Author Topic: And the mask comes off.  (Read 1749559 times)

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
Re: And the mask comes off.
« Reply #2380 on: September 16, 2014, 10:26:22 PM »
As an amusing side note: http://ts4news.com/post/94541924952/89-features-missing-from-the-sims-4

People notice when you start messing with things in their favorite game--or as in this case, taking away scores of things away that people liked in the "predecessor." Sometimes I think devs don't think we'll notice if they change "one little thing."

We do.
As for TS4, you've got that right.  TS3 has kept me company for 2 years without CoH.  But I cancelled my pre-order of TS4 as soon as the advance reviews started coming in.  They took everything I loved about TS3 and threw it away, taking several steps back in game evolution; people already call TS4 "The Sims 1.4" or "The Sims 2.5," and review after review keeps rolling in about what a disappointing game it is and how all the good features were taken out or heavily nerfed.

A lesson for CoH successor devs indeed...

Surelle

« Reply #2381 on: September 16, 2014, 10:44:46 PM »
As for TS4, you've got that right.  TS3 has kept me company for 2 years without CoH.  But I cancelled my pre-order of TS4 as soon as the advance reviews started coming in.  They took everything I loved about TS3 and threw it away, taking several steps back in game evolution; people already call TS4 "The Sims 1.4" or "The Sims 2.5," and review after review keeps rolling in about what a disappointing game it is and how all the good features were taken out or heavily nerfed.

Wow, that's so bizarre!  I always wonder why developers ever bother nerfing single-player games.  What do they care if you're as powerful as a god all alone in your computer chair?  Lol.  I mean, they already made money off of you when you bought the box.  Why would they want to tick you off and lose you again before the extra DLC or expansions come out?   :P  It's not like you're competing with anyone or "leveling too fast" against other players or anything.  You're the only one there!

Oh well.   Sorry for the thread derail.  Back to thumb-twiddling and seat spinning until we finally hear word back about how the negotiations for CoX are going....

Pherdnut

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2382 on: September 16, 2014, 10:46:26 PM »

Okay... That sucks. But why did you buy an EA sequel in 2014? Was it EA's abuse or incompetence that won you over? It was Origin wasn't it? Origin is awesome.

Battlechimp

• Boss
« Reply #2383 on: September 16, 2014, 10:47:37 PM »
GRRR, all this discussion about blasters makes me pine for good old Defiance, I wish it could be implemented in COH 1.5 instead of that ultra-lame "able to use T1 and T2 primary attacks while mezzed", old defiance was thousands of times more epic

For me, I'm the complete opposite. I hated the original defiance.  But once the new one came out... wow, I liked playing blasters before, but that was a huge game changer for me.  I absolutely loved being able to still shoot (or use things like power thrust) while held/mezzed

The old defiance I barely got any use out of it.  The damage buff only really made any noticeable difference (at least to me) when you were almost dead, so one, maybe two shots while getting huge buffs then you died. Dying on a blaster is usually so quick, you only got a second or two use out of the buff.  But using powers while held.... got use out of that all day long
Some men were born to greatness, others had it thrust upon them.  Me?  I punted. - Col Cranston Snord

Blow things up! Blow things up! Blow things up! Blo... wait, not that!! - Jammers everywhen

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2384 on: September 16, 2014, 10:52:50 PM »
Okay... That sucks. But why did you buy an EA sequel in 2014? Was it EA's abuse or incompetence that won you over? It was Origin wasn't it? Origin is awesome.
Oh, yeah, Origin is just so awesome I don't have words for it!  ;)

Honestly, the only time Origin comes into play for me with TS3 is when the game is updating.  Aside from that, I don't allow it run or auto-start on my PC.

As for TS3, I was looking for something to fill the CoH void and Champions didn't look like it.  At the time, TS3 Supernatural had just come out and that looked interesting to me.  With that and TS3 World Adventures, I've had a chance to run around exotic settings, casting spells and having exotic adventures.  A "poor man's substitute" for CoH, but it's kept me company, gaming-wise.

