Author Topic: And the mask comes off.  (Read 1750012 times)

Remaugen

• Elite Boss
  • Android Clan of One
Re: And the mask comes off.
« Reply #2100 on: September 12, 2014, 05:26:27 PM »
Alright, I'm digging through the Issue 24 change log.
There certainly were quite a number of changes... But, So far...Everything looks good.
So. I *think* I'm going to go ahead and say it...

Revival will feature Issue 24.

Woot!   ;D
There was a lot of good stuff happening in I24.

It appears CityofHeroes.com won't resolve.

I noticed that too, I have been checking every other day or so. Of course it means nothing, but it continues to fuel my optimism!

We're almost there!   ;D

We're almost there!  ;D

The RNG hates me.

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2101 on: September 12, 2014, 05:32:52 PM »
There certainly were quite a number of changes... But, So far...Everything looks good.

Wonderful!  As you may have discerned, I'm very passionate about CoH lore.  :)

And i24 was the final chapter of a 2 year, 7 issues long epic saga with Praetoria.

Napalmrain

• Underling
« Reply #2102 on: September 12, 2014, 05:52:47 PM »

I noticed that too, I have been checking every other day or so. Of course it means nothing, but it continues to fuel my optimism!

I think it does mean something has happened. That page was up for a long time, and all of a sudden when the deal is close to happening it goes down? I think the deal is done and they no longer have the rights to display that page. And the new owners are getting ready for a new page reveal incoming soon.

Sophronisba

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2103 on: September 12, 2014, 06:14:30 PM »
Eh, I'm a little skeptical of that reasoning. If the domain didn't still belong to NCSoft, then it wouldn't be redirecting to their home page.

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2104 on: September 12, 2014, 06:18:49 PM »
I think it does mean something has happened. That page was up for a long time, and all of a sudden when the deal is close to happening it goes down? I think the deal is done and they no longer have the rights to display that page. And the new owners are getting ready for a new page reveal incoming soon.
From your lips to the ears of the gods of gaming...

ortophonic

• Underling
« Reply #2105 on: September 12, 2014, 06:21:38 PM »

I'm really hoping this.

Hobgoblin Steve

• Underling
« Reply #2106 on: September 12, 2014, 06:23:49 PM »
Eh, I'm a little skeptical of that reasoning. If the domain didn't still belong to NCSoft, then it wouldn't be redirecting to their home page.

I don't buy it either, however to answer your question;

its possible they redirect it for purposes of branding rights. That is, a deal happened (again, I don't think so, but just to play the advocate here) and part of it is that any likeness or branding is now rights of X..etc..

So, you go to the webpage, and it redirects due to not being able to lead to the assumption that NCSOFT owns those images/game/whathaveyou.

:shrugs: my quick analysis of the situation

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2107 on: September 12, 2014, 06:29:13 PM »
It is a player-centric view. I am of the opinion that people who consider getting game rewards faster through paid items "pay to win" are jealous (I am guilty of such jealousy myself). I mean, so what if someone gets more merits than you?

The reason why I say the standard should be what the game design reflects is that in the end, whether any one player thinks something is reasonable or not, they have to face the truth that whatever the devs think will ultimately alter the game around them.

You can care whether other players earn more rewards than you or you can not care.  But MMO devs care, and ours specifically cared, and those facts will ultimately cause your gameplay experience to change.  If enough people quickQ, the average datamined runtime for Q would drop and its base merit value would drop.  If the average leveling rate dramatically increased the devs would have adjusted the difficulty higher or the rewards lower - they did it twice before (in both cases *increasing* reward rates to improve leveling speed because it was lower than their target).

Pay to win doesn't just matter in terms of player psychology, although MMO devs are also often concerned about that.  Its also because it can become the new norm, and that has a direct impact on *everyone's* game play.

For most MMOs, its also true that you can accuse players of being jealous, but if it makes them less likely to continue to subscribe and play the game it doesn't matter if that feeling is valid or not.  MMOs are not about teaching gaming morality, they are about convincing people to spend their valuable time and money on them because their entertainment value is deemed worthy.  Its a careful dynamic balance delivering that value in an MMO where everyone's needs are different but in subtle and not so subtle ways everyone will be comparing what they get against what they perceive as everyone else getting.  And fairness, as abstract and ill-defined as it is, is critical to keeping players around.  A perception of unfairness is one of the most destructive forces in any multiplayer environment.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2108 on: September 12, 2014, 06:32:29 PM »

That seems unlikely to me.  Some of the authoritative DNS servers no longer resolve the name.  Some still do.  Some resolve www. and others only .cityofheroes.com.  The server itself seems to be completely down.  That sounds more like a mistake or improper housekeeping than a deliberate attempt to do something structured.

If NCSoft was going to sell the CityofHeroes domain name along with the IP, they would have transferred ownership of the domain registration to the buying party, and let the buying party make changes as *they* were ready for them.  What I'm seeing now is too haphazard for me to believe its deliberately part of an acquisition.

duane

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2109 on: September 12, 2014, 06:39:56 PM »

Yeah, I'm done trying to read the nuances of random events hoping for coh return.  I wanna press release.

