Author Topic: And the mask comes off.  (Read 1749235 times)

amrobinson

• Lord Spittle
  • Lieutenant
  • Thermal Bloom
Re: And the mask comes off.
« Reply #1380 on: September 07, 2014, 02:59:59 AM »
  lol :) pie is always good.

Not pie, cake!

http://www.vexxarr.com/archive.php?seldate=090709

I loved blasters, from my very early days until the last day of play.

My signature character was Kid Shockwave (hopefully known to fellow incarnates on Freedom), an elec/energy/elec blaster, and I had a ball with him.

Even though fire blasters are clearly more powerful.

Kid traveled through 3 servers, before I was done with him.

brought to you by
"I'm sorry, did you want to be set on fire as well?" - Dark Malice, 50+ Fire/Dark Corruptor
- Freedom, Champion servers

amrobinson

• Lord Spittle
  • Lieutenant
  • Thermal Bloom
« Reply #1381 on: September 07, 2014, 03:05:52 AM »
I myself had no problem getting to the doors in the hollows, it was waiting for the other folks to show up. It always seemed like there were 2 or 3 people who never seem to make it. So yeah, its a colossal waste of time just hanging out for an hour or two. Never mind there was no trainer or hospital in the zone. That doesn't make for a good impression for new players when the contacts push folks to the hollows. A few boring waits at doors or long delays will certainly sour folks on the zone and maybe even the game.

Well the devs decided that yes, the zone was "broken" and revised it. It was *too late* the damage was done. It was something that should have been fixed while it was on test server.

At this point, that's the past, mistakes should be used as a learning experience. I'd rather focus on the first priority.

Getting the game back!

I swear, I was not referring to, um...you can't prove anything!

(honey, lock the doors!)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 03:19:34 AM by amrobinson »
"I'm sorry, did you want to be set on fire as well?" - Dark Malice, 50+ Fire/Dark Corruptor
- Freedom, Champion servers

hopelives

• Minion
« Reply #1382 on: September 07, 2014, 03:45:05 AM »
Not pie, cake!

http://www.vexxarr.com/archive.php?seldate=090709

I loved blasters, from my very early days until the last day of play.

My signature character was Kid Shockwave (hopefully known to fellow incarnates on Freedom), an elec/energy/elec blaster, and I had a ball with him.

Even though fire blasters are clearly more powerful.

Kid traveled through 3 servers, before I was done with him.

brought to you by

oh no, you forced me to say it.. " the cake is a lie".   lol (joking)   I miss my blasters.

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #1383 on: September 07, 2014, 03:45:15 AM »
That's on the player. Don't blame the AT. You can't expect to do damage when you don't take, enhance, and use your attacks.  You actually hold aggro better when you mix attacks(damage+gauntlet) with Taunt as well.

I...uh...wasn't.  I wasn't even talking bad about them.  This was literally at the very start of the game.  He never dropped aggro, he never died, and he had a team full of people to kill stuff for him.  So he wasn't even a bad tank.  There was just literally no point for him to attack.  Plus that was never related to aggro, it was related to damage.  And at the very start of the game a tank was not capable of herding up whole maps and killing everything quickly like they were later in the game they just didn't have the DPS which was the point of my post.  They were what all tanks in every game are.  Meat shields.  It wasn't about aggro because no tank in CoH should have aggro trouble ever.  Pre Issue 1 or current issue 23 aggro should have never been a concern for any tank.

Exactly. And some Tanker primaries were better than others at getting and holding aggro. WP/ was never that good at it, yet my very best Tanker was WP/DB. The key? You could slot the area attacks in /DB to grab more aggro (and some of the IO sets for WP/ had taunt boosts, too). It took a careful build, but I got that character to be one hell of an aggro magnet...and quite survivable (MSTF, etc), too.