Pherdnut

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2385 on: September 16, 2014, 11:05:03 PM »
Oh, yeah, Origin is just so awesome I don't have words for it!  ;)

Honestly, the only time Origin comes into play for me with TS3 is when the game is updating.  Aside from that, I don't allow it run or auto-start on my PC.

As for TS3, I was looking for something to fill the CoH void and Champions didn't look like it.  At the time, TS3 Supernatural had just come out and that looked interesting to me.  With that and TS3 World Adventures, I've had a chance to run around exotic settings, casting spells and having exotic adventures.  A "poor man's substitute" for CoH, but it's kept me company, gaming-wise.

Well I think I'm a rarity in hating EA and Origin so much that I refuse to play Mass Effect 3 until it's Origin-free. There's no substitute for COH, IMO. Nothing really sates that craving. The only non-ancient games I've been hooked to for a while have been FTL, Neverwinter Nights 2 and the new X-Com games. Secret World was 'meh. SWTOR really did turn out to be WoW with glowbats. And Champions was just awkward. Also I suspected they were involved with COH's closing at the time and was full of bile and hatred. Maybe I should try it again.

opprime2828

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2386 on: September 16, 2014, 11:16:10 PM »

The old defiance I barely got any use out of it.  The damage buff only really made any noticeable difference (at least to me) when you were almost dead, so one, maybe two shots while getting huge buffs then you died. Dying on a blaster is usually so quick, you only got a second or two use out of the buff.  But using powers while held.... got use out of that all day long

I always felt like they got the inherents for Blasters and Scrappers reversed.  Defiance 1.0 was based on the idea that as your HP dropped, your damage went up, which doesn't work on a toon meant to be a glass cannon. The HP dropping meant you were pretty much already dead.  Likewise, the idea that you landed a "critical" hit, to me, meant the mark of precision a marksman would have.  Blasters should have been the ones having critical hits that did the occassional double ranged damage because it was a very accurate shot, while Scrappers, who were the ones often in the thick of things, had the will to defy the odds and fight even harder the more they were hurt.  Granted, that's eventually what Brutes got, but it should have been Scrapper's inherent first. Brutes Fury should have been more like Dominators' inherent, where they built it over time and then could release it at will in a fit of rage. Interestingly, this would also have solved the problem brutes had of having to constantly fight non-stop in order to do decent damage, and would even have allowed us to have Ice Brutes. :-(  It would also have made the change they made to brutes where you gain fury faster and lose it more slowly unnecessary.   

For me, it should have gone:

Blasters: Inherent: Critical hits = Your expert control over your attacks sometime hit so perfectly they do more damage than expected. (extra damage when an attack "crits".)

Scrappers: Inherent: Defiance: = Your a fighter, inside and out, and the more pain you take, the more determined you are to dish it out. (as your HP drops, your damage increases.)

Brutes: Inherent: Fury: = As a brute, you are driven by rage. The more you fight, the deadlier you become. (This would have been changed to become more like domination, where you build rage while fighting (attacking or being damaged) and unleash when charged to give you a massive temporary boost in damage. Unlike domination, it could be released at any time, but the more charged it is the bigger than damage boost.)

Of course, the two archetypes I'm missing most are Corruptors and Controllers.

Corruptors: I have yet to find a game where debuffing is as useful as it was in CoH.  The other three MMOs I've used really seem to make debuffing negligible, at best.  Corruptors, with their ability to debuff and their ability to Scourge, were just plain FUN.  The right combos made you feel perfectly useful on a team but also perfectly able to solo. 

Controllers:  I just haven't found another game that takes controlling seriously at all.  They seem almost completely unique to City of Heroes, and they were a great balance for just about any team make up.

