm one of the few that doesn't own a console, PC Gamer through and through.

Blackgrue

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5814 on: July 09, 2015, 08:11:52 AM »
Nate: I don't know if you still read this thread, but I'm curious. I know you're under an NDA but has anyone in the negotiations mentioned Paragon Chat?
Virtue native

Main characters:
Diz the Goblin
Projekt Redstorm

Surelle

« Reply #5815 on: July 09, 2015, 10:44:54 AM »
Nate: I don't know if you still read this thread, but I'm curious. I know you're under an NDA but has anyone in the negotiations mentioned Paragon Chat?

If you dig around in those sub-forums, it's been mentioned that they're aware of its existence.  As no one has mentioned a C & D nor taken Paragon Chat offline, then clearly it isn't a big concern for them.  What are they gonna say, that it's making them lose money on their CoX that's sitting there in a crumpled heap in the corner of their basement?   ;)

I really hope the simple fact that poor Nate is here wanting his Paragon Chat fix like the rest of us isn't going to lead to him getting constantly harassed about how the CoX IP lease etc. is going all the time. 

*sighs exasperatedly*

There's a "wake me" thread pinned at the top of this very sub-forum like it's been for months now.  Sign up, and you won't miss a thing if this year and a half old Hail Mary pass ever gets caught, or if any other Really Big News Concerning NCSoft hits.  Other than that, there's nothing to say.  Ask Robert DiGregorio over at CoH Survivors what happens when people talk.  And by that I mean "blab details that should be kept quiet."   :P
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 02:14:58 PM by Surelle »

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #5816 on: July 09, 2015, 12:09:15 PM »
Other than that, there's nothing to say.  Ask Robert DiGregorio over at CoH Survivors what happens when people talk.
He deletes the comments he disagrees with or that disagree with or question him?
So far so good. Onward and upward!

Surelle

« Reply #5817 on: July 09, 2015, 02:15:15 PM »
He deletes the comments he disagrees with or that disagree with or question him?

Haha, yeah, that  too it seems.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #5818 on: July 10, 2015, 10:29:47 PM »
Or if he sees a comment he does not like he sends them a message threatening to kick them out of the group. One such encountered when he said "If the buyers do not say something he will." I remember this because I made a comment saying it was not his place to say something like that. Similarly I had a few friends that said the same thing. Robert I think is just full of himself thinking he has any kind of power because he runs a Facebook page. I like the other groups I am in. I respect those admins, they try to keep everything even and not really biased, whereas Robert I have no respect for.
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #5819 on: July 11, 2015, 01:59:53 AM »
Or if he sees a comment he does not like he sends them a message threatening to kick them out of the group. One such encountered when he said "If the buyers do not say something he will." I remember this because I made a comment saying it was not his place to say something like that. Similarly I had a few friends that said the same thing. Robert I think is just full of himself thinking he has any kind of power because he runs a Facebook page. I like the other groups I am in. I respect those admins, they try to keep everything even and not really biased, whereas Robert I have no respect for.
Oh yeah, i've gotten some querulous/threatening PMs from him for making fairly whimsical jokes.
So far so good. Onward and upward!