Author Topic: And the mask comes off.  (Read 1749808 times)

Wizzyboy296

• Underling
Re: And the mask comes off.
« Reply #1720 on: September 09, 2014, 06:20:21 PM »
We're almost there!    ;D

Why are you saying that?  ???

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #1721 on: September 09, 2014, 06:21:37 PM »
So, you've hinted several times that CoH didn't use SQL Server

I must have been misquoted, because I never said that.

What I did say was that CoH didn't use SQL Server for static data, such as powers, missions, archetype modifier tables, etc.

It most certainly did use SQL for storage of dynamic data like character records and account data. Though from what I hear it used it rather badly -- simple load/store of entire rows, in some cases loading a full table into memory to query in the code instead of letting the db do it, and lots of unstructured data shoved into text and blob fields. I attribute this to a conflict between NCSoft corporate mandating the use of MS SQL, and the programmers who wanted to store things in flat files (see also the Cryptic Studios "SQL considered harmful" presentation I've linked before). Had there been an actual experienced DBA on staff during the design and implantation process, I suspect things would have ended up quite different.

You know, Codewalker...I'm starting to get the feeling you don't like databases. *grin*

On the contrary, I'm a huge fan of well-designed database schemas and leveraging things like SQL to enable database servers to optimize the queries, manage the caching, and guarantee consistency. The technology is mature and they are very, very good at it. PostgreSQL is my jam.

That said, I have no problem admitting that there are some data structures that relational storage is simply not the best choice for.

*EDIT: Except for MySql. MySql is terrible and if you use it for anything other than a simple read-mostly website, you are bad and should feel bad.

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
« Reply #1722 on: September 09, 2014, 06:23:30 PM »
IO slotting, Influence, and salvage might have been duplicated by one character taking all the good stuff out of base storage, making a Sentinel file out of it, then passing the IO's, Inf, etc. off to another character who is then backed up by another Sentinel file, rinse repeat. So I don't know if they would allow that.

For me, it's the BADGES and the COMPLETED STORIES and ARCS that I want back. I would be sad if my characters did not have all of their hideously expensive IO's still slotted, but the badges and records of the stories completed are that character's history. I would feel comfortable re-creating my characters if I had that at least. IF character date is never obtained, I would be very, very grateful if the new devs allowed us to use the Sentinel files to at least re-load our character's story history.

I am one of those for whom regaining all that history is very important.

Completed stories is exactly one of the things that is missing.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

ivanhedgehog

• New Efforts # 25,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #1723 on: September 09, 2014, 06:37:01 PM »
Is it time for pie??????? blueberry???pecan???chocolate???maybe even hot apple pie with bluebell ice cream....and sprinkles

Scendera

• Boss
  • Faith Manages.
« Reply #1724 on: September 09, 2014, 06:42:37 PM »
Ah, makes sense! Ty for the reply and apologies for teasing.

MM3squints

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1725 on: September 09, 2014, 06:49:57 PM »
Is it time for pie??????? blueberry???pecan???chocolate???maybe even hot apple pie with bluebell ice cream....and sprinkles

Pizookie sounds good right about now

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #1726 on: September 09, 2014, 06:52:34 PM »
Ah, makes sense! Ty for the reply and apologies for teasing.

No worries, I took it as being in jest. :)

Apogee

• Underling
« Reply #1727 on: September 09, 2014, 06:54:00 PM »

South Korea was observing a 3 day National holiday (Sept 7-9).  As it is early morning (Wed, Sept 10th) give them a chance to grab some coffee and get back into the swing of things :)

Remaugen

• Elite Boss
  • Android Clan of One
« Reply #1728 on: September 09, 2014, 06:55:49 PM »
Why are you saying that?  ???

Can't you feel it? Great things are happening in our community! I am certain that this is not a fluke or a false start, these are the post conceptual moments of our beloved City of Heroes rebirth! Bask in the afterglow cause soon the labor will start. . .

We're almost there!   ;D
We're almost there!  ;D

The RNG hates me.

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
« Reply #1729 on: September 09, 2014, 06:56:30 PM »
Indeed Remaugen, we are almost there!  ;D
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

Wizzyboy296

• Underling
« Reply #1730 on: September 09, 2014, 06:58:40 PM »
Can't you feel it? Great things are happening in our community! I am certain that this is not a fluke or a false start, these are the post conceptual moments of our beloved City of Heroes rebirth! Bask in the afterglow cause soon the labor will start. . .

We're almost there!   ;D

I can feel it! Yes! YEs! YES! OWER HOME WILL RETURN! :D ;D But by the way, will it be everything the same texture and 3D models and powers and everything in CoH Freedom the same? i like the character model just let me know! :)

We're almost there!   ;D

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #1731 on: September 09, 2014, 07:01:53 PM »
Can't you feel it?

I could, but then the nice policeman said I had to stop it.

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #1732 on: September 09, 2014, 07:10:42 PM »
@Remaugen, @Wizzyboy:  If it happens, I will celebrate.  But for all we know at this point, it may be next Christmas before we even hear any more news on what is happening behind the scenes.

mrultimate

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1733 on: September 09, 2014, 07:15:38 PM »

BADA BING! BADA BOOM!

BadWolf

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1734 on: September 09, 2014, 07:29:19 PM »
Can't you feel it?

They talk about us! Telling lies...well, THAT's no surprise!

Remaugen

• Elite Boss
  • Android Clan of One
« Reply #1735 on: September 09, 2014, 08:16:00 PM »

We soooo need a like button for moments like this one. . .

We're almost there!   ;D
We're almost there!  ;D

The RNG hates me.

Remaugen

• Elite Boss
  • Android Clan of One
« Reply #1736 on: September 09, 2014, 08:31:18 PM »
But by the way, will it be everything the same texture and 3D models and powers and everything in CoH Freedom the same? i like the character model just let me know! :)

We're almost there!   ;D

I really don't know, but I think (just suspect really) that Irish Girl (APR) is ripping many of the existing textures from the game to import into her UE4 engine, so I have a feeling that most of the look and feel will remain, but with improvements.

We're almost there!   ;D
We're almost there!  ;D

The RNG hates me.

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #1737 on: September 09, 2014, 08:37:03 PM »
We're almost there!   ;D
Again, in point of fact we don't know that.  I practically feel obliged to quote Inigo Montoya here: "You keep using that word.  I do not think it means what you think it means."

Relitner

• Boss
  • ree-LITE-ner
« Reply #1738 on: September 09, 2014, 08:38:56 PM »
Again, in point of fact we don't know that.  I practically feel obliged to quote Inigo Montoya here: "You keep using that word.  I do not think it means what you think it means."

Stop rhyming! I mean it!

<.<
>.>

...anybody want a peanut?
in nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti amen

slickriptide

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1739 on: September 09, 2014, 08:41:52 PM »
So, a question for @Downix - If this, ah, "holding company" comes into being, whose primary purpose is to act as a licensor of the CoX IP and possibly a "publisher" of the I-23 server, would this company be limited in the types of licenses it could grant? That is, would this IP company be able to license a novel, or a CCG, or an action figure, or would it be limited strictly to licensing MMORPG versions of CoX?