My favorites, in order, are:

Corruptors: Scourge FTW!
Brutes: The best of both worlds from a melee standpoint. Hulk Smash!
Controllers: Pets and holds and buffs, oh my!
Blasters: I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of all this dying.
Masterminds: All your base are belong to us!
Fortunatas: Now you see me, now you're dead.
Scrappers: I'll just tank these guys while the tank makes his way back from the hospital.
Stalkers: Nothing like killing a boss in one hit. Repeatedly.
Defenders: Honestly, Defenders rock. I know that. But I found them SOOO hard to solo.
Banes: Meh.  Cool guns...but crab arms?  No thank you.
Tankers: Boring. But survivable.
Warshades: So fun.  Seriously.  So fun.
Peacebringers: I hate knockback...but so fun.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 12:01:42 AM by opprime2828 »

Shard

• Lieutenant
    • City of Titans
« Reply #2387 on: September 16, 2014, 11:20:27 PM »
Please redirect me if there's a better place to ask but I'm wondering if any of the Unreal 4 types have tried Daz 3D + Decimator to export characters to an Unreal Engine 4-friendly lower-poly count format. I like Daz enough that it feels like Decimator would be worth springing for if the results are decent. Makehuman's not bad, but I just don't have the blender skills to take it much further yet and it's not as exciting to try and get university mo-cap data working on a bunch of ken dolls with blender t-shirts that all have the same haircut.

The majority of our assets are coming from either Houdini or Maya.

I'm also wondering if it's likely Titan will be using Apex file formats for the clothing. I could see the physics on that stuff being potentially heavy for an MMO client for a general audience much of which is coming from a 10-year-old game, but zomg t3h costumez!!.

Apex clothing is a big part of the plan.  The most recent art update showed a simple piece of apexable clothing.  By our estimation, the "current average" video card at the time of launch will be more than capable of what we're expecting.
Missing Worlds Media - Lead Pain in the .. well everything.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #2388 on: September 16, 2014, 11:55:59 PM »
Nope, I am out of the loop and unless this one fails - happily so. If it fails then all hands on deck and we can try something else. I actually think this will work as NCSoft could have just walked away at any time. The fact they are showing interest and not losing the game files just the IP probably helps considerably. They have literally nothing to lose in this deal as the game pops back up same as when it shut and they get money. Win/Win for everyone. Then other groups can lease any IP they want to add to their own canon and it seems a fair deal.

The card game idea that Matt Miller was taling about might be one of those benefitting from this deal. Once the IP is open to be leased it will be fun to see what projects spawn from it.
I understand this :) You are awesome to get the ball rolling again. I know I have said this many times but it needs to be said again thank you for everything you did :)
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Pherdnut

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2389 on: September 17, 2014, 12:59:00 AM »

Apex clothing is a big part of the plan.  The most recent art update showed a simple piece of apexable clothing.  By our estimation, the "current average" video card at the time of launch will be more than capable of what we're expecting.

Awesome. Just caught up with that update. Drooled. Now I just need to figure out the cheesy cheap-o and open source ways to get some of that done.

Edit: You guys really need to find a killer comic artist to add some art to those story updates. There has to be one in this community somewhere.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2390 on: September 17, 2014, 01:27:14 AM »
I was never implying I didn't want changes to Blasters.  I just spent so much time on mine, from the day I started playing to the day I finished(shutdown), that I didn't realize that it might not be that simple for everyone else.  So when I hear that they aren't good my first thought was "yes they are" but really what was being said is "it takes more effort to make them good then other classes"

Compared to most other MMOs, blasters were good.  Its just that everything else was spectacular.  CoH blasters would be overpowered in almost any other MMO, but in City of Heroes players expectations were far higher.  Just like seeing players in other MMOs unable to get from one spot to another spot because an inconvenient tree was in the way makes most CoH players gag, in most MMOs the response to "my character dies a lot" is usually "get help, slow down, buy the right gear, or all three" but in City of Heroes that was (in my opinion) unacceptable.

