Author Topic: And the mask comes off.  (Read 1747829 times)

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
Re: And the mask comes off.
« Reply #5040 on: February 19, 2015, 06:39:08 AM »
No f'ing politics.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #5041 on: February 19, 2015, 07:15:35 AM »
I once herded the entire Crystal room in the Eden Trial on a Fire Tank - then 2 blasters nuked and destroyed all the Crstals except for the huge amount of baby spawns.

Aaah, those were the days.  I have fond memories of 6 blasters and I nuking almost the whole Drek map, after the fire tank had gathered everything.  Talk about frame drops!  I think it dropped to about 1 frame per 10 seconds after trigging that bugger!  3 of the blasters PC's crashed!

KABOOM!!

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5042 on: February 19, 2015, 07:52:24 AM »
I once herded the entire Crystal room in the Eden Trial on a Fire Tank - then 2 blasters nuked and destroyed all the Crstals except for the huge amount of baby spawns.

I'm trying to remember what precise moment this would have been possible.  Originally, generators buffed each other without limit, which meant people who didn't know that and herded DE would discover the cairns had buffed everything to the resistance cap while the quartz had everything buffed to the tohit ceiling.  Nukes wouldn't hit hard enough to take out multibuffed cairns if I recall correctly until that cross-buffing was removed.  And teams relying on defensive bubbles or powers would simply melt.

It was small consolation when the inexperienced Invuln tank would try to herd up a map of DE and discover his invincibility became suddenly very vincible.  I saw many teams have no choice but to try to reset the map because the concentration of generators was just totally out of their league.

In any case, this sounds like it would have had to happen before the aggro cap and after the generator buff immunity, but I'm not sure what that particular overlap of time was.

P51mus

• Boss
  • aka Pitho
« Reply #5043 on: February 19, 2015, 09:19:17 AM »
The radiation and dark debuffs had no range limit. You could superspeed to the end of a mission - debuff one and run back and literally draw the entire mission to a couple of waiting blastes and clear the entire mission in 5 minutes.

I used to clear missions on my dark/dark defender with that.  Run to the end of the map, toggle darkest night on the end group, go back to the start.  Wait around a corner, drop Tar patch, summon Dark fuzzy, wait for the swarm.  Then Melt them with tentacles/nightfall.

silvers1

• Boss
« Reply #5044 on: February 19, 2015, 01:00:11 PM »
I used to clear missions on my dark/dark defender with that.  Run to the end of the map, toggle darkest night on the end group, go back to the start.  Wait around a corner, drop Tar patch, summon Dark fuzzy, wait for the swarm.  Then Melt them with tentacles/nightfall.

I'm curious what the benefit of melting them at the entrance is vs just melting them where they are.
--- Hercules - Freedom Server ---

Ghostly

• Underling
« Reply #5045 on: February 19, 2015, 01:24:42 PM »
I'm trying to remember what precise moment this would have been possible.  Originally, generators buffed each other without limit, which meant people who didn't know that and herded DE would discover the cairns had buffed everything to the resistance cap while the quartz had everything buffed to the tohit ceiling.  Nukes wouldn't hit hard enough to take out multibuffed cairns if I recall correctly until that cross-buffing was removed.  And teams relying on defensive bubbles or powers would simply melt.

It was small consolation when the inexperienced Invuln tank would try to herd up a map of DE and discover his invincibility became suddenly very vincible.  I saw many teams have no choice but to try to reset the map because the concentration of generators was just totally out of their league.

In any case, this sounds like it would have had to happen before the aggro cap and after the generator buff immunity, but I'm not sure what that particular overlap of time was.

You know your beloved dead game is actually real dead when, looking for recent updates on a topic related to its actual resurrection, you can only read pages, pages, and more pages of bittersweet old memories and technical issues about obsolete mechanics.  :'(

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5046 on: February 19, 2015, 02:09:27 PM »
You know your beloved dead game is actually real dead when, looking for recent updates on a topic related to its actual resurrection, you can only read pages, pages, and more pages of bittersweet old memories and technical issues about obsolete mechanics.  :'(

I keep hearing this conversation whenever someone mentions CoH being dead...

The Dead Collector: Bring out yer dead.

[a man puts a body on the cart]

Large Man with Dead Body: Here's one.

The Dead Collector: That'll be ninepence.

The Dead Body That Claims It Isn't: I'm not dead.

The Dead Collector: What?

Large Man with Dead Body: Nothing. There's your ninepence.

The Dead Body That Claims It Isn't: I'm not dead.

The Dead Collector: 'Ere, he says he's not dead.

Large Man with Dead Body: Yes he is.