My example was before /DB.  Before Willpower.  Before IO's and before sets.  And again, had nothing to do with aggro.  It had to do with Issue 0 tank damage.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1384 on: September 07, 2014, 03:47:02 AM »
Also: keep in mind, at the beginning of the game, some mez toggles meant the tank COULDN'T move unless they wanted to remove their mez protection.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Achilles6

• Minion
« Reply #1385 on: September 07, 2014, 04:24:20 AM »
ahhhhhhh...the "good ol' days". *cough* *cough*

Pep Rally

• Boss
« Reply #1386 on: September 07, 2014, 04:34:18 AM »
I...uh...wasn't.  I wasn't even talking bad about them.  This was literally at the very start of the game.  He never dropped aggro, he never died, and he had a team full of people to kill stuff for him.  So he wasn't even a bad tank.  There was just literally no point for him to attack.  Plus that was never related to aggro, it was related to damage.  And at the very start of the game a tank was not capable of herding up whole maps and killing everything quickly like they were later in the game they just didn't have the DPS which was the point of my post.  They were what all tanks in every game are.  Meat shields.  It wasn't about aggro because no tank in CoH should have aggro trouble ever.  Pre Issue 1 or current issue 23 aggro should have never been a concern for any tank.

My example was before /DB.  Before Willpower.  Before IO's and before sets.  And again, had nothing to do with aggro.  It had to do with Issue 0 tank damage.

My point was that Tanks did have good DPS if the Tank was built to have good DPS.
My blasters would have low DPS, too, if I only took the first attack, and didn't slot it.

Pep Rally

• Boss
« Reply #1387 on: September 07, 2014, 04:44:12 AM »
Also: keep in mind, at the beginning of the game, some mez toggles meant the tank COULDN'T move unless they wanted to remove their mez protection.

Yeah, most Invuls were either Tele-tanks, or perma-unstoppable Empath heartattack inducers. Since I was only level 30 by the time I3 rolled around, I never got to play as the latter, and I refused to be the former because cheerleaders just shouldn't teleport under any circumstances.

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #1388 on: September 07, 2014, 04:50:58 AM »
Catching this almost a week later (My school district opened three weeks ago, Fall Rush hasn't died down just yet), I am impressed.  NCSoft may not be completely heartless after all.  Coming up on two years and we haven't completely disappeared as one expects when a game is closed has to stand for something.

Thanks for the work behind the scenes, Downix, and I'll try supress my yin to fish for details on a tentative discussion until something has been officially done.

"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

hopelives

• Minion
« Reply #1389 on: September 07, 2014, 05:09:54 AM »
...  cheerleaders just shouldn't teleport under any circumstances.

on that point, I would have to say, " why not?" lol :)

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #1390 on: September 07, 2014, 05:20:40 AM »
Would it not be easier for Codewalker to port Icon instead?

Porting a program that loads another program and modifies parts of it over to a completely different game engine is like porting a Ferrari from a Navy Battleship to Swedish Meatballs. It's a nonsensical thing to say.

If you want a character creator in Unreal, you have to make one. That means creating the code to run the user interface, and to load appropriate 3D models and textures, skin them to a skeleton, make animations if you want any, etc.

You probably can't even use the GL ripping tool that the revival team is using to get geometry for the zones. It can pull static models, but models for costume pieces are far from static and have already been distorted to skin them to the player skeleton by the time the model is rendered. Reversing that unknown distortion (the exact transformation varies from frame to frame) would be almost as much work as just creating new models.

In other words, no, that's not something I'll be doing. :P

hopelives

• Minion
« Reply #1391 on: September 07, 2014, 05:33:59 AM »

I guess if I had a question it would be this : If, NCsoft made the deal,which included i23, would it then be possible when the deal is closed,for someone to load the game onto a server and then hit the "on" switch and "Viola", the game is ready to play ?   (be kind, I am not a tech )  :)

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1392 on: September 07, 2014, 05:42:03 AM »
Porting a program that loads another program and modifies parts of it over to a completely different game engine is like porting a Ferrari from a Navy Battleship to Swedish Meatballs. It's a nonsensical thing to say.

If you want a character creator in Unreal, you have to make one. That means creating the code to run the user interface, and to load appropriate 3D models and textures, skin them to a skeleton, make animations if you want any, etc.

