Author Topic: And the mask comes off.  (Read 1747029 times)

darkgob

• Elite Boss
Re: And the mask comes off.
« Reply #4240 on: November 23, 2014, 07:13:06 AM »
To be nice i always write it out as something like 7 November 2014. The actual standard is more like 20141107, but that's less human readable for most people even if it simplifies chronological sorts. In any event i have to consciously force myself to do that weird Month/Day/Year thing on forms that require it (of which there are many), it just seems so illogical.

Unix time or GTFO.  I will not acknowledge any display of time that is not pure seconds since 1970.

Gaystar

• Underling
« Reply #4241 on: November 23, 2014, 07:33:12 AM »
Just want to say hello to everyone...
I've been in Gotham for a while..but Batman got a little jealous of Robin and I. So, I figured it was time to leave there ... 8)

When we get this old gal back up and running, be sure I'll be there!
Does my hair look O.K.?

Brigadine

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4242 on: November 23, 2014, 05:16:11 PM »
You guys want to talk about confusing measurements....

Try working on a 1980s truck from an American company (GMC Sierra) built in Canada, and worked on by a bunch of different yahoos over the years.
Every other bolt was metric, every other other was imperial.
Its like that on my 1997 explorer. Built in Detroit sold and stayed in Colorado. its half metric half standard...

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4243 on: November 23, 2014, 05:29:39 PM »
Unix time or GTFO.  I will not acknowledge any display of time that is not pure seconds since 1970.

Funny that, I always use GMT because anyone not in the united states uses gmt.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Remaugen

• Elite Boss
  • Android Clan of One
« Reply #4244 on: November 23, 2014, 05:37:45 PM »
You guys want to talk about confusing measurements....

Try working on a 1980s truck from an American company (GMC Sierra) built in Canada, and worked on by a bunch of different yahoos over the years.
Every other bolt was metric, every other other was imperial.

We had an '83 Chevy Caprice Classic that was assembled in Canada with American subassemblies, same thing, half the bolts were metric.
We're almost there!  ;D

The RNG hates me.

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #4245 on: November 24, 2014, 05:09:12 AM »
UK for you  ;) Never understood the method of putting the month first ???

I figure it's because most people, when talking and asked the date, will say: "It's November seventh,' rather than "It's the seventh of November." Or just the number alone, since the month is assumed to be known.
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Remaugen

• Elite Boss
  • Android Clan of One
« Reply #4246 on: November 24, 2014, 05:27:15 AM »
I always thought that military date was far more logical, today would be 20141123 (Year/Month/Day) and to be more precise the time would provide the last four additional digits 201411232126 (9:26 PM as I am typing). . .
We're almost there!  ;D

The RNG hates me.

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #4247 on: November 24, 2014, 05:22:48 PM »
I figure it's because most people, when talking and asked the date, will say: "It's November seventh,' rather than "It's the seventh of November." Or just the number alone, since the month is assumed to be known.

No body I've ever met in the UK does that. We'd just say "It's the 7th".  Sometimes we might add "Of November" after that.  Never heard anyone say "November 7th".

MM3squints

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4248 on: November 24, 2014, 05:51:12 PM »
I always thought that military date was far more logical, today would be 20141123 (Year/Month/Day) and to be more precise the time would provide the last four additional digits 201411232126 (9:26 PM as I am typing). . .

Never seen it like that. From what I was taught we used the simplified NATO standard where it was 2 digits of the day/First 3 of the month/ last 2 of the year so today would be 24NOV14. On a single digit, you needed to put in the leading 0 like 05DEC14. The actual NATO standard is Date-HHMM-Zone-Month-Year is the same fassion

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #4249 on: November 24, 2014, 07:04:29 PM »
Just want to say hello to everyone...
I've been in Gotham for a while..but Batman got a little jealous of Robin and I. So, I figured it was time to leave there ... 8)

When we get this old gal back up and running, be sure I'll be there!
its ok star :)I think many of us is in a different location, myself  I spend some of my time in the delta quadrant and in kingsmouth.
Welcome and I also hope City of comes back.
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Teikiatsu

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4250 on: November 24, 2014, 07:58:35 PM »
I work in a company that's going global so all are dates are becoming (for example)  24/11/14 and 24 Nov 14.  That's fine, no problem.

What I do not understand is the inversion of commas and periods.  What I would see as 1, 234.56 is being presented as 1.234,56

Makes my head hurt.
Virtue Server - Main: Midnight Lightning Dark/Elec/Psi Defender

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfKUPgy_xH8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EitO6Wq_9A

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
« Reply #4251 on: November 24, 2014, 08:04:17 PM »
I work in a company that's going global so all are dates are becoming (for example)  24/11/14 and 24 Nov 14.  That's fine, no problem.