The Dead Body That Claims It Isn't: I'm not.

The Dead Collector: He isn't.

Large Man with Dead Body: Well, he will be soon, he's very ill.

The Dead Body That Claims It Isn't: I'm getting better.

Large Man with Dead Body: No you're not, you'll be stone dead in a moment.

The Dead Collector: Well, I can't take him like that. It's against regulations.

The Dead Body That Claims It Isn't: I don't want to go on the cart.

Large Man with Dead Body: Oh, don't be such a baby.

The Dead Collector: I can't take him.

The Dead Body That Claims It Isn't: I feel fine.

Large Man with Dead Body: Oh, do me a favor.

The Dead Collector: I can't.

Large Man with Dead Body: Well, can you hang around for a couple of minutes? He won't be long.

ending yet to be decided.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 07:46:50 PM by Twisted Toon »
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

Surelle

« Reply #5047 on: February 19, 2015, 03:39:00 PM »
Awww, Twisted!  That had such a bad ending!  And I was figuring everything would be okay after all that....

Go!  Go change that ending!  Naaaaowwww!   ;D

PS/ Did you make that up?

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5048 on: February 19, 2015, 04:03:24 PM »
Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Sihada

• Minion
« Reply #5050 on: February 19, 2015, 04:49:11 PM »
Amen.  I'm glad for the new sticky and I've turned on notifications, but I'm not holding my breath.

Drauger9

• Elite Boss
    • My gaming blog
« Reply #5051 on: February 19, 2015, 05:54:10 PM »
You know your beloved dead game is actually real dead when, looking for recent updates on a topic related to its actual resurrection, you can only read pages, pages, and more pages of bittersweet old memories and technical issues about obsolete mechanics.

I like to pretend the hamsters are on strike and once they reach an agreement with the new crew. The game will be back up and running......

I MISS MY DEMON/STORM MM!!!!

Sorry had to get that off my chest. :(

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #5052 on: February 19, 2015, 06:00:23 PM »
Awww, Twisted!  That had such a bad ending!  And I was figuring everything would be okay after all that....

Go!  Go change that ending!  Naaaaowwww!   ;D

PS/ Did you make that up?

How could you not know the great Monty Python!?!? For shame! You ought to go sit on the Shame Step for that!

P51mus

• Boss
  • aka Pitho
« Reply #5053 on: February 19, 2015, 06:07:28 PM »
I'm curious what the benefit of melting them at the entrance is vs just melting them where they are.

Well, at the time, there was no difficulty slider so soloing would have you facing off against 3 minions or 1 minion/1 leutenant in a group.  Also there was no cap on aggro or AOEs, so you could just gather up an entire map and nuke them at once.

Dragging them to the entrance specifically just made sure I had a safe place to wait for them.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5054 on: February 19, 2015, 06:15:59 PM »
Well, at the time, there was no difficulty slider so soloing would have you facing off against 3 minions or 1 minion/1 leutenant in a group.  Also there was no cap on aggro or AOEs, so you could just gather up an entire map and nuke them at once.

Dragging them to the entrance specifically just made sure I had a safe place to wait for them.

Just in case it wasn't clear to the player who asked the question, the advantage was speed.  Dark, like Rad, had a set up time.  It took time to cast toggle(s) and many of the powers had longish recharge.  If you were solo and using all that power against just a couple of minions the time it took to kill three was kind of high.  But if you herded them up into a big pile it didn't take that much longer to wipe out the entire pile because AoEs didn't have target caps which meant your kill speed went up dramatically.

After difficulty sliders came out it was possible for a solo player to increase difficulty to the point where the individual spawn points generated enough stuff to be interesting to fight for a very strong player.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5055 on: February 19, 2015, 06:18:41 PM »
I like to pretend the hamsters are on strike and once they reach an agreement with the new crew. The game will be back up and running......

Drauger9

• Elite Boss
    • My gaming blog
« Reply #5056 on: February 19, 2015, 06:56:35 PM »

CrimsonCapacitor

• Captain of the Hard Ship
  • Boss
« Reply #5057 on: February 19, 2015, 07:18:59 PM »
How could you not know the great Monty Python!?!? For shame! You ought to go sit on the Shame Step for that!

I'm ALMOST tempted to convert "The Dead Parrot" to COH terms.
Beware the mighty faceplant!

Minotaur

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5058 on: February 19, 2015, 07:51:43 PM »

Bet they weigh the same as a duck

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5059 on: February 19, 2015, 08:09:07 PM »
I'm ALMOST tempted to convert "The Dead Parrot" to COH terms.

Just don't say mattress.  We may not have a big enough bag for FFM.