Whether Blasters were overpowered, underpowered, or just right, was a function of the reasonable expectations players were primed to have, based on the performance of just about every other archetype in the game.  Not about whether they could function at all, which they could.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2391 on: September 17, 2014, 01:36:11 AM »
GRRR, all this discussion about blasters makes me pine for good old Defiance, I wish it could be implemented in COH 1.5 instead of that ultra-lame "able to use T1 and T2 primary attacks while mezzed", old defiance was thousands of times more epic

Evidence suggests that the playerbase was in fact as silly as Statesman implied he thought they were, when he suggested that the best way to make the most of Defiance (1.0) was to tell your team mates not to heal you.  D1.0's net overall contribution to the game statistically was even more dead blasters, with the words "check out my damage" still on their lips while the rest of them was still smoldering.

If you grew up playing blapper like I did for a lot of my early career and you could handle it, D1.0 was awesome.  If you were any of the blasters that D1.0 was actually supposed to help at the time, it was giving a swarm of moths a lit candle for Christmas.

Giving an archetype that is dying too often a damage buff that only works when they are about to die would have been the most awesome punking of an MMO playerbase of all time, if the devs had done it intentionally.

Ultimate15

• Boss
« Reply #2392 on: September 17, 2014, 01:46:01 AM »
It's not going to happen any faster or slower whether Nate or Ironwolf is the one telling us when it happens.  And as for information leaking out early, I think we've all had enough of the trouble that comes of that (Facebook anyone?).  We're better off not knowing anything more or hearing anything more until the deal is either finalized or permanently turned down.

Honestly, I kinda agree with this.

I am by no means the most appropriate/informed figure, nor am I by any means in a position of authority of any kind in these matters. However, I absolutely mirror Surelle's sentiments - perhaps it would be best to just hold off on any further updates with the masses until things are absolutely finalized/confirmed? As Nate had pointed out in the first post, there are certain business methods at play here that need to be taken highly into consideration with every step in the process.

...But yeah. It's hard to be patient. Like...really hard. AND THESE ANGELUS VIDEOS, UGH.
Viva la Virtue!

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2393 on: September 17, 2014, 02:22:59 AM »
It's not going to happen any faster or slower whether Nate or Ironwolf is the one telling us when it happens.  And as for information leaking out early, I think we've all had enough of the trouble that comes of that (Facebook anyone?).  We're better off not knowing anything more or hearing anything more until the deal is either finalized or permanently turned down.

My sentiments exactly.

brothermutant

• New Efforts # 14,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2394 on: September 17, 2014, 02:35:00 AM »
Who here remembers when blasters would fly up real hi in zones, drop and take max dmg (left with one health) before popping aim/build up and nuke? Used to MURDER crowds that way.

I like your idea for swapping out the old Defiance with scrappers' innate. It would make much more sense that way, I agree.

As to favorite ATs (and how I feel about them):
MM (SOOO much fun. For the person who thinks s/he knows everything. Once you get the concept of how to control them down, it is so much gravy)
Scrapper (Decent def/res, nice Health, and HUGE damage. Favorite quote: Look at these CRITTIES!)
Stalker (So close to Scrapper, its almost the same, but who doesn't like to stealth smack stuff. I mean really? Plus the skippin minions all the way to the boss before team teleport? Priceless.)
Defender/Corruptor (Luv the buffs more than the dmg, so that's why the order is Def>Corr for me. My Dark/Ice Def used to MELT stuff on the Tar Patch. Dual NUKES FTW!)
Soldiers (I liked all of them, even made one straight Hunter using the rifle although I did dip into BANE armor. I wasn't completely stupid. Crabs would have looked better, IMHO, if they made the 4 legs pop up one over each shoulder and one next to each side of your toon's waist.)
Brutes (I must say, I didn't like Brutes as much as Scrappers/Stalkers cuz I always felt I had to either TANK for the team I was on OR run everywhere ASAP to keep my FURY up.)
Blasters (Was more of a Blapper first and a Blaster second but whatev. Still fun doin damage but soloing was a true pain.)
Trollers/Dominators (Was fun for the buffs/debuffs but really lacked in the dmg dept for my trollers (never fire/kin and never will). And Doms were the opposite. They felt like safe Blasters...if that makes any sense, but no real debuffing.)
Tanks (They were fun at times, nice to feel the breeze from all that whiffing when you had one with soft capped def, but in the end, Brutes were even better I thought. Still, my Supergirl clone was pretty pimped out.)
Fortunata/Warshades/PBs (HATED all three.  These sets (as well as Soldiers above) seemed to be more geared towards teammate cooperation. I mean, did you ever run with two or more of these on your 8-man team? Good GAWD the BONUSES!! Always tried to like them, I really did. Rerolled them several times but alas, Fortunata was boring, and WSs and PBs kept getting ganked when I would solo and hit those purple slingin A...Holes.)