Then I want to know where to send my $15 each month.

srmalloy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2110 on: September 12, 2014, 06:41:41 PM »
Sentinel+ only records what the client had access to, which doesn't include a lot of server side flags.
Does character have X costume pieces? Y/N, and so forth.
Badges are more complicated. Having the badge to access Ouroboros wouldn't give you access to the Citadel, the flag does. But the flag is triggered by getting the badge. If you can't get the badge because you already have it...Then you can never gain access to Ouroboros.
Unless I misunderstood something, Which is possible since I stopped paying too much attention after Codewalker said "Not going to work."
It depends on how much fine control you have over the import process. I see no technical reason why an import tool can't be configured so that, if the character being imported has badge X, that means that the import process needs to set flag Y in the character record that gets created. Granted, this is going to give the import tool a large number of special-case conditions for specific badges, but remember that the Sentinel+ tool was created to dump as much information about a character as possible without having access to any data not available to the client; an import tool would presumably be created with full access to the back-end data structures. Whether expending the resources to make an import tool aware of the links between badges and character flags is worthwhile is a value judgement that will have to be made as part of the decision-making about how to restore the game if and when an agreement is closed with NCSoft.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2111 on: September 12, 2014, 07:29:04 PM »

Irish, this would be fantastic. I've been rereading what was listed on Paragon wiki for ish 24.
can you list ish 24 changes that are not yet listed on paragon wiki?
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

Ohioknight

• Celebrating Columbus Day
  • Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
« Reply #2112 on: September 12, 2014, 07:34:42 PM »
Why is my name the one in bold? Nate's name should prolly be the one in bold. lol

Actually, I just did that because I didn't spell out your name and I was falling asleep when I made that post -- literally falling asleep -- at my desk.  Hitting enter was the last thing I did before stumbling over to brush my teeth for bed.
"Wow, a fat, sarcastic, Star Trek fan, you must be a devil with the ladies"

opprime2828

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2113 on: September 12, 2014, 08:05:27 PM »

I will say that I do have plans in regards to Galaxy City. I won't say what quite yet, but I think you guys will like it.

Back before the remake, I always hoped Galaxy City would become the entry pointo for lunar/space based missions.  Galaxy City redone as the high tech, space industry hub of the US/Paragon City. 

It could have occasional "launch sounds" like you had in Bloody Bay, which represented ships launching, etc. and have a build like Portal Corp but whose portals led to instellar locations the way that Portal Corp's led to multiversal locations.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2114 on: September 12, 2014, 08:18:23 PM »

Back before the remake, I always hoped Galaxy City would become the entry pointo for lunar/space based missions.  Galaxy City redone as the high tech, space industry hub of the US/Paragon City. 

It could have occasional "launch sounds" like you had in Bloody Bay, which represented ships launching, etc. and have a build like Portal Corp but whose portals led to instellar locations the way that Portal Corp's led to multiversal locations.

rebuild Galaxy City as a the launch area that takes us to the Lunar Zone....
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

Remaugen

• Elite Boss
  • Android Clan of One
« Reply #2115 on: September 12, 2014, 08:25:25 PM »

Awesome! Galaxy City rebuilt as a spaceport, that's too perfect!

We're almost there!   ;D
We're almost there!  ;D

The RNG hates me.

Nightmarer

• Boss
  • We all float down here
« Reply #2116 on: September 12, 2014, 08:31:26 PM »
That's why I asked Irish_Girl...

Cunning...

opprime2828

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2117 on: September 12, 2014, 08:39:10 PM »

Awesome! Galaxy City rebuilt as a spaceport, that's too perfect!

We're almost there!   ;D

The thing that would make this work, even post-redo, is the fact that Galaxy City was the site of a massive attack by a new space based threat.  The rebuilding also making it the "base of operations" for our now incredibly important space industry/defense/expansion would make sense, given that.  It's location within Paragon City also gives it closer access to Rikti space ship technology, which could be part of the basis for our own.

Which is kinda cool, too, if you think about it.  The Rikti invasion, our greatest threat to date, become the key to our defense against even bigger extra-terrestrial threat. 

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #2118 on: September 12, 2014, 08:41:54 PM »
Irish, this would be fantastic. I've been rereading what was listed on Paragon wiki for ish 24.
can you list ish 24 changes that are not yet listed on paragon wiki?

FYI, you can see everything that uses the "Issue 24" template here: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Category:Patch_Watchlist#Issue_24

That link has any page noted as being changed by I24, whether it's all new (e.g. several contacts) or modified (e.g. several power sets).

You can also see the pages that use "future content" templates here: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Category:Future_Content_Templates

Click on a template, then in the left toolbar menu click "what links here" to see the pages tagged by those templates. The only really useful one is here: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Special:WhatLinksHere/Template:Unimplemented

I would say that the most important parts of I24 being added, as far as any CoH 1.5 or beyond are concerned, are the contacts and storyline. Anything else is mechanics, which are going to be different anyways.

The second most important part is the apparent addition of LUA scripting to missions. I'm not a programmer, so I don't really have a good idea of what that actually means, but it's my understanding it would have given the devs almost infinitely more freedom to do crazy things during missions, from branching decisions to NPC behavior to whatever.
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Remaugen

• Elite Boss
  • Android Clan of One
« Reply #2119 on: September 12, 2014, 08:44:08 PM »

The thing that would make this work, even post-redo, is the fact that Galaxy City was the site of a massive attack by a new space based threat.  The rebuilding also making it the "base of operations" for our now incredibly important space industry/defense/expansion would make sense, given that.  It's location within Paragon City also gives it closer access to Rikti space ship technology, which could be part of the basis for our own.

Which is kinda cool, too, if you think about it.  The Rikti invasion, our greatest threat to date, become the key to our defense against even bigger extra-terrestrial threat.

Seriously cool really, and perfectly logical given that lore was heading towards the Moonbase, this definitely ranks with the "great ideas" and deserves to be looked at.

We're almost there!   ;D
We're almost there!  ;D

The RNG hates me.