What I do not understand is the inversion of commas and periods.  What I would see as 1, 234.56 is being presented as 1.234,56

Makes my head hurt.

Some people just want to watch the world burn.
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

MM3squints

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4252 on: November 24, 2014, 08:13:05 PM »

Makes my head hurt.

In data people use commas for CSV files, but replacing commas for periods and vise versa, the only explanation I have for that is probably that is how your system interprets the information to be seen as how the actual value supposed to be. That would be strange and confusing why they would do something like, but could be a weird limitation of the system.

Teikiatsu

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4253 on: November 24, 2014, 09:36:19 PM »
I've seen it on reports for people to read, not just in our upcoming SAP system.

MM3squints

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4254 on: November 24, 2014, 10:17:46 PM »
I've seen it on reports for people to read, not just in our upcoming SAP system.

That's strange, have fun with SAP implementation. (Well you will, but your data people especially if your company is consolidating to a MDM will not xD) We just had ours and the only joy I can say is it is something to put on your resume for crisis management xD

BadWolf

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4255 on: November 25, 2014, 12:04:28 AM »
Never seen it like that. From what I was taught we used the simplified NATO standard where it was 2 digits of the day/First 3 of the month/ last 2 of the year so today would be 24NOV14. On a single digit, you needed to put in the leading 0 like 05DEC14. The actual NATO standard is Date-HHMM-Zone-Month-Year is the same fassion

The reason to do it YYYYMMDDHHMMSS (Year, Month, Day, Hour, Minute, Second) is that when you put that in a spreadsheet, you can sort things chronologically simply by putting them in numeric order. I've seen businesses record dates that way as well. It's less important now that spreadsheet programs are smart enough to read dates directly and put them into any one of a number of different formats, but back in the early days of computing it was the easiest way to make a chronologically-sortable database.

Minotaur

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4256 on: November 25, 2014, 01:10:59 AM »
No body I've ever met in the UK does that. We'd just say "It's the 7th".  Sometimes we might add "Of November" after that.  Never heard anyone say "November 7th".

And if talking about a date decently far off, it would be "November the 7th" or "the 7th of November", never "November 7th".

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4257 on: November 25, 2014, 02:08:56 AM »
You may think $15 is a lot for a maintenance mode of COH... but let's not forget that when COH comes back...it will not have the same amount of subscribers. If 10,000 people come back I will be surprised. Let's also not forget COH Legacy also needs to pay for... getting the IP which none of us are aware of the cost. It would not surprise me if the IP etc... is a $2 million endeavor.

10,000 subs at $15 a month...that will take at least a year to pay. That's not including paying the server costs...paragon market costs... etc etc...

If people want COH back... guess what... it's gonna cost money from everyone. The sooner the startup costs are recouped...the sooner they can then reduce the monthly costs.
It may come down to math.

Would we get more or less subscribers at $10 a month vs $15 a month?   I'm going to guess more.    I don't think we can assume the number would be the same at each price.

And I know they would get $20 a month from me at $10 a month.....vs $15 a month at $15 a month.   Maybe I'm the only one.

And are we forgetting that the game made more money with a F2P option?    It not as simple as "charge more money-make more money".   I would think there would be a sweet spot in there where the amount of money coming in would be maximized.

To be nice i always write it out as something like 7 November 2014. The actual standard is more like 20141107, but that's less human readable for most people even if it simplifies chronological sorts. In any event i have to consciously force myself to do that weird Month/Day/Year thing on forms that require it (of which there are many), it just seems so illogical.
Same here.   Ever since I spent some time in the military, day/month/year makes so much more sense.   I got used to writing 01Jan15.   It makes sense to go from biggest to smallest or vice versa.

Similar thing happened to me with the clock.   I don't get why we just don't do the 24 hour clock like the military does.  The am/pm thing seems kind illogical and goofy.   It would take everyone about a week to get used to it.   1600 makes a lot more sense than 4:00pm to me.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #4258 on: November 25, 2014, 03:35:58 AM »
Note (for those of us who do dates differently): last visit November 6. Not July 7.

(This is why you'll never see me write dates in that format. It's always written out.)

My boss is a Brit, at a branch of a British company in (of all places) a minor metro west of Chicago. The "culture clash" jokes never seem to get old, but a lot of the dates (on test equipment, computer software, etc.) show as Brit/European standard, rather than US.

We have a lot more fun than we probably should with the culture differences...
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Teikiatsu

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4259 on: November 25, 2014, 03:49:23 AM »
That's strange, have fun with SAP implementation. (Well you will, but your data people especially if your company is consolidating to a MDM will not xD) We just had ours and the only joy I can say is it is something to put on your resume for crisis management xD

I'm one of the data people :)  I've been transitioning our quality standards into a format that is useable by the Oversight and Assurance teams.  I'm also being trained to train other people.  It's been a hoot.