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #2395 on: September 17, 2014, 03:32:33 AM »
For me, I'm the complete opposite. I hated the original defiance.  But once the new one came out... wow, I liked playing blasters before, but that was a huge game changer for me.  I absolutely loved being able to still shoot (or use things like power thrust) while held/mezzed

Both were good, IMO. Defiance 1.0 was especially a life saver for me in PvP. I think by the time 2.0 came out, I had drifted in and out of the game, and PvP had died :/ So 2.0 was great in PvE.

Who here remembers when blasters would fly up real hi in zones, drop and take max dmg (left with one health) before popping aim/build up and nuke? Used to MURDER crowds that way.

Oh man, when I got really desperate I tried that in PvP one time... except the bad guy had dropped caltrops, so I hit the ground... and that was it. His words were something like: "What is this zone coming to? Now we've got dead blasters falling from the skies."
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #2396 on: September 17, 2014, 03:36:35 AM »

The community was nice enough to give MWM the money to spend on nice tools in the form of the kickstarter, and they're lucky enough to have people experienced in it. (Both are things I'd love to get my hands on!)

Personally, I am *SO* freaking excited for Apex enabled clothing in CoT and Revival. It's something that constantly drove me mad in CoH. It's the #1 reason I never worse skirts, dresses, or long hair. TOO...FREAKING...STATIC. GAH.
"Let's get dangerous..."
Lead Developer and Master of Mischief - Revival Project.
Revival website: APR.Pc-Logix.com

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #2397 on: September 17, 2014, 03:39:03 AM »
Please redirect me if there's a better place to ask but I'm wondering if any of the Unreal 4 types have tried Daz 3D + Decimator to export characters to an Unreal Engine 4-friendly lower-poly count format. I like Daz enough that it feels like Decimator would be worth springing for if the results are decent. Makehuman's not bad, but I just don't have the blender skills to take it much further yet and it's not as exciting to try and get university mo-cap data working on a bunch of ken dolls with blender t-shirts that all have the same haircut.

I'm also wondering if it's likely Titan will be using Apex file formats for the clothing. I could see the physics on that stuff being potentially heavy for an MMO client for a general audience much of which is coming from a 10-year-old game, but zomg t3h costumez!!.

I have not tried Daz 3D myself, and I...don't...actually know much about it.
Makehuman however, I am a big fan of. It's still got a long ways to go, but the concept is an amazing one. Especially if you're trying to develop a game or something on a tight budget.

And assuming your computer isn't from 10 years ago... It should run fine. There are always settings to reduce graphics if you run into lag.
"Let's get dangerous..."

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #2398 on: September 17, 2014, 03:40:24 AM »
Licensing out the IP could be nice.  It would be great to see a finished City of Heroes RPG or more HeroClix figures, for instance, or maybe even a new comic book or a movie some day.

I would...go to some very great lengths for more CoH HeroClix.
Really for any CoH swag in general! :D
I SO don't have enough!
"Let's get dangerous..."

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #2399 on: September 17, 2014, 03:47:01 AM »

I think it's really unlikely that there will be any new information until the deal either goes through or dies. There...just isn't anything to tell. -shrugs-
If so...it will most likely come straight from Nate. I doubt he'd pass up the honor of being the one to tell people the game is back. (Although...He might pass on being the one to say the deal failed...)
"Let's get dangerous..."