You probably can't even use the GL ripping tool that the revival team is using to get geometry for the zones. It can pull static models, but models for costume pieces are far from static and have already been distorted to skin them to the player skeleton by the time the model is rendered. Reversing that unknown distortion (the exact transformation varies from frame to frame) would be almost as much work as just creating new models.

In other words, no, that's not something I'll be doing. :P

Mmmmm... meatball covered Ferrari.
Cogito, Ergo... eh?

Fable

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1393 on: September 07, 2014, 05:42:37 AM »
I guess if I had a question it would be this : If, NCsoft made the deal,which included i23, would it then be possible when the deal is closed,for someone to load the game onto a server and then hit the "on" switch and "Viola", the game is ready to play ?   (be kind, I am not a tech )  :)

I would say no. There's still the store to open, accounts systems to set up, I'm sure they'd have to test the servers, and a ton of other stuff I'm sure. But that's just a guess, I'm sure someone more qualified will chime in. Probably saying the same thing. Months I'd say.
"oh, by the way, we own City of Heroes now: who wants pie."

Dr. Bad Guy

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1394 on: September 07, 2014, 05:49:43 AM »
Mmmmm... meatball covered Ferrari.

Mmmmmmm...Ferrari on a STTEEEKKK!!!!

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1395 on: September 07, 2014, 05:54:40 AM »

Being kind, let's just call that a very high level view.

And while trying not to be a jerk, the following is probably not nearly all inclusive.

Some things that will have to be covered include: What servers? Who's admining them? Syncing all the systems (database, engine, clients). Providing security for the servers. Testing the servers. Testing the clients. Testing the engine. Web site? In-game store setup. Advertising the game is coming back. Calculating how many clients the server can support and how many could be expected. Calculating costs for running the game. Calculating cost for subscription. What to do with vet rewards and the like. Auditing the game (should have come earlier in this list). Beginning to look into the needs of the CoH 1.5 group. I'm guessing lawyers will need to be involved somehow. Initial cost outlay. 

and oh yeah, setting up the new company who does all of that and hiring de peoples who will do the stuff needed. :)

Hope that's not too depressing.
Cogito, Ergo... eh?

hopelives

• Minion
« Reply #1396 on: September 07, 2014, 05:59:07 AM »
Being kind, let's just call that a very high level view.

And while trying not to be a jerk, the following is probably not nearly all inclusive.

Some things that will have to be covered include: What servers? Who's admining them? Syncing all the systems (database, engine, clients). Providing security for the servers. Testing the servers. Testing the clients. Testing the engine. Web site? In-game store setup. Advertising the game is coming back. Calculating how many clients the server can support and how many could be expected. Calculating costs for running the game. Calculating cost for subscription. What to do with vet rewards and the like. Auditing the game (should have come earlier in this list). Beginning to look into the needs of the CoH 1.5 group. I'm guessing lawyers will need to be involved somehow. Initial cost outlay. 

and oh yeah, setting up the new company who does all of that and hiring de peoples who will do the stuff needed. :)

Hope that's not too depressing.
oh, ok, thank you for the clarification.  :)

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1397 on: September 07, 2014, 06:05:39 AM »
oh, ok, thank you for the clarification.  :)

Believe me, I'd rather things went your way too. :)
Cogito, Ergo... eh?

ParagonKid

• Underling
« Reply #1398 on: September 07, 2014, 06:20:06 AM »
CoH taught us the greatest super power of all is to command attention just by saying "Ah-urrr!" and punching your palm.

Pep Rally

• Boss
« Reply #1399 on: September 07, 2014, 06:24:15 AM »

on that point, I would have to say, " why not?" lol :)

If you studied the cheer-science you wouldn't need to ask.

The danger of setting off a cheer-bomb is just too great.

In layman's terms, a cheerleader's natural positive energy could react violently with subspace as (s)he passes through during 'ports, which could lead to a chain reaction, and cheerplosion of epic proportions. 

Do you want to be responsible for the cheer-cloud that would cover the eastern seaboard, causing untold peppiness, and choreographed athletic dancing?

I sure don't.